Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Cantaloupes

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
threetoes59
Charlestown, IN

May 21, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #3519249

The cantaloupe I grow does not have the quality of sweetness
I would like to have. Is there a secret?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3519768

Choose the cultivar that suits your taste. Sugar Queen is one of the sweetest cantaloupes, but I personnaly like the Galia type melons even better.
threetoes59
Charlestown, IN

May 25, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #3532825

Do you think a product like Miracle Grow would allow vegetables to grow and produce better flavor?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3533176

i really do believe that you need to ask your local people at the feed store or nursery...every area has a cantaloupe that is the best for the soil, etc...
suzimcmullen
Kansas City, MO

May 26, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3537659

I'm just learning about hydroponics and have read many times that the food tastes better because the nutrients are constantly available in just the right amount.

So In my regular garden I'm trying to be very consistent. I'm using worm casting tea and watering with it at least 2-3 days per week. The rest of the time I do use regular water. I also added a lot of organic material when I started out. I believe growing conditions will help a lot.

No one can use Miricle grow that often because it would burn the plants. In my worm casting tea I use worm castings, molasses, sea bird guano and a tiny bit of potash. It gets stired for 24 hours and I mix it half and half with water when I use it. I guess I'll know in time how good everything tastes. So far I have ate cabbage and spinach from the garden and loved both.

Suzi
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3537827

Being a country girl we just use a lot of Osmocote and soil conditioner when we plants...the Osmocote is put on the side below the surface about 3"...then we don't do anything else except use the spray growth regulator on the tomatoes causing them the cluster lots of tomatoes!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America