Sopapilla Cheesecake (part 2)

Crossville, TN

continued from :
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/521505/#new

Part 1 had 312 Replies
1,110 Views...

You need to read Part 1 to get all the Variations of this recipe...YUMMY!

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans crescent rolls (Pilsbury now makes one that is not perforatted...easier to use)
1-8oz cream cheese
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Spread crescent rolls on bottom of 9x13 pan. Blend sugar,
vanilla, and cream cheese. Spread cream cheese mixture
on bottom layer of rolls. Take the other package of rolls and
spread on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle with mixture of
1/2 c. sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1 stick of butter (melted).
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

(She cut it in small squares)

Jo
C & P from below....Thanks Kooger

Sopapilla Cheesecake Fruit Variations
apple pie filling
apricot pie filling
bananas and pecans (Bananas Foster)
blueberries and raspberries
cherries/cherry pie filling, delete cinnamon
cranberry sauce
lemon pie filling, delete cinnamon, add lemon zest
pineapple, crushed, drained, small can
pumpkin
raspberry preserves
strawberry jam

Other Variations
Hershey's syrup swirled in cream cheese
homemade custard
empanadas
browned lb. pork sausage, chopped peppers, delete sugar, vanilla, cinnamon
veggie pizza
sausage and apples
almond extract, delete vanilla extract
topping - egg white, 1/2 c. chopped peanuts
sausage, onion, gr. peppers, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, delete sugar, vanilla, cinn.
wontons with sauce (1 c. plum jelly, 1 T. wine vinegar, 1 T. sugar)

Method Variations
top layer - use pastry cutter to make lattice top
pre-bake bottom 5-10 minutes to avoid soggy bottoms
use 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese for a thicker filling
chilled dough is easier to work with
room temp or slightly nuked cream cheese can be mixed by hand

Jo - feel free to C/P into top recipe post if you like.
Laura

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 6:14 PM

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

hey thanks for that!
I know what you are talking about now but we dont have anything like that in australia,
we can go to the bakery and buy them already made. we call them crossoints (probale not spelt right) but not uncooked.
hmmm sounds divine too!

oh i am so jelous that you guys get to go to RU. one day RR one day.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Jo, I made 2 pans of the sopapilla cheesecake for the NC/SC RU last weekend. BIG hit and I directed several folks here for the recipe.

the cresesent rolls are uncooked right?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

downunder, we call it croissant too if bought in a bakery

oh, hahahahahahahahah

maybe the bakery will let me buy some uncooked?
thats the idea isnt it? to put the pastry in uncooked?
of course, i could try and make it myself.............................waaaaaaaaahahahahaha no, better not.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I am making this recipe tomorrow! Can't wait.

Crossville, TN

IF you cook as good as you "drive Bobby"....*shudder*.....LOL

Darius....I'm glad they liked them...which fillings did you use? Jo

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Down_under,

Can you buy some kind of "Flake Pastry" dough in Australia?

I think any kind of yeast type biscuit dough would work.

The Crescent Rolls here are put out by Pillsbury. A most common brand of all kinds of things. The containers have uncooked dough inside all rolled up. The triangular sections are perforated so you can easily tear them apart and roll them in a croissant-type of a roll as you can see on the picture I posted. For the Sopapilla cheesecake, you just keep all the dough intact.

Don't give up! I am sure you can find something.....or make your own. There are plenty of recipe sites on the Web.

Gita

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

JO, you and your sopapilla cheesecake really contribute to conversation! So, why is it called "sopapilla cheesecake"?

