Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Did You go Cone Crazy?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Last year we were in a co-op for coneflowers. Some made it, some didn't. Some flourished, some faltered.

Here's some of mine. How are your's doing?

Kim's Knee High, in addition to what you can see, there are about 7-8 more blooms working. I have another 2 of these plants that are on their way back to booming!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Sundown: there are 17 blooms/buds on this plant. It has filled out very well and stands about 2 feet tall.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here is a regular coneflower, pink. A friend gave me 3-4 of these plants at a roundup and I believe she's calling them Florida natives. They love my sand!

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And last but not least and not even an echinacea, and certainly not one from the co-op, Prairie Coneflower.

Doesn't matter, I'm still cone crazy!!!!!

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Molly-My coneflowers have not started to bloom yet, but I am anxiously awaiting them all. I love the picture of your Sundown! Beautiful!
I don't have all the new colored ones yet, but have Ruby Giant. It smells delicious!
The Goldfinches love the seeds once the flowering stops so I never end up deadheading. Oh, the seedlings! :)))
Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Bev

Thornton, IL

yes, nice pics! Mine won't bloom until August, I have pink Magnus and white White Swan. It is my experience that White Swan isn't as vigorous as the pinks.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks good Molly. I only have White Swan budding now, I have about 25 varieties. How do yours do in the heat of summer there?

Al,

I must say I had a couple hybrids from the co-op die, (although the jury may still be out on that one) but the ones that are thriving now, are in full sun all day long, every day of the year. They seem to do fine.

Since I have been here less that 2 years, everyday in the garden is still a learning experience. Not the same thing as gardening in the tropics.

Molly
:^))))

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Al, I didn't know that there were that many varieties of coneflowers.

I absolutely love them as well. Last year was my first time, but I think they are great. I did get two razzamatazzs this year that I am waiting to bloom. In addition, I have kim's knees, kim's mophead, magnus, and lots of white swans. I'm still debating getting one of the newer Big Sky series - sundown. I also really like the pink double delight.

That dopplenger gives me the creeps though.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Probably over 30 kinds of echinacea now, then add in ratibida and at least the hardy rudbeckia and it's a high number. They are now getting to have some varieties similar to each other. Molly won't like to hear this, but I really didn't care for Sundown - the flowers formed were often deformed and the color fades back to purple rather fast. Sunrise is nice. Razzamatazz is surprisingly hardy here - not a bad flower. Doppleganger got sick and I put it to sleep here.

here is Sundown from last year

Thumbnail by bigcityal
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Al, I like the color of your sundown. Seeing it made me realize that I was referring to After Twilight. It's supposed to have a richer color than magnus. Do you have After Twilight as well?

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

I picked up After Midnight this year - is that what you mean? The color should be close to Fatal Attraction which was my favorite last year.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I meant After Midnight.

Thornton, IL

After Twilight is for those of us who can't stay awake til After Midnight. *grin*

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

That really would be me! :)

Thornton, IL

me too, LOL.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Al,
I still like the color of your Sundown. Looks like the smaller newer flowers still come the Sundown color?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the names mixed up!

MollyMc - Those are really big plants for being such babies...you must be a good gardener!

Al, Your collection was beautiful last year, so I bet this year it will be absolutely stunning! In fact, I added 5 more plants because your pictures were so pretty.

I remembered what you said about trying to pick up stuff half price but I had to pass on some 1/2 price Gallardia 'Goblin' last night because Mr. Clean wouldn't wait for the manager to override the register to get my discount. I really could have used those! In big pots, they were only $2.50 each!

Suzy

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Kelly,
Tiki Torch has now hit the market as an orange echinacea. Terra Nova puts out better plants than Big Sky so I am hoping that one will be nicer.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooo, I bet that's a pretty one. I have to get some colored Echinacea. I have only the purple ones. In fact they were from you at last years RU and are doing great.

Kelly

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

I can get you some White Swan. I have Fragrant Angel and Primmadonna White - which is a stud.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Forgot I have White Swan, Lauren brought it for me last year. So don't have the room for much more in the bed they are both in.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Al, would you please describe the differences between White Swan, Hope, and Angel and Primadonna. I have never seen them together to be able to figure out the differences. Right now, I only have White Swan.

I would love to know your favorite of them, and why.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

I do not have any pics of Hope - it is new for me this year. Supposed to be a little more pinker, we'll see. Sometimes factors like flowering, hardiness etc are factors in liking.

Here is White Swan, certainly nothing to say bad about it. Very hardy,good flowering. It gets bigger and reseeds so it still seems funny that it sells for as much as it does - same with Magnus.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Fragrant Angel is supposed to be more fragrant, but my nose isn't the best and it smells the same to me. Certainly different from the other white ones by the flatness of the flowers. I like the large flat petals. Maybe not as many flowers as White Swan. A bit taller I would say also.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Those are both nice plants Al.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Primadonna White is like a bigger version of White Swan. Mine was in a pot last year which limited it's overall size some. It is a tossup for which one I like better between Fragrant Angel on this one. I have seen Avalanche for sale also that is a different white.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Kelly

I recall seeing Coconut Lime for sale now too, which is the white Razzmatazz. It's a pretty good bet that any of the popular purple forms they will find the white(albino) form of.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Al, that was very helpful. It is easy to distinguish the other coneflowers because of the colors. Now, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because I don't have six different white ones. I will be content with White Swan and Kim's Mophead.

I may have to consider the vintage wine colors though.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

These are ready to go in the ground at Lisa's. When I pull them up in the fall I will not want to take them to the dump and I have no idea what to do with the 90 plants I will have. I change the beds by the pool twice a year.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Dale,

Throw in the dump??????? I know a home for those poor orphans!!!!

Molly
:^)))

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Its hard to image that someone would have a gardener purchase and install perennials, and then treat them like annuals by pulling them out at the end of the season. Its a huge waste of money, but on the other hand, they probably have a fabulous looking garden year round.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I bet you have a few local gardeners that would take them off your hands if you tell them when you pull them out.
Guess that is like locally here, at the malls, colleges, and etc, they put in tulips, dig them, etc. Right now, I just noticed a 100+ small lantana plants just planted in a 10' x 4' strip at a mall entrance, and know that this fall they will rip them out! Sad! Last Christmas they has Rosemary trimmed in tree shapes with bows on top, pretty but such a waste of nice plants.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Sheila,

It would be great if you could convince the mall or the company that takes care of their plants to give them to local gardeners. You could start a trend that spread throughout the country!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Might just ask about that. It would be nice to give them to nursing homes, community centers, daycares, or just anyone that would replant and not resell.
Oh, as far as Cone crazy.......I got a Giant Cone Flower a couple seasons ago. This year it zoomed to over 6 foot tall! LOL! Not much to look at, but definately a "what is that?" from my neighbors. I have it next to a Verbascum so it looks like I am putting hormones in that bed! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a distant shot.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Oh My Gosh!

Thornton, IL

What is that tree Sheila (fingers crossed that I can grow it here)?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

It might be a crepe myrtle.

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Sheila,
I have a few of the more native rudbeckias. Definitely back border plant.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/41986/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.