Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: plants - I promise!

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 374
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 21, 2007
10:39 PM

Post #3520986

Hi all,
Shear exuberance and joy at new forum has made for some not really on topic threads. So, I promise no u/w pics at this thread. I do have a question for you to ponder though. I have a Pikake - Jsminium Sambac "Grand Duke of Tuscany", that is having some problems, and I don't know what to do. I gets very few blooms, and they brown and drop before they are completely open. Last only two - three days. Is this due to too much water/not enough? Something else? I have searched the leaves, and can find no bug. Ideas anyone? The leaves seems green and healthy enough, but I am no expert. Help?

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3521819

hope this links help u http://www.floridata.com/ref/j/jasm_sam.cfm
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week077.shtml
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3521855

Thank you MVR. Both were interesting. Don't you just love Plant of the Week! Always such pretty pictures.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #3522347

I don't believe this, coincidentally I've this vine too, and it's setting buds. Shari, of course it's being overwintered indoor in my zone. For our plant that may having problem flowering, they may need a boost of high phospate fertilizer. Let's see/hear others' chime in.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #3522369

The only fert on the island at the moment is those little pellet things...supposed to only use once every 3 months. I hate them! I am waiting for an order of better stuff. Then I need to be sure that I don't overfeed because of the time release stuff. Tis a puzzlement. Is yours still inside?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3522391

They were out last month, doing quite well in a restricted space. For the timed released fert. Did you cultivate the pellets into the soil? For a quick easy way to "side dress" your flowering plants. This what I do. I buy compost manure in bags (It sounds gross!) but no odor at all. I "dress" them 2-3 inches thick around my plants, topdress with additional leave mulch (be sure to leave your plant crowd some room to breath, keep the mulch away appx. 2" in circumference) Then gently water them in. My perennials love this treatment. They bloom like they're going out of style.

This message was edited May 22, 2007 9:56 AM
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #3522975

I have had this vine also-it did well inside, but I never fertilized it, once. When I put it outside it did not do well with a lot of sun, but did great in a location with part shade.

Shari, for North Carolina, I have tried some really strange plants (killed a lot along the way of course!), but I tend to think that gingers would do very well there. Just to let you know, (if I have the time) I trade with a person in Puerto Rico that occasionally wants to order things that won't ship to him. I usually make an order (of course I always have to get something, too!), have the plants ship to me, then ship to him. If there are things you need and don't have a person to ship them to you-let me know and I'll gladly do it if you have the time. I spent so much time making packages for my parents when they were there, so I do understand how hard it is to get what you want. BTW, my dad is great, he really loved the island pics, apparently a lot has changed. :o)
RRONNIE
HOD HASHARON
Israel
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3523017

Hi Shari - Israel's calling.

Lurking you since your post/note, re. this forum, at "Palms and Cycads" forum - well since yesterday.
Great forum, alas, what am i to do here ??? Sub tropic - verge of desert - palms/cycas/draecenas/cactus person COMME MOI !!!

My guess - the palm people will stay in "Palms and Cycads" forum.

Try tempting my more versatile, open minded, palmy friend at - http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=4

Love to see'ya celebrating (well, more of having a feast) here.

We'll be talking on ...

Shalom,

Ronnie

dfgdf

Thumbnail by RRONNIE

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #3523789

Shari...

There is a wonderful fertilizer called MSU Orchid Fertilizer - it is sold by http://www.raysfirstlight.com (click on Chemicals)... I switched to it about 6 months back and I LOVE it. It's high in calcium and mag. - something missing in our soils - I know my hoyas love it and I am foliar feeding the rest of the gardens with it!!! You can buy it in 5lb. tubs...it is NOT pricey and you use VERY little.

With all of the Albatrosses there 'one would think' you have a good guano supply. YUK!!

carol
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3524082

Shari, don't worry about the timed release fertilizer staying in your soil for 3 months. Most of the formulations are released much faster in warm climates where you have to water more often and surely you qualify for that. LOL

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3524190

The jasmine is in a pot, correct?

See lily says hers is setting buds and mine did well inside-but in a lot of sun the blooms always fell off mine until I moved it into a little more shade. Two years with no fertilizer in the shade, it bloomed very nicely-lol-that is, until I killed it by forgetting to water! :(
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3524280

Re: timed release. Nutricote is great...Osmocote is death!!!! Some plants just don't respond, it can release oddly and fry plants, especially in our climates. Nutricote is better. Around here we fertilize every 10" of rain!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #3524304

Thank you all for the great info! Carol - I will check into that for sure. Yep mine is in a pot. I was doing some checking of all my garden friends on a walk through with my DD and noticed that the soil in that pot is very compacted...I think maybe the people who had it before didn't use a proper potting soil, so I will be re-potting it when I get back. That may help too.

