Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: Datura blooms hurt by full sun?

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 11, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2007
10:39 AM

Post #3458661

I grew daturas and brugs in zone 6, in NW CT, and they did great. Now we've moved to zone 8, in SC, and I'm having a difficult time with the adjustment. I bought two datura plants from a nursery, while my own seedlings are slowly growing, because I just can't wait to see some blooms! I put the nursery plants in the ground and they seem to be doing well, but their first two blooms were just about to open when they just wilted and drooped. Is full sun maybe too much for them? I remember even up north, they would get a tad droopy in the sun, but they always perked up in the early evening. I've never had the blooms just droop and poop out before they even opened! Before I plant my seedlings, I hope y'all will have some advice for me! The brugs I brought from CT are in a semi-shady spot, and after being hurt by the frost we had a few weeks ago, they are rebounding and doing well.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3459503

It appears that we're sharing the same problem. I'm relatively new to datura, but has grown Brugs and did well with them. I first noticed Datura growing around our hot and humid area last year. On a business strip in town. There is this Insurance Co. has a shrubby flowers which bear flowers like that of "Moon Flowers". A closer look, this plant was grown in a tiny bit corner of concret walks, and foundation! Talking about heat tolerance! Come to find out it WAS datura. I had a cutting then, took home, poke a hole in the soil, and kept it in partial shade. It rooted and flowered for me, and did well the rest of the season. This spring too I've plenty of seedlings awaiting for me to harden them off and put into the ground. While waiting, I purchased a mature White Datura from a local source. Well, what happened? It wilt big time in the hot sun sitting in the pot. (So it isn't the plant itself). But where the plant has been raised, acclimate nursery plants into our hot weather is the key. Hope others will take note of our misfortune on Datura and try to avoid repeating it.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3462084

My dats are always grown in the full, blazing hot sun. I grow them in containers and the ones that get full sun compared to the ones that get some shade, always grow bigger and faster. They will wilt in the middle of the day in self defense but always perk up in the late afternoon.

X
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #3463464

Hey X-
Just out of curiousity, what size containers do you use for your Datura? My gardening space is my roof deck, which is blazing hot sun all day too- so I'm trying to find the happy medium that will hold water well in the heat (In the summer I usually water twice a day on real scorchers) and provide a large enough container for the Datura. My Dat seedlings this year are doing fantastic!
Samantha
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3463712

Hi,

The picture in this thread will show you the size I use .. I put 4 plants per container

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/719636/

I also fill half to 3/4 of the container with half composted grass clippings and the rest ProMix. I don't use soil anymore.

X
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2007
8:57 AM

Post #3465006

Thanks X- I'm hooked on ProMix too, but I haven't tried grass clippings. I dream of the day when I'll be able to compost :-)
Take care-
Sam I Am
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
9:08 AM

Post #3465035

The nice things about partially composted grass clippings is that the decomposition warms up the roots and produces a lot of nitrogen. If you look at the picture again, you will see that the plants on the left are bigger than the plants on the right. The reason being the right planter's grass clippings weren't as old as the ones on the left. When I mow my lawn, I bag it and dump it all in a pile in the back yard until I have enough to fill large containers. I turn the mound over a few times a week. Make the mound twice as large as you will need because as the grass composts it will shrink considerably. I also will put empty 2 ltr bottles in the bottom of large containers as well so I don't have to use so much other stuff.

X
PhlowrsInPhilly
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3465268

You know X, although I don't have a yard, as I live in South Philly, I bet somebody around here would love to unload some grass clippings- you think I could compost grass if I bought two of those muck buckets, leaving them in one and then flipping it over into the other one every few days? I think I'm gonna try it- I've never grown Datura or Brugs, and I'm doing both this year- I've been soaking up advice like crazy :-)
Samantha
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
10:48 AM

Post #3465289

It's worth a try .. the partially composted grass clippings are amazing for what they do to plants.

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #3465794

X, great info. Thank you for sharing the tip. I use Promix too, but never thought mix partial composted grass clippings.
Kim
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3465938

I don't mix them together. I put a bottom layer of grass clippings then ProMix

X

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3467308

Ah, clarification. Thank you. My bad.
Kim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America