Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Rhododendron problem

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 3, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ccjacko1910
Crescent City, CA

May 12, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3488248

A while back (2 years ago) we had a disease and bug free rhody that was beautiful and fragrant, we took it to the fair and it got every bug known to man. It has taken until ow to get a viable plant but it has stll some problems. I am attaching a picture of some of the leaves and hope that someone can ID the problem. Insect, chemical or what. So here goes.

jack

Thumbnail by ccjacko1910
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ccjacko1910
Crescent City, CA

May 12, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3488508

Forget about this thread, I stupidly put it in the wrong place. It is gardenia not rhody. I have several of both

jack
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2007
9:22 AM

Post #3489094

There are several possibilites for the spotted yellow color, ccjacko1910. (1) Some gardenia varieties (August Beauty, perhaps?) lose leaves in preparation for their first flush. The leaves could be slowly turning yellow and dropping off. (2a) You could also have an infestation by sucking insects, such as spider mites which feed primarily on the underside of the leaves. Tiny chlorotic dots or stipples appear on the upper leaf surface; tiny mites or eggs appear on the lower surface. I would check under the leaves (ck during the day first and if you notice nothing, also check during the evening, when most pests are visible). (2b) Similar in habit are small aphids, which cling to leaf undersides. (3) Finally, have you sprayed near the plant with chemicals that might have drifted onto the gardenia with the wind?

Luis
ccjacko1910
Crescent City, CA

May 13, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3493025

hello LUIS;
thanks for the assistance. I realized that for some unnown reason I called it a rhody when it is a gardenia and posted it in the container section of the forum. Am hoping that it is spider mites and have sprayed the plant top and bottom of the leaves with insecticidal soap. Will give it a second treatment in 2 weeks. Have sprayed the plant itself after the problem showed thinking aphids and other insects never thought of the spider mites.
I am going to post before and after pics on the container thread that I have going. I wish they had a forum for gardenias but don't know who to contact to start one. Once again thank you.
jack

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America