Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: What to do about Oily skin

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 12, Views: 154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
albert99
Cadiz, KY

May 2, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #3453799

My skin gets really oily a lot. I've tried different cleansers, but all they do is make my face feel really dry and cause it to get oilier. Any tips?
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

May 2, 2007
11:49 AM

Post #3454843

As you age you will be thankful you had oily skin as a teenage. You won't age as fast as your peers.
GiddyMoon
Carmichael, CA

May 7, 2007
12:00 PM

Post #3472045

Try philosophy's Purity...it is a very gentle cleanser. If you send me a Dmail, I have samples I will send you so you can try before you buy.
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3539172

I am almost 66 and my skin has been oily and prone to breakouts since I turned 14. I finally found that if I wash my face with GOJO several times a wk. it helps a great deal. Especially with breakouts. I wash my face each night and every morning with whatever soap is on hand. Then the real kicker is, while my face is still damp, I pour out some mineral oil in the palm of my hand, rub them together and spread it on my face and throat. After a while I blot the remainder off. The reason for this? Oil floats on water. The oil holds the water against your skin while it is being absorbed. Take a look at the ingre. list on a lot of moisturizers and you will see mineral oil listed among the very first things. I have been doing this (except for the GOJO which I started using about 4/5 mos. ago), for yrs. and I have almost no wrinkles. Give it a try and see if it works as good for you as it does for me. LIZ P.S. The GOJO helps remove dead skin cells. Just remember to rinse well. Rub it on with your figertips.
stlorganics
Saint Louis, MO

May 31, 2007
4:58 AM

Post #3556006

albert99-

When looking at products check out ingredients labels also. Here's a link to a article written about ingredients in cosmetics. It lists which ones to stay away from. When I switched products, I had to totally clean house to get rid of toxic/carcinogenic personal hygiene products in our house. One of the replies above mentions mineral oil. Most of the products I used in the past contained this, but now I stay away from this ingredient. If your interested read the link below.

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/envirohealth0206.htm
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #3576473

I use to have acne and my father-in-law told me to take vitamin A, then, it was too oily and he said to take zinc and it worked. He was really into health and vitamins. That was 25 years ago and know they are pushing vitamin A on the skin for wrinkles. Everyone thinks that I am 15 years younger than I am. Maybe his advice truely works.

Loren
girlgroupgirl

June 8, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3589527

I have always had oily skin. It was recommended that I begin washing with olive oil soap. Crazy as it sounds, it has WORKED. I also grease myself up with shea butter.
I know, again NUTTY.
However, what I have stopped is my skin from producing too much sebum. I have not had a single black or white head since using this regime. Once a week I will scrub with sugar too.
My skin has never been better (except for the hives I have right now in response to either sun or sunscreen)...

Sometimes it is the last thing you think might work will be the best!
tellicovillager
Loudon, TN

June 13, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3608517

Your oily skin will prevent you from wrinkling. I am 50, have oily skin, am a pale faced white girl, and everyone says I look 30 something. Just wash with soap, but use a god exfoliating pad. The soap sterilizes your skin, which will prevent breakouts. If you do get a breakout, which I do in the summer from rubbing my face, use neosporin. A pimple is an infection, nothing more. Treat it like an infection. Put neosporin on it at night with a bandaid to cover it. Exfoliate everyday with ordinary soap and an exfoliating pad. Don't waste your money on all of those skin creams. They are junk.
loriann978
Billerica, MA

June 18, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3627530

Have you been using a toner? Often times our skin becomes oily from working too hard to get back to it's natural pH... which is not the same as the water we wash it with. You can get toners that are pH correct that do the work for your skin so it doesn't have to overwork and become oily.
DanielleNicole
Orange, MA

July 28, 2007
7:15 AM

Post #3788343

I used to have really oily skin too. Now I jsut wash my face in the morning to remove dead skincells, and take vitamins B-2 and B-6. The combination helps improve the over-all appearance of your sking, and naturally moisturize it so that your face doesnt dry out and resort to oil production. Both are cheap and can be found at pretty much any drug store. Good luck
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3864692

Lots and lots of info here, might get a bit confusing, lol. I always had very oily skin too, until recently. A few months ago I tried some products by Neutrogena and I can't believe the difference they've made in my skin. I choose the Anti-Blemish Anti-Wrinkle Cleanser and Moisturizer since I'm 33 and still have breakouts. They also have an Oil-Free Moisturizer that is great, it gives just enough moisture...not too much to make you shine, but not too little to make your skin start over producing oil.

Any cleanser or soap that leaves your skin feeling tight after washing is too drying.

There are a lot of great products out there, you just have to find what works for you. All skin care products are not created equal, so keep up the search till you find what's right for you...sneak a peek at what others in your family use, that may be a good place to start.
cayden
Bhopal
India

November 5, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #4158862

Most skin care products for oily skin have a lot of alcohol in them, specifically SD40 alcohol, which strips the acid mantle from the skin and is very drying which often kicks the sebaceous glands into overdrive so they produce even more oil. You need products which will hydrate the skin without using oils (especially mineral oil) and that don't contain harsh alcohols. I have found products that is fabulous for oily skin. I realize this isn't an advertising forum, so you can visit if you want more info. http://www.beautifulpure.com Organic Skin Care

Good Luck!
CindyCindy
freehold
United States

March 19, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #4683478

I use face wash in the morning and before going to bed, if my face gets too oily in the middle of the day, I use the face wash around 3 - 4 ish pm. And 2 times a week I exfoliate.

But make sure you get a gentle face wash, so your face doesn't over dry.
Good luck,

http://www.perfumecenter.com

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America