Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Ever seen this before?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 229
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3477258

My lilly, the best one of last year's garden, this year decided to use a curling iron. Ever seen this before? Why is it doing this?

Thumbnail by LetsGo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3477320

Maybe leaf rollers? I don't know much about them so I don't know if lilies are something they'll bother or not.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3477422

LOL. I was assuming ecrane was suggesting they were using hair rollers instead of a curling iron...until I realized leaf rollers was some sort of pest...hehehe
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2007
7:49 AM

Post #3478481

Does look like leaf rollers. Easy enough to determine--unroll a leaf and, if that's the problem, you will see them. I always clip off any affected leaves and spray the rest of the plant with an insecticide. Just to be on the safe side, I take all the leaves I clip off and put them in a Zip Lock bag before I throw them in the trash.
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #3480725

Or burn them. I tend to like the thought of the little critters frying. Ohhhh, cruel!
LetsGo
Port Townsend, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3481076

I unrolled a leaf. I don't see a thing. Any other suggestions? Today it looked like it would still put out a flower. Not sure what is going on. Could it be from overcrowding?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #3481179

I don't know of anything that causes that besides the leafrollers--did you just look at one leaf or did you look at a bunch of them Could be a few of the rolled leaves have been abandoned. I'm also not sure if they stay in the leaves all the time or if there's a certain time of day that you need to look. Try googling leaf rollers or leaf roller caterpillars, I'm sure there's a lot of info out there about them.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 10, 2007
7:23 AM

Post #3482141

Let's Go,

My guess would be a virus (disease) is causing your problem. I bet the folks on http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/lilies/all/ will be able to ID the cause.

Here in the near tropics I have only found 3 lillies that will grow for more than one season and one of them is the Easter Lily (never really thought of them as desirable).

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America