-
AuthorContent
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3499792

O.k., I have started an outdoor Faerie Garden. Been waiting all winter for this! You can imagine the craziness I felt with all that prolonged cold weather in the area!
I was soo excited when I was finally able to start; I forgot to take "before" pictures. So, please forgive me; we will have to start from the point that I actually remembered cameras exist! LOL!

Thumbnail by babybird
Click the image for an enlarged view.

larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3499805

love your doggie fairies!
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3499823

I've been doing alot of digging and tearing out large rocks. I live on the side of a mountain and unfortunately, my backyard is all downhill (unless you walk up it..LOL) and clay soil.
So, I have added more soil and peat moss. I hope that will make the area good for plants.
As you will see, I am adding statues and other interesting things. As soon as I can move some of the bigger rock that are in my way, I will be putting in a small wall (to hold the soil) and a pond.

Thumbnail by babybird

babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3499828

lol
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3499841

When I am not in my garden, I am in my window looking at it..wanting to be out there doing more! LOL. So much to do!

Thumbnail by babybird

Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3502006

Great start Bird. That spot's very peacefull.
elizaatfalls
Haines Falls, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3504613

What plants are you planning to put in? I've been thinking about doing one with/for the grandkids.

According to Shakespeare- the fairies dance in the thyme on mid-summers night eve.When my kids were younger, they thought for certain they saw them there around the Summer solstice.

I've also heard of using elderberry cause according to Danish lore, if you stand under an elderberry bush, you can see bands of fairies as they travel by.

I wonder if you're going to make the garden small scale, or are you using plants from legend and lore.

Elizabeth
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

May 16, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3504784

I so would not remove those big rocks. I'd kill to have those to work with. It looks like you have some nice filtered shade. I don't know about faerie themed plants, but I'd recommend the Epimediums 'Lilafee', rubrum, and sulfurum. Also dwarf Solomons Seals - they would be very cool. The small ferns like Lady Fern would be pretty, also Maidenhair. A white dicentra - bleeding heart can do well in shade - I have one where it receives no direct sun and its blooming very nicely right now.

Check the Hosta Library for names that you'd like to find - you know like search on fairy, dwarf, troll etc.
I just searched on Fair and got Fair Maiden, White Fairy, Fairy Frolic, a bunch starting with King, several 'Queens' - check out this Queen Annie Lemay http://www.hostalibrary.org/q/q.html

a stand of lily of the valley in pink or white are pretty in spring, the dwarf daffs like Tete-a-tete are early, then Baby Moon is just blooming right now - these are like 7" tall. English Belles are just blooming right now.

You have all kinds of things you could pick from. 2 more groups of perennials that have zillions of named cultivars are daylilies and iris. Iris ensata might do ok there in the shade.

Well have fun!
elizaatfalls
Haines Falls, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3506451

I came accross fairy/faerie garden info at
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/landscaping_herbs/109234/1

If you look on the left, you'll find more fairy garden articles. What fun- and a wonderful place to play, I mean garden.

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3510851

It's a lovely idea and a beautiful setting. I do hope you'll keep us updated and provide LOTS of pictures. love to see closeups of your little statues and things, too.

I have a Fairy Garden, but the focus is very different from yours. It's in full sun and planted in things to attract hummingbirds & butterflies (predominently pinks & purples)...and fairies. I love Cecily Mary Barker's flower fairies. There are 3 of them living in the garden now. And I got a fairy door for Christmas this year, so they can come & go as they please.

Elizabeth, I didn't know about the thyme, but there is a carpet of creeping thyme in my garden for the fairies to dance on.

Thumbnail by grampapa

babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3510856

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I am definately gonna put some in! As far as size, I have a large garden area. I want "legend and lore" type plants. I have checked out the site that elizaatfalls put up (thanks). Lots of great ideas that I am going to add to the garden. I just put in plants that caught my eye at the store right now. Some I found out are "lore" type! Like the pansies and dianthus. Some my mom bought for me like Spearmint. I found out yesterday that it will take over the entire area! So I am going to get it out and put it over on the other side of the yard or maybe in a pot on the porch.
I have marigolds and a few more that I will let you know about later (forgot the names) I will make a list of all of them soon.
The rocks--I need to move some of them for more space and for my pond/fountain area. Also some are in my way of building a wall that I need so the soil doesn't wash away (I am on the side of a mountain and heavy rains take away my soil!) I am leaving one or two there. It's quite shady there and I am going to trim some branches from the trees to bring in a little more sun.
elizaatfalls
Haines Falls, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3511047

I love Spearmint! I go through a quart of it dried, at least, in the winter. Wonderful in tea with dried Lemon Balm. You are very welcome, Babybird for the info.Sounds like you have great ideas for your project. I hope you have fun with it! And please share pics if you can.

