Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: crape myrtle

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BrooklynMike
Brooklyn, NY

May 29, 2007
1:55 PM

Post #3548397

Hi,
I reside in Brooklyn NY, and we are having an unusually warm spring. I planted in my yard a beautiful Tonto Crepe Myrtle last week. It was 6 ft. when I planted it, and I have already observed new growth. It is beautiful and my family is very excited. I am not sure how often I should be watering it. I don't want to overdo it, but I am afraid to let it become dry. Please help. Also, if you have any other tips which will help ensure my Tonto's health, let me know. Thanks, Brooklyn Mike
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3548417

It'll need pretty regular water until it's established, if you're not sure whether to water or not, stick your finger down several inches into the soil and see if it feels dry or not, if it does then give it a drink but if it still feels moist then leave it alone. My biggest concern is going to be its hardiness--I think most Crape myrtles are only hardy to zone 7, maybe 6b and I'm not sure what zone you're in, but I think you may be colder than that?
BrooklynMike
Brooklyn, NY

May 29, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3548493

Actually, I do reside in Zone 7. I was also concerned about temperature, but was reassured that the Crape Myrtle would do well. I have observed several others in my neighborhood, and they seem to do well. If I water every day, would that be too much? Also, is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks for your help.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3549466

If you're in zone 7 it should be fine, I just figured even the coastal areas of NY were still zone 6. I wouldn't water based on a certain number of days, I would water by checking the soil to see if it's still wet a few inches down. If you have very sandy soil and your weather is warm, you may end up having to water more than once a day, but if the weather's cooler and your soil is more clay, then it could be several days in between waterings. And the watering requirements may change--your soil is what it is, but as you have warmer and cooler weather you'll have to adjust the frequency accordingly because the plant will go through water faster when it's hot. Eventually you'll probably want to fertilize it too, but for now since it's newly planted it's best to hold off on that.
BrooklynMike
Brooklyn, NY

May 30, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #3552034

Thanks for your help. It was very warm yesterday. I watered Tonto (that's what we've been calling our Crape Myrtle) in the a.m. before work, and following your advice, checked it when I got home, and it seemed dry, so I did water it again. I'm looking forward to the blooms.
Jaws2
Fort Payne, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2007
12:52 PM

Post #3552079

Years ago, the City of Decatur, GA had 15' crepe myrtles along the railroad tracks. We got down to -12 that winter and they were killed. Even the English ivy died. They cut the trees down to the ground and I was amazed at how quickly they came back. Bushier and more beautiful than ever. Good luck with Tonto. Judy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America