Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: Installing a Sunshine Gardenhouse (Greenhouse) on a Deck

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 64, Views: 1,718
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 28, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #3546369

This is my thread to show how I install, or attempt to install a greenhouse on an existing pressure treated deck. I looked everywhere for tips on how to do this and finally gave up. So if my experiences can help someone else have an easier time of installing their own greenhouse that would be great. I want to thank Daisyruffles (Carol) for her very helpful threads on building her Sunshine Gardenhouse. It was very helpful to me. I am going to start by showing where the greenhouse will be set up. I chose the deck, because I have very little land to put up a greenhouse, power and water are close by and it will be very convienient to use.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 28, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3546409

The Deck measures 12'X16'. My first step, since the deck was not at all level, was to cut some full length tapered shims to place under the plastic foundation pieces that came with the greenhouse. This picture shows me attaching a shim, which went from 1 1/8" on one end to zero on the other end over a span of 6 feet. I made the shims out of pressure treated wood and attached it with construction adhesive and 1 1/4" screws

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #3546425

This photo shows the foundation with leveling shims in place attached to the deck. I attached it with lots of L brackets bought at Home Depot. I screwed them to the deck and then into the plastic foundation pieces after squaring the frame.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3546437

The next step was to insulate the deck boards with 2" polystyrene (styrofoam) insulation. I needed to insulate the floor, because I am going to heat it for about six months out of the year.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3546441

Then the insulation is covered with 1/2" plywood. This is the first sheet.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #3546459

After covering the floor with plywood, it was screwed down with 3 1/2" screws and I used constuction adhesive, I cut two four inch holes in the floor for drains. I used PVC 3" to 2" couplings for drains. The holesaw that I used almost did me in. It jumped and cut a big hole in my shoe.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3546484

The next step was to seal the floor against all water. Basically it is like installing a roof on a greenhouse floor! To do this I used a product put out by a company called Acrylabs. It goes on like heavy latex paint, which you inbed a polyester fabric into. After the fabric is inbedded and the coating dries, you aply two to three more finish coats. This photo show us working with the fabric.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 9:17 AM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3546487

This is another photo of us finishing up with the fabric.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

May 29, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3546498

Watching with interest...
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3546504

This is a close up of one of the floor drains. The fabric is pulled over it, and then cut some slits in the fabric pushing it into the paint. If you are careful, the drains will be perfectly flashed, and all water will run into the drain. The floor slightly slants to that side.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3546509

Here is the completed floor.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3546539

Here is where I stop for now. The sad part of this story, which I related in Daisyruffles thread, is that after starting to put up the greenhouse, I found out that I was missing two key pieces. The upper triangle pieces that go in front and in back were missing from the shipment. I was so excited and in a hurry to get the Gardenhouse up that I did not inventory the shipment. Tomorrow I will find out how long I have to wait to get those pieces sent to me from Washington to Vermont. I decided to leave up what I had already installed (I couldn't bear to take it down), and secured it so it would not blow down. I will post tomorrow to let everyone know what Sunshine Gardenhouse has to say.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2007
7:00 AM

Post #3547742

Oh wow, that all looks great!!!
You have done a very nice job on the floor. My son was just saying today we need to put something under my base to get it more level. I thought of using wood like I see you did but am not sure how long it will last tho.
So hope it works out for you.

Also hope you get your parts real soon!

You will like the Sunshine Gardenhouse! I sure do.
Can't wait to see the rest of it!
Carol
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #3549090

This has been very interesting to watch and I hope it continues to go well for you. Looks like you put a lot of good foundation down first, which many people wouldn't have taken the time and effort to do.

I hope you hear from these people today. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the building of your GH.

Good luck,
Donna
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #3549193

Thank you for your good wishes Donna. It appears that the Sunshine Gardenhouse Company must have taken a long Memorial Day Weekend. I have left two messages and sent an email. I have heard nothing. It is very frustrating.

