Faerie Gardens!

Wilkes Barre, PA(Zone 6a)

O.k., I have started an outdoor Faerie Garden. Been waiting all winter for this! You can imagine the craziness I felt with all that prolonged cold weather in the area!
I was soo excited when I was finally able to start; I forgot to take "before" pictures. So, please forgive me; we will have to start from the point that I actually remembered cameras exist! LOL!

Thumbnail by babybird
Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

love your doggie fairies!

I've been doing alot of digging and tearing out large rocks. I live on the side of a mountain and unfortunately, my backyard is all downhill (unless you walk up it..LOL) and clay soil.
So, I have added more soil and peat moss. I hope that will make the area good for plants.
As you will see, I am adding statues and other interesting things. As soon as I can move some of the bigger rock that are in my way, I will be putting in a small wall (to hold the soil) and a pond.

Thumbnail by babybird

lol

When I am not in my garden, I am in my window looking at it..wanting to be out there doing more! LOL. So much to do!

Thumbnail by babybird
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Great start Bird. That spot's very peacefull.

Haines Falls, NY(Zone 4b)

What plants are you planning to put in? I've been thinking about doing one with/for the grandkids.

According to Shakespeare- the fairies dance in the thyme on mid-summers night eve.When my kids were younger, they thought for certain they saw them there around the Summer solstice.

I've also heard of using elderberry cause according to Danish lore, if you stand under an elderberry bush, you can see bands of fairies as they travel by.

I wonder if you're going to make the garden small scale, or are you using plants from legend and lore.

Elizabeth

Beachwood, OH

I so would not remove those big rocks. I'd kill to have those to work with. It looks like you have some nice filtered shade. I don't know about faerie themed plants, but I'd recommend the Epimediums 'Lilafee', rubrum, and sulfurum. Also dwarf Solomons Seals - they would be very cool. The small ferns like Lady Fern would be pretty, also Maidenhair. A white dicentra - bleeding heart can do well in shade - I have one where it receives no direct sun and its blooming very nicely right now.

Check the Hosta Library for names that you'd like to find - you know like search on fairy, dwarf, troll etc.
I just searched on Fair and got Fair Maiden, White Fairy, Fairy Frolic, a bunch starting with King, several 'Queens' - check out this Queen Annie Lemay http://www.hostalibrary.org/q/q.html

a stand of lily of the valley in pink or white are pretty in spring, the dwarf daffs like Tete-a-tete are early, then Baby Moon is just blooming right now - these are like 7" tall. English Belles are just blooming right now.

You have all kinds of things you could pick from. 2 more groups of perennials that have zillions of named cultivars are daylilies and iris. Iris ensata might do ok there in the shade.

Well have fun!

I came accross fairy/faerie garden info at
www.suite101.com/article.cfm/landscaping_herbs/109234/1

If you look on the left, you'll find more fairy garden articles. What fun- and a wonderful place to play, I mean garden.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

It's a lovely idea and a beautiful setting. I do hope you'll keep us updated and provide LOTS of pictures. love to see closeups of your little statues and things, too.

I have a Fairy Garden, but the focus is very different from yours. It's in full sun and planted in things to attract hummingbirds & butterflies (predominently pinks & purples)....and fairies. I love Cecily Mary Barker's flower fairies. There are 3 of them living in the garden now. And I got a fairy door for Christmas this year, so they can come & go as they please.

Elizabeth, I didn't know about the thyme, but there is a carpet of creeping thyme in my garden for the fairies to dance on.

Thumbnail by grampapa

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I am definately gonna put some in! As far as size, I have a large garden area. I want "legend and lore" type plants. I have checked out the site that elizaatfalls put up (thanks). Lots of great ideas that I am going to add to the garden. I just put in plants that caught my eye at the store right now. Some I found out are "lore" type! Like the pansies and dianthus. Some my mom bought for me like Spearmint. I found out yesterday that it will take over the entire area! So I am going to get it out and put it over on the other side of the yard or maybe in a pot on the porch.
I have marigolds and a few more that I will let you know about later (forgot the names) I will make a list of all of them soon.
The rocks--I need to move some of them for more space and for my pond/fountain area. Also some are in my way of building a wall that I need so the soil doesn't wash away (I am on the side of a mountain and heavy rains take away my soil!) I am leaving one or two there. It's quite shady there and I am going to trim some branches from the trees to bring in a little more sun.

