-
AuthorContent
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3514987

Last year we were in a co-op for coneflowers. Some made it, some didn't. Some flourished, some faltered.

Here's some of mine. How are your's doing?

Kim's Knee High, in addition to what you can see, there are about 7-8 more blooms working. I have another 2 of these plants that are on their way back to booming!

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3514993

Sundown: there are 17 blooms/buds on this plant. It has filled out very well and stands about 2 feet tall.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3514999

Here is a regular coneflower, pink. A friend gave me 3-4 of these plants at a roundup and I believe she's calling them Florida natives. They love my sand!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3515002

And last but not least and not even an echinacea, and certainly not one from the co-op, Prairie Coneflower.

Doesn't matter, I'm still cone crazy!!!!!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3515294

Molly-My coneflowers have not started to bloom yet, but I am anxiously awaiting them all. I love the picture of your Sundown! Beautiful!
I don't have all the new colored ones yet, but have Ruby Giant. It smells delicious!
The Goldfinches love the seeds once the flowering stops so I never end up deadheading. Oh, the seedlings! :)))
Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Bev
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

May 20, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3515370

yes, nice pics! Mine won't bloom until August, I have pink Magnus and white White Swan. It is my experience that White Swan isn't as vigorous as the pinks.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3515717

Looks good Molly. I only have White Swan budding now, I have about 25 varieties. How do yours do in the heat of summer there?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #3516262

Al,

I must say I had a couple hybrids from the co-op die, (although the jury may still be out on that one) but the ones that are thriving now, are in full sun all day long, every day of the year. They seem to do fine.

Since I have been here less that 2 years, everyday in the garden is still a learning experience. Not the same thing as gardening in the tropics.

Molly
:^))))
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3518731

Al, I didn't know that there were that many varieties of coneflowers.

I absolutely love them as well. Last year was my first time, but I think they are great. I did get two razzamatazzs this year that I am waiting to bloom. In addition, I have kim's knees, kim's mophead, magnus, and lots of white swans. I'm still debating getting one of the newer Big Sky series - sundown. I also really like the pink double delight.

That dopplenger gives me the creeps though.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2007
11:31 AM

Post #3519115

Probably over 30 kinds of echinacea now, then add in ratibida and at least the hardy rudbeckia and it's a high number. They are now getting to have some varieties similar to each other. Molly won't like to hear this, but I really didn't care for Sundown - the flowers formed were often deformed and the color fades back to purple rather fast. Sunrise is nice. Razzamatazz is surprisingly hardy here - not a bad flower. Doppleganger got sick and I put it to sleep here.

here is Sundown from last year

Thumbnail by bigcityal

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2007

Post #3519222

Al, I like the color of your sundown. Seeing it made me realize that I was referring to After Twilight. It's supposed to have a richer color than magnus. Do you have After Twilight as well?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3520778

I picked up After Midnight this year - is that what you mean? The color should be close to Fatal Attraction which was my favorite last year.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3521957

Yes, I meant After Midnight.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

May 22, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #3524996

After Twilight is for those of us who can't stay awake til After Midnight. *grin*
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3525336

That really would be me! :)
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

May 23, 2007
5:34 PM

Post #3527666

me too, LOL.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3527708

Al,
I still like the color of your Sundown. Looks like the smaller newer flowers still come the Sundown color?
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2007
7:32 PM

Post #3528061

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the names mixed up!

MollyMc - Those are really big plants for being such babies...you must be a good gardener!

Al, Your collection was beautiful last year, so I bet this year it will be absolutely stunning! In fact, I added 5 more plants because your pictures were so pretty.

I remembered what you said about trying to pick up stuff half price but I had to pass on some 1/2 price Gallardia 'Goblin' last night because Mr. Clean wouldn't wait for the manager to override the register to get my discount. I really could have used those! In big pots, they were only $2.50 each!

Suzy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3528197

Kelly,
Tiki Torch has now hit the market as an orange echinacea. Terra Nova puts out better plants than Big Sky so I am hoping that one will be nicer.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3528258

oooo, I bet that's a pretty one. I have to get some colored Echinacea. I have only the purple ones. In fact they were from you at last years RU and are doing great.

Kelly
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3528375

I can get you some White Swan. I have Fragrant Angel and Primmadonna White - which is a stud.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3529261

Forgot I have White Swan, Lauren brought it for me last year. So don't have the room for much more in the bed they are both in.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3530186

Al, would you please describe the differences between White Swan, Hope, and Angel and Primadonna. I have never seen them together to be able to figure out the differences. Right now, I only have White Swan.

I would love to know your favorite of them, and why.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3532317

I do not have any pics of Hope - it is new for me this year. Supposed to be a little more pinker, we'll see. Sometimes factors like flowering, hardiness etc are factors in liking.

Here is White Swan, certainly nothing to say bad about it. Very hardy,good flowering. It gets bigger and reseeds so it still seems funny that it sells for as much as it does - same with Magnus.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3532331

Fragrant Angel is supposed to be more fragrant, but my nose isn't the best and it smells the same to me. Certainly different from the other white ones by the flatness of the flowers. I like the large flat petals. Maybe not as many flowers as White Swan. A bit taller I would say also.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3532341

Those are both nice plants Al.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3532344

Primadonna White is like a bigger version of White Swan. Mine was in a pot last year which limited it's overall size some. It is a tossup for which one I like better between Fragrant Angel on this one. I have seen Avalanche for sale also that is a different white.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3532348

Thanks Kelly

I recall seeing Coconut Lime for sale now too, which is the white Razzmatazz. It's a pretty good bet that any of the popular purple forms they will find the white(albino) form of.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3532675

Thank you Al, that was very helpful. It is easy to distinguish the other coneflowers because of the colors. Now, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because I don't have six different white ones. I will be content with White Swan and Kim's Mophead.

I may have to consider the vintage wine colors though.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2007
9:56 AM

Post #3533570

These are ready to go in the ground at Lisa's. When I pull them up in the fall I will not want to take them to the dump and I have no idea what to do with the 90 plants I will have. I change the beds by the pool twice a year.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2007
10:18 AM

Post #3533579

Dale,

Throw in the dump??????? I know a home for those poor orphans!!!!

Molly
:^)))
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #3533749

Its hard to image that someone would have a gardener purchase and install perennials, and then treat them like annuals by pulling them out at the end of the season. Its a huge waste of money, but on the other hand, they probably have a fabulous looking garden year round.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3533828

I bet you have a few local gardeners that would take them off your hands if you tell them when you pull them out.
Guess that is like locally here, at the malls, colleges, and etc, they put in tulips, dig them, etc. Right now, I just noticed a 100+ small lantana plants just planted in a 10' x 4' strip at a mall entrance, and know that this fall they will rip them out! Sad! Last Christmas they has Rosemary trimmed in tree shapes with bows on top, pretty but such a waste of nice plants.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3533842

Sheila,

It would be great if you could convince the mall or the company that takes care of their plants to give them to local gardeners. You could start a trend that spread throughout the country!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #3533942

Might just ask about that. It would be nice to give them to nursing homes, community centers, daycares, or just anyone that would replant and not resell.
Oh, as far as Cone crazy...I got a Giant Cone Flower a couple seasons ago. This year it zoomed to over 6 foot tall! LOL! Not much to look at, but definately a "what is that?" from my neighbors. I have it next to a Verbascum so it looks like I am putting hormones in that bed! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #3533958

Here is a distant shot.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3534078

Oh My Gosh!
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

May 26, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3539242

What is that tree Sheila (fingers crossed that I can grow it here)?
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2007
11:53 PM

Post #3539436

It might be a crepe myrtle.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3539476

Sheila,
I have a few of the more native rudbeckias. Definitely back border plant.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/41986/

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3539739

Yes, Prarie Girl it is a Crepe Myrtle, doubt you can grow there, sorry.
Al, those are native, silly me I didn't even try looking them up! I bought it from Botanic Garden Sale last year just for fun. It won't stay there, need to put them at the back of the class next year! LOL!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3541129

Hi, everybody, love the pics of all the coneflowers. I have no idea there were so many pretty kinds. Molly and Al, you must be a fountain of info on coneflowers with all the varieties you grow. I

...so, after lurking here I asked my sister for some starts of her CF from her butterfly garden. Paradoxa and the old fashioned pinky kind.

I picked up from posts above that they like full sun or at least lots of it. Now I'm wondering what kind of soil they need? Dryish? Sandy? Can they survive in amended nice garden soil? (Did I waste my time amending?!! LOL)

Also, do you get a lot of butterflies (and if so, which kinds of BFs) on your cone flowers? And, if so, do you know which kind of coneflower they visit the most?

Just wondering which CF would be best for the butterfly garden...there are so many in the nurseries now.

Thanks a million. t.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3541547

tabasco,

My coneflowers are in sand with only minor amendments. Can't afford to amend 5 acres so I pick plants that like sand. They are also in full sun, all day long. They appear to be drought tolerant so you save on watering.

These are the B'flies that are partial to the CF. They rotate between these and Kim's. They also spend equal time over on the Lantana.

I don't mind the flowers fading. The one that is faded out in this photo is the first bloom that I posted on the 19th. It just got a paler shade.

I have a yellow and a white coneflower that are still growing and have yet to bloom. More to look forward to.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3541554

Please excuse the bucket. Until finances allow, my water recapturing system is buckets catching any rain from the roof edges. I am looking into drain gutters weekly.

Molly
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3542186

My butterflies ignore my coneflowers. They go for porterweed (#1), zinnia, epidendrum orchids and gaillardia more often.

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3542535

Wow, Molly, I couldn't get that beautiful butterfly if I'd plant a million cone flowers! Very pretty and I didn't even notice the bucket 'til you mentioned it!

dale--very interesting that the BFs ignore your coneflowers. Do you have mostly the modern hybrids? Your BFs must have quite a 'buffet' in your garden to pass up coneflowers!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3542578

tabasco - Echinacea are tolerant of most soil as long as it is not wet during the winter - if it is then helenium are a nice alternative. Rudbeckia in general can handle wetness a little better - with a few liking it better. Ratibida like it drier. I don't have any real pattern as to what coneflowers the butterflies go to - I appear to be trying to attract bees ;)

I really do need to stop moving mine every year so they can get larger - I enlarged their bed this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2007

Post #3542633

Al, thanks for the tips.

I think I have the wrong place picked out for my coneflowers. I have ratibida in a dry (nasty) spot and they seem to like it. Very cute, too.

About 30% of my rudbeckia 'prairie sun' return year to year, but they reseed a bit and that's nice, too, for a staggered bloom period.

I think helenium is a nice garden flower and must get some of those, too.

You have me hooked!
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3542774

I have coneflowers in regular garden soil and they do great there, too! I find that, not only do the butterflies love them, so do the goldfinches! I let the seedheads stay on and the birds have a party out there!!
Bev
ladyblue62
Adrian, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #3542873

I did the coneflower co-op and they all came almost dead and then they died , A very bad co-op as far as I was concerned, I didn't have one that was healthy. It would have been nice to have a couple make it!
I had high hopes too!
Bonnie
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3543084

Bonnie,

Yes, that was an unfortunate co-op. I fared a bit better. I believe I have 4-5 survivors out of a dozen. Maybe you could try growing some from seeds?

They were in the ground all of last summer, a few died right off. The ones that survived really seem to kick in this year.

I have a row of no name coneflowers some one gave to me at a roundup, and they haven't been in quite a year, but they are really growing tall and making lots of buds, even in this sand.

Molly
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2007
4:54 AM

Post #3547616

Bonnie and Molly -- I lost all my coneflowers, too. Too bad they weren't from the coop because I paid nearly top dollar by buying the from Park's & I lost a bundle! The things they shipped were absolutely pathetic, they were so small.

I bought Tiki Torch this year, will post pics when/if it gets a bloom :)

Suzy
lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2007
7:31 AM

Post #3547755

I loved my Sundown so much last year that I dividied it into 2 last fall and bought 3 more this year. The color is very orange with just a pink cast for me. I have Tiki torch on my list for this fall and may also have to get some After Midnight. May use the Tiki Torch to replace my no namers in the front garden. I love that shade of orange and think they would echo the color of the daylily Orange Velvet.

Susan
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #3548001

It's so hard to choose because there are so many now. I have a very nice clump of Ruby Giant that I am in love with. I planted Sunset and Twilight late last season and they are just getting started. Just glad to see they are alive.

ed for sp.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 8:16 AM

Thumbnail by grampapa

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #3548007

sorry, bad pic. here's proof that the butterflies like them.

Thumbnail by grampapa

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3549945

bad pic bad spelling -JEEZ!

I didn't lose any over winter, although Harvest Moon and Sunrise are slow to come around. I am also eyeing up Tiki Torch in hopes that it's a better orange. I've got a bud on Green Envy now so that's exciting.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #3550529

yeah, yeah, at least I admit my mistakes. it's not nice to pick on old retired ladies ;0)

I love 'Green Envy'. Need to see a pic when your bud opens.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3550798

I went shopping today for new echinacheas, and came home empty handed. I really wanted After Midnight, but they didn't have it in stock. I almost bought Vintage Wine, but I balked at the price. Then I decided that I would just get Sunset, but of course, I couldn't find that either. I probably stop by again next week, but by then, I may not have any more room in the bed.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3550813

Vintage Wine should be a bit cheaper since Fatal Attraction is the improved version. Sunset is virtually gone now that they switched to Sundown as the better version(neither is IMHO).

Jan I knew about the old part and the retired part, part not the old retired ;)
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3550856

I was surprised that Vintage Wine was more expensive than Razzmatazz.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3551037

Those are both about $10 here for a 6" pot.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3551118

Molly, I didn't see your coneflowers while I was there. Where were they? I didn't even walk over and look at your daylilies. I was going to, but I kept seeing something else to go look at. : )

Dale, if you have a problem getting rid of those coneflowers,... I, like Molly, will gladly take them off your hands. Don't throw them away.

I planted coneflower seeds for the first time this year (the regular pink). They are only about 6 inches tall right now, but looking good. : )

~Lucy
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2007
9:32 AM

Post #3551647

Lucy,

The coneflowers are in the bed along the front of the orchid house/patio. They weren't nearly as big then as they are now. What a difference a couple weeks makes.

Oh yes, and the daylilies weren't putting on much of a show then either, certainly not like now.

Moll
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2007
10:49 AM

Post #3551733

I haven't bought any new ones for my new cottage garden, but I will be wanting some.

Al, you are the coneflower connoiseur. I'll check with you before ordering. ps now you know.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3551842

Al, Vintage Wine was $16. Now you know why I was balking!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3551851

$16! - Even the newest ones After Midnight and Summer Sky weren't that high here. I would wait for a better price or different seller.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3557843

I have a question to this obviously expert coneflower group. I wintersowed a lot and they did really well. Then I planted some out where they are going to be (for while) and they are doing fine, full sun, in soil pockets in lasagna beds.

Then I potted up a bunch of them into Miracle Grow potting soil in large pots (at least a quart, that was all I had). They did well in morning shade and filtered afternoon light. Then I moved them to where they are now getting some morning sun only. And half of them are dying.

Should I not have moved them as much? Did I perhaps overwater ( I went away for three days so I watered especially well before and after)? Any other thoughts? Are they still salvageable?

I was so excited about getting all those plants from my wintersowing. I will be very grateful for any thoughts you might share on this.

