Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: yellow Datura seeds

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 17, Views: 253
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3531800

I have some seeds of this one { don't know the name] for a SASE if anyone is interested. Lorine Sorry, seeds all taken, Maybe more later in the summer.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 7:43 AM

Thumbnail by Rene10
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2007
1:17 PM

Post #3533970

That's a beauty!

X
PediRNCM
San Benito, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3539871

I would love to have seeds, please.
Pedi
buddywillistx
Willis, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3542606

OOOhhhhhh pretty, I waaaant some (not whining, just pleading).
Can you email me an address? Thanks!!!! I'll send you pictures of the next generation...Jan
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3543020

That's a pretty datura!!!I would like to try a few seeds please.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #3794125

I'll gladly s.a.s.e. you!!!
She's lovely!

-Joe
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #3854012

Rene, I have a few of these double yellows growing, My first Datura. I want to collect seeds. Can you give me detailed (maybe with pics) instructions on collecting these seeds? Holly
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2007
5:06 AM

Post #3854874

Here ya go

http://www.xeramtheum.com/Daturaseeds.htm
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2007
12:19 PM

Post #3855308

Xeramtheum, Than you very much. That is exactly what I needed. I don't thin mine are producing seed pods, or I'm expecting them too early. I haven't seen anything lie that. How long between the time when the flowers come off and the pods appear? I noted your suggestion on shaing the plant which I have started this morning and will continue.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #3855555

It takes about a week to notice it start to go from the button stage to the gum drop.

X
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3855874

Thans X, I reread your instructions and saw the time line. I went thru my records and my first flowers were around July 30th. I haven't seen any pods develop yet. Great info.
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 15, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3857836

Mine almost always puts on seed pods. I have been pinching them off because I severely trimmed mine & I want its strength to go to growth. The pods are thorny looking, don't remember how long it takes them to mature, but they start splitting open when mature. Great info Xeramtheum!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3893099

Holy,

I planted mine in a bed about 2 weeks before the Swap at hart's. When was that anyway?????...:o)
Mine are getting bigger and bigger. I am glad that i will have some mature seeds to share. Last year, I planted them out too late and they did not mature too well---so, the germination was down. I only had the purple ones last year. This is my first year with the yellows.

Here is a picture of the seed pods on the Double yellow Datura. These are all still green. On the double Purple/white one, they are green/maroon, as the stems on that Datura are all reddish maroon anyway.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3893114

Compare the above to these from the Double Purple/White Metel Datura.

Tomorrow, i will go out and tie pieces of nylon stockings around the bigger pods. I do not want to lose any seeds from either plant.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #3895890

Gita, Looks like I may have a few seed heads developing. I was told to gently shaje my plant a couple of times a day, since they didn't seem to be producing any. Also I've been letting the flower heads on, although I wasn't very picky about removing them in the first place. LOL
Ric and I are leaving next week for a rather long trip, my DIL will probably be doing the seed collecting for me, unless we change our minds and do two shorter trips instead of one long one.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2007
7:20 PM

Post #3895892

Forgot to add my pic

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3896892

Holy,

I have many many seed heads developed and more are coming. Today, I pit some cut off toes from knee high pantyhose over the bigger ones. I have NO scientific reason for doing this, just thought it would lead to a better ripening and harvest.
I base this on an experience the very first year I had my Purple datura. When I went to harvest the ONLY ripe and split open seed pod, there were maybe 10 seeds inside. All the rest were eaten up by earwigs or other bugs.

I still have quite a few of the Yellow Datura seeds from my seed exchange from last year. Wish I could remember who sent me what.
I like to send a picture to them a year later so they can see how their "babies" are doing. Like my 4O'clocks are beautiful and blooming away. I would have to do some serious digging to find who sent them to me...How do YOU keep track?
I have never messed with the Journals. Don't know how they work.

Have a safe trip. Where are you going? I presume we will not see you at Jill's then?

Best, Gita
Here's a picture of some of the yellow Dat. seed pods. If yours is just now setting, it may not totally ripen before frost hits. Then the seeds are not ready. That's why my Purple one's seeds had such a low germination rate.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #3898535

I do try to keep track of the plants and seeds I get from swaps. But I'm not very organized I have a Notebook 3 ring Binder type with pockets I stuff mostly everything in there and then have to paw through the mess when I want to find something. I have a old over sized receipe file box for my seeds I put the packets in envelopes and put notes on the front of the envelopes so I know where they came from or when I planted them. One of my goals is to become better organized and I am slowly getting there. I wish I had taken better notes at the Spring Swap. I've also used the Trade Tracker here at DG it's a pretty nice feature. If the swap was arranged though D-mail I quite often use the original D-mail that I received at the time of trade to send pics and quick note saying how I did with the seeds I received from the swap.

Well, We are going to Duck N.C. on the outer banks for 2 weeks and we leave on Sept 1st. and We are going to Myrtle Beach S.C. for 1 week on Oct 1st and then moving backup to Duck for one more week. The iffy part is the 2 weeks between the trips. The original plan was that after leaving Duck we would head south to Florida and visit with Rics Dad see how he is doing and what needs to be taken care of at the house stopping on the way down doing some exploring down along the gulf coast and then head bacj up to Myrtle Beach to meet friends. It would be a six week trip. But Rics Dad decided to come up in August to visit, we just spent 2 weeks with him, so now we are debating whether to go down now or maybe later in the year. which means 2 two week trips with two weeks at home between them. We're leaving next Sat and at this point I'm still not sure if I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks or 6. LOL
I really hate that I will miss the Fall Swap I had such a good time at the Spring Swap and would just love to see everyone again. They are all such a nice group of people and I'm sure that there will be some that couldn't make the Spring Swap that I would love to meet.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America