AuthorContent
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3551174

Okay...none of you will start this, so I will. (Never exactly been accused of being shy),

John, I expect you to jump in here with your beautiful u/w shots.

Here we have a welcoming anemone, bidding you all to enter the underwater nature show:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #3551201

The water was extremely murky, but here are some of Nemo's cousins playing around in the coral.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #3551245

Here we have a lovely Blue Star showing off his glory:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
4:03 AM

Post #3551307

I guess this Banana Nudibranch is pretty rare in other parts of the ocean.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #3551358

I think this luscious green anemone looks like it has pearls dripping from its tentacles.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 30, 2007
8:49 AM

Post #3551625

Bashful...nope not her...lol...Ok so now I'm here and will be supplementing with some additional pics of flora & fauna from our travels and from the Marshall Islands as well...I've grown orchids as a hobby since I was a teenager...dendrobiums do very well here...my phalenopsis needs a little more attention my cattleyas seem to love the island life as much as we do!
Lexyscb=me(my wife's name is Lexy & my nickname is "Cowboy" hence the Lexyscb handle!
;)
ginger749

May 30, 2007
9:51 AM

Post #3551671

Waving you a Big HI / Hello Cowboy .
From One of your cousins Down Under .
And hello to Lexy also .

Cowboy , I am assuming Lexy is your 'Better Half' ? ( I know you said Wife )

We are not shy about posting Pics. of ourselves on this thread .

Great Pics. Shari .
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
10:16 AM

Post #3551691

YeeeeeeeeHaaaawwwww! He got here! Kell, this here is my good friend Cowboy! Told you about him earlier. You too should get along just like a couple of parrots on the veranda. Cowboy - you be nice to my friend Kell - he's a cross dressin, Ducati riding , mountain hikin, gardenin fool...and he takes great pictures of MEAN looking critters!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #3551705

We just got back from a beautiful moonrise/sunset sail that Cowboy arranged for my daughter and I cuz he knew how we loved to sail - he knew cuz I been telling him so for the last week practically non-stop. Tee hee. Lexy is patient with me. See, we all have to watch what we wish for around Cowboy - cuz he thinks he's the genie in the bottle and has to grant all our wishes. Most times he comes pretty darn close too! Lexy is patient with everyone. They make a wonderful pair. Sure hope you enjoy your time here CB!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3551763

Thanks for getting this started Shari, I really wasn't sure if there was enough interest in u/w stuff to warrant a new thread but you can't win if you don't play!!!! Anyway, thanks.

Welcome cowboy and lexsy, you kids are fortunate to have such a friend as Shari, and to spend time...Looks like you had a great time with them in Phonpei...I look forward to watching all the new threads!!!

We have a nudibranch here that is not too common either, called the Purple Crowned Sea Goddess. I have seen 2 here in Cayman. This one sitting on a Strawberry Vase sponge was in 115 feet of water...ended up in deco but got the shot...(shot with film a few years ago)

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2007
11:05 AM

Post #3551771

Finally! Underwater shots!! LOL.

Hi Cowboy and welcome!!!
Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 30, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3552958

Thanks for all the welcomes and howdy's and how do you do's...as I've been trying to drop a few pics onto the thread but fighting w/ the local issues...lol...Shari knows what I mean...grrr...I'll try again then must dash off for work...

Pohnpei view looking up the Jungle valley from the falls...

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3553421

Cowboy, your pics are probably too big. Crop them down to 1600x1200 pixels and they go through better. But then it just might be our local issues,. as you say grrrrrr!

John, waaaaay cool! And can just barely see the brittle star next to it. Great shot!

Hey there Pepper! These time differences play havoc with our social lives, huh?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Tropicalmajik
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3554065

Hey Cowboy, glad you could make it! Thanks again for last night, it was a wonderful and relaxing trip!

Thumbnail by Tropicalmajik

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #3554450

DH and Cowboy went diving at a place called "Manta Road". Forgive the muddy water - but take a look:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #3554505

John, I'm waiting for some more...I know you've got them. This guy was about 2 ft over JB's head:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 30, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3554568

Too bad on the viz Shari but I do love Mantas...I had the opportunity to spend 71 minutes at 40 feet with a female named Molly a few years back...what an experience!! Only have a few images of her and will post at a later date...In the mean time, here is one of a Hawksbill Turtle that had just awakened during a night dive...

