Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: What are these flowers??

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
twomoons
Concrete, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3500677

These have come up quickly, started about a month ago, are now almost 5' tall...
My pics aren't so great, so bear with me please...
They starting to fall over, should I stake them??
Mostly, what are they?
I have many more pics of things I can't identify..I inherited this yard when we bought the house last August...
Thanks!!

Thumbnail by twomoons
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 15, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3500739

I cant really see the true colour of your plant, if I were to take a guess it looks like Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum) tall stem with leaves opp each other and as the stem droops, Natural, tiny white bell shaped flowers droop on the underside of the stems.
You said you have just moved into this garden last year, if I were you I would just weed, tend what you have and keep a photo album, that way you wont dig up plands that have still to come up and show you what beauties they are, next season you can move them, get rid of them or leave them.
If you can get a better picture on tell a little about the leaf shap, flower colour etc, maybe others csn be of more help.
Good Luck. WeeNel.
twomoons
Concrete, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3500997

Solomons seal was what I thought too!!! Saw it in a gardening magazine!!!
Stems are green and flowers are white.
Thanks soo much...
1 down, 15 to go!! lol
twomoons
Concrete, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3501039

Still would like to know about maybe staking it up?
Also, I have a big Bleeding Heart that I think would be beautiful with this; Can I move it now or should I wait until it finishes blooming??

Thanks
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 15, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3501194

Hi twomoons, so glad that you found the right name of your plant, it is a very graceful plant and the droop is perfectly natural, so you dont stake it, that is why people grow it, for it's grace, the stems are really quite sturdy, so dont worry about the droop, it is how it should be.
As regards your bleeding heart (Dicentra) you have prob got Spectabilis, pink flowers/white hearts, with grey green leaf, both these plants we are talking about are perennials, they come up each year and die down in winter, but as I don't know about your climate, the best time to move, divide, plant, is either the end of the flowering season while the soil is still a bit warm, or, come spring, when the new shoots are breaking the grownd, and the soil is warming up, I assume that as the Solomons seal is in flower as in the picture, so the Bleeding heart must be also, what I do in my herbaceous borders is put a cane into the ground and a labble with the name and when it flowered, hight, colour etc, then when it is time to move them, you know exactly where they are and where to put your spade in, that way, you dont go dig the wrong plant or destroy half of it's nrighbour.
Word of warning about the bleeding heart, it has very fleshy roots that are so easy to break, so make sure you dig out a good clump, or, all the plant, and keep as much soil around it as pos or it will just fall to bits, if you can get the whole plant out, lay it gently on the ground and with your spade, cut it in half, quarter or whatever. put plenty of new compost into the new planting hole and a little general fertaliser to give it a good start,then a good drink of water, the Solomon has real tough tuberous roots and will need cut up the same way, but you may have to put a foot onto the spade as you cut, both these plants like dapple shade for best flowers. I like to split up my plants (Herbaceous only) every 4 to 5 years, they soon outgrow the spot, it also lets me add some feed into the borders at this time and change what I dont like, maybe clashing colours etc. Sounds like the earlier owners had good taste eh.
Hope this helps, good luck.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America