C., Zone 7a
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3557936

I am not really an expert, but my experience when I transplant plants like that is -it is stressful to them and I always help them out initialy by having them in light shade(no afternoon sun) until they go a while without wilting then move them into full sun.
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 31, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3557980

Lots of varieties. If you had to pick one favorite, what would it be?
I have the plain purple coneflower and it's so easy and rewarding later in the season that I am thinking that I should add more, preferably in a different color.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 31, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3558169

I also would like to add more. Space is of concern to me right now though. I've done run out of garden space
enya_34
Madison, WI

May 31, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3558177

Same here. It would be nice to know the picks from those who tried a few varieties.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3558261

Thanks, Al. Do you have any idea about watering? I understand that they can take dry conditions, but obviously not at this tender age. But could I have overwatered them? For now, I guess, I'll move them into all shade, even though I potted them at least two weeks ago. So most of that time they were in morning shade and afternoon filtered light.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3558586

One of the ways to pick from the multitude of choices is to choose if you prefer the normal coneflowered down-angled petals or the petals that go out, like a regular daisy.

As it happens, I prefer the down-facing petals because I look across at my garden and having them all on the same plane makes them sort of disappear. The downfacing petals actually give me more flower to view. (I also look across from a seated position on my patio, but the same thing applies.)

If you typically are standing or walking as you view them from above, you would probably prefer the outfacing petals.

Just my 2˘ on how I choose mine.

Suzy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3558647

As long as the soil and pots are well draining it is doubtful that you could have overwatered them. 3 times a week should be enough.

Here is a list of my ratings for coneflowers(ratibida,rudbeckia,echinacea)

Stars:
Pixie Meadowbright
Ruby Giant
Razzmatazz
Sunrise
Primadonna White
Fragrant Angel
Fatal Attraction
Rudbeckia Takao - you'll never find it though
Henry Eihler's rudbeckia
Rudbeckia Goldsturm

Less than great/undecided
Jade
Primadonna Rose
Sparkler
White Swan
Harvest Moon
Vintage Wine
Orange meadowbright/Art's Pride
Rudbeckia Green Wizard
Doubledecker

Not as good:
Sundown
Sunset

Natives: Nothing wrong with these, they might have less flowers and more plant for some settings - Echinacea pallida is nice,Ratibida pinnata has a lot of flowers, Paradoxa has great color but fewer flowers.

Still a lot I have yet to flower or see that are missing. These are my opinions only.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #3558676

Thanks, Al. I'll be patient and see what happens.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 31, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #3559009

Al,
Thanks for the list
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3559459

I grew ratibida (Mexican Hats) from seed this spring, and so far, I've been disappointed. The foliage is very airy, but the stems are so limp that it flops over. I was actually getting ready to chuck it, when I noticed that there was a flower blooming. Then, I felt obligated to plant it in the garden. I have it near my irish eyes, which are just beginning to bloom. The regular purple echinacea is fairly close to them as well.

Is ratibida usually floppy?
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3559506

Al,

You didn't mention Fancy Frills.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3559580

Penne,

Yes, it is awful -- I yanked mine out.

Suzy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3559736

Don't get me going on Fancy Frills ;( I ordered it from Wayside - it died, they "replaced' it(with me paying $9 to ship one 2" pot and that one died also. I am trying to get it again.

Yes ratibida is floppy. My mexican hats overwintered here.
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 1, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #3560310

Al,
Thank you for the suggestions with ratings. Looked up your top list members and have a question.

Is Fragrant Angel really fragrant? I don't remember echinacea as a fragrant flower from last year. At least I could not smell it walking past neither early morning nor late at night. I saw Al's comment. Anybody can second or contradict?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
12:10 PM

Post #3565089

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/plant.asp?code=1&genus=Echinacea&use=C

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page36.html

Started looking up all the coneflowers! Lots of choices!

Al, OK, I'll bite--why won't we find 'Takao'? I googled for it and only rare listings for the USA. How did you find it? http://www.buyperennials.com/rudbeckia_takao.htm

I grew ratibida last year and it was floppy. This year it is straight up. Who knows?!! (But I have been watering a lot the past couple of weeks...can that be it?"

I bought coneflower 'paradoxa' on close-out last fall. Planted it in my new lasagna bed. It is doing Nothing. Only leaves 7 inches tall. Is that normal? Anyone know about this one?

Are the blooms of 'Ruby Giant' really 7 inches across?!! If so, those would give some 'substance' to my butterfly border!

Enjoyed studying this thread. Great posts!

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #3565231

Hey you found Takao. I bought mine a few years ago locally and last year it was not to be seen. What happened to mine was it either died and reseeded untrue as a triloba or reverted - either way it was gone and not the same plant there. I figured they stopped growing it because of the same reasons. It's like a Black eyed susan, but in a hard leafed(fulgida) form
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/94349/
Ruby Giant is pretty big, 7" - not sure, bigger than Magnus. Your links remind me that I "do" have Rocky Top, the dog broke it off and I am hoping it regrows from the roots - not a bad flower, unique form.
I do tie up the ratibida pinnata flowers from flopping.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3565684

bigcitygal...

I bought this 'thing' in the garden dept at Lowe's, that is a circle with three prongs. You slip the circle over the plant and push the prongs down in the ground. It holds up those floppy plants really good, and comes in different sizes. I'll take a picture of mine when it quits raining here.

~Lucy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3565714

Lucy,
Those work nice I have some of them.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #3565825

Ok, the rain slacked up. Here is the 'thing' holding up the flower on the left.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 2, 2007

Post #3566252

Blue,
Those are the same ones I have and I really like them.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3566438

I only bought one...but I like it alot. The wind is blowing pretty hard today, from that tropical storm going by, but that plant is doing just fine. Gonna start picking up a few of them when I'm in Lowe's. : )

~Lucy
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3566779

Have to give my favorites performers...
1)Sunrise (by far, best performer for me)
2)Sundown
3)Harvest Moon
4)Sunset
5)Twilight
6)Art's Pride
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 3, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #3569685

I bought a couple of the new orangish coneflowers when they first came out - from white flower farms, and they were very disappointing because they were expensive and small, and languished until they disappeared. I'm afraid to try again, although this year I ordered a couple of perennials
along with a tree peony from Klehms, and the plants are in containers and look beautiful and large and healthy. I don't mind paying a higher price if they are going to do well.
Sharon
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3570581

I bought Mango Meadowbright from White Flower Farm a few years back, and was very disappointed in the performance. It performed as you describe, poor and then died off.
I can tell you from a lot of first hand experience, Klehm's takes extremely excellent care of their plants from coneflowers to tree peonies, from conifers to magnolias. They have greenhouses full of beautifully, well cared for plants. Sharon, a coneflower from them is the best there is.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3570684

I can't wait to show picks of what I am calling my "homegrowns." These are the no name ones that were given to me a year ago as seedlings. They are almost thigh high now. with numerous buds and many opening right now.

I want to save the photo for when they are wide open in their splendor.

Molly
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3570701

Just went to Klehm's (www.songsparrow.com) and I really want Summer Sky. LOL! You guys are dangerous!

Molly, I bet they are gorgeous...probably just as good as what you can buy for $18.00 each. I have about 5 seedlings, but I forget what the pod parent was. Guess I'll see what they look like next year. The thing is, I don't have room for cone after cone after cone -- I want other things, too.

Suzy
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3570733

Suzy,

I know you are going to hate me...I have 5 acres, plus my BF has 5 acres across the road that I can play in too...but I keep most of the good stuff here. He can't stand disarray and I cannot garden neatly. He's gonna be upset when the cannas, caladiums, EE's and mother in law tongue jump out of the flowerbeds and run across the lawn. heeheeheehee!!!

Molly
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3570735

I bought 'Summer Sky' from Klehm's last weekend. The plant was beautiful.
Molly, look forward to seeing pix of your seedlings. Can't wait.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3570765

Well, Mags, what else did you buy? I don't want to place my order and then have you post all the other things you bought that I should have looked at. LOL!

Oh, Molly, I don't hate you -- LOL! Not even jealous. Well, maybe a little bit -- I bet you can grow all kinds of things in Florida that we treat as annuals, and on five acres, I bet the whole thing is filled with exotic butterflies and armadillos. ROTFL! Yes, I bet all those plants will be jumping across the street -- you can always say the birds must have pooped out the seed.

Suzy
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #3570792

Suzy,

I don't allow armadillos here, nor regular ole everyday squirrels, only fox squirrels. Peter Cottontails are irking me now.

Billy, my BF has a 3 footed armadillo living under his house. It dug up the mother in law tongue during the drought. I suspect it was thristy getting a drink from that semi-succulent. When it lived under the hot tub, it had 4 feet. Billy tried to convince it to move out.

Even in Fla, here at my place, although the ground doesn't freeze, the lowest temp here this past winter was 12. Greenhouse got down to 25 and toasted a few tenders.

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3570803

I bought 'After Midnight' and I have 'Sundown' that I bought last year, as well as 'Twilight'.
Suzy, I was a very baaaad girl and went on a rare 'buying tour' there for an 1 1/2 last weekend. Have purchased many things from them in the past by mail and thought it a dream come true to see all of this in person. I saw so many tree peonies blooming, it was tough to walk away without buying one of each. 3 greenhouses full! 'Happy Days' is now on my list for next year, after seeing it bloom so beautifully there. The peony fields were out behind a stinky hog farm and they said were not tour-able, though I did drive by and take a peek (you know me, I HAD to). What a place and soooooo very organized and well maintained. Worth every penny!

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3572878

What part of Wisconsin is Song Sparrow in? We are in IA, right next door to WI.
Sharon
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3572965

Song Sparrow is a mail order only nursery, so this tour was a rare one. It is located in Avalon , Wisconsin, just outside of Janesville, Wi.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #3574869

I've seen Summer Sky all over locally. I have heard good things about Klehms.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3574947

So, as I reported on the other Coneflower thread, I went out today to scout Coneflowers and 3 good nurseries were completely sold out of all CFs from the weekend.

But found 'Bravado' at Home Depot in a Hines Growers plastic pot and also one called "Prairie Splendor", both pinky looking, and one other no-name white one. Bought them (on sale, of course) and planted them, so I will report when they bloom and if they survive. I don't think they are terribly special but we shall see... I remember now that I had 'sunrise' in our garden last year but gave it away because it was sulky--maybe not enough sunshine?

I planted the new aquisitions with a new pink yarrow and rose-colored Cleome, so we shall see how the combo turns out...

But I know they are already a success because within minutes of unloading the car, two swallowtail butterflies came up to check out what was going on...and those were just about the first ST BFs for the year for us!

I wish I could visit Song Sparrow! Their catalog of peonies is great! Located very close to where my inlaws have a lake house in Delavan, WI, but I never had a chance to check out Klehms. Lucky girl, you are!

I'll be off-line for a couple weeks on a trip to CA so I'll want a full report on CF bloom times when I get back!!
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2007

Post #3575958

I did get two pots of After Midnight today. I'm still not quite sure where I'm going to put them, but I came up with a really good question:

If I plant two different coneflowers next to each other, will I end up with a different flower next year?

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 9:46 PM
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3575960

Sorry, duplicate posting.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 9:47 PM
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3575989

I understand these coneflowers to be true from its own roots, not seeds. If you don't want different coneflowers next year, lop off them before they drop seeds.
Clementine
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3578262

Well, my potted up, wintersown purple echinaceas are all looking dead. And the ones I planted out are all still alive. Only a 'white swan' (ONE!!!) in a pot is alive.

I'll keep them for a while, perhaps something will come out of the roots (if they are still there, I am not going to dig to see). So sad.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3578724

The new coneflowers may or may not grow from seed - who knows? But like other hybrids, which I assume these are - they will not breed true. However a perennial plant will still be there the next year - just move any self sown seedlings to another spot till you see what they are when they bloom. My ordinary pink ones reseed vigorously. Usually I just weed them up if I don't have a new bed for them. But ! have never had luck growing any of them from a packet of seed.
Sharon
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #3578882

I went to a lecture at Olbrich Gardens last spring and they spoke of these coneflowers not being true from seed. Yes, you will get a coneflower, but no, you won't get the coneflower that you bought and the new seedlings may 'agressive' your cute orange ones out. By year three of letting it go to seed, the picture showed NONE of the original.
Coneflowers themselves, seem to ressed on their own. They are tricky to start from seed, which I find very interesting...
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3579599

Magnolia, it sounds like all of the seedlings that I get with After Midnight, and maybe razzamtazz should be pulled.

Maybe I'll just try to divide the originals at the end of the season then or early next spring. At least I don't have to worry that the different flowers will interact with each other.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #3579670

Yes you are correct about the seeds being untrue, for sure on the Terra Nova ones that I know are propagated vegatatively. I did try seeding some Pixie Meadowbright - just to see if they would even germinate. I thought I looked for seeds on Razz and didn't even find any.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3579692

Al,
Put your glasses on,,,
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #3588473

Well, yall, I told ya those home grown cones were thigh high, but I think I lied.

They are actually about rib high to me. I am just tickled they seem to like living here with me.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3590099

Molly, does your prairie coneflower stand up or does it flop over? The stem look kind of thin to me, but I really like the flower.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3590869

Unfortunately, Home Depot had coneflowers this morning when I stopped by. I don't recall seeing them there before. They had harvest moon, and sundown outside the garden center for eleven dollars and change. Inside, I found Summer Sky for under $8 each. Out of guilt, I had to buy several pots of Summer Sky.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3591303

Dang! That Summer Sky was one I wanted and the plants are sooooo much bigger than the little 3" pots you get from Parks (mail order)

I wonder if Indiana is on the same schedule as Virginia? Maybe I should call first.

Thanks for the heads up -- Al had said he was seeing Summer Sky locally, but they weren't at any of the places I checked.

Suzy

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3591825

Illoquin, I am quoting you from May 31:

"One of the ways to pick from the multitude of choices is to choose if you prefer the normal coneflowered down-angled petals or the petals that go out, like a regular daisy.

As it happens, I prefer the down-facing petals because I look across at my garden and having them all on the same plane makes them sort of disappear. The downfacing petals actually give me more flower to view. (I also look across from a seated position on my patio, but the same thing applies.)

If you typically are standing or walking as you view them from above, you would probably prefer the outfacing petals."

Now, I understand what you were talking about. Looking at After Midnight and my other coneflowers together, I can see how the flat petals of After Midnight can really only be appreciated when you are standing near them, and looking down. The drooping petals of the other coneflowers allow you to see the whole flower from long distances away. I really prefer the drooping petals more.

But I still like the color of After Midnight!

Good luck finding Summer Sky
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #3591852

Thanks -- I am all cleaned up and thinking about going to HD for Summer Sky as I type.

Glad the 'petal angle' post made sense. I'm not the best writer (or talker, either)

I had to look up 'After Midnight' because I am getting them all confused. Park Seed says it is only a foot tall (12" tall) and the photo does look like the petals angle downward. Is this the right photo and description of your plant? Maybe the petals will angle down after it's open for a while. (?) I grow relatively few of these, but the sunset coral ones have really stolen my heart.

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=49857&PrevMainPage=gatepage&scChannel=Gate%20internetonly&OfferCode=T1H

Suzy
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3591983

Penne

My Prairie coneflowers are pretty tall, between 3-4 feet. And they do tend to sway over a bit, but I have them planted out by my trellis walkway so they have some support from the bamboo and wire there.

