Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Leaves are curling up on my azaleas

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 3, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yharden
Plant City
United States

May 28, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3545809

I need help. No one I have asked has had or seen this problem. I have older and well established azalea beds. They bloomed very well this season, but now the leaves on a lot of the plants are curling upwards.

Any ideas or suggestions as to why or what I can / should do ??????????/

thnx,

perplexed
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2007
8:28 PM

Post #3545817

Any chance you can post a picture?
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

June 6, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3582714

Perhaps they need water.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2007
9:45 AM

Post #3585700

Drought and Phytophthora Dieback have similar symptoms. If the soil feels dry when you insert a finger to a depth of 3-4" then you have a moisture problem. If the soil feels wet (not moist) then the roots could be suffering from a fungal infection called Phytophthora Dieback or root rot. In either case, the plants do not get enough moisture so they wilt and the leaves curl inward and droop. Manually check for moisture using this approach until you determine how long a watering lasts. Then set the drip or sprinkler system on such a schedule. If you live in the Plant City in Florida, the approach of summer (or your drought) could be causing the plant to need more water this time of the year.

An infestation from rhododendron stem borers is yet another possibility. They are dark colored beetles with antenna and black spots behind the eyes. The adult feeds on the underside of the leaves, causing them to curl. The larvae causes stems to wilt so prune off affected canes and throw away in the trash. Look on the leaves underside & always check by day and night.

Good luck, Luis

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America