Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Pohnpei - "The Garden Island of Micronesia"

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 93, Views: 650
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #3547141

I'mmmmmmBaaaaack! Ha - and I bet you were hoping that you were rid of me! Not to be, I'm afraid. I decided that so many people might not be interested in these pics and stories that I would give them their own little thread. So, I hope you don't mind if I share some of this beautiful garden island with you.

This was the view from the "long house" the communal dining room, restaurant, meeting room - relaxing place, of our hotel which was on a rise about 400 ft. above sea level. Pohnpei has a fringe reef, which basically means that the area immediately surrounding the island is lagoon, then beyond the reef is ocean. The large rock formation in the background is Sochez Rock - the major landmark of this island.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3547184

Here's another shot off the long house. You can see that unlike many other islands - Pohnpei does not have a lot of beach. It is pretty much jungle/rain forest right to the waters edge.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3547207

Well, have I mentioned how much I enjoy using our island computer service?????? Guess, I'll try that one again...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3547337

JB and I are trying out a little metaphotography here. I should have gotten the pic he was taking of the gingers right outside our unit, but instead I just got him. Hmmmm, must have been holding my mouth in the wrong position or something. We were in these individual "huts" that you see here (well, almost see), thatched roofs, one main room with netting on the windows - no glass - a bathroom and a shower. Mosquito netting over the beds, but didn't really need it - bugs weren't much of a problem except down by the mangrove swamps.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3547372

This is one path down from the long house to our unit...we were actually further down than the two you can see in this photo. I have a close up of that fern wall on the right, and also many more of the orange beauty on the left.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3547405

These wild orchids are growing all over the island - everywhere - just jeering at me and saying "nanny nanny poo poo"...I plead and coax and bribe my orchids to get one stem of blooms...and here these guys are all over the place. did I mention that they are everywhere?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3547437

This is not a great picture, but I found it interesting that right in the middle of all this automotive mess, was this tall beautiful orchid. Have I mentioned that they have an omnipresent quality to them?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #3547458

Gingers of all types and varieties were common on the island. This pink is just a glimpse ...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3547489

This Poinciana just left us breathless - its a bush, not a tree - but the flowers are pink! pink with a touch of yellow/orange! It was beautiful - and I must admit, I couldn't resist gathering a few of the seed pods.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3547503

a close up:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3547524

Right across the street from the glorious pink one, was this yellow. The only yellow I have ever seen is the "dwarf". Right!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

ginger749

May 29, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #3547554

Great Pictures Shari .
I'm 30 Kilometres from the ocean.
I only get scenes like that when I drive Down to it .
So you are very lucky .
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #3547560

That's my friend Charlie - she's short, but not that short. No dwarf above. More pink ginger - the building in the background is the 2nd floor of the house!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #3547566

Hiya Kell! Just had to include all the ginger pics - thought of you every time I saw one! More to come. Am I posting too much do ya think?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #3547582

Went to lunch at a place called the OceanView...this was the patio...think it was aptly named???

Thumbnail by Islandshari

ginger749

May 29, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3547592

Not at all Shari .
A pic. Is worth a thousand words .
Keep em coming WE love them .
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
5:04 AM

Post #3547637

If you left a piece of wood anywhere on the island for a day or two, something would grow on it. Usually it was a Bird's Nest Fern, or 6, or 7...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
5:15 AM

Post #3547652

A tree fern. As you can see, there was no problem with a lack of privacy between the units...all you could see was plants, plants, more plants and a little bit of pathway or the thatch of a roof.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
5:24 AM

Post #3547666

Here's my friend Cowboy with one of the more accessible giant Bird's Nests. (He actually smiles a lot more than this - )

Thumbnail by Islandshari

ginger749

May 29, 2007
6:02 AM

Post #3547709

Hi to you CowBoy .
Shari , Do you have Parrots there ?
These get fed on the side veranda .