Doug
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2007
5:09 AM

Post #3551491

Well, darn it.
They got back to me right away. The one gal even had her message sent to her cell phone. But this was with the other company that I had ordered the greenhouse from.
Sure hope you get your part real soon!!!
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3551847

Update: Mike from Sunshine finally got back to me at 3:00PM my time. He apologized for the pieces not being there, but I still had to pay $47.30 to get it shipped to me two-day-air. Hopefully I will be able to get it assembled this weekend. Although the weather is supposed to be crummy off and on. As long as there is not a hurricane, I am going to put this thing together if it kills me. I will try to take pictures as I go along, but I think Carol's photos are hard to beat as far as the assembly process goes.

Sunshine has got to step up their inspection process so this doesn't keep happenning. I think that it probably does happen to them frequently, because of the instructions to inventory before beginning assembly in bold print and the checklist.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

May 30, 2007
12:17 PM

Post #3551968

Why did you have to pay shipping? They are the ones who sent an incomplete kit!
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3552029

I agree that it would have been best for them to pay for two-day shipping at least from a public relations standpoint, but they did not offer. They would have shipped it pony express for free, but I was not willing to wait a week to ten days. The moral of the story is when buying a Sunshine Gardenhouse, don't start work until you count every piece.
daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2007
7:26 AM

Post #3556165

Well, too bad you have to pay that shipping. I would have asked for something in exchange like a shade cloth, bench, etc.
But hope you get that part real soon. Bad weather isn't much fun to work in but...it will get done with time.

Go for it!!!

Thanks for the nice comments on the pictures but we all want to see you do it too. We get a kick out of seeing others put up a greenhouse!
So post away please!
Carol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
7:34 AM

Post #3556175

Hmmmm, great looking floor, and looks like the GH will look nifty. I haven't been watching this forum in a long time, but plan a 3 season GH here. You've given me ideas to build one on my deck, which has a roof but gets late afternoon sun, and I can add lights.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #3557282

Hip, Hip, Horray! My triangle box with the missing pieces just arrived. You gotta love those UPS men. Now I will be able to work on this over the weekend. Even if it rains off and on like it is supposed to here, I should be able to finish it. I will take and post pictures. Thank you everyone for your interest.

Doug
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:40 AM

Post #3564894

Well the greenhouse is done except for installing the bench. I will post a number of pictures and try to explain what was going on in them. I can't say it was the easiest endevor of my life. Including my base and flooring system, it took a total of 16 hours for assembly. It was easy until I got to the roof, but I will explain as I move forward. The first photo shows one of the infamous missing triangle parts.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:43 AM

Post #3564901

Inside the gardenhouse looking at one of the sides that have just been installed. The sides were easy.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:45 AM

Post #3564904

Another shot from down below just waiting for the roof installation.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3564914

This is me carrying one of the front roof panels. I have to say that I had a fair amount of trouble getting the roof panels installed. At one point, I even had three of them installed, and removed all of them to start over. It was very difficult for me to get them all squared up. I think that if there is any part of your installation that is out of level or square that by the time that you get to the roof, it is magnified many times, and you will have difficulty.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:54 AM

Post #3564922

I'm on top here (the picture is kind of dark) wrestling with something roof related. I finally got the roof panels all on so that I was pretty happy. It is definitely not perfect, but I can live with it.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #3564925

A view from inside showing the roof vent. I think that I will have to fool around with it a bit to get it to totally work the way that I want it to. The installation video shows installing the opener one way and the instructions that come with the automatic opener show doing it in a totally different way.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
11:00 AM

Post #3564929

Just another shot of the finished greenhouse looking in from the doorway.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3564935

I'm posting a couple of shots from down below looking up. Unfortunately the sky brightened up just before I shot these and the photos are dark.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3564937

Another photo from down below.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
11:33 AM

Post #3564988

This is the last photo for now. I'm very glad that it is finished. I am going to have a redwood bench on one side and a full length wire shelf on the other side. I may end up with wire shelves on both sides so that I have a place to hang plants. I'm going to actually install a great portable sink in one corner which will drain through a hose into the floor drain. The sink will be a great place to wash out pots without worrying about clogging my plumbing. I am going to run a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord inside to hook up a thermostat and a portable electric heater to. I am going to calk all the seams to try to make the greenhouse as air tight as possible to heat it economically. I'm a little concerned that the automatic vents won't close tightly enough to make this heating thing possible, but there are other options that I'm exploring.