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #3554915

I am loving the pics!! Not much in views here right now. That will change in the morning when we have fog.

Here is a foggy pic I took last month.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 31, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3555073

per the request to see a pic of me with my "better half" your wish is now fulfilled...Shari...I didn't know I was a "Genie"...LOL
CB

Thumbnail by Lexyscb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3555084

Awwww! Matching outfits, lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3555102

Hey Pep - love the foggy rolling hills. Us Aries's must share a love of fog. Wish I had pics of the after effects of an ice storm we had in Colorado a few years ago. Fairy Land!!! Of course the damage that later resulted was NOT pretty, but for a few hours it was glorious.

John, your Hawksbill is a fantastic shot! We get a few of those out here, but mostly Greens. Night dives always are the best for seeing critters!

This guy is smiling at the camera :-)

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 31, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3555147

Well...the matching outfits were from our 25th anniversary vow renewal we had here on Kwaj a few years back...here's a pic of us from several years ago in the "long room" at the Village on Pohnpei...

Thumbnail by Lexyscb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3555157

We had an ice storm in 02 and earlier this year. Beautiful to look at but a pain to clean up after and drive in. I put my truck in the ditch countless times this past winter because of the ice. Almost went into the lake at work one day too. Luckily went on the other side of the dam where there was land. It was scary though.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #3555158

lol. Hiding from the camera I see.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3555169

CB - what a great pic! Was that down at Coral Sands? Maybe the guy up above was smilin at YOU! Yep, a Genie! You make things happen that others say is impossible. Just love that about you. Glad you got the pic thing figured out.

This one would only pose in profile...I think he must have been keepin one eye on the Cowboy!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 31, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3555175

Well...we are in the witness protection program... (jking)
Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

May 31, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3555190

actually it was taken @ Camp Hamilton...by Scott's girlfriend...I'm looking for more pics I already have "sized" to send ...
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3555251

confused here...have a good night all

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3555259

Pep - Cowboy's comment about the wittness protection program is what we say to people who complain about living out here. Why else would they be in a place they hate so much. Wish they would go so there'd be more room for those of us who LOVE it here!

John, How did you know her name was Molly??? We have a Frankenstein - large silvertip shark oceanside - but we called him that. He never introduced himself.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3555265

John, we got sidetracked as we sometimes do. lol. Don't worry, we will wind our way back to the original topic after we cover everything else. :~)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3555272

That shark is close!! And big!! lol

The witness program thing makes sense. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3555311

No, no...that wasn't Frankenstein! That was just another Manta. Sorry for the confusion. here are some sharks:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
2:00 AM

Post #3555320

LOL. Was kinda hard to tell in that pic.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3555382

Sorry bout that...I tend to carry on our conversations in my head, and get way ahead of the picture stuff.

John...come back! Is it really bed time there? Sheesh - these time differentials give me indigestion!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3556386

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program, Nature's underwater gardens...

should this thread include everything underwater???? Fish, mammals, plants, corals, etc...???? Just want to get it right and not get into any more trouble...

Cup coral, night feeder...

john

Thumbnail by caribblue

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3557443

Amazing u/w pictures and a beautiful and happy couple - thanks for sharing your bounty with us!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3558312

Friend John. My vote would be that anything you think might be of interest and is underwater would fit into this thread. After all, some of the most beautiful pics involve coral, and anemones, etc., all of which look like plants - but are really animals. So...whereever the muse takes you is perfectly all right with me. Let any dissenters speak now, or forever be forced to look at pics they don't want to see (????? - they don't have to look!!!!).

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3558364

Shari, we don't have those kind of triggers here...what kind is it...I have always been a fan of polka dots!!!! even on fish!!!

I will post one image per day...maybe that will keep the threads curiosity going...probably wont run out of pix to post...been at it a while and still shooting!!!!

aurabest,
j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #3558422

Funny - that's kind of what I was thinking - I would post one a day! Great minds really do think alike! Ha Ha.