Thumbnail by ginger749

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:52 AM

Post #3547982

Great stuff there Shari!!! It seems that you didn't have to venture very far from the hut to capture so many varieties and colors...did you make a trek around to see what's on the other side??? Just curious...looks like you had a great time and got some lovely plant shots for the collection...Did you guys get in the water????

Welcome home, glad you're back with us...we missed you!

john
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3548416

Don't know if you got to enjoy the "swimming" but I am really jealous of my parents getting to see all that, especially before either of them knew what a ginger was!

What a beautiful place-love that outer jetty off the island :)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3549960

You are all so nice to enjoy my little pictures. Yes, there will be some underwater pics in a bit. The water was pretty murky - strong currents and pretty much mud flats all the way out to diving depth. But I'll put some out there. We visited lots of areas around the island, only about half of these are from the immediate area of our hotel. The Poncianas and orchids were taken during a walk about (looking for how to procure a driver's licence and some licence plates tee hee). Here is one of the places we stopped at during that trek:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3549993

Just beautiful, Shari ! I'm sure the things you take for granted everyday would be interesting to me at least, anyway!

So, did you guys go renew your vows while you were at the Town Hall...:)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #3550002

I wasn't going to post the building pics - this is a GARDEN site after all - but maybe a few won't hurt. here is another one; on the mission mentioned above we also went to the police station, the treasure building, the government supply office and finally the Governor's Office! Quite the "official" tour, and boy did we hear about it when we got back!!!!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3550037

Tropicanna - nope. We thought about it, but we had been walking all morning and were sweaty and grimey (sp?). We have sort of done that in many places around the world - just not officially! Check out these double hibs Cowboy had to reach UP to get close to! He's a Texan, and tells me that even Texas hibs aren't that big! (Just joshin ya Cowboy)!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3550135

Oh - I forgot to mention that the above mission was also about getting a Pohnpeian flag. DH collects flags from all the places we visit, and we finally got one from the Governor! Mr. Johnny P. David graciously found a small flag to give to my husband. Nice guy!

This is another of the plants that was all over the island. Couln't make a positive ID, but I THINK it is a member of the strelifzia family. Maybe somebody seeing these pics will know for sure. Very pretty - not as raggedy when bloom fade as Bird of Paradise. You will see them in many of the pics.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3550200

This hib was so amazing - the pic just doesn't do it justice, we came around a bend and it was about 50 yards away in the shadow of a huge mangoe tree. It just glowed! You could see it ahead, just radiating pink sunshine - gorgeous!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3550229

This will give you an idea of the area we were walking through...the paths are gravel - some stone steps - and, this was the unusual part - up by the waterfall areas (later pics) a science professor who was there said that he was looking at things that only grow in rain forests. So I wasn't kidding above when I said jungle/rainforest all around. It really was!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:13 PM

Post #3550235

Check out these taro! A truck was passing on that road in the background, and it looked so small by the ee's - I tried to get it for scale, but it went by too quickly.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3550264

This was one of my favorite trees (and favorite DH as well!). It was one of two huge Monkey Pod trees just outside the long house. A whole ecosystem in a tree! I counted at least 6 different kinds of ferns, birds, orchids, geckoes, it was amazing!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 29, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3550268

Looking up into the branches of the Monkey Pod.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #3550429

Whoa! Amazing...next time I see my dad I'm gonna kick his butt for not working there anymore!

I am amazed-wish I could identify the strelzia (??) thing, I have a white BOP, but that's it. Much harder to similate the tropics here in NC.

And Shari, you don't look like you'd be "chunky-dunkin" ,girl, please!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3551144

Remember sweetie - these are pics of Pohnpei - not Kwaj! We only dream of our gardens getting this lush!