Brenda

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Wonder - can you get puff pastry in the freezer section of your food market? I'll bet that would work.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I always pre-bake the bottom layer of crescents for 10 minutes prior to adding the cream cheese mixture. I let them cool a bit before I add the cream cheese. Once everything is together I bake for 35 minutes.
Mike

ahhhh yes i can! you think that will work??
I will try it.... its not exactly the same but it could work! maybe i will try the prebake as well... hmmm

RR what ever do you mean! lol

it sounds soooo good. I am familiar with the brand name but we dont get it out here. so much cool stuff in the U.S that we dont get and they wont let it in the country!!!!
we have an 'america shop' out here that i go to on occasion as my husband is from C.A.
I tell you girls, if you had the money you could open one down here and make a killing!
Its the only one around and ALL the americans go to it, and there are a lot migrating out here, and many australians who have grown to love the products. becuase of quarantine restrictions they dont get certain things anymore. Just when i grew to love STOVE TOP STUFFNG!! how good is that stuff!!! mmm sugar daddies.........maple nuts........*drool*... jolly ranchers.....................risa roni..............ranch dreeeeessssiinnnggg.... and your soda rocks! not as sweet or bubbly as ours.

however the prices? well, one box of cherios? $15! rice a roni? $6! One bottle of clamato, yuk but hubby like it $17!!!!!!! hence not going there much unless its a birthday or somehting. all the things he loves, beef jerky, and OMG MRS BUTTERWORTHS!!! how good is that! $12 a small bottle.....

I tell you, they are flat out all the time. people go in and spend like $700 a pop! its a roaring business. wish there were more for some competition and maybe it would bring down the prices?

anyway.. enough drooling and onto the cheesecake!

Crossville, TN

Wonder.....did you ever get any GRITS? They wouldn't let me send any to OZ or England......grain don't ya know!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

You know what's funny about that, Wonder, is that my husband-to-be is British, so we go to the British store here, and pay a fortune for goodies from England! You have a brilliant idea there, opening an American Store!

Brenda

RR, naw they wont let us import them, as you said grains! and the stove top went by the wayside too as it had chicken product! go figure!

yes savage, if i only had the money!

they love to rip us off dont they!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I think sound like begin 'Paula Deen!' (about grits) Love it so goody yum!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter and I just made the sopapilla cheesecake. This recipe is getting laminated! Yum!

Crossville, TN

What filling did you use? Jo

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I followed the original recipe and used the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. I'll try other fillings in the future. It was so delicious. I can't keep my DH out of it!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

wonder DU
what about the pork flavored stovetop?

do they open up your packages and check them? 12.00 would buy several bottles of Mrs. Butterworths on sale... big bottles too!

melissa, they stopped all stove top and anything else that was in the container that was shipped to the store!

as for the mrs butterworths, my husband is horiffied as he says the same as you!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, I have been reading these since the first post and can't believe I just found this thread.

Want to try this myself after all these rave reviews, but have 2 questions.

Do I use 1 or 2 pkgs. of 8oz. cream cheese?
Are you talking about 2 - 8oz. pkgs of crescent rolls?

Can't wait to try this out and am thinking it will be a fabulous treat prior to the soon to be upon us family Easter Egg hunt.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Haighr,

If you go to the very top post here the recipe is pretty clear.
1-8oz, Cream Cheese
2-cans of Crescent Rolls. One for the bottom--one to put on top.

Have you read through all the original posts? There were so many variations people were doing with this recipe--even filled with meat. People were posting photos and everything.

I have made this "cheesecake" with the cherry pie filling on top of the cream cheese, and it is truly good.

Gita

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yes, I have read both of the other posts top to bottom and that is why I am a bit unclear. In one there was a recipe posted with 2 pkgs. of cream cheese.
The photos are quite helpful the one of the Pillsbury Rolls got my attention as they were 8oz containers.
Hence my questions. What size can of rolls (6 or 8 oz.?) and use 1 or 2pkgs of cream cheese? Perhaps they were using 4oz. pkgs of cream cheese in that particular post - that's why am unclear?
This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 9:55 AM

This message was edited Feb 21, 2008 9:57 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have never seen anything but an 8oz roll of Crescent Rolls. This has 8 rolls in it.
I think 2-8oz packs of Cream Cheese is just to make more filling. Just one option if you want to double the filling.but. Of course, I would double the sugar and vanilla too if you choose to use two.
For starters, I would just make it as it is above--using ONE package. Then you can start experimenting with the other options. It is delicious any way you make it!