This is a Clown Trigger fish - Balistoides Conspicillum - I lost some of the pic when I sized it for here, but he's munching on the tiny critters in the coral. Very territorial, and have been known to attack when nesting. I say have been known...yeah - by me! I was introducing a newbie to the wonders of snorkeling, and one of these guys (actually I believe it was a Picasso) followed us back to shore and bit my ankle. They have VERY sharp teeth. Another one bit through a woman's regulator a few months ago. Of course that one was much larger than the one that bit me. I think I heard it was around 20-25 lbs. Triggers that large are not a common sight out here. We actually have warnings when the triggers are nesting, and don't let the kids go in the water.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #3563845

hey everyone...i have given up on saying good mornin...evenin...day...whatever because while i type this some of you are having dreams of gigantic blossoms taking over your garden, the neighborhood kids spit out seeds of weeds that no chemical known can destroy, some trying to find the finest ground sumatra beans for the morning rush...etc...sorry, i got there myself just now...anyway, here is my addition for the day, enjoy!!

pair of juvenile spotted drums...my absolute favorite!!!!

aurabest,
j

p.s. Officially Atlantic Hurricane Season!!!! just what we need...another reason to party...!!!!

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3563871

Wow!! A great pic!!! In the thumbnail it looks like a map showing where the jet streams or something else are. But the big pic shows a great underwater world. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #3563927

John - Amazing! I don't think I have ever seen those before! Waaaay cool. Yep...I think we should all just say "Howdy"...our hours are completely awkward.

Howdy Pep! Here's one for ya:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3563954

Shari, that one is really weird. lol. The head looks like a turtle, the body like a tube and the back like a whistle or a bottle opening. I don't know what to think about that one. LOL
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3563992

For those that don't know...different bodies of water around the planet host completely different fish, coral, mammals...etc...I can probably speak for Shari here and say that we and others will post underwater shots of our own neighborhoods and none of them will be the same...we have fish that Shari's fish eat for a snack, but we may have a little bit better viz on any given day...whatever...just to be able to dive and shoot photos, regardless of viz or current or temp...we are happy to share these pix and can only hope that it might inspire others to learn to dive...there is an entire new world awaiting you...get out there and explore!!!!

( shari, that is you one post for the day, by the way...))))) I could go mad here...that looks like some kind of trumpet fish...i can tell that this will get out of hand...did you get my dmail about the contact list???))))) and the other thing???

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3564008

Thanks john for saying trumpet fish! I kept thinking that it reminded me of something and my mind wouldn't click in. lol.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3564351

I believe it is a wrase of some sort...my DH will tell me when he gets home...he's the expert, I just sit back and say "Ooooh how pretty!" Yes I know its my one for the day, but you posted an odd one so I did too. Got your messages, and just got your contact. WooooHoooo!!!!
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #3564391

I must ask. What is viz?

Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

June 2, 2007
4:29 AM

Post #3564557

viz = divers/snorkelers term for visibility...we whine like babies when our viz here is less than 100 feet uw...our viz is most always 100"PLUS!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
9:10 AM

Post #3564809

Yep...it was a trumpet fish.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 2, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #3566688

Hi everyone. It's Sunday morning for me, DH is still snoozin, and the island is sunny and quiet. Thought I'd post this cute little starfish today...there are so very many different types of starfish...and this guy reminded me of something out of a cartoon...all plump and perky...enjoy!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #3566916

Love that starfish pic!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3567330

Glad you like it Pepper! Always happy to hear a smile!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
2:34 AM

Post #3567842

I agree Shari...it does sort of have that Pillsbury Doughboyish kind of look...all plump and happy...just like me...all plump and happy...we have a lot of sea cushions here..and many varieties of brittle stars...thanks for sharing!!!

aurabest,
john

these two ruby brittle stars are ...well...umm...ah, you know

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3567920

Oh My Goodness!!!!! Am I glad I saw the title of this thread pass through the recently posted stuff. Incredible photos you all are posting!!! I wanna know who imposed the limit of one per day photos. I could look at this world all day long (through y'all's eyes). All of these creatures are things that most of the folks here on Dave's have never seen. Thank you Islanders for sharing your beautiful world with us.

Please forgive my geographical ignorance, but where in the world are Marshall Islands?

Janet
wriggling my eyebrows (wondering what some of these creatures would look like created from copper and beads)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3568040

Oh Janet...I do hope we have inspired you to create something wonderful! But if so, you absolutely MUST post pics HERE!

I started the "one a day" and John sort of said the same thing...we have so many pictures that we could spend all day posting and never get anything else necessary in life done. I'm so glad you dropped by to take a look.

