Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
freetwofarm
North Tazewell, VA

May 28, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3543702

How do you harvest the asparagus seeds? I have some asparagus plants which come up every year. They are in an area of about two and a half feet in diameter. I would like to keep the plants where they are and also harvest some of the seeds to plant in my, new doing ok, garden. The plants are in a flower bed type of area and are beautiful with the other plants.

free
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #3546609

It takes about three years from planting a seed to the first asparagus harvest. I'd suggest that you consider dividing the plants you already have, instead of planting seed.

My asparagus roots were about 15-18 inches cubed when I moved them out of my vegetable garden and into a dedicated asparagus bed. Massive! So I divided each crown in half (of the largest roots) and got many more plants. I got a good harvest the following year, and a great harvest annually thereafter. They're greedy feeders: give them lots of compost/manure/fertilizer all through the season.

Good luck!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3546627

Free, if you have an old type asparagus ( male and female plants) the fruit will look like a small red berry on the ferns. Most of the time these will self seed and little volunteers will pop up around the asparagus bed. You can just transplant those, BUT as Andy said, it takes 3 years to harvest. Of course if you have a modern all male hybrid, the question is moot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America