Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Help with I.D.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I took these photos this morning back on our property. It had a very loud song. I was standing under the tree, looking up and couldn't see what it looked like until I downloaded the photos, these were the best 2 shots I got. I have no idea what it is, can anyone help?
Thanks!

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Summer Tanager, a one-year old male.

Resin

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Oh thank you Resin!! I had been hoping to see a Scarlet or Summer Tanager this year, too bad he was in the shadow so I had to wait until I got the pics on the computer to really "see" him :-) Now I'll be lookout for sure.

Keep your ears peeled for the same song . . . that's the way to find them!

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations sadie!! They are so beautiful!

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pelle ~ I went back out later in the afternoon, looking and listening but didn't see him again. I'll be keeping a close watch though!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, how very 'lucky', sadie_mae ..

Some mighty difficult birds to 'see' most times .. let alone, to fetch a photograph!

Tis said that (we) learn something new every day, and I can certainly attest to this fact for about the 4th time today, already! (LOL) I'd known of the Summer, the Scarlet and the Western Tanager - but I'd had absolutely no idea of all of these other Tanager species! Take a look > http://www.junglewalk.com/sound/Tanager-sounds.htm

And thank you, for sharing your photos with us ..

((huggs))

- Magpye

Quoting:
I'd known of the Summer, the Scarlet and the Western Tanager - but I'd had absolutely no idea of all of these other Tanager species!

There's about 240 species in the family, almost all of them in tropical regions of South and Central America.

Seems though the family is likely to be broken up sometime soon, as DNA evidence has shown that not all tanagers are closely related to each other, some are more closely related to cardinals than they are to some other tanagers.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.