Molly
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3592201

Suzy, I had to go out and look at my flower again. The petals are definitely flat. I'm attaching a picture.

It was just beginning to bloom when I bought it a few days ago. Perhaps, the petals aren't finished growing, and then they will begin to angle downward. The picture on the little information card does show a downward angle.

The card also says that it grows 15 - 22". One was probably just under two feet when I purchased it. The other is about one and a half, so it seems that Parks is off on the height. This is card identifies After Midnight as being from the Saul Brothers Big Sky Series.

Now that I am looking at it again, I bet that the petals aren't finished completely growing, and it will begin to get that classical droop that I love. I really like the black stem, and the darker color petals.

Thumbnail by pennefeather

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3592286

Oh, yeah, that's just a baby flower -- the cone isn't even up yet.

Interesting that the purchase card is so different from the Park's description -- I'm never sure about Park's. I've had good luck and bad luck with them.

I didn't get to HD; I decided Friday at rush hour wasn't the best time to go :)) But I'll look for 'After Midnight' when I go to see this color everyone is so crazy about...and the dark black stems.

MollyMc & Penne, It's interesting that you are noticing the stem diameter and supposedly strangth for the flowers to stand up. I have never had a coneflower flop, not ever. Not even the wild ones. (Once having said that, I have seen them floppy in other people's gardens, but it looks to me like they needed to be divided about 5 years ago. One stem flops and the plants are so congested that the others flop in a sort of chain reaction. ) I was wondering if you have had a different experience?

Suzy

Suzy
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3592891

Suzy,

The prairie coneflower is a cone of a different kind. The entire plant structure is different.

See it from the post above: Post #3515002

Molly
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3592980

Quite agree, pale purple and paradoxa are long and lanky - not really weak stems just long.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3593193

Ah, I got confused...I thought Penne was talking about your seedlings from post Post #3588473 -- but after re-reading, I see she was asking about that one toward the top of the thread.

Went to HD tonight -- nothing but dead plants and not a customer in the store. Their nursery & plant area is soooo sad. They have so many nearly dead hanging baskets for $29.99 and the saddest assortment of everything else for top dollar. Don't get me started on the Bellis.

Suzy
graceful_garden
Hahira, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3602686

Hi! Just had to share - I've been (patiently?) waiting to buy coneflowers locally - could not bring myself to pay $10.00 + shipping for a 3" pot from mailorder! FINALLY, our local Lowes got some in - they had Summer Sky & Sundown in quarts for under $8.00! So, I bought 5 - they are beautiful & very healthy looking! The buyer at our Lowes is WONDERFUL - she'll try to get in anything you want, and keeps up with trends & new cultivars! She was pretty much the first to start carrying perennials here - even the 'real' nurseries carried the "same ol' stuff" (YAWN!!) until about 2 years ago!!! I'm interested in Fragrant Angel, too, but want to know if everyone has had the same experience as bigcityal - about them not being more fragrant? Just beginning to get serious about gardening, and attracting bflies, so am gathering LOTS of info from you more experienced folks!! Thanks for being so eager to share! Samantha
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3608340

Here's the first bloom on Summer Sky. I love the color. It reminds me of mangos. Mangos remind me of pina coladas - Mmmmm!

Sorry, it isn't straight. The sun was beating down, and I had to lean over so that my shadow wasn't in the picture. Naturally, I had just finished watering the bed so the grass was wet, and I was trying to avoid that also.

You've got to find it Suzy.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 3:05 PM

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #3608389

I know! :)))) I have been all over looking for it, and it isn't in town yet, but two places have ordered it.

Thanks for the picture. When that flower gets older, let me know if the petals hang down or go out straight, would you please?

Suzy

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 10:02 PM
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 13, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3608938

That is a very pretty color, I think it would look nice with Blue Fortune agastache. I promised my brother he could have some of mine, and some orange daylilies.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3609377

mmm, pretty. I love blue with any of the peachy-oranges.
linuxogre
Lancaster, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3609736

Prairie Splendor - First cone to bloom in my garden.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 9:18 AM

Thumbnail by linuxogre

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 13, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3609892

I have a (dumb?) question. Can I move plants that have flower buds but no blooms? I want to relocate my Magnus and White Swans. (Common milkweed and switchgrass need to move too), thanks for the help!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #3609953

PGZ5 -- Take a look at the forecast. If the nights are in the 70s or 80s, you'll have more wilting and more trouble than if they are in the 60s. If your forecast is like ours, just wait until mid mnext week and I think you'll have better reults.

The Milkweed might be a goner because of the taproot. Depends on how long it's been growing. The longer it's been there in terms of seasons, the worse time it will have.

Either way, be sure to shade them every day...a big cardboard box is usually good.

Suzy
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 13, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3610531

Ah, the voice of experience. I tried to move my Russian Sage already and it wilted so bad, I ended up cutting most of it down. When/if it recovers, I'll move it when cool nights are forecast. Thanks suzy.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3610664

LOL! It's more the voice of the medical examiner/mortician. I have learned more from plants I've killed than just about anybody I know. I'm still learning, believe me; you just happen to have questions that I can answer, probably because you're also in the midwest and I know the plants you're talking about.

Suzy
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3610703

Isn't that how we all learn?? Experience with dead plants is a great teacher! LOL
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 13, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3610869

Kinda expensive lessons though, LOL!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #3611103

Ah, I've had many expensive lessons,,,
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 13, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3611265

lol
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3612768

I still look at this thread title and say - yes.

My paradoxa is almost open - one has fasciation

Thumbnail by bigcityal

PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 14, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3612792

Now That's crazy, LOL! :0)
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3612794

Oh,...that is soooooo pretty, bigcityal. : )
yotedog
Raleigh, NC

June 17, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3626226

I love Coneflowers of any kind--hybrid, native prairie, anything--but I, too, was disappointed with most of the 'Big Sky' series (Sundown, Sunset etc...). Though very healthy when I purchased them, mine did not adjust well to being out of the pot and never bloomed with such vivid colors again. Most did not make it over the winter--out of six, I lost three completely, two came up and are doing well, and one has come up very slowly and is quite small. I have to say, I agree with those who don't like the fact that the blooms on these hybrids seem to wash out quickly...

I also thought Coneflowers were "true" perennials...until I attended a local lecture and discovered that they really only live about 3 years. They do reseed themselves, but thats small consolation when you are in love with one of the hybrids such as the 'Big Sky' series...

Last, but not least, I have also read recently of several gardners who grow them in the shade. The key, they say, is to start them from seed or as very small, young plants IN THE SHADE. Not sure if this would work for more northern climates, but for eveyone with a reasonable length growing season, its worth a try. I've got some 'White Swan' in filtered light (under a Maple tree), and they are blooming...

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 2:48 PM
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
6:00 AM

Post #3628352

I just bought an After Midnight. I bought two early on and planted them in a large pot on my balcony. But we had killer winds which dried both out badly. I was hoping to be three to replace them, but could only afford one at this stage of the game. Hope the winds have settled down for the summer. And I can't wait to see them bloom.

Thumbnail by revclaus

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #3628518

Is that one of yours then? Nice, mine is getting close.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3628669

After Midnight is so pretty. I wish you luck with the replacements.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007

Post #3628676

Here are my new Sundowns. They are doing very well for new plants.

Thumbnail by makshi

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3628866

Those are pretty, Makshi! You can really see the pink interior and the peachy tips of the flowers in your photo. And the plants must have an iron constitution, because I *know* what you're weather is like now, and it ain't pretty!

Suzy
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3629189

Suzy you are right about the weather. We are on water restriction so we have been using fish tank water, and assorted other left over water.
PrairieGirlZ5
Thornton, IL

June 18, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #3629302

I like how your brick edging adds to the composition too.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3629369

Molly, I like coneflowers and want to get some of the other colors. Do you have any other than the pink?
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #3629411

That's not my After Midnight. That's what I HOPE they'll look like sometime this millenium! LOL Thanks for the well-wishes.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3629535

Yes, I have ben using "gray water" too, Makshi, even though we aren't restricted as much as you are.

Hey! I found the Summer Sky coneflower and it was $19.99!!! Are you peeps paying that kind of money for these things? Not sure I can part with a $20.00 bill for a conflower that may or may not fade to regular coneflower purple as it ages. I walked away from it, but they had 6 so I figure I can go back if you tell me it is absolutely worth it and theflowers fade to an attractibe color...a photo of the faded flowers would help.

Suzy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3629618

You know those plant ring supports one of you had in a picture early on? Another way to accomplish that same thing CHEAPER is to buy some of the little garden "fencing" that comes in sections and is connected. Disconnect and bend it in a circle and reattach to itself. I've had good luck with that at my previous house. I do not have enough here to worry about yet!
Pat
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3629997

I paid 6.95 for each of my sundown conflowers.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3630462

Hmm, where did you get them Makshi? I think I bought one for $16.95, but it was really large. I don't really need any more Sundaow, now I want Summer Sky. Errr I think it is Summer Sky, I am getting my seasons and times of day all confused ;)

Suzy
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #3630828

This arrived in the mail today:

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3630838

got it got it got it.

I did look at Summer Sky flowering at the store today($13) - gonna let it slide.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007

Post #3630841

And another page of for the coneheads. These are 2 1/2 inch pots, but, I have seen even higher prices. These folks are not the best mail order, but, they are OK.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3630856

I am really amazed at all the catalogs I get. Jung is in Wisconsin, Z5. My zipcode should be a clue to the clueless that I won't be buying their tulips or anything else from that far north. Oh well.

Wish the orchid growers were as catalog happy>

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3630872

Dale - I could drive there in an hour+ Never been to their store though, the plants I ordered from them were OK - less risky than Wayside at least.
I went to a seller in Madison that had all those plus a lot.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3631105

Randolph is a lot closer than Madison, hope Madison is cheaper. I grew up in Mpls. I shopped Bachman's.

I never trusted Wayside, too slick, too expensive. I get my Northern plants from VanBourgondien, they are flaky, but cheap. I got 100 coneflowers for $122 plus shipping from their wholesale catalog. Good sized plants (80%) Their photo showed pink, white, yellow and sunset colors, but, having done business with them for years I knew they would all be pink or white (and I was right). About 90 survived and grew. Not a bad deal.

PS BigCityAl (misnomer) you live in the sticks :-)

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #3631379

Possibly.

I was in Madison for the UMW Roundup. My main plant sellers are in Green Bay.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3631819

Suzy, keep trying Lowe's and Home Depot. I know that sometimes everything there is dead, but if you luck out on the day that plants arrive, you can get a really good buy. These are the largest coneflowers that I bought, and the least expensive. If they aren't conviniently located, then find out who is in charge of the nursery department, make friends, and keep following up by phone. Summer Sky was almost twice as much in my local nursery than it was at Home Depot.

By the way, After Midnight's cone has popped, but the petals still aren't angling downward as much as the other coneflowers. I still love the color, and the dark stem.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3638588

Here is After Midnight today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #3638590

Goldilocks rudbeckia

Thumbnail by bigcityal

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 21, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3638969

Both are really pretty
skimper
Greenwich, OH

June 21, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #3639005

Here is big sky sundown.

Thumbnail by skimper

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 21, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3639015

that's a nice one too
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3639027

Just a suggestion to all you coneheads, take two pictures when shooting your cones, the close up and then step back 10 feet. I am wondering what these plants look like, how tall, how much sun, what the rest of your garden looks like etc. Thanks.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3639031

Coneheads...(snicker) : )
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3639103

heeheeheehee
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3639437

No way! It's a secret.

I do take full shots when they are fuller.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3641910

Al, I love that Goldilocks Rudbeckia!!! Did you start it from seed? If so, where did the seed come from? The reason I ask is because I might aquire some in a swap or trade and I wondered if it would come true.

Here is Rudbeckia hirta 'Moreno' from commercial seed.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3641919

And here she is in the grden setting -- as you can see there are 3 plants and this is the first and only bloom of all three.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #3641929

And here is Rudbeckia hirta 'Chocolate Orange' from commercial seed.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
7:11 PM

Post #3641933

...and here in the landscape shot.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #3642055

Suzy, the yellow lilies and cornflower is a nice combo too. Neither plant grows well this far south.

camera is broken, no new photos
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #3642335

Suzy - even better - all my hirta's overwintered here. They were started form seed last year and they should be true. I will save some. Moreno looks nice.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3642339

Goldilocks rudbeckia is the one I want.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3643697

Thanks for posting both views. It helps to have the context. Your garden is beautiful!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2007
9:36 PM

Post #3646573

Here's a fuller shot for you Dale. Black Eyed Susans reseed wherever they want.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3646697

Al, That is a nice combo, I love it. I am gonna copy it. In someone's yard somewhere, sometime in the future. Do you know which hollyhock type that is?

The cone below was part of the 100 bareroot plants I got in Feb. Looks like one of those tropical brids that people buy.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3646712

And here it is in context.

I would point out that I always crouch down and move out from the edge of the bed to get as many of the plants in the shot as I can.

There was an 'article' on my home page (verizon/yahoo) about how to shoot pictures and the most common mistakes that people make. I learned a lot in my photography class. Here is the article if you have any interest.> http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/30397 and http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/hughes/12106

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3646725

Thanks Dale. I do have one mistake in that I keep forgetting to put a ring around the summer aster that flops there.

Doubledecker/Indicia doesn't always go double in it's first year so you must have gotten mature plants.

I will have to look for that hollyhocks name. It did flower from seed it's first year.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by bigcityal

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3646931

Rudbeckia fulgida fulgida is the only coneflower that returns as a true perennial and it will reseed itself here in this part of FL. I have other coneflowers, some live for awhile, but, never reseed. No winter chill.

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3647132

Dale, no wonder you take so many photos! I looked at the articles you cited. Very good. But I can't crouch down any more, so I miss a lot.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3647237

For me getting down is no problem, getting back up takes more time than it did 30 years ago.

A tip - focus your camera at eye level (framing the shot) and then hold the camera around knee level by bending over a little, try to point it in the same direction and angle as when you framed it, a challenge to do.

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3651324

Good idea, Dale. Sometimes I do that with scenery pics. First I look at the scene, then just point the camera without using the LCD screen, and they turn out great. The trick will be to get the camera down where it can do some good. I'll bet practice helps.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3651718

Practice, mistakes and new skill are all part of the process.

I have a short photo 'essay' that I took yesterday and posted here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/739026/

Not many cones in it tho.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3652002

Not many cones here> http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/739026/

Still a pleasant place to spend the afternoon with the camera.

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #3653851

Is it too early in the season to see seedlings coming up?

In several places, it seems like I am seeing very small seedlings. These would have to be from this year, because I didn't have coneflowers in this area last year.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3654651

bigcityal, What is the "tight" pink bloomed flower in your landscape? It is beautiful and would love to find some of that to plant!
Pat

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
2:36 AM

Post #3654703

Illoquin,
What is the tall blue flower in your landscape picture of June 21? It is beautiful!!

