Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Spiders, yay or nay?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kalika22
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3521787

I've recently started a small balcony vegetable garden, and have noticed an increase in spiders. Not enough to freak me out, but there are a lot more than before. I am new to growing vegetables, and didn't know if it would be a good idea to kill them or not. Should I leave them to kill the pests, or are they a pest in themselves?

Thanks a bunch :)
jkehl
Rome, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3521875

Personally, I'm pro-spider... They eat insects which might eat your veggies so in general I like them. But in creating a balcony garden you've created a whole new eco-system so there may be too many spiders there. Are there webs all over? If so you might be justified in re-locating or killing some of them. What are they catching in their webs? They may be saving you from a fly problem. If you have the time, I'd suggest watching them for awhile to see what's going on.

Jeff
kalika22
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3521918

Mostly misquetos caught in the webs, and the webs are everywhere. My balcony is only 4' X 8' and I walk into new webs every day. They also like to hide out in the railing. I would say there are about 30 spiders or so out there. I've noticed a few aphids, but I kill them right away so they arn't much of a problem, but I don't see the blasted spiders eating them :p

I do let my cats wander out there and eat what spiders they want, but I'm feeling like there are just too many of them taking up residence here.

This message was edited May 21, 2007 8:32 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America