-
AuthorContent
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3494120

As suggested in Gabrielle's article, rain is the best for watering. I have several containers that catch rain. The two main containers have lids, which is helpful in keeping the pesky mosquitos away. The main rain barrel, I add oxygenating water plants (Egeria najans) , water snails, tad poles and dragonfly larvae from the pond. This provides a mini eco system for your rain barrel. The oxygen plants do their job and produce oxygen for the tad poles and dragonfly larvae, and both love mosquito larvae for snacks. Occasionaly the larger dragonfly larvae will make a meal of the smaller tad poles. I keep this rain barrell full most of the time. The oxygen plants will also grow beautifully and you'll have a perpetual supply for your pond.
Rj
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3494124

I usually empty the other rain catchers into the main rain barrel to keep it full. I also add a little frog ladder if the barrel is not full, so the toads and frogs can climb out when their time comes.
Rj
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #4171241

Is it safe to put those mosquito larva killing donuts in your plant rainwater supply? I've been breeding mosquitos because I'm afraid to put them in the water I will use on my plants. I have had store bought fish in there eating the larva, but they usually don't last more than a month and since they eat all the larva so fast, I have to suppliment with fish food. I'd love to get a green light on the donuts to save the hastle, but not at the expence of the plants I collecting the water for!
Thanks for your help.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #4172546

Yes, I use the donuts everywhere, including my pond with live fish and plants. Never had a problem.
Rj
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #4173142

Thanks! I've been wondering about that for years.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4173433

Yes, I think if you pick up a package, they will even state that it doesn't harm fish or plants

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Earthworm Enemies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mosquitos bad-no mosquitos good? belfegor 1 Nov 19, 2008 3:14 PM
Hammerhead Worm in SoBayCa? LuvyDuvyRdnoBch 3 Oct 7, 2009 12:06 AM
Land planaria - maybe??? slywlf 1 Aug 20, 2009 7:53 PM
bad, bad worm wormfood 2 Aug 11, 2009 7:20 AM
Pictures of flatworms, please leaflady 7 Aug 11, 2009 1:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America