Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poppies: Perennial Poppies ok for zone 6 ?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 7, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3523167

I was at a local garden center here the other day and asked for the oriental or perennial poppies. The man at the center told me they didn't carry them because they wouldn't do well in this area.

IS THAT TRUE ??????? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any in anyone's gardens. But then, I've just recently become aware of them here on DG. So if I had seen them, maybe I didn't notice so much.

Does anyone in zone 6 grow them ? If so, which ones are best performers?

Thanks

skimper
Greenwich, OH

May 22, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #3523192

Oriental poppies will grow well for you in your zone.if you find plants at the nursery go ahead and purchase them.You will have poppies that will return every year.They are perennial poppies.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 23, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #3525263

They will even proliferate in zone 6 . Just let the seed heads ripen and then treat it like a salt shaker. Shake them out wherever you want more. The seedlings will however revert to the basic orange in a few generations.

During hot summer months they go dormant then in the fall they start to grow again. They will almost disappear during the summer (think daffodils.)
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3527035

And they look like a mass of thistles when coming up in the spring and again in late fall. :) I almost did mine in because I didn't know what I had. :) LOL That was pre-poppy indulgence days..
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3527405

That's funny... pre-poppy indulgence days !

Ok then, I'm going to get some poppy seeds and see what happens.

Any particular varieties that you are fond of ? I'm a newbie here.

What's your favorite ? and why ? Thanks for introducing me to a new 'indulgence' hehe.

From what I've seen, they are so pretty among Irises. I can hardly wait.

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3528081

Oh do try some poppies, Even the plain old orange ones are such a welcome sight .
This is from last week ,all but gone now, on to iris and peony.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3528163

Peggy, winter-sow your poppies and you'll have a much better chance of germination. Or buy poppy plants now for immediate gratification. :)

Diann
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3528182

I can't stop the things from multiplying! I planted6 of them 2 falls ago and now I have too many! They were supposed to cover my fading daffs and now they are crowding them out. I'd say they do quite well in zone 6.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America