Here is just one of the branches of that same tree - there are three Bird's Nests Ferns on the one branch. Each one would be large enough for a person to sit in!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3551197

This little guy was trying to convince us that he was a better looking geckco than the one that GEICO uses in those commercials...I think he was auditioning...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:52 AM

Post #3551247

Thought we might go for a hike up here...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #3551312

Decided on the easier way - down.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #3551353

The area around this pretty little church will give you an idea of just how lush the whole island is:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #3551774

Wow!! Gorgeous!!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3551906

Beautiful-I realize Kwaj is not as pretty as Pohnpei, but stil close enough to get there. The islands are incredible. I was most amazed by pics of Kosrae (don't want to publicize it much, sounds pretty the way it is) when my parents visited there-I actually applied to the Peace Corps and asked to go there-I never heard from anyone-lol

Dad worked with a lot of Texans and a lot of New Zealanders there, too. Interesting cultural collage.
ginger749

May 30, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3552502

Tropicanna ,
Did you know New Zealand Is an outer suburb of Sydney ???
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #3552555

That might upset someone, Kell!

I worked with a lady that moved here from NZ-she was really into NASCAR. Kinda cracked me up
ginger749

May 30, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #3552578

I can only try Tropicanna .
There are over 300,000
of them over here on the Dole. ( government assistance )
We on the other hand can't get the dole over there .
Something about a treaty ( Government Grant to a poor Nation )
That's like you feeding YOUR neighbour for free for ever .
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #3552590

why are there so many that go to AUS?

These things are tricky-we do have some similar problems here, but I'm not sure how you get a poor nation to take care of their own. Our system is nowhere near funded properly. I guess we just have to be grateful we are in economically strong nations by comparison.
ginger749

May 30, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3552622

Back in the time of Jesus .
The Jewish farmers would feed the passers by .
And they did it willingly . Same principal .
The rich should help the poor and needy .
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3552645

"The rich should help the poor and needy ."

I strongly agree, just wish it happened that way, or there was a charity requirement beyond a certain income.
It seems in many of these remote places in the world people kinda have to take care of each other the best they can-no other options. Wish we could all live somewhere that coconuts and breadfruits, etc. were plentiful :)
ginger749

May 30, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3552660

Touché .
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3552698

Surely the folks from NZ are bringing a bit of cultural flavor to AUS, I mean, nothing that would make bread rise or anything...lol
ginger749

May 30, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #3552728

Trouble with that is , they always want to sing the Haka ???
And honestly I hate it . Stirs trouble in Paradise .

http://folksong.org.nz/ka_mate/

And man they have UGLY tongues !!!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3552806

OK, Kell-tried to follow that page, but what a weird song! I tried to get an audio file, didn't work, but anyway, I suppose I'll live without hearing it.

So, since we're being cultural-I found a way to introduce you to hip-hop if this link works:
http://www.myspace.com/theroots

It should go to the first song on the playlist, but if not, click on "Livin in a new world"-this is an outfit that does their own music-they are incredible musicians live (some of the best I've ever seen!). Unfortunately, the site doesn't have some of their older stuff which is my favorite. BUT, what you need to know about hip-hop (my dad never gets this part)-you have to actually listen to the lyrics, and fast!lol
ginger749

May 30, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3552831

Ok , Here is a direct link to youtube .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNfaVocfV8
Takes a little to load .
I'll load your's while you load mine .
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
4:23 PM

Post #3552850

Now that WAS weird, Kell!

Don't know what else to say...surely there's some other cultural gem they have to offer?lol
ginger749

May 30, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3552856

So which one in the chat room is YOU .
This one I am guessing ?
Abarne™

30 May 2007 4:23 A

hi, just dropped by, I go to college, enjoy chatting .., and being in front of a camera. I am shy at first in person so trying to meet guys or girls off here. I took some pics that were rather HOT if I do say so myself. Myspace won't let us post really hot pics. If you want to see the good ones, I've uploaded a ton of pics to My Photo Album(tell me if you like my birthday suite) You have to sign up because of age verification but the sign up is 100% FREE. ( Just search for my handle "hot-n-sassy" to get my photo album page) I Hope this can help launch me to stardom! Any help and comments would be great! Thanks for peaking and have a wonderful day
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #3552882

WHAT IT THIS?
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #3552964

Heck, no-what'd you think of the music!--you hated it, I bet
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3553025

No longer watching this thread.
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3553271

I'd like to try and clear this up-lol. I doubt that Kell, or myself was trying to offend anyone, he just copied something he saw on a myspace page I sent him. I think Kell and I have ADHD and can jump subjects pretty quickly--so I can see how others might be confused.