The Marshall Islands are pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. If you drew a triangle between Honolulu, Darwin, AUS and Tokyo, we would be right in the middle of the triangle.

Where is Beaumont? I'm sure Cowboy knows, since he's from Texas...I have family down in Brownsville, but I'm not really up on Texas geography much.

Once again, welcome to our watery world.
Lexyscb
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands

June 3, 2007
3:42 AM

Post #3568103

Janet...hope you enjoy all of the pics they've been posting as I'm busy resizing pics we have...we're from Calvert Texas right up the road from Bryan/College Station...yes I know Beaumont...my Dad's a swamp rat and was born in Port Neches...we have lots of family still in the "Golden Triangle" area in Texas...now for where we are...picture in your mind a triangle from Japan to Australia and then Hawaii...inside that triangle almost in the middle would be the Marshall Islands...CB&L
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #3568133

LOL.. I guess we posted at the same time! So, Janet, now that you have the triangle liberally described, do you have an idea of where we are??? Don't blink, you'll miss us. Our little island of Kwajalein is 1/2 mile wide by 31/2 - 4 miles long. You could call us a Texas rubber ducky, since things grow so big there!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3568162

Sounds to me like a wonderful place. Paradise!

My Goodness it's a small world CB & L. Thanks to all of you for broadening the world inside my brain with your wonderful images. Much better than sitting there watching National Geographic! Well, OK, that MAY be a stretch. But I think you all know what I mean. :-)

I'll be sure to share this thread with my sister. She and I make copper sculptures from our imaginations mainly. She will appreciate this underwater "tour" as much as I am.

Just so I'll fit in here, I'll tell you that I've been on a glass bottom boat on my honeymoon almost 30 years ago. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Janet
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
11:10 AM

Post #3568717

Welcome Janet, good morning everyone!!

I too would like to see your crafts made in the likeness of some of the creatures we photograph. The sea has some really unique creatures as we all see. Glad to be able to share some with y'all. Tell your sister to stop by and say howdy!!

aurabest,
john

Longlure Frogfish

Thumbnail by caribblue

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #3568865

Thanks John, I'll be sure to tell her.

That vivid Frogfish seems to be unhappy about something. Does he ever smile?

You all must have incredible cameras or else the water is just much clearer there. Whatever the case, your photographs are just marvelous!

Janet

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3569021

not to mention the thousands of rolls of film over the years...

thanks for the praise and thanks for watching this cool thread!!

john
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3570121

That frogfish does look to be frowning. lol. Love the red on him though.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3570368

Great Longlure John! Hiya everyone! (Including those who just lurk!) :-) It's our Monday morning here, which is the second day of our weekend so that we match stateside. DH is playing racquetball, I'm catching up on my DG friends, and then we will join friends and family for brunch up at the chow hall. It has turned into a routine, that we all miss, should something come up and we can't make it. The food is good - not great - but the comraderie and laughter more than make up for any culinary inadequacies. Hope you all got to enjoy some time under that glorious moon last night! Here is a sample of our giant clams...a protected species out here. John, I don't keep up with the laws in other oceans...are yours protected as well?

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3570415

I don't know if they protect clams around the U.S or not. I know they hate protecting anything that is edible and popular cause they lose out on money but slowly but surely are learning that they are better off if they work to keep the populations stable but still satisfy everyone's hunger for seafood.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
10:05 PM

Post #3570464

We visited a giant clam farm on Kosrae last year...it was fascinating - saw the babies that you have to look at through a microscope, and then saw them in huge tanks separated by age and color! all the way up to 5 and 6 feet across! Magnificent! This marine biologist out there was working with a grant to replenish the giant clams around Kosrae...they had been harvested almost to extinction! We have a much smaler program here, but we are competing with the Marshallese Government who has a farm on an outer island - to harvest and sell the meat!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3570805

Wow!!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3571598

Hey guys!!!

We have many laws governing different species here...Turtles are protected, but, the Turtle Farm raises a certain number every year for harvest...Blue Iguanas-protected. Certain species of grouper...Conch and Lobster have seasons with limits...but like everywhere else, laws are broken, poaching takes place, lobster out of season..etc...In all the marine parks, you cannot collect, touch, molest etc anything in the marine environment... I shoot everything with a Nikon and buy my fish from fishermen...

