Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: What is Manure with Composted Hummus?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

May 2, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #3457150

Is a product that is called "Manure with Composted Humus" (.05-.05-.05) a potting soil? The person at the box store said it is and it kind of looks like one (although it's VERY clumpy) but I'm a bit suspicious. Other than the (.05-.05-.05) there are no labeling details about the product. I don't understand why it's called "Manure with composted Humus" instead of "Compost Humus with Manure" if it is in fact a potting soil. The name sounds like mostly manure with comosted hummus added.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #3457251

It's not potting soil, it's an amendment for you to use in your garden (in the ground, not pots). And I would never trust anything the people at the box stores tell you, with a few exceptions they generally know nothing about plants and gardening.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

May 2, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3457430

Oh great, and i just potted several Dahlias and some herbs in this stuff (mixed with spag peat and Perlite). There's no way I can repot until Friday. Any guess that's likely going to happen to these young plants if they're left in the Manure stuff for two days?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3457442

If it's been properly composted then I guess it should be OK for a couple days, but if it hasn't been properly composted then it could burn the roots (if it wasn't properly composted you would notice a strong manure smell, if you didn't notice that then it's decomposed enough). The real problem is going to be drainage, so be really, really careful about watering until you can get them replanted, but if you put enough perlite in maybe that won't be a problem. I've never tried to grow plants in something like this so I honestly don't know what will happen.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

May 2, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #3457483

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed until Friday. There was NO manure smell whatsoever, which is partly why I questioned just how much manure it contained in the first place. .05-.05-.05 seems like very little fertilizer (I presume all from the manure).
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2007
9:50 AM

Post #3458427

The reason you don't smell it is because it's composted already. I imagine there's a decent amount of composted manure in there, it's not like it's hard to find or expensive or anything.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3460593

it's not potting soil it is probably just composted manure and maybe 1% humus. If you don't mix soil with it, it will probably just wash away.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America