-
AuthorContent
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3516840

Does anyone know what to do about the dreaded black spot on my roses? I moved into a house with a rose bush that had a bad case of black spot. I picked off everything and sprayed with a fungicide. I bought 2 new bushes and planted them far away from the existing one and within a week both are showing signs of the disease. Despite spraying and carefully not watering too much or spraying the leaves, I can't seem to stop this fungus. I live in WA state but must be able to grow roses somehow!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 20, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3517263

H i Vicki, weeNel here Again, the good news about the black spot on your roses is that it wont kill your bushes, it is more an unsightly disorder than a harmfull one, you did the right thing by gathering up all your dead and fallen leaves and BURNING them, this is one of the hardest deseases to get rid off on roses and it can take you a long time (if ever), the prob seems worce on heavily pruned rose BUSHES and too light a pruneing on climbers, the best I know is to spray the roses with a fungiside with Captan OR Maneb every 2 weeks and continue to gather and burn all fallen deseased leaves, as you prob know, it overwinters on the ground and any leaves that are left there.
Also I would give your roses a good FOLIAR FEED as the desease attacks worce on weeker roses, I know it is no help to you right now, but this is a common desease all over the world, you can now get roses that are grown to be resistant to Black Spot, ( Note the word resistant, NOT cant get it) but I dont hold my breath as if you have it, then it wll get those so called desease free shrubs IF there is the slightest weekness at all.
Next year, when you do your pruneing, that is when I would start your strict spraying regime, and do it every 2 weeks and keep up your foliar feed also, this will give less chance for it to get hold, I know I had a beautiful climber for years and then it got attacked with this black spot, I never, ever, got rid completely, but I felt it was more controled. so good luck, by the way, I am sure you will get these products in either hardware or garden center.
Hope this helps you, WeeNel.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3517277

Frostweed (on the Texas Gardening Forum) swears by low fat milk diluted 1-10 w/water and sprayed on roses kills the black spot. Others concur.

Ann
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 20, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3517679

Never used milk, but hey, I will give it a go myself, maybe something in the fat content of the milk does the trick, who cares if it works, it will be cheeper and safer than any chemical, thanks for that and good luck, WeeNel.
twomoons
Concrete, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #3519025

I have the same black spot issue. There are 4 climbing roses in my yard, I don't have names of types, i call them wild roses...they have really small buds on them, but they all have the black spot on the leaves, and the leaves on one of them are falling off so fast, it is starting to look like a bunch of twigs...
What causes this black spot?
gn63
Banks, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #3585365

Corn meal is used for this also. A Hand full at the base is good for the spotts on roses.

Cornmeal and its many uses. . .

Got yellow leaves on your photinia, brown patch in your St. Augustine grass or algae in your pond or water feature? You don’t have to use toxic chemicals like the synthetic fungicides or heavy metal products like copper sulfate. There’s a terrific solution to these problems that is totally natural. Cornmeal – and it’s now available from the garden centers and feed stores in 25 pound bags. Cornmeal controls diseases better than any of the toxic chemical pesticides.

In general, cornmeal is the natural fungal disease fighter that is especially good for use on brown patch in St Augustine grass, damping off in seedlings and fungal leaf spots on roses, Indian hawthorn, photinia and other susceptible plants. Corn gluten meal is the natural “weed and feed” product.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2007
5:39 AM

Post #3585558

That milk recipe is very good however it must be full fat ...it works on mildew and most fungus...and won't hurt anything (bees...or us)
great in the veg patch
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

June 7, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3586171

Don't know what it is in the milk that does it, but it is a natural fungicide.
Not sure if you absolutely have to use high fat milk/whole milk since you dilute it - dilution recipes vary - I guess it depends on what you feel like, I think I was using one cup per gallon (mixed in an empty milk jug).
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #3587014

WOW! These recipes are great. And I'm getting hungry! Some for the roses, some for me.
vickijackson55
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3619482

Thanks for the advice all. Especially the milk and cornmeal. I used a fungicide, and because of some medical problems, apparently I shouldn't touch that stuff. I was in bed for 2 days because of it. I think I can handle milk and cornmeal though.
Vicki
Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3632202

Research in New Zealand has found skim milk is just as effective, here's that link,
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/tv-mildew.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America