I love Spearmint! I go through a quart of it dried, at least, in the winter. Wonderful in tea with dried Lemon Balm. You are very welcome, Babybird for the info.Sounds like you have great ideas for your project. I hope you have fun with it! And please share pics if you can.

Grampapa- I had to show off- I mean show you a pic of a Catskill Mountain Wee Folk (grandson) from last summer, dancing in the wild thyme.

Thumbnail by elizaatfalls

And a pic of him with his mom, my 2nd daughter , who is passing on the charming herbal lore she was brought up with.

Thumbnail by elizaatfalls

that's great, Grampapa! I also want to attract hummers and butterflies. I definately am checking out the Cecily Mary Barker's flower Faeries. Is that from a website or a garden store? Thyme is a good one! And it smells great! I have some creeping thyme that I want to put in my back yard as a groundcover because grass doesn't grow much but in spots. I have clay soil. Does anyone know if it will grow on a slopping hill that has water runoff during heavy rains in a clay like soil?? I heard putting used coffee grounds on the soil will help it. But I can't drink enough coffe to cover it all! LOL Maybe I can ask coffee shops to save theirs?
I want to rip up the little patches of grass that I have there and plant the thyme. I probably will need about 10 to 20 flats of the thyme I should try ammending the soil and maybe put a small wall at the bottom of the hill by my back door walkway.

eliza, the thyme field looks great and the the boy's a little cutie! Have you ever put that photo in any contests? Bet he'd win!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth, he's a darling.

babybird, thyme is pretty tough. it will grow in clay, but some amendment wouldn't hurt. you can grow it easily from seed. you can get it in larger amounts here

http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Creeping-Thyme-p-16548.html

Starbucks has a policy of saving their coffee grounds for gardeners and some of the others may also. I think most places would give you some if you asked.

Cecily Mary Barker wrote a series of children's books about the flower fairies. here's an interesting site with figurines of the fairies and some other things (see the link about fairy gardens). I couldn't find any of the outdoor fairies, but you might find some if you google. I collect them as Christmas ornaments, tool.

http://www.gardenfairy.com/fairy/index.htm

Thumbnail by grampapa

thanks grampapa! I put in an order for some of it! And it asked how I found the site. I hope you don't mind, but I said a fellow member of Dave's Garden(website)!

thanks for the gardenfairy link. i will be getting some of those! They would be great hanging from the trees in the garden.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

glad you enjoyed it.

I'm still waiting for my thyme seeds! I even paid extra for the 2 day FED EX delivery! I hope they come today! Otherwise I am going to call and ask for a refund on the delivery charge! They were sent out on Saturday. Anyway, Does anyone know if I have to dig up the little bit of grass that remains on my hill where I am planting it? Or should I cut the spots of grass down really short and spread the seeds? Maybe the thyme will choke out the grass??? Anyone have any idea?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

You would think that they would arrive on thyme!

I would remove the grass.

ok.
LOL
Yeah, I can't believe it! According to the e-mail I recieved from the company, they sent the thyme on Saturday May 18th. I got the 2 day Fed Ex delivery and even if I didn't count Sunday, it should have been here! Well let's see what today brings!

Yesterday, I went shopping for more garden stuff.
I bought a small pond (preformed); petunias, cosmo seeds, more pansies and my b/f bought a cross statue AND a Buddah statue! (guess he doesn't want to discriminate on any one religion. LOL!) My older son helped me move the large stones a little so I can find a good place for the pond.. I will be out doing more in the garden today. The way it's turning out at this point, it looks like an over-sized faerie garden! lol

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

definitely remove the grass.