Shari, those giant clams are the coolest!!!! we have nothing like that here in Cayman...these are the clams we have...pictured is a rough file clam aka "flaming scallop"

j

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3572086

John - once again your picture is amazing! We have these scallops out here as well - but no pics as close as this. I could post waaay too many giant clams, but instead thought I'd share this cute little Regal Angelfish...when we are down there, diving or snorkeling, they come right up to us and butt up against our masks...then swim over to where they want us to turn a rock or a piece of coral to get at the goodies underneath. Since we have no tourism out here, and no one fishes much in the lagoon, the fish are not afraid of us, and just join right in on the fun!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

smartlung
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #3572929

Beautiful Pics! Its interesting i've been looking at this post this morning and happened to talk with my boss who lives in Miami and usually goes out fishing on the weekend. I asked him about the weekend catch - he said it was not good enough for photos but got some good dolphin photos and caught some sea turtles mating. Thought it might add to the thread...

Thumbnail by smartlung

smartlung
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3572939

Heres one of the dolphin photos

Thumbnail by smartlung

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3575202

Great shots smartlung! Thanks for joining in here! Check out these funny looking pipe sponges...it's always amazing what you can see in the water!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3575246

Love the Shots Smartlung...

The mating turtles are great...we have alot of turtle here...making a comeback since they are protected now and the Turtle Farm is on game in the release program...sadly for us, we get a pod of dolphins occasionally but there isn't a food source to sustain them so they move on...I was able to get some shots on a trip to the Northwest Bahamas with my bride in late '05...thanks for sharing...and welcome!!

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3575287

Hope you don't mind...

I just ran across this old image of a friend from year's ago...shot on film, just learning about strobe/subject placement...sorry the diver is not illuminated but note that he has prostetic legs...no limits in diving!!!! He is a real inspiration...thankful for the chance to be his dive buddy!!!!

I'm in the mood tonight...will most certainly break my one image per day promise i made to my own self...sorry...lol

We call them tube sponge here...come in a variety of color, shape, and size as you can see from Shari's light blue ones to these purple ones...these are in 100 feet of sea...enjoy!

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #3575298

Shari, you guys seen any seahorse 'round them parts?????

j
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2007
11:23 PM

Post #3575307

islandgirlie...fire up that yahoo thing...standin by...

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3575622

All fired up Cap'n...standing by...yes we get seahorses...I'm trying to find some pics...got a lot to look through. While I'm looking I thought you might enjoy watching these Threestripe Fusilier's playing in the coral.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2007

Post #3575893

Oooh, great pics!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3575929

Pepper darlin - you are so easy to please! You sound like you are watching fireworks...ooooh,,, aaaaah...wow! Make me smile everytime I see your posts. Thanks for enjoying our pics...but chime in here! We have made it to 2 pages in 2 weeks. And they said it wouldn't last...HAH!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #3576281

okay. last one for the day and I'm turning in...congrats to all of us for making the tropical gardening forum so much fun for so many!!! sea you kids tomorrow!!!!

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3576397

Oh John, he's exquisite! You take such great pictures! Now I'm watching fireworks! Ooooh! Aaaah! Wow! Can't top that, so I'll go with a LionFish...He's watching you!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2007
11:09 AM

Post #3576971

LOL. Shari you said it all for me.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 5, 2007
10:55 PM

Post #3579830

my friend the red-lipped blenny is watching too...guarding his house and just poked his head out to check me out!!!

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #3580140

I'm hearing that Little Mermaid song, "Under the Sea"! HAHAHAHAHA Great photography folks!

OK I cheated. I didn't take this on any island. And I didn't go UNDER the water %^} but took this over the weekend at the Conservatory here in town. That fella with the black, in the center was probably 18-20" long. I wish the picture had turned out clearer. I think they might have had a problem with me getting into the pond. HAHAHAHA

Janet

Hmmmm... I just noticed the "Other Tropical Gardening Threads you might be interested in:" at the bottom there. That would be an excellent feature throughout Dave's. Is this available anywhere else on Dave's? Has it always been there and I just missed it?

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3580247

Janet - Koi? In Texas?? Cool! Ya know, I didn't know what you were refering to there about the "other threads"...that is a neat feature! I don't remember seeing it before. But I think its great!

