-
AuthorContent
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3495602

This garden has been in the planning stages for several years. I use 3D Landscape Designer (part of 3D Home Architect Design Suite Deluxe 6) to design my garden beds. The screen shots you see here are from this software. It provides both 2D and 3D views.

The garden is approximately 40' x 22' and sits behind our inground pool.

edit to add: along the pool fence is a row of boxwood (Buxus sempervirens x B. microphylla var. koreana 'Green Velvet') broken up with several euonymus (Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n Gold')

This message was edited May 14, 2007 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3495814

There are really 5 garden areas divided by the path. At the entrance a red 'Dublin Bay' climber is planted on each side of the gated arbor. At the foot of Dublin Bay there will be a white floribunda, 'Iceberg' on one side, 'Paloma Blanca' on the other. On the east side is the large Dawn Garden, planted with the pinks, mauves & purples. The west side is the Sunset Garden with yellows, peaches & oranges. In the very center, surrounded by the path is Ruby's Remembrance Island, dedicated to my mom, Ruby, and planted with 3 'Mother's Rose'. The back sections are the Peace Garden, with Peace, Chicago Peace, Pink Peace, Lasting Peace, Desert Peace, and several other sports or hybrids of the Peace rose, and Lemon Meringue, a yellow climber on a pillar, plus some others. The other side is Yesterday's Garden, with 'Rosemary Rose' a tribute to my DMIL, Rose, and 'Noble Antony' for my DFIL, Tony. With them with be Polareis, a magnificent rugosa and Maiden's Blush, a very old alba.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3496053

note: some changes may have been made since these images were captured in the software. all gardens are works in progress, after all. They were really included to show the planning stages. It could all be done on graph paper or even freehand.

Other considerations on what to plant where: our prevailing winds are from the west and rugosas can take some wind and are generally a larger bush. So Agnes is at the west end of the Peace Garden. An obvious point, taller plants in the middle of the large beds. Bi-colors, such as 'Oranges & Lemons', I tried to site between the oranges and yellows to provide a transition.

60 roses have been ordered; to date 25 are planted. After all the roses are in, the next step will be adding companion perennials. Some that will be included are clematis, lavender, babies breath, geranium, lilium, forget-me-not, creeping thyme, artemisia and verbena.
garden_path
Leander, TX

January 23, 2008
7:07 AM

Post #4441785

This is very very nice! I would like to see a photo of the roses in bloom! Thank you.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #4442105

garden_path, thanks for the nice compliment. here's a couple of threads with pics

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/757884/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/776745/

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

-

Other Landscape: Rose garden in progress Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
love your house ! lindypuddin 0 Mar 12, 2012 2:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America