This greenhouse thing is going to be all new for me so I will have a lot of questions to post on this forum. Once again I posted my experiences to help anyone who might want to install a greenhouse on a deck. I hope that the information will be helpful. I looked at many "hobby" greenhouse models before choosing the Sunhine model. The primary reason that I chose it was because of the extra height. Every other company's hobby greenhouse that I looked at, and there were some nice ones, were about 12" shorter both at the peak and at the wall. The extra height for me makes all the difference. It gives you a feeling of spaciousness in a small space that I could not find in other models. For anyone installing a Sunshine Gardenhouse, I suggest that you check out Daisyruffles three great threads on her installation of a 6'X12' model; it was very helpful to me.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2007
6:28 AM

Post #3568508

Yepper. Those darn roof panels were a doozy to put up.
My son had to take off a couple and redo them too. You only had 2 panels. Try 3 of them!
I think the reason why they don't fit right is because the main frame isn't level. It makes the difference totally, especially with wood. Mine aren't perfect by far but...we couldn't change anything to make them fit close to perfect either.

I am surprise that it took you so long. But my son is good at building so...that helped a lot.

Your vent looks just fine too me. It looks like it is installed the right way. The instructions for that vent are BAD! I will say that. I had played with it several times. Mine doesn't close tight either on one side. Again, reason being not level...

I would like mine to be airtight but it is far from it. Many gaps or holes everywhere. We don't get months of freezing weather so I am not too worried. If my plants can't handle it, they don't live here then! I can't afford to heat it so...
I did think of using like some thin foam like around the doors. Haven't looked into it yet.

As for the sink, etc. inside, please post pics. I always like to see what people do inside too. The sink sounds good tho. I have a small one but no drain. Better than nothing.

I love seeing someone else that has this greenhouse!

Carol
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 3, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #3570880

Carol,
I'm posting a couple pictures of the Gardenhouse with a few plants in it and the bench finished.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #3570948

This picture shows the fan that I mounted up high for circulation. Yes the greenhouse is full of holes to caulk or chink with some kind of insulation. I just noticed that where the roof panel meets the wall there are some large gaps of almost a half an inch. You can only see them when you look up from underneath. I am going in search of some different types of weather stripping tomorrow night to see if I can plug some of the leaks. Wednesday night it is supposed to dip to 35 degrees I just can't believe the horrible weather that we get in this state. I am going to eventually caulk all the joints if it ever stops raining.

Carol, speaking of bad directions, can you believe the horrible directions that came with the bench. Could they be any worse? Believe me I'm not going to be heating the greenhouse for long. My original thought was to heat it from April 15th to October 15th, but I've now changed that to May 1rst to September 15th. I would like to keep it above 50 degrees because of the kind of tropical plants that I like to grow. That is my main reason for the greenhouse. I also want to use it to grow a few flats of annuals to put into all my hanging baskets that hang on my front porch every year. I will post a picture when I get my sink installed. That could be a little while, the money is fast running out. I can't believe what I've spent on just incidentals for the greenhouse already.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3570970

One last picture.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2007
6:24 AM

Post #3572307

I love those last pictures!
I feel at home seeing these pictures, LOL

What directions? You mean that so-called piece of paper that came with the bench? LOL
Yeah right. I ended up doing my own thing as said on my own thread. I didn't like the large gap between the panels. But...

I did like the video tho. We would use my laptop outside and play it over and over to make sure we were doing it right.

Do let us know what kind of weather stripping you find to use to plug up the holes please.

Speaking of something tho. It has been so warm here which is kind of unusual in the NW, that my one dutch door won't lock now. The wood has shrunk so much that I need to totally adapt a new way to lock that darn door now! So watch out!