John, your Blenny looks just as if he wanted to come out and give you a big kiss! Talk about red lipped!!! Great shot as usual. This is a little dark - but if you look close at the rocks, you will see a Moray just peeking out. He and this nurse shark stayed in those relative positions for about 15-20 minutes! Would love to know what they were talking about!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3580279

I've seen few of them here. I used to have some in my back yard pond, but alas, hubby put the fish back into the pond before it was time (while I was out getting the chemicals) and they all went belly-up. (sniff, sniff) Since that time, the pond buckled in half during the hurricane. One of these days, I'm going to have another pond.

I just checked in the Davesgarden forum and found that it's something Dave added today. I thought to myself, surely I would have noticed it before. I also checked the other forums and the feature is there too.

I wonder if your creatures up there were having an attitude contest to see who'd blink first! HAHAHA
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #3581041

I'm gonna go to the Dave's Garden Forum and thank him/them. I think its a cool new feature!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #3582112

I am glad to see the links at the bottom too!!! Thanks Dave and Terry, and all the rest of the folks that make this such a great site! Glad to be a member!!!!

Okay, today's pic, one of our favorite dive sites in the world. Babylon. Located on the North Wall and is spectacular. We dive it as a shore dive but it is a long kick on the surface but well worth the swim when you finally reach it...The sponge life here is incredible and black coral is still fairly common, although disappearing from jewelry makers...we are having to go deeper and deeper to see it...

Here is one from down the wall a ways, my bride in the background, brown tube sponge, red rope sponge, deep sea gorgonian...etc...

john

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2007
8:39 PM

Post #3583584

Way cool John! In looking through some pics I found this unusual guy...thought you might like to see...kind of a washed out pic - but in the blow up you can see him clearly...a Spotted Unicornfish swimming around the table coral...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 6, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3583982

'That's a cool fish!!! I looks like a member of the trunkfish family...spotted, cow, honeycomb, smooth...same body shape and apparent size...good find!!! Dang..can't find my trunkfish shots...oh well, try this burrfish on until i find the trunk file...

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3584488

That burrfish would fit right in at work. lol. He looks jurastic. That's our theme this year. lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3584594

This thread is perfectly beautiful. Incredible that we are worlds away and can share in an instant. Have been in Calvert, Texas. How does one wind up in the Pacific Ocean from there. I don't remember that Calvert even had its own high school. Whatever, thank you again and again for reminding me that we live on an incredible planet and our backyards are broad as the horizon.

Christi Lou
BTW I have started a very, very very very small water feature just this week. A 2.4.6 galvanized stock trough. Yesterday added 5 baby koi from wallyworld. What a contrast.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 7, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3584937

Christi Lou, you will enjoy your koi just as much as we enjoy our critters. You work with what you have.LOL. I know Cowboy will be answering you soon about Texas, so I'll leave that up to him. He told me last night that he was busy resizing his pictures, so that he can post em. Good thing, cuz I'm running out. (well, almost). Thanks for joining in here! Love the company.

John, love the burrfish! We have burr, box and puffers out here too. Thought I'd change my pace a little and move on to shells...here's a pretty Turban, with the eye.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 8, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #3592638

Hey all...It's Friday!!!! yeah, glad to be able to work on important things now for the next few days...gardening, diving, some more diving...and, maybe load up the Nikon and get something new...I wont run out of images to post here for quite some time but maybe something fresh...like, pic of the day, today stuff would work for me...we receive praise for any images posted but are there any specific requests of any certain fish, shell, coral, anenome, mammal, etc. that anyone would like to see...I guess I need guidance for just posting any old pic stuck on the hard drive...if you leave it up to me, you will get something different with each post...please advise or not, and I will post something, but might not follow any kind of pattern...and the pic of the day from me is:

Neck Crab

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #3592733

John, I'm just tickled to death to see whatever you folks want to show me. It's most likely the only way I'll ever get to see your world under the sea.

Your creatures are so exotic to view. So far, you all have done a marvelous job of giving us a lovely mix of everything.

Enjoy your diving and come back to show us what you saw. :-)

Janet
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3592864

Boy, a whole day with nobody posting anything here! I'm crushed. I've been real busy, and I log on expecting tons of comments...and ...gee! John, I'm sure glad you're keeping up your end. Come on folx...let's see some underwater pics...I KNOW that John and I aren't the only ones...Cowboy - you got your's re-sized yet???? We want to see! Here's a cutie pie peeking out from his anemone home...enjoy!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2007

Post #3592982

Hi guys!! I just got home not too long ago so I am just now posting. I went to a friend's house and got skunked by one of her dogs. LOL. I smell like a skunk now.