I keep telling myself to be patient. I have only been here 10 months and I have had to fill in pits, rake up white rock and pull up plastic. My funds have been very limited and I've been out of town a LOT to boot!! I will have a mature, full flower bed someday in the future! I'm just slowly trying to build it up from scatch. Seeing so many beautiful mature landscapes can be enjoyable and envy-making at the same time!! LOL... please keep posting those gorgeous pictures!
Pat
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3655007

Penne - I seeded a few new varieties I saved seed from to see how they turn out - those came up in about 2 weeks.

Pat - do you mean this? it's monarda

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
6:03 AM

Post #3655217

Pat, Those are Batchelor Buttons. Centaurea cyanus. These are probably Blue Boy or Blue Diadem...the ones that are 30-36" tall. I also grow the 12" ones and the prostrate ones. I wish there were a 18-24" cornflower blue one, but if there is, I can't find it.

They fall over (as you can sort of see in the photo) partly because they are top heavy, but also the finches (birds) land on the stems to get to the seeds and sort of pull them over.

I'm happy to save you seed & send it on if you're in the address exchange.

Suzy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3655537

Oh sorry that - I have a nice pic of the bachelor buttons. It reseeds there.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3656110

Illoquin & BigCityAl,
thanks to both of you. Al, I asked you about the bachelor buttons and Illoquin about the pink flowers. I thought they were bachelor buttons but they looked SO GOOD and generally I have seen them looking ragged and nasty.. LOL.. I guess the trick is having lots of other stuff around and in front of it to hide the plant so only the blooms show!

If you have some spare seeds for the bachelor buttons that would great! Thank you so much.

I'll have to look up the monarda, I am not familiar with it.
Pat
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3666859

Well here it is cone crazy people

Green Envy.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3667194

Al!!!! I love that!!!!!

ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3670877

I just got Kim's Knee High, I was looking at some of the others, but I'm not convinced they are hardy to zone 5b, and I refuse to pay $20. Even the rose I got in the gallon container was 11.50 (half off - it was discontinued)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3670996

What!? Why are yours $20 a pot?! I just came from the garden center and they seemed to be in the $14. range for 1 gallon new hybrids!...(Of course, I'm still too cheap for that price! I would never make it in NH!!) I did buy 2 big ruby stars(?) for $4 each, though.

So, here is my idea--purchase one plant each of all the new hybrids and then take cuttings now to make new ones for next year. Has anyone tried this? (Sorry, if I've already asked you!--I have a new book on propagation and its given me all kinds of ideas!)
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3671129

That's a good idea

I'm trying to root some of the other plants I bought - they had some stems that were broken. I didn't get to all of them - it was a little hot to be out today. I'll finish up tomorrow.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #3671160

Tabasco -- I think there is a single plant for each coneflower itself You have to look very closely). If you thoroughly wet the soil and the surrounding soil, I think you can just firmly tug on a flower (down low) and the whole bitty plant will come up, roots and all. As an alternate, you can take your gallon plant and look at it and see if you don't see about 5 little bitty plants at the base. You may or may not need knife. I think if you massage the soil ball, you will find they will come apart.

Surely that's not what youmean by stem cuttings, right? How would you do it? How does your book say to do it?

Suzy
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2007

Post #3671173

Oh, 'Green Envy' is beautiful, bigcityal. Uh-oh...another to add.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3671583

Has anyone's razzamatazz begun to bloom yet? I planted three in early spring - one has completely disappeared. The other two aren't growing very quickly. They don't look nearly as robust as my other echinacea. Even the ones that I started from seed have shown a lot more growth. These are the only ones not blooming.

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3671622

Mine is about 1/2 open. They have been very hardy for me.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3671716

Of course, I only know enough to be dangerous on this propagation topic, Illoquin! I meant I would cut secondary branches and stick them in rooting medium, soil, or something, depending on anyone's recommendation.

The lady at the garden center did say that there were some baby plants at the base of the main stems that I could separate if I were careful...I may try that after I have a gin & tonic (helps to steady my hand in these delicate surgeries!)

I guess I could read the fine print in the book. I just read title pages and captions for the photos! http://www.amazon.com/American-Horticultural-Society-Propagation-Plant/dp/0789441160/ref=pd_sim_b_1_img/002-5801446-6388008

I saw Razzmatazz open at the nursery, but I guess that doesn't count...
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3671727

I don't know how that would work - it certainly would be worth I shot. I would love to tour Terra Nova and see how they propagate plants vegatatively.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #3672345

Tabasco, Yeah, except Echinacea doesn't have secondary branches (as far as I've ever seen) It has basal leaves with a bare nekked stem that comes up with a bloom at the top. The stem has no leaves. If that stems throws roots, I'd be pretty surprised (even though I know it is supposed to be propagated that way) How many cone flowers have you ever had in a vase, and how many rooted?

Al, I've seen several tissue culture demonstrations and it is all very straightforward with the same steps. I went to the one in Michigan. The key is cleanliness and sterility. Beyond that, anybody can do it. Hahaha not quite. Each plant has a growth hormone and vitamins which are plant specific and I'm pretty sure you have a heck of a lot better percentage if you have those nutrients. I was even given some test tubes, fully sealed and ready to go, to take home and managed to contaminate them before I was able to decant them.

Suzy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 29, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3675013

Al,
I'm Green with Envy,,,ah,,,lol,,,couldn't help myself,,,I know,,,Geek. Really is a terrific flower though. I need to try some more Echinacea's, just need the room for them.

tabasco,
LOL @ the steady hands with the gin and tonic. I'm the same way.

Kelly
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3675554

Illoquin,

Went out to check on my Coneflowers to see if they had basal shoots or whatever--'prairie splendour' has basal shoots as does 'paradoxa'. My 'rubinstern' (ruby star) has side shoots, though, so maybe I could try some cuttings from that. I think 'ruby giant' has side shoots too.

White Flower Farm has a nice couple pages of Echinacea photos in their catalog. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-local/search.pl?text=echinacea&name.x=11&name.y=6 Any thoughts on that 'Tiki Torch'? I notice it has 'well-branched' stems too. Maybe something for our cuttings lab?

We had some nice rain last night. Now I need some good sunshine to make them bust out and grow!

A nice write-up on coneflowers from Paghat's Garden: http://www.paghat.com/echinacea2.html

This message was edited Jun 29, 2007 2:13 PM
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3677133

Wayside Gardens has some nice offerings too, but, the are very expensive at $10-15 for a 3 inch pot. I guess if you are a true Conehead and have money to spend, they are worthwhile to get for the collection.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&SearchText=echinacea&mainPage=textsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3677312

Not me. : ) I like coneflowers,...but not THAT much.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3677448

I am anxious to get Tiki Torch, hoping it is a better orange than the Big Sky ones. Garden Crossings sends much better plants for similar prices.
http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.main&alphaKey=D-F&whichName=genus&showIntro=0&hardinessZone=

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3677558

I ordered Tiki Torch this spring, but the supplier to the place I bought it from never sent the plants because they weren't ready. I went ahead an cancelled my orderbecause it would have been a 1 3/4" x 4" bullet liner for $27.95 including shipping and handling. I was expecting at least a gallon pot for that price, so you can imagine...

Suzy
macybee
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2007
5:34 AM

Post #3678213

Dale, I suppose you have already got rid of all those dump flowers. If not, this girl would love to have some too. I've always loved them but just this year purchased some. Crossing my fingers. Thanks.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2007
9:46 AM

Post #3678348

Macy Bee, Do not unwatch this thread.

In the fall when I change the beds I will be trading or giving away 50-60 coneflowers.

I will post a note here 1st. I want to make sure The Coneheads get them first. They are all just the common single pink or single white. I will be keeping the fancy ones.

I will be looking for unusual coleus (like Calligraphy or any coleus from the Singing Springs collection [they are no longer selling retail]) or unusual tropicals.
downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3681467

I bought Fatal Attraction from park whole sale growers site for $3.89 a few weeks ago.This was the only cone they had on this clearance site this year.The site is now closed down but it is a good idea to bookmark it. www.parkwholesalegrowers.com They usually put it up at the end of the Spring season.This year it was June.Last year I bought several cones and they are all doing well.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #3681779

Art's Pride(orange meadowbright)
I really am not overly critical of this flower - it is a bit thin is about all. I lost Mango Meadowbright which was a bit better.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3681785

Primadonna White is really nice. Have not seen it locally this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
1:41 PM

Post #3681787

Pixie Meadowbright is a super little plant.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #3681888

I love Art's Pride. That calls for an addition to my collection next year!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3682740

I was out digging a little runaway purslane seedling and I smelled a lovely faint fragrance. I looked up and around to figure out what it was.

The closest plant to me was the large pink "no name" coneflowers so I stuck my nose in there and by golly it was them. It smelled so lovely.

I didn't know...
gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3683080

Suposed to be sundown, does it look right?

Thumbnail by gldandrews

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3683139

Looks right to me.
ctindell
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3683450

I bought my first coneflowers this year. I love them.

Thumbnail by ctindell

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3683458

That's beautiful, ctindell. : )
~Lucy

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007

Post #3698359

Confessed Conehead here. I ordered this Summer Sky, plus several others from Crownsville Nursery and they all doing great! Sorry about my photos. I am just learning to use digital camera!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3698367

Another, this is Harvest Moon

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #3698384

this was labeled Green Eyes, but I'm thinking maybe Kim's Knee high.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 11:31 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3698424

I'm not convinced that Tiki Torch will be that different. I have Sunrise, Sundown, Sunset, After Midnight, Twilight, Summer Sky, Harvest Moon, Fragrant Angel, White Swan, Rubinstern and the Green Eyes/Kim's Knee High.

Would like to get a Primmadonna and one of the really tall purples for the back of the border. I just can't make up my mind which one!!!!!

A tip for finding plants is to find out what day they recieve plants at the particular store. The Lowes in Avon Indiana gets the on thursday.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 11:41 AM
ctindell
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3699361

Nanny, Is Fragrant Angel really fragrant. If so, What is the fragrance like?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3699455

Chicken?LOL

Ill catch up with some more.
Sunrise - still one of the better new ones.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #3699466

I can say that's not Green Eyes from that photo. My Green Eyes flower stays very flat and is darker purple.

Razzmatazz

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007

Post #3699470

Poor flower on Primadonna Rose right now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

esw
Haydenville, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #3699474

Big city al - sorry to butt in but, I think you still have mango meadwobrite...
I have both and both have survived so far...Here is the Orange meadowbrite next to the Mango (not the best shot) The Orange is just about my favorite echinacea (i like the skinny droopy ones).
Sue

Thumbnail by esw

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3699496

Very nice Sue. You are right, my other one I thought was also Art's Pride bloomed and is clearly darker and thinner than the other one which is Mango Meadowbright.

Art's Pride.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2007
8:47 PM

Post #3699505

Took a while to find Green Eyes.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
8:52 PM

Post #3699535

I've been NOT watching this thread because initially, I didn't like coneflowers. It's not a color I like, they look a little weedy before they make buds, and I really don't like the down drooping petals thing. No birds ever ate our leftover cones either. But I think I'm ready now, either to wintersow some next year or buy some or trade or whatever. Which are the most reliably short coneflowers? Pixies Knee-hi? Or is that Kim's Knee-Hi? Meadowbrite? I just have an extremely limited amount of space. I'll have to rip out the old boring down drooping enormous one. Please advise, oh ye holy coneheads!

xxx, Carrie
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007

Post #3700054

Carrie, what changed your mind?? The lovely colors?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3700502

ctindell, well I just went and stuck my nose in Fragrant Angel and I don't smell a thing. Hmmm...

Al, thanks! I didn't think it was, if only because the eyes are not green!! lol!!

Carrie, be careful...lol!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
11:46 PM

Post #3700676

Carriel-- I have to say, I've just been converted into the coneflower camp, too. I think when I read and witnessed how attracted the butterflies were to them--that was my 'epiphany'! Before that, strictly rudbeckias in my garden!

What I found initially off-putting was the weird (to me) acid pink color with the orange seed center (what's that called?) and the fact that they are ubiquitous in every August garden in Ohio. But now I've grown accustomed to their color and, in fact, I'm buying all the different pinkish ones! (There's no accounting for taste, is there?!) LOL

Today I purchased more Ruby Giants and Ruby Star (Rubinstern). I already have a few other pinks and some of the Saul hybrids. They are all on sale at our garden centers starting today, so by week's end, I may report a few more!

I wish I could grow 'Ruby Giant' from seed. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Love all the pics of the Coneflowers here. With all the Echinacea plant material posted on DG we should be on the lookout for some new fancy strains to introduce from our gardens!

Thanks for posting all the pics and the good info!

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #3700723

Carrie,

Good for you!!!!!!! Joining the coneheads :^)))) I would say that Kim's Knee High should be small enough for you. About dwarf in size and a reliable bloomer. My Kim's bloomed, rested, and now is back blooming again.

Anyone here know? That cold spell the seeds need...is 12 degrees for 4 hours cold enough>

Molly

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #3701981

Rev,

Mostly the hybrids with non-drooping petals and the fact that they come in more than one size!

x, C
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
10:53 AM

Post #3702020

Molly - you mean cold stratifying? I believe it's at least a month below freezing.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #3702322

Hi all you conehead experts! I have a question about pruning older flowers to keep the plant blooming. How long or often can I do this and still keep the plant strong and have some heads left for the birds in the fall? Ok here is the dumb question- When I cut off older blooms will the "cone "still have seeds in it if I let them dry?
There are so many wonderful photos of individual plants and gardens in this thread.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3702389

"Sundown' has to be one of my favorites. A heavy bloomer and cute as ever. It looks especially wonderful with one of my peach colored lilies called 'Tiger Babies'.

Thumbnail by magnolialover

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3702391

Here's another 'Sundown' picture.

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
1:23 PM

Post #3702403

'Summer Sky' blooming here. This is my first year with this one, the coloration is nice, but I always save my judgement for year two. Pretty.

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3702431

Have been very pleased with "Sunrise', I like it better than 'Harvest Moon' and for me it is a much stronger grower, which is quick to make me partial toward it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007

Post #3702926

So pretty, Mag. But I'm with Dale - what do they look like in context?

xxx, Carrie

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3703572

My Summer Sky... I have nepeta Walker's Low planted next this grouping which includes Harvest Moon & Twilight.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 2:16 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3704357

I have a wider shot with some of the ones I've posted recently.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3704391

Al,

Is that hardwood mulch I see in your beds?

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3705682

It is Dale. I probably would have preferred bare soil for the echies to winter better, but it's in a high profile area. I should be able to keep the layer of mulch pretty thin in the future though.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
11:15 AM

Post #3706199

Do they not like mulch?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2007

Post #3708431

They don't mind it. Winter wetness is their enemy and if it traps in wetness than maybe it's not so good - in theory. I usually have a light covering.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3708518

I checked Fragrant Angel again and it smells like White Swan - a honey scent, maybe just a little stronger.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007

Post #3715981

New one today - Hope.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #3716020

I love 'Hope'. Lovely, bigcityal.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3716314

That one is really pretty, bigcityal. : )
~Lucy
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3716534

I will admit it...I don't really like Coneflowers (don't shoot rocks at me everyone *lol*) but I THINK I may have one coming up in my garden somehow. I have been racking my brain over and over wondering how it got there as I don't remember planting it.

The only 2 Coneflowers I like are Razzmatazz and the Doppleganger.