Grampapa- I had to show off- I mean show you a pic of a Catskill Mountain Wee Folk (grandson) from last summer, dancing in the wild thyme.

Thumbnail by elizaatfalls

elizaatfalls
Haines Falls, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3511066

And a pic of him with his mom, my 2nd daughter , who is passing on the charming herbal lore she was brought up with.

Thumbnail by elizaatfalls

babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3511116

that's great, Grampapa! I also want to attract hummers and butterflies. I definately am checking out the Cecily Mary Barker's flower Faeries. Is that from a website or a garden store? Thyme is a good one! And it smells great! I have some creeping thyme that I want to put in my back yard as a groundcover because grass doesn't grow much but in spots. I have clay soil. Does anyone know if it will grow on a slopping hill that has water runoff during heavy rains in a clay like soil?? I heard putting used coffee grounds on the soil will help it. But I can't drink enough coffe to cover it all! LOL Maybe I can ask coffee shops to save theirs?
I want to rip up the little patches of grass that I have there and plant the thyme. I probably will need about 10 to 20 flats of the thyme I should try ammending the soil and maybe put a small wall at the bottom of the hill by my back door walkway.
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3511129

eliza, the thyme field looks great and the the boy's a little cutie! Have you ever put that photo in any contests? Bet he'd win!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3511223

Elizabeth, he's a darling.

babybird, thyme is pretty tough. it will grow in clay, but some amendment wouldn't hurt. you can grow it easily from seed. you can get it in larger amounts here

http://www.outsidepride.com/store/catalog/Creeping-Thyme-p-16548.html

Starbucks has a policy of saving their coffee grounds for gardeners and some of the others may also. I think most places would give you some if you asked.

Cecily Mary Barker wrote a series of children's books about the flower fairies. here's an interesting site with figurines of the fairies and some other things (see the link about fairy gardens). I couldn't find any of the outdoor fairies, but you might find some if you google. I collect them as Christmas ornaments, tool.

http://www.gardenfairy.com/fairy/index.htm

Thumbnail by grampapa

babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #3511354

thanks grampapa! I put in an order for some of it! And it asked how I found the site. I hope you don't mind, but I said a fellow member of Dave's Garden(website)!
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #3511358

thanks for the gardenfairy link. i will be getting some of those! They would be great hanging from the trees in the garden.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #3513788

glad you enjoyed it.
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3523109

I'm still waiting for my thyme seeds! I even paid extra for the 2 day FED EX delivery! I hope they come today! Otherwise I am going to call and ask for a refund on the delivery charge! They were sent out on Saturday. Anyway, Does anyone know if I have to dig up the little bit of grass that remains on my hill where I am planting it? Or should I cut the spots of grass down really short and spread the seeds? Maybe the thyme will choke out the grass??? Anyone have any idea?
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3525669

You would think that they would arrive on thyme!

I would remove the grass.
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3526393

ok.
LOL
Yeah, I can't believe it! According to the e-mail I recieved from the company, they sent the thyme on Saturday May 18th. I got the 2 day Fed Ex delivery and even if I didn't count Sunday, it should have been here! Well let's see what today brings!
babybird
Wilkes Barre, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
11:51 AM

Post #3526418

Yesterday, I went shopping for more garden stuff.
I bought a small pond (preformed); petunias, cosmo seeds, more pansies and my b/f bought a cross statue AND a Buddah statue! (guess he doesn't want to discriminate on any one religion. LOL!) My older son helped me move the large stones a little so I can find a good place for the pond.. I will be out doing more in the garden today. The way it's turning out at this point, it looks like an over-sized faerie garden! lol
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #3527859

definitely remove the grass.

How fun...a pond! faeries need water. and their friends, the froggies and such, do too. you must post progress pictures.
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3528023

This post makes me think of the little plant I put together. I call it my "fairy plant" *lol*
This little plant came inside a pot with another plant. It was just three little green nubs that had obviously fallen off of something. I can't throw anything green away so I stuck it in some dirt. Well, since then it is growing these cute little "arms". I have no idea what the plant is but it sure is tiny.
The teacup I got at a church bazaar on a table marked "everything, 10 cents each". I LOVE purple and had no idea what I was going to use it for but so glad I picked it up and so if my "fairy plant" *lol*
I collect and love fairies too, especially purple ones :)
Your little fairy garden is going to be simply beautiful. I wanted to post to your thread so that I could watch it's progress. Simply the cutest!

