CLOSED: What kind of duck is this?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw this duck up in a tree a couple of houses down from me this morning. Hubby said it's some kind of Mexican Squealer. He sure was making a squealing sound. He named off a few things it could have been. I thought to be sure, I'd come to the experts here.

Any ideas?

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Donna. I'll be sure to pass that ID on to hubby. :-) He hung around long enough for me to get at least a dozen shots of him. I wish he'd been closer and not so dern high. He must have been about 40-50 ft. in the top of the tree and there was a house between my yard and the yard that tree is in. It seems to be a favorite landing spot for bigger birds as they pass through here.

Janet

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I always laugh at ducks in trees. But they are in them quite often.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet, that's a great photo - you did really well, especially considering the distance!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Murmur. I was pleased with the photos. I wish he'd been more on "eye level" so I could have seen the top of him.

If I get up early enough and take my coffee out back to wake up, I see 2 ducks fly down the "bayou" (drainage ditch). Late evening,sometimes I'll see 2 ducks flying the other direction. I think those are teal but can't really tell because it's never light enough to get a good look at them.

Janet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images