Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Lambs ears

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Buffettfan
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #3512241

Are lambs ears and rose campion the same thing? I just purchased a plant from a nursery and the tag says it's a rose campion, but the leaves look larger on the actual plant than on the tag it came with.
Turtle_35206
Cordele, GA

May 19, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #3512478

They are not the same plant. Rose Campion is a shortlived perennial with bright , velvety magenta flowers and silvery leaves and stems. It reseeds prolifically, but is easily pulled up. You always have seedlings to replace older clumps that look ragged.

Lambs ears is a silvery velvety leaved plant that lives longer and puts up scapes of tiny pale pink mint like flowers clusters with leafy bracts. There is a form that does not bloom. The plants live longer and spread by stolens.

Both provide good silver foliage for the south, however the lambs ears makes a better edging plant (I think).

Beth
Buffettfan
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3514483

Turtle35206,
Thanks for your response. That's what I was afraid of. So I purchased a lambs ear (which is nice too) instead of the rose campion. I guess I won't be heading back to that nursery anytime soon!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America