Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Patio Under a Tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 6, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cagardengirl
Holbrook, AZ

May 15, 2007
5:09 PM

Post #3500193

I need some advice! I have a large, 40-year old apple tree that shades out the lawn that once existed beneath. We would like to remove the spotty messy turf and put in a patio. I don't want to hurt the tree or deprive it of water etc. Any advice?
cagardengirl
Holbrook, AZ

May 19, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3513157

No advice at all? Help!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #3514237

Have you considered using packed pea gravel? That way you could have your patio yet water could still get to the roots of your tree.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 20, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #3515134

HI Gardengirl, is this tree an ornamental apple or fruit bareing??? daft question I know, but, we have ornamental apple that have very tiny fruits, Crab Apples with lovely blossom, anyway, IF the trunk is tall enough, you could place a shaped seat around the tree, hexagon shape, and leave room for the trunk to expand, as your tree has stood the test of time, the roots must be really strong, on the ground where your feet will walk, you could put down the pea gravel, in a colour that would match in with any stonework on your house or where ever, if you dont want just pea gravel, you can plant things that like light shade or spring bulbs into the gravel for when the tree is bare, if you dont like the idea of pea gravel, you can lay paving stones but use sand for bedding into instead of concrete, the sand will still let water though and you can plant a few ground cover plants into the cracks in the paveing stones, just a few here and there to break it up.
I dont know if this helps, but it would look like a garden feature on it's own, good luck. WeeNel.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3515295

Good idea with the pea gravel! We have a tree in our front yard that is surrounded by a patio and driveway, and is right next to the road. The previous owners put gravel maybe 2 ft. in diameter around the tree and its doing fine. Its also gigantic, I have no idea where it is in comparison to 40 ft, but its really big. Also not sure what type of tree it is, maybe oak or maple or something. Anyway, point of the story is its doing really well, and I like the idea of putting the bench around the tree!

Kristie
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

May 20, 2007
12:43 PM

Post #3516297

My $0.02...

Pea gravel could be messy, unrestrained and hard to sweep/clean.

Is the location such that you could build a low deck? This would minimally interrupt the roots, and rainwater would drain through.

You could put down a sand base and pavers, but I don't know how that would effect the water to the tree. It might be a good question for the Tree/Shrub forum folks.

SB
cagardengirl
Holbrook, AZ

June 11, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3602760

Thanks all! Great advice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America