We'll try to behave. :) If anyone would like to tell John sorry for me, I thank you.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #3553502

Boy! I go away for a few hours of sleep, and look what happens!!! Do I need to chaperone you guys allatime?!? MySpace is devilspawn...sending the evil eye...spitting between fingers...splt, splt, splt. Tis a blackhole down which people fall, never to return...its almost as bad as DG!

Ugly tongues???????

All the Kiwis I have met were friendly, warm folks with perfectly normal tongues...Kell, I think you hang around with the wrong sort of crowd. Tropicanna, don't you go letting this boy corrupt you, or I'll have to call your dad.

Now behave, both of you. Don't MAKE me stop this bus!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
8:22 PM

Post #3553715

LOL seriously, Shari!

I do sometimes feel like I need supervision, though! And I do think I opened a door to a vortex which Kell will never come out of... haven't heard from him since I sent that link-lol----And it was a band site, even--but it's so easy to end up in another place...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3553750

I/m getting back to pictures...you guys go off by yourownselves...

Some people actually plant things. I'm sure its just to get them to grow in a different spot, not a cultivation thing.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3553768

What pretty, healthy ti plants! I feel like I live off those in winter...looks like you've got some bananas there
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3553769

Do you think we need to send out a posse? I'd hate to lose him to "one of THOSE" sites . (Picture: face screwed up as if smelling something truly foul, nose in the air, and radiating snobbery). Oh, Kell, come back...send us a sign if you need help!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3553778

I already dmailed him twice-I think he's gone
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3553814

Maybe if we showed him this one: Pretty Pohnpeian girls by the side of the only road that goes around the whole island. Finally finished paving all the way around sometime last year I believe. It was Sunday, and they were probably on their way home from church. Typical clothing style for the island "dress up" occasions.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #3553837

Awww...they look just like my sister in those pretty bright colors that look wonderful on them, but are totally unflattering with my complexion...

Have any of the Marshallese women woven anything for you guys yet? They make beautiful things with palm and hibiscus
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3553885

Oh yes! When I first got back on island - last September, we were having some work done on the house - fixing leaks and such like. One of the guys doing the work brought me some things from his wife. It was like a "welcome home". Very sweet, and great work. A purse, a marmar and a picture frame.

Here's a more typical everyday type dress - t-shirt and long skirt:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #3553899

All about the name brands, isn't it..funny how it's like that all over the world

So jealous of that pretty dark skin and shiny dark hair...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3554401

Yes, Pohnpeians are a beautiful people. This is a pic of one of my carvers...its amazing how a man wearing a sarong can look dignified, but he did. Most of the guys in the carving hut weren't wearing shirts at all, so maybe that was a symbol of rank or something:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3554916

What a nice picture!
Sarongs are pretty comfortable :)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
12:37 AM

Post #3554933

Great pics!! And love the little stories with them.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3555282

Glad you liked em. I've got lots more - but its pretty much more of the same. I may post some in the individual flower forums. Anyone heard from Kell yet?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3555291

Nope, not yet.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3555364

I sure hope he's on walk-about and not lost in cyberspace somewhere.
Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

June 2, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #3564574

Guess I should share a few pics Miz Lexy took while we were "suffering" on Pohnpei...
;P)
Cowboy

Thumbnail by Lexyscb

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
8:59 AM

Post #3564799

Cowboy, I see she is an artist with the camera as well! Beautiful. Just please do me a favor, and stick to the flora and fauna, and don't post pics of us human types...I like to stick as much as possible to topic...ha ha.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
9:00 AM

Post #3564801

Ooooops...sunsets and scenery are also considered flora and fauna...wanted to make that clear!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3565461

Sigh...I might need to stay out of this forum, I've already been contemplating moving back to the beach...constant temptation-lol

Beautiful pic your wife took, cowboy
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3565531

Sorry, I just can't resist...

