Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Japanese Maples: Shigitatsu sawa

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 27, Views: 283
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3469109

This is the tree I thought I killed last summer when it dropped all its leaves. It survived, and is absolutely gorgeous this spring.

Thumbnail by roxysgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2007
4:10 PM

Post #3469141

Wow! That is really lovely. I'm so glad that it came back for you. I've had that happen too. Is it in the ground or in a pot?
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 6, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3469241

'Shigitatsu sawa' is a beauty. I have 'aka shigitatsu sawa' which is one of a few red/pink forms of that, and it is one of my favorites in spring.
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3469276

This tree is currently in a pot. I bought it last spring, and planted it in the ground, but it got too much sun, I think. It was kept in a shade house at the nursery, and it may have just been the shock of moving it outside. Even after I potted it and moved it to a shady spot on my deck, it lost all its leaves. I was thrilled to see it bud out this spring, and will make sure it stays in the shade!

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3469371

That's a nice sized tree. Moving a tree from nursery shade into full sun is the only way I've ever lost a JM. They sure don't like that a lot. I'm glad that yours came back.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3469392

It's looking really good!'

Laura
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3469524

Well, the spot (now occupied by the Autumn Full Moon Maple in my other post) only gets morning sun and is shady the rest of the time, so I thought it was going to be shady enough! But after living in a shade house, even that little bit of sun was too much. As a maple novice, I learn more all the time!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3469544

I must have lost three trees before I figured it out. You are way ahead of the game. You can ask many nurseries to 'harden' your tree for you and good ones will do it before you take it home.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #3469636

I have a Shigatatsu sawa also. I have it next to my pond. It used to get morning sun and some late day sun. Now the tree that shaded it in the PM is gone and it is in full sun. What should I do? Move it? This would be the second time in three years. Will it adapt? Thanks.

Victor
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3469713

That's a hard question. I think that maples can be moved without too much trouble - in fact if it's been moved recently the root system won't be large and the tree will be more easily moved. If the shade isn't there anymore I'd take a chance and move it.

It will be interesting to see what other folks say.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3469736

The question is - is this variety particularly sensitive to full sun? I have had success with others in full sun, including 'Orangeola', 'Tamukeyama' and 'Washi no o'. They looked crappy the first year but got better each year. I do give them some Pro-Tekt.
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3470242

Victor, from everything I've read, this particular variety (unless you have the AKA variety, which has a red tint to it) is very sensitive to the sun. Its leaves are very tender and burn easily. Is it going to be in full sun all day now, or will it have some shade in the heat of the day? How old is the tree? If it's an older, well established tree, it may well adapt, but even so, I'd guess that you won't get the same leaf colors as it has in full shade. I'd think it would have more stress moving it. Maybe watch it this year, and make your decision based on how it does?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3470293

Hi Roxy,

No it will be all day sun. I planted it two years ago (it was about 20 - 24 inches high at planting). It is not the Aka variety. I am leaning toward moving it. Thanks.

Victor
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3470380

With that small of a tree, I'd probably move it too. Just remember that even though mine lost all its leaves early last summer, it came back this spring better than ever. :) So don't give up on it too quickly if it goes into a bit of shock!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #3470442

Thanks again!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3472926

Transplanted it today. Hopefully all will go well.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3473060

Here's hoping! JM's are pretty tough customers.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #3473147

Thanks!
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3473509

Mine spent the winter in a nursery pot, then got moved to a glazed ceramic container this spring. It's underplanted with a geranium 'Espresso', blooming right now, & aruncus aethusifolius. It's beautiful!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3473646

Let's see a photo! Do you bring the pot indoors in winter?
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3473726

No, I'll try to post a photo, it was outside all winter, & we've had a very schizophrenic winter/spring (like most places, I imagine.) All of the JMs I had outside in nursery pots look very good, despite some late freezes-my plants were all on the N/W side of my house. I had a few dead branches on different plants, thanks to the late freeze, but everything looks great, now.

I work at a garden center & our JMs were arranged in rows of 2 or 3, then we placed bags of leaves around the perimeter...
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 7, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3474097

FYI the 'aka shigitatsu sawa' is nearly as tender as 'shigitatsu sawa'. It has a bit more coloration in sun...but down in S. Carolina part shade is about as much sun as I would go with it. 'Peaches and Cream' and the ghost series of cultivars released by Bucholtz (sp?) are similar and likely cant handle more than a few hours of direct sun.

I think moving it was a good idea. 3 or 4 hours of sun would have been fine, but not direct sun all day.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3474121

Where it is now it will only get a couple of AM hours of sun.
thistle5
Alexandria, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #4630904

I just wanted to update this- my Shigitatsu Sawa, outside in a pot, seems to have come through the winter (admittedly milder than normal for 7a or b, NoVA) just fine-all of my JMs, including 20+ 1 yr. grafts in small pots, about 5 in 1 gallon pots, 6 in larger ceramic pots, & 6 in the ground, seem to be healthy, showing lots of buds. I'm so happy, looking forward to seeing them leaf out soon, I hope...thistle
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #4630921

I'm so glad that they are doing well Thistle. Some of mine are starting to leaf out already.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4637235

With the baby trees, I've lost about 1 in 3 for various reasons, so it's nice to see them come through. However, the risk of frost is not yet over. I am off this morning to the nursery to see if I need another baby...(1/3 off the gallon size during their annual home/garden show).

Laura
john_hosie
Gaithersburg, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #4975305

I've recently gotten a Shigitatsu sawa, too. It looks to me like it will need to be out of full sun - at least out of afternoon sun. True? The creamy portion of the leaves looks like it may burn.

Thumbnail by john_hosie

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #4975894

You're going to want to give it as much shade as you possibly can. Mine is on my back porch where it gets 2-3 hours of morning sun, and shade the rest of the day. It is VERY sensitive and not only will the leaves burn, but they will completely crinkle up and fall off.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America