Keep posting whatever you take pics of. I will try to take a pic of a fish for you guys tomorrow. Goin fishing!! Whoo hoo!! LOL. Not underwater but it's related so I have to get a good one.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007

Post #3593025

Hiya Pep! Been missin ya! You are always welcome here, pics or no pics...but if you catch a pretty fish - take a photo and then let him go. I keep telling my SIL - I only eat the ugly ones!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3593080

LOL. I always catch and release. I let some former coworkers of mine get the good eating ones. And in my opinion almost all freshwater fish are ugly. Especially the century old catfish. Ugly buggers. lol
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #3593735

Just got in. Grandson had graduation tonight and couldn't miss that...65 miles south of here...tomorrow night dance recital for grandaughter 100 mile northwest. Another long evening but wouldn't take for it. As to the pictures, any and everything is fine with me. Am totally mesmerized by the beauty that you get to see first hand. Take care. Will be watching.

LouC
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007
5:31 AM

Post #3593868

Talk about ugly...this guy is eeewwwh gggllyy!

Lou - can't miss those grandkid things...they are waaay more important than anything you could be doin here. May be a drive, but worth that and more, right?!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3594591

Hey all, we got ugly here too, and not just when looking in the mirror...lol...

speaking of catfish, this pic is of a Toadfish. I believe that they are only found in Cozumel Mexico...I was there a couple of years ago and found this guy...Notice his catfish-like whiskers!! Also, notice his stripes that even go through his eyes!!! I don't know if he is totally ugly 'cause those stripes are cool!!!

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #3594677

I just noticed, mr. toadfish was the 100th post on this thread!!! We're doing good here kids...and as Shari has asked, get out there and shoot some shots...are we the only u/w photographers here????

j
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3594687

thank you again and again for sharing nature's unbelievable beauty...I believe it is said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...that said they are all beautiful.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 9, 2007
3:12 PM

Post #3594726

LouC you are too right in that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and our underwater planet is truly beautiful..as divers, we see some really spectacular sites and have interacted with some unbelievable creatures. I am happy to share some images here with the hopes that some of you will look into learning to dive...the more people learn and gain respect for the beauty, the better chances the reef systems of the world have to survive...

Thanks for taking the time to share on this thread,

aurabest,
john

This message was edited Jun 9, 2007 10:19 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3595887

Actually, I never learned to swim. I am 65+ and done many water sports in my day but with plenty of "life jackets" to go with it. Took swim lessons almost every summer of my life but am very poorly coordinated. I appreciate you and your friends beyond measure. The courage it takes is beyond me. Just know that I and others are here cheering you on and appreciating your skills. Thank you for sharing as I fantasize of what might have been. Our creator puts all of us in the place where we may best serve Him. Your pictures are fantastic. Anything you choose to post will be more than good. God bless you and keep watch over you.
LouC
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007

Post #3596612

Hey everyone!!

Hope this finds you well...Katie and I shot an underwater wedding today...what a blast. The happy couple had come to us a few weeks ago and inquired about how to do it as Katie and I had an underwater ceremony as part of our celebration a few years ago...our's was a bit different as we shared a single tank, full gown, vows lamenated, etc...today's ceremony was at the same location as ours, with the mermaid offering her blessing on them as she did for us...Here is a pic of Katie and I during the moment...(you guys said..."anything underwater")

john

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007

Post #3596631

oh, i forgot to mention...

the flowers in Katie's bouquet were of the plastic variety...the bride's flowers today were fresh cut...an angel fish and a yellowtail snapper would not let the poor girl alone...plucked the bouquet clean during the entire ceremony...I shot video and still...when I get the shots together I can post some of these fish eating the flowers...sad for them but quite commical just the same...we all cracked up watching them...have you ever tried to swat a fish???? lol...

aurabest,
john
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2007
1:38 AM

Post #3596647

Oh my goodness! I love it!!!! John, you are a one of a kind dude! I can't wait to see the ones you took today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3596691

ROTFL!! My eyes are watering and burning now!! Thanks alot John!! LOL. I agree with Janet, can't wait to see today's pics.

