Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Terrarium Gardening: I caught a lizard inside my house

Communities > Forums > Terrarium Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Terrarium GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dyskrasia
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3501185

I don't suppose anyone could identify it for me could they? It kind of reminds me of an iguana but it has a 2" body and 5" tail.

Thumbnail by Dyskrasia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyskrasia
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3501189

Here is another pic

Thumbnail by Dyskrasia

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2007
8:31 PM

Post #3508209

Looks like a regular ole' Anole Lizard (Chameleon) to me ... Good Critter's to have around! They eat all kinds of bugs! Sometimes they are real green in color, but most of the time when I see them they are tan to brown in color. We have loads of them around our house ... I'm always saving them from our cats! The Cat's get upset that I take their little toys away, but I'd rather have them alive and eating the bugs than being Cat toys! These little guys don't have teeth, at least none I've ever seen. They just hold onto your finger with their mouth like a suction cup! It's about the only "Critter" I'm not afraid of!

http://www.hilozoo.com/animals/AR_anole.htm
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6128240

I agree with plantlady...looks lake a common fence lizard. I find one in my house about once every 3 months or so. Often by the time I find them they are pretty emaciated-looking and lethargic, so they are easy to catch. I am happy to let them go in my gardens because they keep the bugs down. The lizards are happy I don't have any cats...only a dog who is too clumsy to ever catch one :)

Thumbnail by passiflora07

jmp24
Medford, NJ

April 29, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6478692

I lived in Jamaica for a while, and lizards in the house were a common thing. They don't hurt much, but will probably be happier outside!
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

June 29, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6754178

Anoles are so cute. Males have the red dewlap on their neck for impressing the ladies or more likely for scaring off curious humans. My sister in law got one for her kids as a pet. She only kept it for about a month because keeping the little guy (gal?) fed with fresh crickets became a tiresome routine. Just because it's in the pet store doesn't mean it makes a good pet!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 29, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6754280

We have a LOT of them outside. TEENY ones on up to big ones. I have found eggs they lay too. They eat bugs and they are great to have around! I have seen them eat roaches in the garden!
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6754293

I live about 20 miles from you and we have about 25 of those suckers in our yard. Each owns his own territory and they will come drink after you water a certain area. They are generally unafraid of humans and will let you get very close.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America