Go to the Goodwill or Humane for Habitat for goodies for the greenhouse.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:15 AM

Post #3624854

Finishing Touches! It took awhile, but I guess I'm finally done with the greenhouse. The next few photos will be the last I will post of my greenhouse project. I very happy with my decision to purchase this gardenhouse. I think for the money, it suited my needs better than anything else I could have found. This is a photo of the contol box, minus the cover, that I built with a cooling & heating thermostat shown.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:16 AM

Post #3624856

The control box with plants in front.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #3624867

This is what the control box controls - a 1500 watt heater and a huge fan. I bought this fan a number of years ago, and could never really use it, because it was so powerful. We use to call this fan our airplane engine fan. It does a nice job of pulling in cool air from the bottom vent and pushing out the hot air from the roof vent. I almost bought a real exhaust fan, but this serves my needs just as well, and I did not have to cut a hole in the Gardenhouse.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #3624875

The sink with running water. I found this sink on ebay; it is the best thing since sliced bread. It is better than the sink I have in the house. No more worries about clogged plumbing from potting soil down the sink!

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:27 AM

Post #3624879

Got to have a radio!

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:30 AM

Post #3624880

A couple of hooks in the ceiling for hanging plants.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:34 AM

Post #3624884

I had to install a shade cloth, because of the tropical plants that I am growing. It also helped to cut heat.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3624893

That is it. One final photo of the reason I put up the greenhouse in the first place.

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June 17, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3624925

Very nice, Hoya, but I have to correct you on one thing...
[quote]I'm finally done with the greenhouse[/quote]
Well, I hate to tell you this, but you are never really "done" with your greenhouse!

SB

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2007
12:02 PM

Post #3624930

what a great job! looks lovely as well as useful.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3625055

Thanks for the compliment darius, and yes SB, I'm sure that you are correct about never being totally "done" with it.
red_princess_71
Lilesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #3758401

ok I just love that greenhouse...so where did you get it from.. I often just lurk in this forum in hopes to one day be able to afford...and i maybe able to save my pennies for one...

Char
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2007
11:25 AM

Post #3764638

Char,

I ordered the greenhouse online from ACF Greenhouse Supply. I've had really good luck with them and have also ordered a number of accessories. I am really having a lot of fun with the greenhouse. I hope that you get yours sooner, rather than later.

Doug
ncjsgram
Barrington, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #3768354

hey doug, your greenhouse looks superbe...what a great job you did. i only have two suggestions if you like. the first is that you could try that spray insulting foam called great stuff to seal the holes. i live in an old farmhouse and it did wonders on the tiny cracks in the foundation in the basement. once it sets you can file it down so that it doesn't stick out so much. find it at any hardware or home depot type store. that second thing i would like to tell you is that i used to do a bit of commercial roofing back in the day before my knees declared war on the rest of my body, we used a product that was very similar to the "waterproofing" product that you used on your floor...a polyester fabric with a type of "paint" that was actually an acrylic coating. it looks beautiful and works for a little but the prodlem is that uv rays from the sun break down the acrylic and it starts to flake off. my suggestion would be to re-coat it periodically or even go over it with an urethane coating loaded with uv inhibitors. just a thought.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

July 23, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3768405

nc, I'm planning on doing exactly what you describe with the acrylic. I had to buy a five gallon pail of the stuff and only used a little over half of it. I first heard about the acrylic at my job; I take care of the maintenance on a large library here in VT. A salesman demonstrated the product; I bought some for some problematic leaks at the library, and fixed some very bad spots that kept the water at bay for years. If I knew how to work with rubber membrane roofing, that would have been my preferred material for the floor, but since I wanted to do the whole thing myself, I had to use what I did. The Acrylabs product was not inexpensive; I paid around $180 for it including the shipping. The salesman threw in the polyester for free.

That spray foam is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also live in a old farmhouse (175 years old to be exact). I have an old bulkhead that goes into the basement that was literally falling apart, I filled all the cracks in the field stone and rubble base with about 10 cans of that stuff, and it has kept out the water and helped hold the thing together now for about 3 years. It is really ugly from the outside, but who cares; it did the job.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

January 18, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6019220

I don't know if Hoya_24 is still out there, but I want to thank him for posting this photoessay. I have referred several people to it and it has been very helpful.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

January 18, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6019303

Thank you Stressbaby!