Ronnie!!!!!! So good to see you here - even if its just to say Hi! You may not spend much time here - but if we come up with palm or cycad questions, I will be bugging you for help, yes? You and Palmbob of course. Shalom, my friend, yokwe!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3524665

My 'line' is plumeria... many many different kinds. Too many, some would say. But this time of year, when they all bloom...aaaah BLISS!!

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3524682

Dutchlady - that is gorgeous! I love plumies - there are so many pictures I want to post, and I keep forgetting to take my camera! I have two trees in my yard, a 12 foot and a baby. But there are some HUGE trees on the iland that I want to show you! Well, this forum will be here when I get back and I'll post lots of pics then. So good to have you with us!
BayAreaTropics
Hayward, CA

May 23, 2007
2:51 AM

Post #3525568

I'm growing sambac here in the cool bay area.Here,the yellowing is from the winter weather..greening up in the summer. Still,they never seem to get a rich dark green in the ground as it did when i grew it in a pot.Cold soil i suppose. Even in SouCal it is not considered something you plant for its foliage.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 23, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3525585

Hi there BayArea! Know Hayward well! San Francisco is still my favorite city in the whole world (well, at least the parts of it that I have seen)! Welcome! I have my Grand Duke in a pot, and the leaves are the dark green, but the stems get very white and woody. Its actually not a beautiful plant - except for those glorious flowers...which is why I'm trying to figure out why I don't get very many. This thread has been full of really good info that I will be trying out soon. Glad you could stop by!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3526204

Shari - I would be very interested to see pictures of the plumeria on the islands. Are they all white?
Just for you - another picture :-)

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1

Tropicalmajik
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 23, 2007
10:52 AM

Post #3526296

Dutchlady- I love the plumeria pic! We have a ton of the plain white (Plumeria obtusa)here on Kwaj, some of the pink, yellow and a few of the red (Plumeria rubra). The rainbows are my favorite for color, but I think the white P. rubra is the best for smell!

Does anyone know if it is better to propagate the Pikake in water or soil? I got a few soft wood cuttings from mom and tried one in each. The one in soil died in about 1 &1/2 weeks, the one in water had small root nubs and I put it in soil and it died too. We don't have root hormone on island, and we haven't ordered any yet (it usually isn't needed) but I would really like this in my garden...

Nina
smartlung
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
4:49 AM

Post #3533381

Islandshari,

I think your experience is fairly typical. I've grown this twice - the 1st time I killed it - seems that it needs a ton of water - even in my screened porch. I've been fairing much better this year - just using Dynamite on it with tons of water. Its been flowering very well but the blooms just dont last that long. I took this pic yesterday - the leggy branch is laying on the group with 17 buds on it - too many for space to bloom

Thumbnail by smartlung

TropiSocal_dave
Garden Grove, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3533448

I planted my pikake last spring and it look pretty good until this winter. With record temps in the 20s and 30s for a week straight, my plant never really recovered. It was climbing my home at about 8 feet tall. Last week, I cut mine to about 12 inches above the soil line. Unless something miraculous happens soon, i will unfortunately replace it with something else. The flowers did smell great!!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 25, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3534693

Smartlung...yours looks like what we call here the "Rose Pikake". I have killed a number of them... They seem fussier to me than the straight Pikake...
smartlung
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #3536081

AlohaHoya:

Really! I haven't heard of that one - it was sold as Grand Duke - do you know what other mainland name it may have? Thanks!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 28, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3546334

Hi everyone! I'm back from Pohnpei, with lots of pics and stories - I've missed you all! Soon as I check in with the other forums I'll get back here so we can go on with the Pikake discussion. Carol - My "rose" is also called "Grand Duke" - I think the rose is purely an island thing, but I could be wrong. I also have the straight Pikake, and your are right - it is much less fussy. Also glossier leaves. Altogether I think the straight or star jasminium sambac is a prettier plant than the Grand Duke - but the scent on the Grand Duke is sooooo much stronger!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM
Cat Palm lraffield1 1 May 23, 2007 8:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America