Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Waiting to Plant After Amending Soil?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HighCntryGrdnr
Kremmling, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #3455014

My garden prep hasn't been going as quickly as I'd like, I'm still weeding out most of my beds. The previous owners of our home built it and didn't really prepare a bed. Its my guess that they just poured top soil on top on the grass and weeds and built beds. Anyway, I'm planning to amend the soil with compost in the bed I have completed this weekend, but its also time I should be planting my onions, beets, radishes, etc. Is it ok to plant the next day after ameding or should I wait till next weekend? I'm a little worried about getting them in the ground ont ime since we have such a short growing season.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3459393

I'm just guessing, but I don't think you'd have to wait... I mean, when you plant something in a flower pot, and mix all the soil and everything, you don't have to wait(as far as I know, lol)...so, I'd think you'd be ok...hopefully you'll get a more confident answer...we already know I don't always know what I'm doing... :)

Kristie
HighCntryGrdnr
Kremmling, CO
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3461753

Kristie, your responses are always very helpful, another perpective is appreciated. I guess the reason I even worried about amending then planting is that I'm using a slow release fertilizer. Wouldn't it be better to let it set in before planting? The soil would be richer for germination. All I read was to water the soil after amending and leave it until you plant. Just wasn't sure if the more time the better.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3462181

Well, I think the point of slow release is that you don't have to fertilize your plants as often, kinda like the slow release tylenol...don't have to take it as often. I think it makes sure there is a certain amount of fertilizer at all times...it doesn't build up. Also, I think they say that fertilizing seeds until they're so big could burn the roots of the plant...so, maybe waiting would be bad? Don't know, but I think you'd be fine...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America