Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gingers: Tahitian Gingers

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 4, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3517147

I have a few plants of the big-plumed Tahitian Gingers. They are growing pretty quickly. As I haven't tried them here before, I assume I should keep them in a large tub once mature and overwinter in the heated greenhouse if I wish to see blooms, right? My Alpinia purpuratas do well in a large pot, so I was hoping these could be persuaded to as well. Any advice?

Thanks!
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3534182

What genra are you referring to as Tahitian Gingers?
Liz :)
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3536696

Hi Liz,

Alpinia purpurata---Double flowering red ginger-- AKA Tahitian Ginger.. This ginger is much different from the regular A. purpurata in that the flower stalk actually branches and forms a HUGE (more than a foot across), red ball, instead of the small cone.

Thanks!

Brad

PS--I am surprised Dave Skinner hasn't popped in here?? Dave??
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2007
5:16 AM

Post #3537312

Since Tahitian is also a purpurata it would also be a zone 10 and should grow for you under the same condtions as your others.
Dave is currently out of the country, but you never know he might still check back in :)
Liz

Thumbnail by birdlady_liz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3537790

Nice Costus barbatus, Liz! I had a large pot of them I brought from my old house when I moved back in December. I put them in the gound and they are now blooming. I find once they are well established, they seem to take the cold snaps fairly well, though once that cane freezes, generally no blooms for the coming year. :( This is one of my fave gingers, and much much better behaved than their speciosus cousins, who tend to spread all over the place. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America