The first picture attached is the "fairy plant" next to a bottled water for size comparison, the second picture is a closeup of the plant (maybe someone will recognize it) and the third picture is the teacup alone with no water beside it *lol*

Enjoy,
Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #3528039

Plant Closeup:

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3528050

Teacup only:

alyrics
Beachwood, OH

May 24, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3529213

I think your little plant is maybe the cactus Opuntia. If not, it is still in the cactus family. Opuntia will drop off small pads that root easily. It is hardy with protection to zone 5 I believe but is also found in the desert and in FL. I used to collect handpainted china and I thought I'd mention that you might want to turn over the cup or saucer to look for a hallmark. They probably don't have one, but in any case, it looks like they used real gold paint - which will begin to wear away from the salts contained in the soil and water, and the contact with water. If you don't care then it doesn't matter of course.
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
12:26 PM

Post #3530235

You know, for $.10 it really doesn't matter to me. There is a hallmark on the bottom of the cup. It says Hand Painted, Ardalt (with capital AD symbol) and numbered 6461. I bought it because it was purple and had no idea what I was going to do with it but the saucer looked like a flower and I just was drawn to it. It sat around, got knocked over, the handle of the cup broke off. I super glued it back on and decided to put this little guy in it. I know it's not the right pot for this plant but he was a tag along in a plant that I bought so if he doesn't make it he doesn't make it but until then I will enjoy him being in this tiny little "fairy cup" *lol*.

Kim

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #3530263

I can't believe I missed this thread! I love fairies, pixies, nomes, ect... The fairy gardens are the most magical gardens of all!!
Here's my "Enchanted Forest" from last year...

Thumbnail by pixie62560

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3530271

And you need the Queen of the Faries present, here she is "Titianna"

Thumbnail by pixie62560

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3530297

OMG! Absolutely Stunning Pixie! I LOVE IT!
Aren't fairies mystical and enchanting? I want a fairy mural in my new bedroom but hubby...well...not so much :(
I keep trying to persuade him though.
Your Fairies are absolutely stunning. Those sell for major big bucks on E-Bay you know!

Kim

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #3530321

I forgot to add my newest fairies...got them for M-Day.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3530329

her twin...

Thumbnail by pixie62560

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3530354

Kim did you mean something like this for your bedroom? DH might not mind it! LOL I bought this picture on ebay framed and drawn free handed by a young new artist.
It is actually not a very good pic, it's beautiful in real life.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3530386

Pixie, I have that same little sandstone girl (the first one). I bought it on E-Bay (got such a good deal on it)! Don't you love her?
Love your drawing!
The mural I want to get is all kinds of fairies in a garden and it covers the WHOLE WALL *lol*. I LOVE fairies SO Much!

Kim
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3537009

kim, love your little fairy cactus in a teacup :0)

pix, your fairy world is beautiful!
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3637744

I enjoyed this thread on fairy gardens. I had never heard of them before. It gave me some ideas for an area in my new garden around a tree stump that needed to be left in to control erosion on the slope. I brought in some top soil and I hope things will grow with the roots still underneath. I've just planted it and was not able to find pansies this late in the season so I used other annuals that still looked good from the nursery. I have a hydrangea (endless summer), hollyhocks, snapdragons, zinnias, alyssum, creeping thyme, and a rose bush for frangance. The fairies on the tree stump table has a solar light. Eleanor

This message was edited Jun 20, 2007 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3637755

I found these fairies on-line and fell in love with them. (Didn't tell DH how much they $$$) Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2007
6:34 PM

Post #3637773

Eleanor, those are wonderful!! I love fairies, have been collecting them from about 7 yrs now and i've never seen those before. Simply beautiful!!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3637790

Very nice Eleanor! Tinkerbell won't let me have any other fairies. She's the jealous type, you know.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3639323

Eleanor, they are absolutely beautiful! My little fairies will be jealous. I just put in some secret doors so the fairies can get in and out of their own world.

