AuthorContent
Buddleja
North-West England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #3461993

I planted some wallflower seeds at the beginning of April and pricked them out when they'd germinated a couple of weeks later. THey are all growing well but i'm not sure what I should do with them now. SHould I pinch out the growing tips? When should I pot them up into their own pots - they're all in a seed tray at the moment. I really love the scent of wallflowers but the packet says they're biennial. Now I know this means they have a two year growing cycle and that they will flower next year, but are they like annuals where they will die back and not come up again, or are they like perennials where they will keep coming back year after year? I live in the UK.

I'm new to this website but I've spent some time looking at the postings and it seems that there are some wonderful gardeners on the site with lots of fantastic advice. I look forward to getting some of it!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3468535

I have grown wallflowers in the past. I lived in California then, I am in Florida now. For me they were perennial, but, I kept them deadheaded. I suspect if they don't set seed they will be a short lived perennial. Depends on the variety too. Some that I have seen in the seed catalogs indicated they were perennial.
Buddleja
North-West England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3469074

Thanks Dale, I think I'll just have to try them and see what works. I'll deadhead them like you did and see what happens. THe seed packet just says biennial so that hasn't helped me much. I don't really want the hassle of planting seeds in trays every year for the following year's flowers but I do really love wallflowers - they smell fab. Perhaps they'll self-seed...
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 16, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #3503110

Hi buddleja, I'm also from UK, Scotland so good neighbours, if it said on the packet that your Wallflower is Biennial, then you are right, you start the seeds off one year/ plant out the next, in UK planting is normal abour September so the ground still has a wee bit of warmth, next spring after, they will flower, about june/july, they die off and scrap them, I have planted beds of them with tulip bulbs that come into flower at the same time and it looks fab, rich orange wallflower and deep yellow tulips, the tulips are a bit taller so the wallflower hides the thin tulip stems, you are spot on about the perfume from the wall flower, it is just wonderfull.
You do get Perennial wallflowers, but it will say so on the packet, they are much taller, more open in structure and come up year after year, not in my mind as attractive though but each to their own.
with your wallflower, what we do here when the seeds germinate and are about 3inch tall, prick then out and set them outside in a spare bit if ground in a row about 3/4 inch appart, come September, dig them up and seperate them into your bed at the distance stated on packet.
Worth a note,they are known to get Club root, as in Cabbage club root, but to be honest, I have never had that experience, I know a lot of people add some garden lime to the soil and they seem to do better with that. Another idea, if you get time, go along to your park deptment as Wallflower used to be grown by the thousands for spring bedding displays, they shoud be able to help.
As you dont like waiting 2 years for flowers, why not plant more end of this year, and they will be ready to flower next year when this lot are done.
Hope this helps you and you now think some things are worth the wait.
good luck, WeeNel
Buddleja
North-West England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #3510649

Hi WeeNel, thanks for the ideas. I'll plant them out this weekend to grow on and then put them in their final place in September - and i'll sow some more seeds at the same time. I like the idea of mixing them with tulips - I might try that.

We get up to Scotland quite regularly - got family and friends there.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3510663

Thanks for the info on the wallflowers. I planted seeds called "English Perennial" so I am hoping they really are perennial. I LOVE the scent of the wallflowers. Not crazy about yellow tulips though. I wonder how purple tulips would look?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 18, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3511417

Hi Seandor, I only sugested YELLOW TULIPS, because I had my wallflower in a BURNT ORANGE colour and wanted something that would tie in with the colour scheme that would suit me, you can do whatever mix or match that you like, just wanted to enjoy the perfume from the wallflower and not distract from it, tulips dont smell so that was my choice.
I have seen many alternatives to Tulips, but as I live in a damper spring climate, I have to watch for Rot, I cant leave Tulip bulbs in the growned all year, so I plant them in shallow baskets (about 5 to a basket) and as I dig out the old wallflower at the end of the season, I can just lift my bulbs at the same time, that way I know that I have lifted every bulb, it works for me so have a go with your oun mix and match ideas, sit back and enjoy.
WeeNel.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3512113

i see - that makes sense, it sounds pretty labour intensive - but I bet it looks fantastic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America