Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

clean the fireplace brick

Ann Arbor, MI

I have red brick fireplace. the bricks around the fireplace door is stained heavly with smoke. Do anyone have idea how to clean the stain off?I used TSP to try to wash it off. It just doesn't work.
Please, I'll appreciate anyone who can help.
thanks
Crystal

Thumbnail by jameswanshi
Russiaville, IN

Use oven off spray cleaner. Dont worry about the preheat just spray it on let it soak for about 3-5 minutes then wipe it off with a corse towel

Ann Arbor, MI

Where do I buy oven off spray cleaner? What's the brand name? by the way, what is a corse towel?
thank you

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Rough towel (coarse towel)... but use a mask. Fumes are noxious. Get it in the grocery aisle with soaps and other cleaning products,

A weak dilute of muriatic acid also works but I don't think I'd want to use it inside my house.

Knightdale, NC

To clean smoke damaged brick around a fireplace (Interior) or (exterior), use clorox and water 50/50 mix in a spray blottle. Soak it good but remember to protect other surfaces (hardwood floors, carpet, decks, etc.). For real bad stain, use 100% clorox. Let it stand and watch it work. The brick and motar begin to look like new right before your eyes. You don't even have to rinse as that could make a mess. The stains literally just disappear.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.