Thumbnail by grampapa

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
10:29 AM

Post #3640298

Jan - I love the fairy doors. Where did you get them? Any other ideas or things I could add to the fairy garden? Eleanor

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3640395

Fairy nice ladies!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3640736

Eleanor, I can't find the name of place I got the fairy doors from. It was on E-bay, and I don't see them now. But they have other vendors with similar ones, if you search on 'fairy doors'. This one is a hobbit door. According to my son, you can tell by the rounded top (??)

Thumbnail by grampapa

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3640815

Thank you Fairy much, Victor!! Eleanor
oceangirl
Cape Cod, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2007
10:42 AM

Post #3644473

How charming! Love the fairies and the fairy doors!
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:33 AM

Post #3843690

A friend sent me to The Mettowee Mill Nursery in Vermont. They have a fairy garden dedicated to the memory of a co-worker who died last year as a result of domestice violence. It is beautiful and gave me lots of ideas - houses, tiny furniture and garden tools, and Cicely Mary Baker's flower fairies. (You can buy a lot of those things there) The pics are new additions to my fairy garden. Eleanor

p.s. The fairy is this pic was a donation from my neighbor's grandchildren. One of the children is a girl about 8 years old with special needs - probably fetal alcohol syndrome (she and her sister were adopted) and has emotional issues. Very smart little girl but a little high strung to say the least. She usually comes to the garden without her siblings and looks for "baby toadies" and looks at the flowers and fairies, walks on the stepping stones and bridge. It seems to give her a sense of peace and contentment. It is especially for her (and of course for my pleasure) that I am adding more to the garden for her to find.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #3843694

I made these houses. I used a log cabin from Michaels Arts and Crafts, painted it and added things to try and make it appeal to fairies. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3843696

This is the other house - used a Halloween house again from Michaels. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:40 AM

Post #3843700

One of the new fairies from the Baker collection. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3843702

Another fairy enjoying the fireplace on a garden bench. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3843707

Baby fairy. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3843710

Tulip Fairy enjoying a tea party with no tea!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:46 AM

Post #3843713

Gardening tools and bird bath. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #3843721

The larger fairies are watching over the fairy garden.
p.s. More excitment: Mettowee Nursery suggested I go up to Essex, NY to The Neighborhood Nest - (where they purchased their fairy items) - cause they have tons more. I'm going tomorrow and I can't wait. The salesperson said there is an ice cream place right next door so DH can eat ice cream and I can browse and buy!!!!!! (and he can't see the $$$ tags) I'll post more pics after my trip. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
12:28 PM

Post #3843793

Eleanor, that just beautiful! You have such a creative mind and im sure the little girl will love what you have added.
In your first picture you have a windchime fairy...my DMIL bought me the same one about 4 years ago. I like it because it's a soft tinkling not a clanging sound.
Last year out of boredom I made a little fairytale story and totally had Dave47 speechless! It was kinda funny! You can fine it here starting with Post #2784949
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/656173/
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #3843877

I am very impressed with all of your fairy gardens! So creative and charming! I hope you have lots and lots of fairies visiting.
As for Fairy doors, I saw some for sale on http://www.etsy.com.
they had quite a selection.
I am inspired ---hopefully I can add some pictures too someday!
Tamberlin
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3843896

Pixie - love the story and thank you!! The windchime fairy is the one that my neighbor's grandchildren brought over(grandchildren live on the other side of neighbor and our backyards all connect). It belonged to my neighbor but the kids thought it was too lonely and should be in my garden. I put it by the sign so the windchimes would call all children and fairies to the garden. Eleanor
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #3843908

Tamberlin - thanks for the link to the fairy doors and the comments. I just may have to find a way to use one of those doors!! Eleanor
ngam
Southeast, MA
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3843910

Very sweet scene you have created Eleanor. Children (of all ages) must really love discovering all the little bits and pieces you have collected so far. Sounds like a fun road trip, can't wait to see the new goodies you bring back.
I have not seen any fairies around here but I think there are some pixies milling about occasionally.

Thumbnail by ngam

Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3845980

Simply beautiful! I'm happy this thread started up again, as I have really enjoyed reading about the fairies.

Taelar and I just might create one in the Spring. She's been 'reading' up on it. According to the book she just took out of the library, fairy houses should be constructed out of natural (not living) materials. Hmmmm ... makes me ponder.
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #3846031

Thanks ngam. Candyce - what are natural things "if not living"? I'm pondering that one also!! The ones at the Mettowee Nursery were awesome. They were made of tree bark. I have a pic of one but they were beyond my artistic talent. I tried to paint mine to look like tree bark - LOL!! You will have lots of fun creating a fairy garden. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #3846073

Eleanor:

From what I can remember about the story, the fairy houses were constructed from twigs, and dried leaves, and bark, and even seashells. So, if you didn't go and cut down a tree for its twigs and bark and leaves, but found them on the forest floor, then that would be considered 'natural' but not living.