I think it was 2 years ago I wintersowed some of the Doppleganger seeds but assumed none of them made it as I didn't have any last year. I ALMOST pulled this as a weed but then I didn't recognize what kind of weed it was so I left it there.

Can all you Coneflower experts give me some advice as to whether or not you think this is a Coneflower? If so, does it look like it could be the Doppleganger? I have no idea how this got in my flower bed otherwise as I don't have Coneflowers in my bed at all...love how mother nature works...amazes me daily :)

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3716540

Closeup of the leaves:

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3716567

Kim,

I can only say, that it certainly looks like a coneflower. I couldn't say as to which hybrid though. The bloom would be more telling.

Molly
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3716964

LOL well, I hope you show us a pic when it blooms!

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3717035

Certainly will :)
I sure hope it's pretty *lol*
Learned a valuable lesson this year...DO NOT weed! :)

Here's a shot of another "weed" I almost pulled *lol*

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3717431

Don't feel bad about not liking them Kim, I have plenty of plants I don't like too.

You should be able to tell the difference between Doppleganger and Razz from a flower - although Doppleganger wouldn't be double this year.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
11:46 AM

Post #3722649

Al, I like 'Hope'. Here's 'Sunset'. Not excited about it so far. the color is nice

Thumbnail by grampapa

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3723001

BigcityAl,
Why would you have flowers you do NOT like? Because they make good contrast? or???? If I don't like it, I don't keep it!!! Well... I guess that is not quite true. When we moved here there were 2 plants I do not like but since my husband does like those 2, I would not remove them. Also, since I'm starting from scratch, I figured I needed all the plants I could get!
Pat
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3724504

LOL

Well, sometimes you have to 'grow 'em to know 'em' and it takes a while to decide you really don't like them!! Don't you think?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3724567

More or less. I don't thinnk I have any coneflowers I hate, just ones that if they die I won't replace. I guess those would be the opposite of plants you keep buying even though they die.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3724720

Er, how could one get rid of them if one decided one really didn't like them? Don't they have an enormous tap root?

xxx, Carrie
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #3724849

Well, I don't have a problem getting rid of them. They just die on me!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3725087

I'll update a few pics - here is Ruby Giant well opened.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007

Post #3725091

Lot of flowers on Pixie Meadowbright.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3725098

Fatal Attraction still had the darkest magenta this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #3725102

Certainly the color Twilight is supposed to be, small flower right now though.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3725124

bigcityal, those are all so lovely. : ) I demand you dig all of those up and ship them to me. Pronto! lol

One day, I hope mine get as pretty as yours. : )
~Lucy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 11, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #3725441

All look great Al
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3725917

Thanks.

Lucy - mine have been moved now about every year already. I have my biggest challenge yet - to leave them alone and let them get bigger.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3725932

'Twilight' is one of my garden favorites. It really has a different color in my yard than the other orangish ones. I'd have to disagree on 'Sundown', I have three plants and they all look wonderful. The form is consistent. I think from purples, to yellows to whites, they all fade when they are on their way out. I clip them off and they keep coming.
'Green Envy' is one I can't wait to get!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3726010

Harvest Moon

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3726036

Ah, Nanny, I must say that Harvest Moon is my very favorite of them all, and that is a very pretty Harvest Moon!

Suzy
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
9:34 AM

Post #3726756

I still have to say that Razzmatazz and Doppleganger are my 2 favorites and that trying to find Razzmatazz seeds of either is next to impossible so I won't have them in my garden for a while :( The one that IS growing in the garden really hasn't changed much the past couple of days but we have been getting alot of rain. Once the sun comes out I'm sure things in the garden will "move along"

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #3727083

Thanks, Suzy! I wasn't real sure about it when I ordered it, but am really happy with it! It and Fragrant Angel have been blooming non-stop.

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3727824

I know what you mean, Nanny. I bought 'Sunrise' this year and I didn't like it when it bloomed. Then I saw a photo from Magnolialover http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3702431 and I thought, "Hey, mine doesn't look like that!". Sure enough, a few flowers later and that's what mine looked like, so now I am a happy camper.

Suzy

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3728501

My Sunrise hasn't looked that good yet, but I guess there's hope!!!! I'ts been a little slow on reblooming. But it took a hard hit during one of our storms last month.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3728634

Hold on guys, that 'Sunrise' will be good for you. I just adore it.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3728708

Nanny - that is a good Harvest Moon.

Sunrise is very good - I have no complaints with it.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3728788

Hey Mags - I took a new full shot of Green Envy. The flowers get that rose tone as they develop then turn back to all green again later.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3728828

Bigcity, I'm just hoping to get that one in the garden, sooner than later. Did you get yours at Schroeders? Really, really gorgeous. (Have I confessed yet to be a cone crazy?) Your coneflowers are wonderful, bigcity.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2007

Post #3728850

Hey Al, did I read somewhere that Ruby Giant is your fave? or what is your fave?
Kim, don't feel bad about not liking echies. For a while I didn't like them either. Kept dying while attempting to grow them from seeds or kept rotting at the base when I bought plants.

I finally got my hand on some good White Swans and I'm back in love. I have a noid, white swan, Kim's Knee high and a peach one but I can never remember its name.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007

Post #3728852

Thanks

No, the echies from Terra Nova were really scarce around here this year. I got that one and a few other new ones to come from Garden Crossings - good sized plants at average prices.

You know I picked up one from The Flower Factory that doesn't exist(Spinning Top), Terry thought they might have made the name up there.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007

Post #3728855

Voss - I do think Ruby Giant is the benchmark straight purple nowadays. I think my favorite is still Fatal Attraction because of the form and color.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007

Post #3728859

I'll call Nancy and ask her, bigcity. I've never known them to make up names there. Hmmmmmmm.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #3728894

Terry couldn't find any info on it. It is supposed to be a double, but is single right now(and tall) - usually they don't get double until the second year.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3730312

I really do need to get Fatal Attraction!! I really like the ones with more red in them!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3744679

I have a few coming up in strange places - I must have thought it was a good idea at the time. One of these days I'll get around to taking some pictures, and you guys can tell me what I have, lol.

xxx, Carrie
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3744760

Bigcityal,

Do you have both "After Midnight" and "Raspberry Tart"? If so, how alike are they? The 'After Midnight" that I've seen looks like it has larger flowers than 'R. Tart"? I've got R. Tart but I'm intrigued with 'After Midnight' if it really is that dark and has larger flowers. My Tart is doing fine. The first flower wasn't that great but it's held for a couple of weeks and now I've got several open. These later blooms are more raspberry than the first one was, but the plant and flowers are still a nice compact size.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3744795

Yes, so far After Midnght is only average dark I will say. This year Primadonna Rose has been the biggest dark one I have. Rasberry Tart is small and certainly more a magenta color. I'll get some new pics for you tomorrow.

Ruby Giant had some guests today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2007

Post #3751733

Had completely forgotten I had this beauty. Got if from Badseed's Gemini Gardens

Thumbnail by vossner

Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #3757592

I ended up getting several new varieties this year... Goldilocks, which is really full and is doing well, a pale lemon yellow one which surprisingly is blooming like crazy, orange meadowbrite, the double decker one (which of course didn't double yet this year), another white swan, and a green wizard. I thought that would be a little showier, but the one "bloom" on it isn't really that exciting yet :o) I must be patient! So yes, in answer to the thread, I have been cone crazy this year! Something I never thought I would do!
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2007
12:05 PM

Post #3758044

I can't say that I am a "conehead" yet...*lol* but I sure do LOVE the looks of some of the pictures you have all posted!
I would LOVE to try Razzmatazz, Pink Double Delight, Green Eyes, Green Envy and Doppleganger someday so as you can see, my list is slowly growing...I could be easily addicted *lol*
I have enjoyed everyones pictures so much and at first didn't think I like Coneflowers but I'm beginning to see the beauty in them (thanks to Al *lol*).
Here is an updated picture of the one I must have winter sown 2 years ago. Not familiar with the foliage, I ALMOST pulled it as a weed and have watched it daily since it put buds on.
What do you think Al?

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3758592

I was put out w/ them because growing from seed had beern 100% failure. But I've since changed my mind. And true, this thread can make a convert out of anyone.

Kim I really like yours w/ the spindle like petals. Do you still have it? Is is multiplying? It is really nice.
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #3758647

Well thank you VERY much. Yes, I just took that picture this morning so it is JUST starting out. It' looks like there may be 3-4 flowers. IF I get any seeds from it, you are more than welcome try some. I will probably try to winter sow some more this winter as hubby is digging me a new bed this weekend :)
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3760250

Kim - can't tell from that pic, once it's fully open post it again.

They are nice plants, like most plants though there will be some disappointments along the line.

Red Admiral on Hope.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3762036

Al, I spoke with one of the Flower Factory Folks, and they assure me 'Spinning Top' is NOT their own hybid and that most of the coneflowers they have, come from Darwin and the Netherlands. I may be able to get more info, if I do, I'll post it here ;)
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3762338

Thanks. It's always hard researching echinacea because of all the herbal sites that clutter it.

Here is Spinning Top today, my tallest echinacea I have.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3762345

Vossner,

Is that last one you posted as little and cute as it looks? I have so little space... can't buy anymore sleep, creep, leap perennials.

xxx, Carrie
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2007

Post #3762357

Al, I like that tall echie. Also, I had forgotten I had purchased Mars until started blooming the other day. I bought it from Badseed's nursery, Gemini Garden.

Carrie, I would describe it as a medium sized, with flowers 2.5" in diameter. Speaking of little ones, I sure would like a little bitty one too.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3763858

Hello, I posted this in the propagation forum. But have had no response and the Magnus are looking worse by the day.

"The gophers got my cone flowers. I need some advice on an attempt to save them. There is a few little nubs of roots left. I plan on cutting the plant way back. What I'm wondering is if I can mar the stem, apply rooting hormone and plant deeper, covering the stem with soil as well. I hope this makes sense."

Do echies have crowns or can they produce roots along their stems like a tomato?
Any ideas to save would be much appreciated. They are still rather expensive for me to purchase locally and would really like to save these if possible.

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3765114

I was so blessed to have a DD who gave me some conflowers for my BD this spring. Here is the view from our back porch.

Thumbnail by buckimom

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3765127

Here is the same bed as you come around the corner from the south side of our house. I have no idea what the names are but I am so thrilled they have done so well.

Thumbnail by buckimom

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3765337

Those are really pretty and healthy, buckimom. Looks good. : )
~Lucy

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3765874

Cocoa - all I've heard is they have a big tap root and are hard to move. I'm sure others will have a better idea.

xxx, Carrie

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #3766015

Cocoa, they have a crown. A lot of the new hybrids do not like to be moved around alot.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3766114

I checked on them this morning and they appear to have given up :(..."tap root and crown" good thing to know, I will file that in my brain for future reference. Thank you both for your replies.
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2007

Post #3766834

I got a Kim's Mophead last year and love it. Will it come true from seed?
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2007

Post #3774518

I wanted to post a picture here just to let everyone know that in my garden the various coneflowers are real butterfly magnets. They seem to be favoring the original echinacea magnus, but I have seen them on white swan, summer sky, kim's knees, kim;s mophead and after midnight as well. I am going to post some pictures on the butterfly section - nothing elaborate, so don't get too excited. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007

Post #3774520

Wow. A butterfly was feasting on 'ruby giant' (?) today.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3774530

Cross posting on the same thread on the same topic!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007
8:41 PM

Post #3774539

Whoops - sorry. Here's another.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3774553

My lovely daughter shooting with the macro lens on the film camera.

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3775017

Ok, Ok, Ok!!! I finally gave in and bought two more coneflowers yesterday. I got Sunset and Harvest Moon. I have no idea where they're going to be planted, but after following this thread for so long..it must be your fault;-)
If confession is good for the soul, then I need to get over to the Heuchera forum, too! Ahhhh!
bev
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3775063

Here is an updated picture of mine today. Not quite sure what I think of it yet.

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #3775071

Carrie,

Great minds think alike!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2007

Post #3775313

Indeed, they do!

xxx, C
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3775594

I've never met a coneflower, I didn't like. : )

~Lucy
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2007

Post #3782371

Hey Al, ck out this tall echie I found yesterday. I keep forgetting the name but I will come back and edit the post later. Isn't that fab? I need to find a shortie and plant it in front tall one. wouldn't that be cute?

Thumbnail by vossner

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3783323

Flower says pallida, but not the leaves.

I stopped in to my best perennial place today for the last time ths year - most likely.

They had got Coconut Lime and all perennials were 35% off - so home it came for $8.50

Thumbnail by bigcityal

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #3783371

Boy, I need a nursery like that around here!!
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3783400

Al, which nursery? She is a beauty! - Colleen
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3783413

Schroeder's in Green Bay. They weren't as good for coneflowers this year, but still better than the rest.
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3783431

I have never been to any Green Bay Nurseries. Hey it is POURING HERE!!! Yay! How about in Menasha?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3783443

That one and Mayflower on the west side are worth stops. No rain yet, we have had some in the last day.
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2007

Post #3783455

Thank you Al, and I will try to get up there next spring when I do my big plant shopping. We had a little rain yesterday too, but it has been so dry here, we need every drop we can get.
macybee
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3783561

I would like to ship you some of our rain!!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3784063

bigcityal... That Coconut Lime is pretty. The yellow one next to it...do you know what the name of that one is? I have one like it.
~Lucy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3784178

Thanks. That is a rudbeckia of my own creation apparently. Crosses of Goldilocks and Black Eyed Susan, I am saving seeds from it.

Slow rain here tonight.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3784199

Kind of a Black Eyed Goldilock : )
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3784205

Hey! Patent pending.LOL I also have some cosmos of my own making too.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #3784222

Here's mine. Recently planted.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3784247

Looks like Indian Summer
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54127/
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
3:37 AM

Post #3784395

Sounds good to me. : ) It didn't have a name tag.
~Lucy
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
12:30 PM

Post #3785006

Al, (and any of you other experienced coneflower growers)

This is an updated picture of my one and only coneflower.
In your opinion, does this look like Doppleganger in it's first year of bloom? I have read that it takes a year before it doubles but can't decide if this is it or not.

What do you think?

Thank you so much!

Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #3785052

Just a lurker here, my walk between the garage and house is a 'cone-head' haven! These have been spreading for about 15 years if they are in the way I pull them out, there are always more coming on. The birds do love the seed heads.

Tried planting a white one last year but had nicotiana sysvestri planted in the same area and it was overwhelmed by the nicotiana! You all have tempted me to find some of the yellow/orange cone flowers. I simply love them.

Thanks for letting me but in. Thank you for all the lovely pictures!! What an addiction.

Joy

Thumbnail by Joyous

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3785838

Oh Joy, your coneflowers are so pretty. I hope mine spread. : )

~Lucy
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #3786145

Kim, I like that coneflower just as it is!

Joyous, What a fantastic setting -- everything is so...so, JOYOUS! It really is very inviting.

Suzy

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3786175

Joy,

All they all the same kind? 15 years ago I had never heard of coneflowers. I had heard of Yarrow and Arabis and salvia and THAT'S IT! Can't even imagine that innocence or naiveté now!

xx, Carrie
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3786382

joy...lovely lovely...why aren't you over in the cottage gardening area showing your lovely yard...we need you there!!!
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3786451

Thanks all...I am so obsessed by gardening this year! I am usually tired of it by 1st of July. Yet this year I am still going strong!

