Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Can anyone id this bird via its song?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kerry_in_ky
Dry Ridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3492499

I just posted a couple of sound files on my gardening blog of a new visitor to my garden. It has been hanging out in the tops of the large old maples on our property so I haven't been able to get a good look at it and of course the binoculars are no where to be found. I can tell that it is orange underneath and seems to have a dark head. I looked up a song for a Baltimore oriole on the net but it doesn't sound anything like what is coming out of our visitor. If anyone here knows birds via their song and cares to help out I would love to know what this bird is.

http://www.kerrysgarden.us/2007/05/13/mystery-bird-please-help-id-this-one/
Sofi
Colts Neck, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3492683

I think you are right - sounds like a Baltimore oriole to me as well.

Enjoyed your site too.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 13, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3493544

How about an American Redstart?
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 13, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #3493591

Sorry couldn't find the sound at first. The sound is closer to a Baltimore Oriole than a Redstart.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #3493696

Just for once . . . no idea! The sound system on my computer is bust, so I can't hear the recording at all :-((

Resin
kerry_in_ky
Dry Ridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3494452

Thanks for all the replies. To look at it and reading the description about habit I would agree with the general consensus but I can't seem to find anywhere that has bird songs/calls (is there a difference?) sounding anything like the 4 note song?/call? that this one makes. Do they vary by location? Perhaps mine has a southern drawl.

Sofi glad you liked the site. My garden is my sanity. Think I need a t shirt that says that...
Sofi
Colts Neck, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #3495831

Kerry I really do think your sound is from an oriole. Mine have just arrived recently and are making similar "chatter" which always sounds to me like the inflections of human conversation. I guess its hard for the bird call CDs and such to capture every song that they can make, but the "voice" is the same. Hope yours are nesting nearby.
GreenAtHeart
Franklin Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #3499772

Here is the site I go to for bird songs:
http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/
Scroll down and the B. Oriole is at the top of the second column. I especially like this site because you can look at a picture of the bird while you listen.
kerry_in_ky
Dry Ridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3501634

Thanks everyone for all of your help. It looks like we now have 2 Baltimore Orioles. The way they were following each other around I am guessing they are a pair. Perhaps there will be babies?

I listened to the link at learnbirdsongs.com and sure enough for a few seconds there I heard the same sound as our visitors are making. That is a great resource, thanks for posting it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America