Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Strawbale Gardening: Tomatoes in Straw Bales

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
currjejr
West End, NC

May 19, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3514026

My first post. What is the best way to stake tomatoes in straw bales? Straw bale gardening is new for me this year- read a lot prior to starting. It looks great so far. Tomato plants are 10-12" high. Thanks for any help. I'm in NC.
Joe

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3516519

The articles I read said to just insert tall bamboo poles all the way through the bales while the plants are still young. You will have to tie the plants to the poles as they grow.

I am trying two plants in bales this year but I do not have a reliable source of water where I have them so I am not optimistic. If they do halfway OK I will try them in a better location next year.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3516630

currjejr wrote "What is the best way to stake tomatoes in straw bales?"

I put fence stakes on the sides of the bales, and attached field fencing to that. For me stakes have never been enough, but I'm growing big, indeterminate plants, so that may be different. My bales are hay, and decomposing pretty fast, so I don't think they'd hold stakes up, unless they were well into the ground, as well. I put the fence on the east side, as my predominate winds are out of the west, hoping they would be better supported. This is my first attempt, so may be all wrong:) The Strawbale forum has some good pictures in the early threads.
HTH
Margo C

Thumbnail by catmad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3516787

Good idea Margo, thanks.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

May 21, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3517988

Great picture, catmad! A good friend of mine recently converted to "bale gardening" exclusively for her veggies, and that picture clearly demonstrates her reason. Hard not to notice all the happy, healthy weeds running along the base of the bales, but NONE in the bales themselves. A simple pass with a weed-whacker every week or two sure beats bending down and pulling them by hand! But how do you handle vining crops, particularly heavy-fruited ones like Melons and Cukes?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #3519312

StonoRiver wrote; "But how do you handle vining crops, particularly heavy-fruited ones like Melons and Cukes?"

I'm new at this, too, but here's the plan:). The cukes have their own fence, and will be trellised. The melons, pumpkin and non-bush squash will be allowed to crawl down the sides, and sprawl on a bed of hay. My potatoes are in the middle of a bale square, and the melons, etc. on top. We'll see how it goes.
I'm actually counting on the weeds to keep the bales cooler during the hot summer, and maybe the tomatoes will be happier.
Margo C
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #3519763

Look under propagation, I think thats the name of the forum but I can't spell and you will see a guy from Wakeforest who is doing this and has been in a few magazines.

Lavina
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #3520746

It's under "StrawBale Gardening" on the Vegetable Gardening forum, it's up to #12:). It's very popular, and busy. Not to mention, FUN!!
Join Us!!
Margo

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America