Sticks, I have posted a couple there over the winter will go now and "show off" a little.

It makes me giggle to have the nice comments, you can't see the weeds that I can so I feel a little guilty!

Another view.

Thumbnail by Joyous

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3786455

Joyous, all of us have weeds. Beautiful garden.
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3786540

grin!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3786972

LOL... Joy,...Even your weeds look good. : )
~Lucy
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3787000

Very scenic Joy.

Kim - Can't really say. You might get a flower somewhere during the year where it would be double or at least start to double that you could tell it's Doppleganger from - otherwise it's still a waiting game.
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3787014

Oh, OK Al...there are 3 more flowers to open...maybe one will be sporting a "crown" (fingers crossed)
:)
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3787225

Al, does Razzmatazz look "right" the first year or will I have to wait for the second year. I found the plants in my garden - I had been concerned before that they weren't going to make it. I'm still waiting for buds to form though.
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3787445

can i ask a beginner question? when can i take the seed pod thing off the stem to harvest seeds?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3787492

Razz blooms the first year - maybe not a lot of flowers.

Ideally you want to wait until the seedheads fully brown to harvest. Then they need a couple months in the freezer to chill.
kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #3787628

I would LOVE to have a razzmatazz someday. I have been admiring it on google over and over again. I am just learning about coneflowers and I think that is my absolute favorite (although I TRULY loved Al's with the green eyes. That picture really captivated me :)...thanks Al).

I am going to watch the next 3 flowers closely and if one doubles I'll post a pic.

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3787892

If I ever get some blooms on my razzamatazz, I will post the pictures. By then, this should be one of the longest threads ever.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3788527

I love all the pics of the coneflowers. I am a bit disappointed that my Double Decker is only a regular one.
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #3789790

Hi! Here's a picture of my Ruby Giant. It's in a raised bed that's about 15" tall, so it looks like it's taller than I am.

Thumbnail by susybell

susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3789837

I think a while back someone asked about the difference between Ruby Giant and Magnus. I unwittingly bought both last year and planted them next to each other. I figured Ruby Giant would be a darker color, and not that it was an improved, larger "Magnus". I also thought they would get more sun than they do in this spot, so they both lean a little. I bought a 1 gallon "Magnus" and a 4" Ruby Giant last year, and here they are together this year. Ruby Giant is on the right.

Thumbnail by susybell

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3790520

Susy,

I can barely tell them apart - and my first guess was that Magnus was on the right! I don't know what the moral is...

x, C
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3790799

Hi Carrie,

I think that "Magnus" is a couple of inches shorter and it's been a little slower to bloom. Ruby Giant's flowers might be a little larger, as well. But, I was definitely a little bit disappointed that they looked so much the same. I want to add "After Midnight" for more variety.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #3791363

Susie, I thought that ruby giant's flowers were supposed to be significantly larger. I was just thinking today that I should look for one.
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2007
6:52 AM

Post #3791600

Hmm.. I can let you know next week sometime when Magnus is a little further along. It is a little hard to compare right now.

Course, it's also possible that my plant was mis-tagged...it wasn't blooming when I bought it...I'll watch them this week and let you know.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2007 12:05 AM

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #3792078

Susybell, I have After midnight and love the color, even DH commented on how pretty it is. But, it is a dwarf one so needs to be down in front. I missed that part when I ordered it and had to change my grouping I had planned!!

I still need to get a Magnus! I can't believe I don't have one yet!!! lol

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2007
6:39 PM

Post #3793172

After Midnight is dwarf? Velly intellesting... I found that whichever one of the Big Sky types I thought I had killed or misplaced is in a holding pot with Monarda CambridgeView Scarlet.

On the other hand. in my extremely limited experience, these guys get taller every year.

xxx,
Carrie
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3798207

Hi, again, coneheads!

Just re-found this thread! Was obsessed over at the annuals forum with zinnias and now I see I have lots of pretty coneflower pics to catch up with!

Joyous--your walkway is splendid! I bet it puts you in a happy mood, and the butterflies, too! And, penne, would love to see more of your plant combinations! You have a wonderful color scheme going there! Can I find more on the cottage garden forum ? (you know I your beautiful pics with the butterflies, too)

Makes me want to go out and scout the end of season sales for more coneflowers and surely blow my plant budget! which brings me to my next question--

----about using rooting homones to start echie cuttings-- has anyone tried propagation from cuttings this summer? I am dying to give it a go but don't have the skills or confidence to do it.

Also, does anyone know off hand who supplies the best echinacea seed? I have found seeds listed on the internet for these named strains: 'bravado', 'primadonna rose', 'bright star'. (Is 'magnus' available by seed?) Then there are the prairie wildflowers available by seed such as pallida, fulgida and some of the others...but right now these are a bit too natural for my garden spaces. (I would love to have one of those 'natural gardens' that are so popular now,though.)

So please tell--do you have any advice on success with seed sowing echinaceas? Or cuttings?

Thanks. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3798264

I'll have Magnus seed for you in about 3 weeks or so, Judy. I also have some Liatris you were looking for in the butterfly thread and the Golden Alexander (Latin name starts with a Z) seeds for you. 25 seeds of each as I recall.

Suzy
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3798455

Here is Prairie Giant, tag says it grows 40" tall.

Thumbnail by vossner

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3798779

I've never ordered Coneflowers before but have really gone Cone Crazy getting started. :) I just ordered these for fall. Any opinions on them are welcome.

Harvest Moon
Hope
Jade
Raspberry Tart
Summer Sky
Sunrise

I really want to find Fatal Attraction...is it a good one to get? It seems I read that it's an improved After Midnight. Is the color very similar to Raspberry Tart that I ordered?

This message was edited Jul 30, 2007 8:29 PM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3798865

It sounds like several on the thread grow E. 'fatal attraction' and love it.

This write-up makes me want to grow it, too... http://www.plantspotters.com/renderer.do/menuId/55173/clearState/true/sf/55173/returnPage/55173/itemId/10336/realItemId/10336/pageId/55174/instanceId/55251/pId/10312/

It looks like a number of plant catalogs list it including Plants Delight and even Home Depot.
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3799014

Thanks, Tabasco. I think we do need that Fatal Attraction. I haven't looked in my local Home Depot. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have it. I noticed Roots and Rhizomes has it for mail order but am not familiar with them...according to Garden Watchdog, their feedback isn't very positive. Let me know if you find a good place to order...I'll keep looking, too.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3799067

Well, I saw that Smith & Hawken's carries it, but I prefer to buy locally if it's at all possible. Then of course I want my plants to be 'on sale' too!...

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3799080

Oh yes, of course, on sale. :)
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3799336

tab - I'm a bit behind on this thead. Yes I still love Fatal Attraction. My butterflies(Monarch's and Red Admirals) have fed the most on:
Magnus,Ruby Giant,Primadonna Rose and Hope in that order.

I planted some seeds I saved last year from Pixie Meadowbright and Primadonna White, I don't know how true they will be, but here is what they look like today(seeded 5/1)

Thumbnail by bigcityal

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #3799345

Rose - After Midnight came out after Fatal Attraction. For me FA has been a darker magenta color. Rasberry Tart is a small flower, but very bright rasberry color. Love Hope. Love Sunrise. Love Jade, but mine is still listed as in critical condition. Harvest Moon fades to look like Sunrise pretty fast and is not as reliable. Summer Sky I saw blooming a lot in stores and it looks like a faded Sundown or Twilightish so I think I can skip that one.

if I missed anything please let me know.

Al
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #3799384

I am no expert, but Harvest Moon is my favorite of all of them...unfortunately they butterflies don't seem to see it.

Suzy
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #3800734

Al, where did you get your Fatal Attraction? I'm still on the hunt for it. It's too hot to ship now but maybe someone will have it available for fall?

Karen
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3800747

Al, it's all YOUR fault that I have had 'Green Envy' in my brain and can't get it out. No fair, this thread ;0)
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3801365

Not everything is my fault - unless you have proof ;)

Suzy - I'm not an expert - just opinionated - I'm glad Your HM is nice.

Karen - I think I got Fatal Attraction from Wayside last spring - wouldn't recommend that. I have seen it local since then. Garden Crossing is one of the better echie sellers online.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3801470

Well, this would be the proof then, wouldn't it?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3728788
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #3801477

Yes, I'd say that is proof, Mags. LOL! The defendent is found GUILTY!

Suzy
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3801489

Thanks, Suzy. I needed support from a fellow peony hound and coneflower addict ;)
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3801499

*snicker, snicker* LOL
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #3801583

Al, GC is where my other coneflowers are coming from...they don't have FA. Maybe they'll get it though...wouldn't hurt to ask.

LOL, you guys are worse enablers than rose and clematis addicts...now I need and have to have, Green Envy! :)
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
6:25 PM

Post #3801635

For those of you that haven't seen this beauty, let me refresh your memory...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3728788
I get my enabling trait from the lily forum. You don't want to go there, especially with ordering season upon us. Just don't do it. (Remember, you were warned)
(heeheeheehee)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3802062

Al. me says you've been "nailed". thou are guilty.
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3802082

magnoilia...when you say the ordering season is upon us...i have never done fall planting...will we get a 4 inch plant and essentially it will
not bloom until the spring? is that correct?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3802125

I think that ordering season, particularly with lilies would be bulbs, you plant in the fall and work on cultivating your patience to wait to see the blooms in the spring.

Molly
:^)))))
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3802162

Here is the bloom on my Harvest Moon.I just love the color of this one.Sundown is behind it.I really like the color of that too.
Nancy

Thumbnail by cedarnest

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #3802165

Your honor - that's just one case.LOL
Didn't Flower Factory have Green Envy or Fatal Attraction? maybe early next year.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007

Post #3802208

Not Green Envy, the Flower Factory does not. Maybe next... year, yeah, yeah. Who can wait that long?? I think with coneflowers I get me 'right now' fix, yes with my lilies I must plant in the fall, constantly drool over the pictures all winter and spring, then, yes, summer comes and the dream is realized. So, it is a balancing act and the coneflowers lose. They must be in my garden blooming the day Al posts them.
So Al...weren't you leaving for vacation soon??? Lol!
(p.s.the lily bulbs do best planted in the fall or early spring. It's a lot different than say, a 4 inch pot of plant that needs to be established before winter here.)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #3802219

MollyMc -- Yes and no. Unfortunately wih refrigeration, the lily bulbs are available both fall & SPRING! :)

Suzy
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3802386

illoquin...what do you mean both fall and spring and refrigeration?
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3802495

stick_n_stones, I think Suzy means sometimes they (vendors) put fall dug bulbs in the fridge at a certain temperatures through the winter in order to bring them out and sell them in spring.
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3802560

allrighty...thank you for the translation...:)
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3802614

You're very welcome ;) (I hope you didn't mind that Suzy)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3802635

Mags, hate to burst your bubble, but Marie and I visited a friend of mine in the twin cities and we went with her to Bachmans and I purchased 2 "Green Envy" echinacea for $4.00 each. What a bargain.

Maxine
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3802857

You would have to tell me that, wouldn't you now, Maxine. What a bargain!
I'm beginning to think you guys are just here to give ME green envy about 'Green Envy'. Well, I am envious,alright.
rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3803867

Magnolia, I have thought about venturing over to the lily forum and I know you give good advice. I need to stay away or there will be no money for anything else...like food for DH.

I put myself on the waiting list at GC for Green Envy...it's a definite must have.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2007
10:19 AM

Post #3804156

Well Mags, I would say we are even, as you have some lilies that I covet!!

Maxine
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
12:52 PM

Post #3804494

Maxine, you covet quietly, while I roar.
rosethyme, wonder on over to the lily forum sometime, I don't blame you for wanting to save money for food ;) But, so you know,there live a lot of enablers over there, but it's one of the kindest bunches of people around.
Once in a while Jungs will get some late surprises, but, if they do, it won't be $4, you can bet on that. 'Green Envy' looks to be quite the unique coneflower and it is gonna drive me nuts until I get it. It could be a long winter...
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3805938

I love Echinacea 'All that Jazz'. Its a deep pink conefower with fluted leaves. I love the play with words... This flower is new this year, and is breeded by hybridizer Kevin Hurd at Walters Gardens, Inc.

Thumbnail by Christabelle

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #3805941

Here's another shoot

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3805954

Another one of my favorites is Echinacea 'Pink Double Delight'. It looks just like 'Razzamatazz', but is shorter and doesn't flop like 'Razzamatazz', its more compact.

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3805969

I agree with linuxogre, Echinacea 'Prairie Splender' also makes my favorites list. Its best feature is the fact that it can start blooming up to 2 weeks early than other Echinaceas and also has an extended flowering period into fall. I love long blooming perennials!

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3805995

My favorite white Echinacea is 'Virgin'. This plant is selected by the grower, breeder and landscape designer Piet Oudolf out of the Netherlands. I love his landscape designs, so I know his breeding has got to be spectacular! Its got a great flowering performance, the the flowers of fragrant. One of my favorite features about this plant is that it doesn't require staking!

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3806029

And here is the last one I'm going to mention of my favorites (of course there is so many more, I guess I am cone crazy!) Echinacea 'Crazy Pink' Its the first one of a new series from the Saul Brothers (they're other series of course being Sundown, Sunset, After Midnight, etc.)
Crazy Pink is called crazy because its a crazy bloomer. At a year old the plant can have 100 blooms! Its slightly fragrant and stays compact in a pot. I can't wait to see what else is coming up in this collection!

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #3806194

Well holy cow Christa - do you have some connection with Walters Gardens? I haven't seen or heard of any of those. Most excellent. I have seen a fluted shaped one from Jmorth's collection. Piet Uodolf works with Plantspotters , is that one of theirs?
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3806653

Walters is my family's buisness :0) I'm getting excited about our new perennials list that came out with our new catalog. Good observation!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #3806667

I recognized the town.LOL

actually I have heard of Pink Double Delight to clarify.

Say - I'm waiting for Garden Crossings to get Tiki Torch - nudge nudge
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 1, 2007

Post #3806864

My cousin used to be co owner as well as working at Walters Gardens, but stepped down from the company just a little while ago . But I'll still pass the word along!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #3806879

OK, Christabelle! Now that the cat's out of the bag and we know you're with Walter's you're going to have to give us all a tour when we get up there!! LOL (I'm getting in my car now.) LOL In any case, please keep posting about your perennials. We appreciate good information and we will even let you post photos! (Your pics are wonderful) (-:

I just went out to five garden center/nurseries today to look for coneflowers--now that I'm learning so much about them! Found all the usual suspects, but no 'Fatal Attraction'! Saw 'green envy' for $5. or less at Greenfield Plant Farm. I'm so glad I purchased a few Prairie Splendours earlier this summer. I wanted an early bloomer Echie, so now I already have one!

I hadn't heard of Oudulf's 'Virgin', either, and I was just on the Plantspotters website...'Virgin' is very pretty along with all the others you posted. BTW your website "Perennial Resources" is very interesting, too. I liked the article about monochromatic colors and the photos especially. No coneflowers in the collage, though!

Al, did you know Christobelle was with Walter's because of the Zeeland address?

