Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Can you identify this rose?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 263
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lantana

(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2001
2:57 AM

Post #1154

Please be patient and follow this address: http://texas-rose-rustlers.com/. When you get to the home page, click on the left hand side the "Unidentified Roses". Scroll to the last one titled "Titus County Cemetery Rose" and click on the name for more information. Has anyone ever seen a rose like this? I would love to have one.
Grits
Pineville, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2001
11:24 AM

Post #50686

Lantana: What a beautiful rose! Pickering Nurseries has about 3 dark red roses, shrubs, dating back to late 1800's. One of them looks almost identical.
http://www.pickeringnurseries.com

Let us know what you think,
Grits
Semiplena
Fremont, CA

February 6, 2001
4:29 PM

Post #50740

Lantana:

Looks to be an earlier Hybrid Tea. You could get in contact with the folks at Vintage - they have the largest supply of vintage hybrid teas. http://www.vintagegardens.com

Mike
emily
New York, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2001
1:19 PM

Post #51417

The general shape of the bush, flower and foliage, the fact that it blooms when it does, and that it is described as very fragrant, makes me think it might be a bourbon. There is only one red bourbon that I know of, however, which is 'Prince Charles,' (1842), and in all the pix I've seen of that, it's more dark pink than real red. This one looks to be a REAL red. And I love the way it turns darker all the way to black -- how appropriate for a cemetary rose!

You might contact the Antique Rose Emporium, in Tyler (?), Texas -- they have a service whereby if you send them a picture and description, they will try to ID the rose for you. Call them and give them the URL above, maybe they can help. They may even already know of this rose, as Texas Rose Rustlers is a pretty well-known and respected organization. ood luck -- it's a beauty -- if you find out its name, please let us know!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2001
1:48 PM

Post #53644

Hi Lantana - Funny, I was just looking through the J & P rose catalogue and on the back cover there is a rose similar to the one you are enquiring about. Well, the colour and form look similar, but I doubt if this is it - it's a new HT called Black Magic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America