Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Lambs ears

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buffettfan
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3512241

Are lambs ears and rose campion the same thing? I just purchased a plant from a nursery and the tag says it's a rose campion, but the leaves look larger on the actual plant than on the tag it came with.
Turtle_35206
Cordele, GA

May 19, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #3512478

They are not the same plant. Rose Campion is a shortlived perennial with bright , velvety magenta flowers and silvery leaves and stems. It reseeds prolifically, but is easily pulled up. You always have seedlings to replace older clumps that look ragged.

Lambs ears is a silvery velvety leaved plant that lives longer and puts up scapes of tiny pale pink mint like flowers clusters with leafy bracts. There is a form that does not bloom. The plants live longer and spread by stolens.

Both provide good silver foliage for the south, however the lambs ears makes a better edging plant (I think).

Beth
Buffettfan
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3514483

Turtle35206,
Thanks for your response. That's what I was afraid of. So I purchased a lambs ear (which is nice too) instead of the rose campion. I guess I won't be heading back to that nursery anytime soon!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America