Let's see some more pics, everybody! I'm addicted!

p.s. saw some spectacular Zinnias, too, today. And rudbeckias, at the nurseries---and thought of all of you! t.

rosethyme
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #3806908

Yes, we need Tiki Torch. And that Virgin is to die for! I went to Lowe's and Home Depot today just to see if they had any Coneflowers. They don't even name them...just labeled purple coneflower! Lowe's had a bunch of Magnus. I felt guilty not rescuing a couple because the pots were so dried out. :(
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3807053

Christabelle,
Your pictures are beautiful. I especially like Virgin and Crazy Pink. When can we expect to see these in the nurseries for common people. Or can you ship them to us early for reviewing purposes?! :)

I'll take three of everything!!!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3807125

tab - yes it seemed a bit familiar. I have been pretty close to there - St. Joseph

here's one I haven't posted yet because I kept hoping the flowers would get better - Prairie Frost. It is more of a foliage one.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3807154

that one I would REALLY like to have, ho-hum blooms notwithstanding
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3807168

they look short but uniform in PF
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/83268/
I have Sparkler too, but will hopefully it will strengthen before winter.LOL
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3807172

LOL, pennefeather, "I'll take three of everything!!!"

~Lucy
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3807297

You guys are killing me with your great 'Green Envy' deals. I might have to move. Lol!
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3807317

Magnolia, that doesn't mean you're...no, I won't say it!...I'll resist...must resist... ;)
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #3807394

Lucy,

Should I ask for more? :)
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3807406

penne,

Yes,...lol : ) So you can share with me. ; )
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3807491

Christabelle,
Lovely pics.
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #3807740

I was so excited to get some new coneflowers this year. I believe this is Goldilocks?

Thumbnail by Garden4ever

Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3807747

White Swan

Thumbnail by Garden4ever

Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3807758

And the last one I am not sure what it is called... its a pale lemon yellow. My favorite so far.

Thumbnail by Garden4ever

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3807874

These are supposed to be White Swan, but I don't think so. They petals seem to flat and short to me. The photos are bad , but any guesses???

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
2:42 AM

Post #3807881

Here's another

Thumbnail by nanny_56

bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3807920

Colleen - I think you might have Maya and Sunrise there.

Nanny - I can't really tell from those pics - sorry.
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #3808045

Which one is Maya? I think sunrise is right... but then I am wrong about a light orange one I have with thin petals! I should have planted them with their tags... I figured I would remember... but I should know me by now... my memory is terrible! - But they are all well and healthy and I am hoping for a prolific reseeding next year!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3808079

Your rudbeckia, could be Goldilocks - I never got a big eye on mine though.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/121781/
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #3808178

Thanks Al!
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:03 AM

Post #3808387

Coneflower diner.

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:05 AM

Post #3808391

Sea of Cones

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:44 AM

Post #3808430

Red Admirals

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:48 AM

Post #3808436

Spoon flowered sport

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:51 AM

Post #3808440

Pale Purple Coneflower - Echinacea pallida

Thumbnail by jmorth

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
6:58 AM

Post #3808450

Echinaceas crowned

Thumbnail by jmorth

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2007
12:23 PM

Post #3808788

nanny--did you grow your 'White Swan' from seed? Just wondering if it's a case of the hybrid not coming true...

garden4ever--your 'goldilocks' is unusual and pretty.

cedarnest--I wonder---is your 'Harvest Moon' more golden than most? The ones I saw at the nurseries yesterday were not so beautiful as yours!

tprj, interesting. saw your classified ads, too. FYI, it's not the custom to sell products on the DG threads but to keep merchandising to the classifieds or private. Good luck with your enterprise.

I wish I had more coneflowers blooming. Mine are suffering from the heat or are hidden among the tall milkweeds. Do they get taller their second/third years? If not, I must move them around a bit.

Happy gardening. t.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3808825

Jmorth -- Quite gorgeous sport!! What was it a sport of?

Suzy

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #3809148

No, I ordered these from Bluestone. I got the wrong butterfly bush too. I really like the color of the one they sent, but I ordered Blue Nanho which is small and the one I got is going to be bigger I think, so won't work in the space I put it in.

I'll try tyo get a better pic!!! Those are REALLY BAD!!!!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2007 10:20 AM
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3810359

My self sown purple coneflowers are amazing me with their variability. They start out a very pale green, like green envy, then turn a bright magenta, eventually aging to pink and pale pink. They sometimes have thin spindly down facing petals, sometimes robust dish like arrangements, etc.
I have been able to select my rudbeckias for the deep browns and weird shaped petals by just cutting off the ones that I am not fond of before they go to seed.
Maybe I will try a little selection of favorites with the coneflowers too.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #3810592

caitlin,
Those sound really pretty.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #3810753

I keep thinking "this thread is too long - we should start a new one", but I like this old one, so forget I said anything. Christa, when you say "Virgin' doesn't need staking, are you saying it's strong or short. Why do the fragrant ones always seem to be white, or am i wrong about that?

we have huge tall coneflowers in the back - no idea what name - and ordinary old ones in the front plus another one that I can't identify but I like. Once I get these computers straightened out I'll try to take a pic.

xx, Carrie
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3810791

No way - we have to get to 5,000 views first. I actually did lobby for a coneflower forum last year, but it didn't get much support.

I saw that guy's selling post - didn't think that would stay long ;)
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2007

Post #3810848

For anyone interested in northern Virginia, Merrifields has plenty of coneflowers. I spotted coco lime, sundown, after midnight, Christabelle's pink double delight, summer sky, sunrise, magnus, Kim's knee, Kim's mophead, white swan, and ruby giant. There were probably more than that, but I can't remember them all.

I was able to compare ruby giant and magnus. Ruby didn't look any taller than magnus, but the flowers were much larger.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007

Post #3810850

carrie, I was just thinking how many here are cone crazy...looky, looky. Seems like there is enough diversity among coneflowers to warrant a forum. This thread has been a whole lot of fun, don't you think so??
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #3810867

Here was the thread
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621704/
certainly a lot of other plants have gotten forums since then.
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 3, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3811251

I would love to give you a tour of our facilities! Come stop by anytime. Our display gardens are at their peak right now, they're looking beautiful!

In answer to your question about Virgin, it is supposedly both short and strong, that's why it doesn't need staking. But I don't want to promise that because in my experience some years Echinaceas that supposedly don't need staking does! Maybe it depends on the weather. It also does seem like white Echinaceas are fragrant. I would guess it has something to do with the breeding, in the past better varieties that have come out of new hybrids seem to lack in fragrant. Now breeders are trying to bring the fragrance back.

I'm going to post to the forum now, great suggestion.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3811329

Al, I supported the lobby for a forum!!! I would have become a paying member rght then if they had!!! I am trying out a 2 month trial to see if I get enough out it to pay for a full year.
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3811819

The more I hear I don't think that I actually have Ruby Giant. It's 6" taller than my Magnus, bloomed sooner, is a good grower, but the flowers just aren't really any bigger but the color is the same. Oh well...

I saw Pink Double Delight today! That is one cute coneflower! The flowers are the same size as coconut lime but they're a really good pink. Basically they look exactly like Coconut Lime in pink (or is it really the other way around?) The ones I saw were in gallon sized pots. The plants were probably 14-18in tall (didn't have a tape measure with me, lol)
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2007
7:24 AM

Post #3812381

Illoquin,
The echinacea sport came from a garden planted for my mother 13 years ago. The plot was sown with Purple Coneflower seeds I think from the Northrup King seed co. About 5 years ago I noted the aberration and transplanted the sport (divided into 3 plants) into my garden where it now grows with some other, regular Echinaceas.
J

Thumbnail by jmorth

tprjohn1
Monson, MA

August 3, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3812519

I think my favorite so far, and i have just about everyone sold is echinacea "green envy" along with another new variety, called "Elton's Knight". They are expensive, but well worth the money. I am posting a picture of a "green envy" blossoming in my yard right now.

Thumbnail by tprjohn1

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3812655

Hey, folks. I feel like I'm missing out on something. I can't find Flower Factory in Watchdog. Is is a local place?

finally got a nice bloom on 'Twilight'

Thumbnail by grampapa

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #3812834

Yeah, the Flower Factory is probably the largest retailer of plants in the midwest, as far as number of varieties of plants. It's in rural Stoughton, Wi. They don't mail order, but people from all over the place make trips to this place, I've seen them there buying hundreds upon hundreds of dollars worth of plants. People from Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota,Illinois,Missouri. It's a neat place in the country, with nice gardens and ponds, showcasing their plants.
Maybe this is more than you wanted to know, grampapa.
Stop it with those great shots of 'Green Envy' why don't you? Lol!
If only the Flower Factory had that one right now, I'd buzz on over...
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 3, 2007
2:45 PM

Post #3813168

I just visited the Flower Factory 2 months ago and even though I heard how fantastic it was being it still beat my expectations! It was well worth the trip out there.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3813279

Sometimes the close proximity to my house is too convenient.
Christa, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Are your gardens open for visiting?
Garden4ever
Plymouth, WI
(Zone 8b)

August 3, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3813302

Okay, now I want to go to the Flower Factory - Only 113 miles from my house, lol! On my list for spring next year.

Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 3, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3813338

Yes, our gardens are open to the public. Come explore through them whenever you like!
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007

Post #3813348

Thank you, Christabelle. It sounds beautiful.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3813470

I could answer this question with a map, but since I am sooooo
lazy I will just ask it here: How far is Stoughton Wi from Prairie du Chien? We are right across the river in Ia.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2007
4:23 PM

Post #3813542

It's approximately 112 miles and should take you a little over two hours to get there. :)
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3814034

Thanks, Ticker. Toooooo far...Think I'll just let my fingers do the walking this time of the year...
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #3815674

Garden Crossings has all of their in-stock echies $2 off this week-end...in case anyone's interested
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3816437

Al, I spoke with Dave today , from the Flower Factory. Their son snagged me as I walked by at the Farmers Market. As it turns out 'Spinning Top' is their own cultivar, from about 6 years ago, before the coneflower breeding went hog wild. He also said, because of the many, many cone varieties they carry, they may not be able to carry it for much longer. The reason? They don't keep this cultivar separated, so it is subject to open pollination, which, with all they have out there now, could definitely impact the seed. Hope that clears up the mystery.
I see they have 'Coconut Lime' there still available, and they had 'Green Envy' early in the season. How was I to know that one would turn out so cute? Well, now they are all out.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #3816690

That answers things - thanks. Not sure why they would care about the seed though.

Here it is today with some weedy green thing in back of it ;) It is fairly distictive in form.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3816694

I'm gonna have a conebed like that when I grow up.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3816807

Al,Finally got more photos of my 'White Swan' hope these are better and you can tell me if they are or not.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3816814

Another

Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #3816818

Last one...if not I will try again

Thumbnail by nanny_56

kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2007
4:48 PM

Post #3816987

I am going to give these guys 1 more year but my first impression...SOMETHING likes them too much in my garden and it's not Japanese Beetles. There are black moths all over it most of the time and some kind or beetle that seems to always be in 2's piggybacked *lol*

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3817219

Uh-oh. I bought 'Coconut Lime' today. What a cute little bugger.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #3819632

If there were a forum, would one thread be about fragrant cones and another about pale colored cones and another about coneflower garden enemies? It seems like the world is "cone-crazy" - will it be this way next year?

xxx, Carrie
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #3820405

Kim - your black moth looks like a skipper(butterfly) not sure what else is eating them.

Nanny - yes you are a bit off yet. Sometimes my camera washes out/together bright colors. I took a photo of Primadonna White today and edited a version of it to show how you can improve photos that way. The edited version in on the right ;)

Thumbnail by bigcityal

buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3820411

I hope this is not hijacking this thread, but I am so glad to have the coneflowers that I inherited from my DD because of their beauty and because of the bees. I heard a garden expert on a Dayton radio station answer a call in about the lack of bees this summer. He said "Look at the landscaping in your neighborhood, how many flowers are in that landscaping? Probably about 80% of homes just landscape with shrubs and trees only" He said, if you want to see bees plant coneflowers and other bee friendly flowers. Boy was he right. Yippee.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #3820432

No doubt bumbles and honey bees love coneflowers. Nice beds for them also. I have bees everywhere.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2007

Post #3821821

I'm trying to figure all this editing stuff out!!! More to this than I thought!!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3822729

My Sweet Husband knows I'm a chicken about bees, wasps and other flying things. He can NOT figure out why I would purposefully grow plants that I know will attract bees! I frequent this thread but do not have any pictures to add ;-( . Maybe next year I'll be a little more on the ball. I got hooked on coneflowers with the first common ol' purple ones and have been amazed at the all the variety available now!

Thank you all for posting your beautiful flowers. It's been pleasure to lurk on your thread and view your amazing flowers!
Pat
cedarnest
Northeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3823818

Oh My Goodness...Check out what Dave gave us today! Looks like all the lobbying pain off : )) A coneflowers forum!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/757072/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3823843

Bees are beneficial and necessary. Wasps are another story, they can sting repeatedly and, I venture to say, maliciously. But bees? Naaah.

xxx, Carrie
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3824324

Wasps are beneficial and necessary too. The vast majority of wasps don't sting people anyway. Lots of wasps are pollinators. Here's a blurb from wikipedia:

"Wasps are critically important in natural biocontrol. Almost every pest insect species has a wasp species that is a predator or parasite upon it. Parasitic wasps are also increasingly used in agricultural pest control as they have little impact on crops. Wasps also constitute an important part of the food chain."

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3824639

Anyway, I surely tried to go 'cone crazy', if winter sowing hundreds of Echinaceas counts. Some of them are ready to bloom this year. I didn't think they would.

Thumbnail by claypa

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3824655

Here's a White Swan trying to fight its way through the Cosmos. I think I'll cut the Cosmos back, again.

Thumbnail by claypa

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #3825192

Clay,

didn't mean to come down so hard on wasps, it's just that last year my husband sustained approx. 150 wasp stings in a single incident! The stings hurt, itch, etc, for as long as two weeks! The same wasp can, for instance, get stuck under your shirt and bite you over and over again...

x, C

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3825337

OK, racing fans. This is clearly a coneflower. It's about 18" high. It's new to me. I probably planted it; it's just what I wanted. But I'd like to know the name... WHAT IS IT?

xxx, Carrie
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #3828403

Wow -- so many coneflowers so little time ... here are some of mine ... some magnus with rudbeckia cherokee sunset and achillea ...

Thumbnail by crockny

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #3828408

I think this is Sundown (or Sunset?) not sure of the difference ... I love the color -- it's my new favorite!

Thumbnail by crockny

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #3828416

Here my Sunrise with butterfly ... I love the color on this too ...

Thumbnail by crockny

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007

Post #3828421

I have lots of Magnus and it self-seeds readily -- love it ...

Thumbnail by crockny

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #3828422

Very popular with the butterflies ... the more the better!

Thumbnail by crockny

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2007

Post #3828427

Meant to say in my first photo -- the Magnus is not really blooming yet ... that's the Sundown or Sunset showing ...
dpoitras
Upstate, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3831762

I bought a summer sky last night!!! Wha Hoo!! I do love cone flowers!!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3835272

Yep, and I bought a Green Envy and it came in the mail today. One huge plant!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get it planted and watch it grow.