I'm still hanging around, and you made my day. Other than wishing my greenhouse was larger I still love it; it works great, and I look forward to using it every year. I'm very happy that my experiences with putting this thing on a deck could help someone else.

Thanks again,

Doug
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6912372

I just finished building a small addition to my Sunshine Gardenhouse. I did not use a kit, but did it all from scratch. The factory extention kit did not fit my needs, because I did not want to tear down my existing house to install it. The hardest thing to find was the polycarbonate. Getting large polycarbonate sheets trucked shipped is easy, but finding some place to UPS smaller pieces is a lot harder. I finally found a place. It was not inexpensive, but at least I didn't have to fool around with truck shipping which I hate. The place I used can be found here: http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/glazing/polysheet_small_8mm.htm

Doug

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6912379

I bought all my cedar at Lowes for a fairly cheap price. By building the addition from scratch, I was also able to incorporate an exhaust fan, which with the factory house was not really possible.

Doug

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6912396

Final picture. After building the addition, and finding a source for the materials, I feel that I could build a pretty nice cedar greenhouse from scratch without having to use the kit. Now if only VT were not so cold in the winter, and I could use the thing for more than four months a year!

Thumbnail by Hoya_24

daisyruffles
Albany, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #6913126

That looks like a very nice greenhouse, Hoya.
There is one difference from the actual Sunshine to your greenhouse tho. The Sunshine greenhouse is made out of redwood and will last its lifetime. The cedar last a very long time but redwood is longer lasting. This is one reason why I went with the Sunshine over another type like cedar.
But you did a great job on it tho. I bet you will enjoy it even if it isn't usable in the winter time in Vermont.
Carol
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

August 6, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6913609

Thanks Carol. I keep forgetting that the Sunshine is made of Redwood. It looks just like the cedar.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6914000

I am considering converting my garden shed into a green house, and adding my 6x8 Rion to it. The existing shed is 8x8, has a concrete floor, wood frame, plywood/shingled roof, and the siding is horizontal masonite planks, but there are no windows. Originally, I was going to put my Rion on that concrete slab, but I'm glad I didn't, as I would have no where to store my other garden tools and things. I'm now thinking I could pull the siding and roof off, and replace all with polycarbonate panels, but I'm at a loss for how I would secure the panels to the wood, and am concerned that the existing wood frame is not treated or cedar/redwood, etc. It's just regular framing lumber.

Any suggestions on if this would be feasible to do, or would I be better off just starting from scratch? I also thought about just installing a bunch of windows on the the shed, but even that would require reframing the structure to hold the new windows.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6922082

I think you would be better off starting from scratch. They do make cap and trim systems for installing polycarbonate that would make your structure waterproof and protect your framing from outside moisture, but the cost and logistics of ordering such a small amount would probably be prohibitive. My greenhouse is composed of a number of preassembled panels that I dadoed to accept my 6mm poly so I did not need to use the special fastening systems. If you wanted to use your existing structure, you would have to use one of these systems available here https://www.sundancesupply.com/index2.html for real a real watertight structure. In my opinion it would not be worth the effort.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2009
5:18 AM

Post #7034998

This was an awesome thread and I learned a lot and got ideas too. These are windows I have to work with, so doing lots of research.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

September 8, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7038143

Nice looking windows in very nice condition. You should be able to build a really cool looking greenhouse with those.
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7057848

I got some books at the library yesterday on greehouses and one on order that is from 2008, can't wait to get it.
I scored this today and another old singer machine yesterday for $30 and sold the top to the antique dealer for $10. I am making a plant stand this time I think or a potting bench. But this little item was only $5 and I love it, it folds flat.

Thumbnail by curvesarein

VitaVeggieMan
Clifton, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8388232

[quote="Hoya_24"]Here is the completed floor.[/quote]

I loved reading about your greenhouse project, especially how you did the floor. I'm about to do something similar. I left you a D-Mail with some questions about it.

Thanks!

Mark

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America