Trop, this should just about help you make your decision...gotta love those green flashes!!!

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #3565539

Sorry again...

Shari, I know we said one a day, but we did not say it could be one topside, one underwater...did we???

please advise, lol

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3565793

I say post as many as you want whenever. :~p
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3566550

Of course you can post as many as you want...anyone can! Geesh!!! I only said one for me, because I have to get other things done! Oh my, big misunderstanding there. Please post away!!!! John that is a gorgeous picture. Did you actually see the flash. We don't get many out here because of clouds right on the horizon nearly everyday. I think Cowboy said he had seen 5 in 9 years! I've only seen 2 in my whole life!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3566566

LOL. I will continue to post pics to drive john crazy. Pics that have nothing to do with all this.

This is part of the walkway leading to the chapel.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3566655

Lovely Pepper. Sort of prepares you for chapel with that serene walk through nature's bounty.

This is a picture of my favorite Monkey Pod tree from a distance. This is from the bridge on the other side of the long house. I just love this tree!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3566942

Nice tree!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #3567325

The Mango trees were beautiful too. I don't know how to get the whole tree in a picture...they were huge!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3567813

they say that the best way to view a green flash is through the bottom of a Heineken bottle...

just a thought...
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3568013

John, your insightful philosophy just inspires me to greater and greater achievements! Perhaps a little Captain Morgan????
MaryandLance
Baton Rouge, LA

June 4, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #3572840

Hey Shari;
Man you sure seem to be livin the life. I'm so jealous. Have you a room for rent? Seriously through I love the islands and plan on visitng Bora Bora this Jan. Maybe next year Kawajalein will be on my destination list. Thanks for the pictures
Lance
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3573469

Where's Captain Morgan? I don't get my date with him until after 5pm-lol

John, beautiful sunset pic, and everyone else keep 'em coming. There's not much spectacular to take pics of here---roadside litter, wads of chewing tobacco on the ground, kudzu...anyone up for a visit? lol

Lance, I think you have to get security clearance to go to Kwajalein if I'm not correct, but surely there's somewhere in Micronesia you could land (is there an airport in Palau?)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3575131

I tried to get Carol to join us in Pohnpei, and it was super expensive even from Hawaii. Lance - if you are going to Bora Bora - you've just GOT to visit Moorea. It is my absolute favorite of the Tahitian islands. Truly heaven on earth! It is so easy to see why the Bounty crew mutinied there! I would have too, without a doubt. The people there are the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met, and they treat visitors just like family. Never tip...it is considered rude - you wouldn't tip your sister or mother so you shouldn't tip them. That probably holds true on BB as well - unless there are more French there now.

If you wanted to visit Kwajalein you would have to get a sponsor and have your itinerary cleared by the Army, and carry your travel orders with you at all times. You can't even get on the airplane to come out here without showing your travel orders. When a plane stops here on the way to anywhere else - you have to have those orders to get off. Its a military base after all...kind of a hassel - but worth it to us.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
10:31 PM

Post #3575154

Back on Pohnpei now ...This was the view right off of our balcony...gingers, heliconia, breadfruit, hibiscus and palm trees, but notice that you can't see the unit just below us. Sound traveled well, but if it was quiet it was easy to believe we were the only people there.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2007 10:32 AM
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3575168

Well that was silly - I forgot to add the pic! D'oh!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

phoenixtropical
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3595341

Beautiful. Thanks for the adventure.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3597088

Happy to! That's it for a while I think... If anyone wants to see something in particular, or has any questions, just let me know. Looking forward to other's tropical adventures as well, so get postin!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America