Does Mettowee Nursery have a website?
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3846425

Candyce - that makes sense! They do have a website, http://www.mettoweemillnursery.com but there are no pics of the fairy garden - just mentioned in a newsletter. But there is an interesting website with pics http://www.weegarden.com telling about twin boys who made a fairy garden and a store called The Neighborhood Nest in Essex, NY (their grandmother owns it). I'm not sure of that website address but you can do a search using the name, town, and state and you will find it. Eleanor
ps - another pic from the Mettowee fairy garden.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3846432

Part of fairy garden from the Mettowee Mill Nursery.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3846440

And another from Mettowee Mill Nursery.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
6:43 PM

Post #3848473

I have really enjoyed reading this post and seeing your wonderful pics. Although I do not have a Fairy Garden myself I would be tempted to give it a try once I get a bigger yard. You people have so many wonderful and inspirational ideas - so creative!
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3849544

New fairy house that I bought today. Hand made by the person who owns The Neighbothood Nest in Essex, NY. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3849548

More finds I bought today - white bench, chair, fairy flipflops and rusted metal fence.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2007 7:36 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3849561

new things in this pic - fairy boots for gardening, sprinkling can.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #3849569

This pic shows the tea cup, saucer and tea pot that I bought today.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3849587

And last this is a pic of a tea cup and saucer filled with a hen (or a chick). This gave me the idea to put small sedums and hens and chickens in my small clay pots instead of the artificial flowers I had. I prefer the live plants. I was going to put live ones in them next year but didn't know what to use until my visit to the Neighborhood Nest. I already have lots of the sedums and hens and chickens so I planted them. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2007
11:48 PM

Post #3926770

I started a small garden where I work. I couldn't help but laugh the day the butterfly attacked my fairy. First year for the garden.

Thumbnail by mgarr

mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3926775

Here's the attack butterfly.

Thumbnail by mgarr

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3926798

mgarr - love your fairy garden. Looks like the butterfly is kissing the fairy!! LOL
I re-made my fairy houses to look more... fairyish!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3926808

Sorry the above is blurry and looks like the sprinkling pot and bench got run over by a crazed squirrel. I used stucco and stuck stones in it and twigs on the roof. This one is made of stucco and stones but the roof is rafia. I appologize if this is blurry also. Eleanor
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3926811

Sorry, forgot the pic! duh!! Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2007
10:17 AM

Post #3927699

Try using moss on the roof of a house. Even when it dried out it looks great. I love your tiny details Eleanor.
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #3927785

Oh, Eleanor and mgarr ~
You have both inspired me with your great photos.

I will be using my winter-time to create some fairie homes for spring. This will be the very first time that I have looked forward to Winter! LOL
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3927841

Candyce - check out Michaels or AC Moore for the frame of a fairy house. Sometimes they have little wooden houses that are just the right size or you can use a bird house also. If you are handy or have a DH that is you can even make your own. It was fun to do. Just make sure glues, paint, etc. are for exterior use or are weather proof. Have lots of fun. Eleanor
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3927857

Eleanor ~
I was actually thinking of using leftover exterior paints and painting river rocks to look like thatched fairie houses. I had seen something like that on TV a long time ago, and the thought stuck with me. I live next to a river of sorts, so finding the larger, rounded rocks shouldn't be much of a problem. The problem will be getting them from the river to my workspace. They will be heavy!!
grammyphoeb
Upper Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3927999

Candyce - that sounds like an awsome plan. Post pics of finished houses. Eleanor
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3928124

You betcha!
PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3938088

mgarr - where did you purchase all of your little 'dodads'? They're interesting!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #3938525

SOOO CUTE!
mgarr
Hanover Twp., PA
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #3938918

The house is just ceramic unfinished with a coat of paint and twigs glued on. A thin layer of moss for the roof. The tiny items from A C Moore. This year we are building a tower out of small stones. Just look around go to a thrift shop there are all sorts of places to give you ideas.
PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #4924013

New Thread started for 2008! Let's go here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/845145/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature gardens delphiniumdiva 73 Jul 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Garden gnomes in their natural habitat. Pixydish 236 Mar 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America