Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Bloom-less Baby blue eyes and five spot

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bentti
Orangevale, CA

May 12, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3489007

Many baby blue eyes and five spot (Nemophila menziesii and N. maculata) grown from seed in the yard, some are huge--u to four or five inches across--but hardly any blooms, and already May 11. I have fertilized lightly with Miracle Gro bloom fertilizer. Any suggestions to make them bloom before the season ends?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3489698

I think there are a couple possibilities--I'll throw out a few, see what you think
1) they may not like fertilizer--they're CA natives and probably used to growing in poor soil, with plants like that sometimes giving them fertilizer will make them not bloom as much (even if it's the bloom booster fert)
2) you may be watering too much--many CA wildflowers will grow like crazy during the rainy season, then as things warm up and start to dry out they'll bloom. So if you're watering it too regularly now, it may think it's not time to bloom yet.
3) it was a weird winter so things may not behave quite like they would in a normal year

These are really just guesses, I only tried these one year and I don't remember too much about when/how well they bloomed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America