my bees

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I usually hang out on the farm life forum, but thought I would pop in and tell you about what happened to me at my work today.

I work in a busy hospital. The lab I work in is in the middle of this busy hospital. I decided that today I would get up early and pick flowers and take them into work. I wrapped iris, columbine and dame's rocket in newspaper , held the bouquet on my lap with my husband driving. We live in a very rural setting and drive about 30 miles into a small city.

I got there before everyone else and arranged my flowers at the front desk.. I went off busily about my work .. Later it seems a bee started flying around the front desk. and then another , and then another. Finally figured out that I had delivered some sleeping honey bees in with my flowers. Sadly they didn't make it out alive , but I guess I have a healthy bee population around my flowers. and I guess I learned something about bees. I didn't know they ever spent the night in flowers.. I always thought they went back to their hives. I will be more careful with these precious bees next time.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I've heard that they sleep in the trees when it's hot.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Been reading up on bees lately - sleeping on flowers is NOT at all uncommon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.