Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Rural Gardening: Bee trivia

Communities > Forums > Rural Gardening
Forum: Rural GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #3479664

Y'all are just about the only folks I know besides me who would this interesting:

I have a hummer feeder hanging above the water feature for birds and a smaller sugar water feeder for the bees.

The house finches are the most plentiful at the water dish. They try on a daily basis to get sugar water out of the hummer feeder, but to no avail. They have *yet* to find the sugar water dish that is butting up against the water dish.

The bees, OTOH, have discovered *both* the water dish and the sugar water dish. They vastly prefer the sugar water, but if it empties and I don't fill it right away, they *will* drink from the water dish (I put a largeish rock in it for stability and to give the bees a way to access the water - they figured *that* out in about two nanoseconds, LOL!).

The bees and the hummers co-exist easily, but the finches won't use the water dish if there are more than 2 or 3 bees at the sugar water dish.

jo -- thanks for letting me share!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3492025

Great story jio!
Our house finches have figured out that if they swing the hummingbird feeder, they can drink up the drops of sugar water that emerge when the feeder tilts.
The squirrel has figured out the same trick and hangs upside down to tilt the feeder and drink. I'm having to fill the feeder every other day to keep the hummer fed!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rural Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America