Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Datura blooms hurt by full sun?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I grew daturas and brugs in zone 6, in NW CT, and they did great. Now we've moved to zone 8, in SC, and I'm having a difficult time with the adjustment. I bought two datura plants from a nursery, while my own seedlings are slowly growing, because I just can't wait to see some blooms! I put the nursery plants in the ground and they seem to be doing well, but their first two blooms were just about to open when they just wilted and drooped. Is full sun maybe too much for them? I remember even up north, they would get a tad droopy in the sun, but they always perked up in the early evening. I've never had the blooms just droop and poop out before they even opened! Before I plant my seedlings, I hope y'all will have some advice for me! The brugs I brought from CT are in a semi-shady spot, and after being hurt by the frost we had a few weeks ago, they are rebounding and doing well.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!