Molly
buckimom
Piqua, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
7:14 AM

Post #3835507

Dear MollyMc,
If you don't mind me asking where did you get your "Green Envy" from?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2007
9:46 AM

Post #3835580

Here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/753619/

Molly

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3837065

OH MY!!! I never really saw what the big deal was about "Green Envy" until I checked your link! THAT IS GORGEOUS!!! Boy oh boy, do I want one of those!
Pat
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3837119

Does that mean you're Green with Envy?

Suzy

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #3837299

LOL suzy!

If I can figure out how to do it with this *n*e*w* computer, and I manage to download one of the pix I took of it, could someone ID my mystery coneflower for me? Or do we now have a coneflower forum and that's where I should go?

x, C
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 9, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #3837318

All this talk about Green Envy is making me add it to my list. It's a gorgeous flower.

Al,
I might just become a cone head yet,,,

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3837410

here's the humble picture - I have a feeling I did this already once... Anyway, this gem is about 18" high. Can anyone guess at an ID?

thanks, Carrie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #3837419

Ah - I did post a request for ID but WITHOUT a picture - very useful...
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3837781

can i squeeze in another question about cones...
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3837843

sure

Carri - Can you refresh my memory - did you buy that or seed it? There are a few options, but I won't answer until that.
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3837941

my coneflowers center still haven't turned brown...i was wanting them to seed...but in the mean time it is my understanding that if i cut them off i may get more blooms on the current plants...; so, is it a tradeoff...seeds or more blooms??
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3838099

Yes - to a degree. I have seen slow reblooming from deadheading. I usually gamble and collect them at the end of the year, the gamble being that sometimes the heads don't ripen or they are smaller then.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3839655

carrie--Intersesting ID question---so where did you buy your nameless coneflower?

How tall? And is this the first year growing in your garden?

If I had to guess I would say 'Ruby Star' ('rubenstern' in some catalogs), 'Ruby Giant' or 'Magnus'?

Do any of those names sound familiar?
Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

August 10, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3839724

Carrie, the dark stem makes me guess your cone flower is 'Fatal Attraction'.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3839811

'fatal attraction'...sounds good...

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/06754.html
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3839831

So far I have only seen the darker stems on Fatal Attraction and After Midnight. The flower shape is not right for FA though.
Here's mine today.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3841586

Thanks everyone. I think I bought it last fall from someone (?) on eBay; it was not a seed. (Last year I thought I couldn't grow things from seeds.) After reading this thread, ALL the names sound familiar, lol. But I have the ordinary droopy coneflowers already, so I would have bought this with an eye towards a shorter stature, and non-droopy petals. I remember the guy from whom I bought them (there were more than one then!) added another, different one as a bonus, but it didn't fit into my plan so I traded it away. I'm voting for Fatal Attraction; I'm not much good after midnight myself, so why would i want a flower that has more fun than I do?
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #3842147

OK I can go with your reasoning!!

Are you going to try sowing Echies from seed next season?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007

Post #3842164

Sure, why not? Now that I know I can do it via wintersowing. But they have to be small ones. But if they come up with "Needs a Nap After Lunch" or "Sleepy By Seven" instead of all this "Fancy" and "Midnight" and even "sun" up or down or set. Maybe "Not-After-Sunset" from Saul, lol.

xxx, Carrie
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #3846544

Carrie, that looks like After Midnight to me as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think that this is one you can grow from seeds. It seems that most of the new hybrids are sterile. I am hoping that they spread and grow quickly, because I would like to have more without shelling out more money.

I did see some seeds recently for ruby star at Jungseeds. I was surprised to see these because I thought that you could only find magnus, and white swan at most places.

That reminds me, didn't someone plant some seed from a hybrid that they bought off of Ebay or maybe from a friend. Just wondering if the seeds came true or reverted back to the parents. I have no idea where the post was - we didn't have a coneflower forum then!
It may have been in the first couple hundred post of this thread. (LOL)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3846593

LOL well, who knows, those names are so enticing they might be the next 'hot' flower for the garden!

I noticed that Jelittos offers 'Ruby Star', 'Bright Star', 'Magnus' and several other echinacea seeds.

I have never ordered from them but if I can figure out how to work the website I might...I think they may be the main distributors for most of the seed of the european strains/hybrid echinaceas.

https://www.jelitto.com/haupt_en.html

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3861461

tabasco, really interesting site. You do get around! I don't think I could make it up to their minimum order of 25 euros, but if you do order, will you get some for me please? (Baby swan white) (I hope you accept dollars...)

xxx, C
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3861749

Maybe I will call Jelitto and see what's going on. They are right here (sort of) in Louisville and I only know about them because I read about them in the paper.

If I order from them I will see what I can do about getting some White Swan.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3863374

Thank you. Baby White Swan. What is the hard part?

xx, C
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
5:22 PM

Post #3863845

OK, BABY white swan. I'll keep that in mind! LOL

The hard part about Jelitto's site? Well, getting the minimum seeds together. Figuring out how many Euros makes the minimum. The way the website functions is awkward...LOL the graphics are amateurish (or is that that they are european/german graphics?) LOL, the print is too small. the photos are sort of hit or miss. they omit prices here and there.

I don't know...I just don't like Jelitto's set-up even though I think they probably have some of the best seeds. Some of these seed and plant sites have great arrangement, graphics, information and use-ability. Others are kind of awkward. I think that the fact that a big, old and esteemed company like Jelitto has so few user notes in Watchdog might say something, too.

Anyway, if I can think up enough seeds to buy from them, I will let you know and we can add in 'Baby White Swan' and some of the others!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2007
8:12 PM

Post #3864634

I go to the index and look for plants I've heard of, LOL. The first arrangement by color was rather off-putting, I found. And for me, it didn't always go back one page when I hit back - don't know quite why. But some nice, new seeds I haven't heard of, which was nice!

xx, C
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3901821

Okay Carrie, I am dizzy with the play on words now and need some clarification. Do you mean "Baby" White Swan, or a White Swan baby? I have some White Swan's but too old now to be called baby's.

Aside from the time it takes for this thread to load, even for "Ultra Lite" access, seems like this thread may be dying a seasonal death. I only say this because when I walk out to look at my cones, they have all turned black and gone to seed. Would that be the case with all yall?

Before I do anything else, like cleaning up all the dead heads, I need a question answered.

I am in Zone 8b, where the ground never freezes but some of the nights in the winter can get down to 12, warming to 40-50's in the daytime with clear blue skies and sunshine all winter.

Will these cones self seed if I just take them and drop them in a barren area that I want to fill? Or must I vacate my refrigerator to store the gazillion in there for some indeterminate amount of time?

I'm sure you have figured out by now that I am a firm believer of self/free sowing perennials and annuals.

I won't neaten up my conebeds til I hear from yall.

Molly

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3903934

Molly, I think most everyone has moved to the coneflower forum and are posting there!!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2007
9:36 AM

Post #3904643

Ahhhhh, and here I thought I was abandoned...maybe I was.

See ya there!

Molly
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #3912237

I wonder if Terry would move this thread to the coneflower forum? It has so much good info in it, it seems a shame not to move it...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3917877

here, here!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #3919456

I have asked Terry to move the thread and hope she will. I also started a new Coneflower Crazy thread over there in that forum. The old thread takes a while for me to load and I have UltraLite internet service.

See yall over there!!!

Molly
AngelG1111
Frisco, TX

February 6, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #4500749

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 9:12 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2008

Post #4504072

I didn't go cone crazy last year, but I might this year. But only if my wacky neighbor will stop spraying roundup on my flowers along our common fenceline (Sigh...I seriously thought I had just lost my green thumb for perennials until his ex-wife told me what he's been doing for the past several years. Guess it's the gardener's version of 'Gaslight', eh?)
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #4504101

Awwwww Terry, that's terrible!

Can I send you a coneflower or two when the weather warms and we see what forgives my existence?

Molly

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #4504112

Thanks, Molly! I do have some - I'm going to see if they reappear this spring. (The guy is a little nutsy to say the least ;o)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008

Post #4505102

Oh Terry, you gotta work on that neighbor ! Is he anti flowers? Maybe an extra seedling as a gift in the spring? xxx , Carrie

PeeperKeeper
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4505611

Okay, that's just weird, Terry. What's up with that neighbor? Is there some long standing feud, or is he just nuts?
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #4505631

I have a customer who has a feud with her neighbor. He sprays ? over the fence and kills her grass and damages a hydrangea. He even went to her mom's grave and killed plants there. She's too big of a chicken to fight back.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4505646

His garden was featured on HGTV a few years ago, if that tells you anything. He has a lovely garden, with a very mature landscaping, although he doesn't have much in the way of flowers.

When he installed this low vinyl "picket" style fence between our properties several years ago, he and I talked about putting perennial beds on our respective sides of it. I did, he didn't. It's a longstanding weirdness on his side of the fence (literally and figuratively.) We've never quite figured it out, and probably never will ;o)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4505674

Ahhh, I probably shouldn't have mentioned this rather awkward situation, since he's not here to defend himself (as far as I know.)

But I have my eye on a collection of the newer Echinaceas...I'm just loathe to fork over $60-plus dollars for five plants if they're going to get chemically defoliated. I'm really tempted to buy one of those motion-activated sprinklers and set it up out there. (He's gotta be spraying at night, or when he knows I'm not around...otherwise I would have caught on sooner.)
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #4505682

Even if you don't run him off, maybe the water will rinse off the plants or dilute.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #4505732

3gardeners, exactly. In fact, I wouldn't set it up to spray his side of the fence, I only want it to counteract the effects of whatever he's spraying, if I'm not around to rinse them off myself.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4505741

The power company (a small local cooperative) came onto my property last year and sprayed foliage under the power lines, all along the frontage and 300 feet up the side.

They killed plants without concern as to what they were, flowers, food etc. This year I shall have that electric gate installed and they will have to call me to get in. Needless to say I will tell them what they can do with their herbicides.

gggrrrrrrr

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #4506889

Well this isn't about coneflowers any more. Do we all need electric gates and 15ft privacy pesticide-proof fences. Lord, I hope not! Molly, did they get your cones?
x, Carrie
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4507549

I could go on and on about neighbors and the dogs they are walking...but I won't. I'm tired of the subject and there's nothing I can do about it.

SO...Is there a possiblilty of a cone flower co-op. I'd jump right in!

I love the colors, but sadly, they only seem to reach mediocrity in my care. They only get all afternoon sun or all morning sun. The only all day sun is the side yard where all the neighbors let their dogs poop. Is lack of sun my problem?

P.S. We were in a hundred year drought and temps were 105 for over a week this year.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2008
10:26 AM

Post #4585216

3gardeners, Did you see the Coneflowers in the Perennial Coop Fairy1004 is doing in the Coop forum?

Then there are some bigger plants in the Classified Ads by Ella/Starlight. She doesn't say it, but the proceeds are going to a charity she works with in Alabama. (Older/retired gardeners helping disadvantaged youth with an eye toward scholarships.)

Suzy
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #4585845

Last I looked, there weren't going to be any coneflowers, but she was still trying to work them in. I took the thread off my "watch" list. I'll check it out again. I'll also check out Starlight. Thanks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #4585956

Suzy (or anybody) do you know how tall "Hope" gets?

x, Carrie
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #4593461

Average I would say, 30"

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4593684

Thanks, Al, but you just SAW them somewhere, or do you OWN them?

x, Carrie
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #4593697

I have it, I recommend it for the big pinker flowers.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #4593848

Oh, do you? I value your oijnipn! That was meant to say opinion! I'm looking for cones that aren't quite so tall with respect to me (in my wheelchair). I felt dwarfed by our coneflowers last year. in fact, I was ready to tear them all up!

x, Carrie
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4608408

Carrie,

Why don't you try the dwarf coneflowers: kim's knees high, and kims mophead. Knee high is pink (typical mangus color), and mophead is white. I have both in my garden . There have been some previous discussions regarding the height. For some people they have grown taller than expected, but they should still be shorter than magnus.

There is also a new baby swan that I am growing this year from seed for the first time, so I don't have a lot of information on that one. I think that some of the newer hybrids are also shorter than magnus. After midnight isn't as tall as magnus.

This is a picture of knee high, purple fountain grass, cordyline, black eyed susans, red salvia, and gazania.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2008

Post #4608684

Very pretty! I wanted to try baby swan - somehow didn't get around to it this year (from seed). I also wanted to try pixie meadowbrite - first I need to make space by excavating the ones I have, filling in with something good (compost/dirt/not rubble) and then making a plan! I think Victor has warned me off knee-high - he calls it thigh-high, or something worse. x, C
AngelG1111
Frisco, TX

March 2, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4610832

I bought the baby swan seeds from a website. I have a few germinated so I cant wait to see how they look later this summer. They are supposed to be shorter than the White Swans. Google "baby swan seeds' if anyone is interested. I think it may be from Swallowtail seeds or Johnnys seeds.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #4611674

Penne!!!! So cool, I just love that picture!

Angel G -- Those are cute as a dickens!

The Yahoo coop group has Tiki Torch plugs this go around, so looks like I will finally be getting some. I had Tiki Torch on order last year, not "them", but ONE plant that with freight was $27.00! I was so happy to have found it, the pictures were so pretty and it was just what I wanted.

Then I realized the website didn't say anything about shipping, so I emailed them, and they said, oh, they were sorry, but the Tissue culture lab where they were getting them wouldn't have them ready for a couple months. So, they were selling me a gallon pot at $19.95 for a little PLUG that would be in the gallon pot, but not rooted. So I was paying a flat rate box of $8.95 for soilles mix in a pot with a little bitty plant they JUST received. Naturally, I cancelled the order, even though I wanted it a LOT.

Suzy
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #4611894

I have Tiki Torch on order from GC. Also Green Envy, Pink Double Delight & Coconut Lime. I hope that's not where you ordered last year, Suzy. They should be easier to come by this year. I know the plants are smaller, but I have ordered before and everybody seems generally happy with them. Plus they were the only place I could find all 4. A lot of their echies are sold out now (including Tiki). wish I could have afforded more than 1 of each.

all I have now is Ruby Giant. It was gorgeous, but it kind of petered out last year. maybe it needs dividing? it was only 3 yrs old.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #4611916

Yeah, I never heard of GC until Stacey's Coop. I missed out on Green Envy big time. I only have one-- Magnus, but I'm not in love with it. It also gets those worms/larvae that feed on the base of the cones. Not sure what they are, though.

No, I didn't order from them, so you're safe :))

Suzy

grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #4612215

Has anybody noticed how long this thread is? Really need a new one for this year. I'm going to be very presumptuous and start one.

here it is:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/819376/

edit for spelling, and I still probably didn't get it right LOL

This message was edited Mar 2, 2008 10:05 AM
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7585368

I keep reading about people mentioning flower co-ops or seed co-ops..What's this? How does it work?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2010

Post #7587807

Pippi,

A co-op is a method of making a group purchase of plants or any other gardening related item. These group purchases can allow you to buy at a reduced rate because of the volume of the purchase. You can go here to see the rules.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026719/

Go to this forum to see what's being put together for purchases.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/groupbuy/all/

Molly
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7590005

Hi, Molly
I am interested in what has done the best for you. Did you like Tomato Soup? Tiki Torch.

Teresa in KY
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7859840

Bigcityal...did you ever tell us the names of your monarda that are planted next to the BES?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 18 Aug 29, 2014 2:53 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM
where would be a good place to buy the different coneflowers glevely 19 Sep 21, 2009 8:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America