-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3541643

I absolutely love the pattern on this this teacup. I donít know enough about china, etc. to identify. I would like to find more pieces to match, but itís been impossible since I donít know what Iím looking for, lol. I would love any ideas or suggestion for a possible id.

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2007
5:36 PM

Post #3541655

Here is the markings, looks to be "DO" or "DQ"?

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #3541662

and another shot of the inside, pattern looks like a willow tree. There is not handles on this cup.

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3750352

Hey, cocoa_lulu. This is my first time on this forum and I just saw your cup. It's very pretty! I don't know a thing about it, but have you browsed ebay? I've gotten a few IDs there.

And resisted bidding! Yes, really!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3750700

Thank you, Brigid. Isn't this forum great. I love looking at all the old stuff and great stories.

I've looked on ebay (trust me, a Lot)lol. The only thing I have to go on is putting "red transferware" in the search engine. Which can pull up thousands of results. It would be so much easier if I had more to go on, such as name of pattern or maker.

Thank you for replying tho, it bumps me to the top...increasing my odds for identity ; )
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2007
6:14 PM

Post #3750995

Anything for a friend. I guess you've tried putting in "DO" and "willow" to narrow it down.

I have service for 12 in Blue Willow, thanks to ebay. I had a tea set of it when I was little, and have always wanted the dishes. I need to look up the story, as I forget the details. I had a book of that legend back when I had the tea set.

Ever wish you could go back to when you were five and set aside stuff to keep until you were grown up, instead of finding your mother gave it all to a neighbor's kid while you were at camp?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3752146

LOL, I come from a family of pack rats and married into a family of pack rats. Even my kids are like crows and pick up everything shiny.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3752172

Really nice transferware cup. It isn't the traditional "Red Willow" pattern but close to it. Can you post the backstamp?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3752544

Thanks for looking, Beth. The only marking is the one in the second photo. It's only an 1/8 inch big, sorry, that's the best photo I could get
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 24, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3773086

Here you go... There are fancier versions, but they all come down to this basic story. I have a 12 place setting with pretty much all of the serving pieces, including some of the newer/non traditional ones. I fell in love with Blue Willow around age 5 and never fell out of love.

I love the red pattern you have - I sure hope you can find the name!

Thumbnail by tgif

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3785523

THANKS, tgif! I remember also a bit about the guards chasing the lovers -- they're the figures racing across the bridge from what I remember. It's just nice to have china that tells a whole story. I need to get it down in my head so I can tell my granddaughter next time she comes for tea. (I love having a GD who loves tea parties... have to take advantage of that while I can as it won't last long...)
tgif
Starkville, MS

July 27, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3786086

brigid - You're right - Not long at all... Google Blue Willow Legend for more expanded versions and put together the best version in a permanent form - cross stitch, framed print, etc, and give it to your GD on her birthday or at Christmas.

And save her a set of your dishes (the ones you are using with her now) for when she has children of her own and then she can pass it along. Some would say its a little thing, but it can be a very *big* thing to her later!

Lulu - I don't think the pattern is related to blue willow. There *is* a red version, but it is the same pattern as the blue.

Willows don't flower like that. I am still combing my books, limited as they are, for anything that looks similar to the pattern or the mark. Don't give up yet - sooner or later, we're sure to find *something* that will give the hint needed to find the answer. It is such a pretty pattern - it needs to be saved!
ginni
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3786115

This is a piece of the old traditional "blue willow", though your piece has a real willow on it in red!
Beth

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3786329

http://www.thepotteries.org/patterns/willow.html

Check this out! It tells the legend and shows the part of the plate that represents it! I hope that link works.
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #3786478

It works fine! I can see three men (one with a lantern) chasing the lovers over the bridge. The ship is arriving with the betrothed. The fence goes down to a raging torrent of water and the fence goes halfway around the cup. The two birds are flying face to face.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #3796149

Until you mentioned it, I just never noticed they were facing each other!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America