Gita

Crossville, TN

Haighr...I use 1 8 OZ cream cheese...and 2 pkgs of crescent rolls...the regular size...I did use the larger size once...but it gave me too much bread.

You can cut down on the fat by using the Lite cheese and the Lite rolls.

I have also cut the butter/oleo down to 2/3 stick. Jo

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks you guys.
Oleo, oh no, same thought you had Jo about

Quoting:
If God wanted us ...

I like my cholesterol so think I'll try the whole stick of Land of Lakes for the first batch!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Margerine isn't allowed in my house. Glad I'm not the only 'butter snob' around. :)

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Butter is butter, there is nothing in this world that could take the place of it. I am a natural food snob, lol

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I use the larger size crescent rolls and 2 - 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese. I also use almond extract (one tsp per 8 oz pkg of cream cheese) and everyone raves about this dessert. I like the larger size rolls because they are easier to use than the smaller rolls. I use lite cream cheese whenever I make this.

One of my friends told me to NEVER make this dessert ever again (only because once you start to eat it, you can't stop).

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Here's a chuckle for all.... when I had a bad fall 3 weeks ago, the ambulance crew went thru the kitchen to the basement to pick me up and one of the gals grabbed a sopapilla bar are on the way thru. She told me how wonderful it tasted. lol (the lady I was staying with is also on the ambulance crew so the gals all knew her well, so felt comfortable grabbing a treat :)

Crossville, TN

It's so funny...but after church today we had a Baby Shower for a gal that has 2 little girls...and has had twin boys...we got to talking about upcoming events and I was asked to bring this to a Wed. night event!! Jo

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Jo, your sopapilla cheesecake is legendary!!!

Crossville, TN

Besides that it's GOOD!! LOL Jo

Raeford, NC

It is also called Williamsburg Bread My daughter makes it and it is exactly the same recipe. It is so good. Deanna

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good Glory Be!...I made this today with the pineapple filling. Took it to work. Luckily, they didn't eat the pan!
It was clean, possibly someone licked it clean?
LOL It is delicious. Now I have to make another one because a few didn't get a piece.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I made the recipe with just 8 oz of cream cheese and topped it with sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese for a brunch. It went very very well! (I left out the sugar and vanilla.) We also made it with raspberry preserves, which was great. I'm going to try pumpkin on it next.... I'm just waiting for the next potluck thing so I have an excuse to make it again. LOL

Crossville, TN

Deanna8...Yes, My neice in the Richmond, VA area called it Williamsburg Bread also...as as Shakespere said...What's in a name....?
ha...glad to hear it turned out well. Jo

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Ok, I have no life so I compiled a list of variations from thread #1 and #2....

Sopapilla Cheesecake Fruit Variations
apple pie filling
apricot pie filling
bananas and pecans (Bananas Foster)
blueberries and raspberries
cherries/cherry pie filling, delete cinnamon
cranberry sauce
lemon pie filling, delete cinnamon, add lemon zest
pineapple, crushed, drained, small can
pumpkin
raspberry preserves
strawberry jam

Other Variations
Hershey's syrup swirled in cream cheese
homemade custard
empanadas
browned lb. pork sausage, chopped peppers, delete sugar, vanilla, cinnamon
veggie pizza
sausage and apples
almond extract, delete vanilla extract
topping - egg white, 1/2 c. chopped peanuts
sausage, onion, gr. peppers, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, delete sugar, vanilla, cinn.
wontons with sauce (1 c. plum jelly, 1 T. wine vinegar, 1 T. sugar)

Method Variations
top layer - use pastry cutter to make lattice top
pre-bake bottom 5-10 minutes to avoid soggy bottoms
use 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese for a thicker filling
chilled dough is easier to work with
room temp or slightly nuked cream cheese can be mixed by hand

Jo - feel free to C/P into top recipe post if you like.
Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.