How fun...a pond! faeries need water. and their friends, the froggies and such, do too. you must post progress pictures.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

This post makes me think of the little plant I put together. I call it my "fairy plant" *lol*
This little plant came inside a pot with another plant. It was just three little green nubs that had obviously fallen off of something. I can't throw anything green away so I stuck it in some dirt. Well, since then it is growing these cute little "arms". I have no idea what the plant is but it sure is tiny.
The teacup I got at a church bazaar on a table marked "everything, 10 cents each". I LOVE purple and had no idea what I was going to use it for but so glad I picked it up and so if my "fairy plant" *lol*
I collect and love fairies too, especially purple ones :)
Your little fairy garden is going to be simply beautiful. I wanted to post to your thread so that I could watch it's progress. Simply the cutest!

The first picture attached is the "fairy plant" next to a bottled water for size comparison, the second picture is a closeup of the plant (maybe someone will recognize it) and the third picture is the teacup alone with no water beside it *lol*

Enjoy,
Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Plant Closeup:

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Teacup only:

Beachwood, OH

I think your little plant is maybe the cactus Opuntia. If not, it is still in the cactus family. Opuntia will drop off small pads that root easily. It is hardy with protection to zone 5 I believe but is also found in the desert and in FL. I used to collect handpainted china and I thought I'd mention that you might want to turn over the cup or saucer to look for a hallmark. They probably don't have one, but in any case, it looks like they used real gold paint - which will begin to wear away from the salts contained in the soil and water, and the contact with water. If you don't care then it doesn't matter of course.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

You know, for $.10 it really doesn't matter to me. There is a hallmark on the bottom of the cup. It says Hand Painted, Ardalt (with capital AD symbol) and numbered 6461. I bought it because it was purple and had no idea what I was going to do with it but the saucer looked like a flower and I just was drawn to it. It sat around, got knocked over, the handle of the cup broke off. I super glued it back on and decided to put this little guy in it. I know it's not the right pot for this plant but he was a tag along in a plant that I bought so if he doesn't make it he doesn't make it but until then I will enjoy him being in this tiny little "fairy cup" *lol*.

Kim

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't believe I missed this thread! I love fairies, pixies, nomes, ect... The fairy gardens are the most magical gardens of all!!
Here's my "Enchanted Forest" from last year.....

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

And you need the Queen of the Faries present, here she is "Titianna"

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

OMG! Absolutely Stunning Pixie! I LOVE IT!
Aren't fairies mystical and enchanting? I want a fairy mural in my new bedroom but hubby.....well......not so much :(
I keep trying to persuade him though.
Your Fairies are absolutely stunning. Those sell for major big bucks on E-Bay you know!

Kim

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I forgot to add my newest fairies......got them for M-Day.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

her twin.....

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Kim did you mean something like this for your bedroom? DH might not mind it! LOL I bought this picture on ebay framed and drawn free handed by a young new artist.
It is actually not a very good pic, it's beautiful in real life.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Pixie, I have that same little sandstone girl (the first one). I bought it on E-Bay (got such a good deal on it)! Don't you love her?
Love your drawing!
The mural I want to get is all kinds of fairies in a garden and it covers the WHOLE WALL *lol*. I LOVE fairies SO Much!

Kim

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

kim, love your little fairy cactus in a teacup :0)

pix, your fairy world is beautiful!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I enjoyed this thread on fairy gardens. I had never heard of them before. It gave me some ideas for an area in my new garden around a tree stump that needed to be left in to control erosion on the slope. I brought in some top soil and I hope things will grow with the roots still underneath. I've just planted it and was not able to find pansies this late in the season so I used other annuals that still looked good from the nursery. I have a hydrangea (endless summer), hollyhocks, snapdragons, zinnias, alyssum, creeping thyme, and a rose bush for frangance. The fairies on the tree stump table has a solar light. Eleanor

This message was edited Jun 20, 2007 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I found these fairies on-line and fell in love with them. (Didn't tell DH how much they $$$) Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Eleanor, those are wonderful!! I love fairies, have been collecting them from about 7 yrs now and i've never seen those before. Simply beautiful!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.