I took a ton of pics when I went fishing awhile ago. Will post them tomorrow. My dad caught one fish and it was a baby. Very few nibbles out there. Lots of people out on boats and they weren't catching anything either.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3596728

Katie just informed me that the flowers the fish could not resist today were Asta Maria's (sp)...I mean to tell you these fish attacked the bouquet...i didn't mean to laugh but it was hysterical...the bride connected with a couple of right jabs but they kept coming back...once we placed the flowers in the mermaid's hand, albeit without blooms, the fish finally eased up and we finished the ceremony...glad to bring tears to your eyes Pep!!!

john
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3596740

LOL. I just can picture it so perfectly.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3596784

okay, last one for tonight...about halfway through our ceremony, the Atlantis Submarine appeared out of the blue, full of tourists, and the looks on their faces when they witnessed our wedding taking place was the coolest. Katie and I did our "Walk down the Isle" as we say, around the sub for all of them to see...we even tossed the plastic bouquet to the pilot of the sub...They still mention the wedding in their briefings to guests when they tell them what they might see on the trip...a copy of this image used to hang in Atlantis' office but not sure if it's still there or not...Hurricane Ivan took alot of things from alot of people...anyway, thanks for letting Katie and I share this with y'all...catch you kids tomorrow...

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3596789

That's a great picture!!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #3596961

WOW...I have had the most wonderful adventure reading this thread...meeting Cowboy and "better half"...great photos of underwater!!! When we sailed thru the S. Pacific we did a lot of snorkeling which we both prefer and I remember unbelievable areas in Fiji where we had to get VERY special permission from the President to visit. Pristine gardens of coral and masses of brilliant fish big and small and only about 20 feet at the deepest... No underwater cameras...just all in my heart!

Thanks Shari and John and all of you who contributed...WOW.

Carol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3597141

Hiya hiya hiya! John, you are just too cool. Katie has to let the rest of us share you! Katie - I don't think I have ever seen a prettier bride - including my daughters, whom I think are gorgeous. Wow and Wow again! That is something that is truly special...of course everyone thinks that their wedding is special, but you guys really set the barre high!
By the way, I don't think your toadfish is ugly...at least not in that picture! He is competing for "cool dude" award with you! Those stripes are awsome!

Now, for ugly not much beats the octopus. This pic is a little over exposed,,, but look for the brown mass near the middle. Granted there are some way cool looking octopi...this is NOT one of them.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3597471

Yeah, octo's are pretty ugly but are truly amazing...Did you know that they will sacrifice any and all legs to save the body??? guess what an octopus is call with no legs is called?...lol...

i have an ugly one for you...the previous longlure frogfish i posted was red...this guy is grayish-green...we found him on a rope sponge at 83 feet...Cayman is not known for it's frogfish population, these are the only 2 i've ever seen here in 13 years...over 1100 dives...it is truly special to find one and get a photograph of them. Bonaire has a bigger population of them but I have never been there...it's on the list!!

j

This message was edited Jun 10, 2007 6:50 AM

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #3597844

The thing about octopus is they have a copper/iodine blood system that allows them to change colors instantly. The common octopus that Shari posted is brown in color, that is when it is under no threat...Pictured here is a Caribbean Reef octopus that is in it's happy, just cruisin', not threatened mode...When frightened, they turn solid white, when mad, reddish brown, etc...they change color so fast it's amazing...No, it's not the mirrors!! LOL..

john

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
5:13 PM

Post #3598552

Ugh, that frogfish is U-G-L-Y. lol.

To get back to purty pictures here is where I went fishing last night.

Thumbnail by pepper23

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3598627

Hey Pep...that looks like top-water bait heaven...give me a woodchopper, 12 lb test, 6.5 foot baitcaster...WHOAH!! Come here HOSS!!! I miss that kind of fishin'...When I resided in Arkansas, did it a bunch...traded me bass boat for dive gear and cameras!!!LOL...

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #3598670

LOL. We just fish from the shore right now. Trying to talk my dad into getting a nice old john boat to take out there. Be more fun.

Here's another pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 10, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #3599462

Pep, what a wonderful place to fish, and let go of the cares of the week! Very, very nice...so peaceful!

This was a strange shot, but I like it...the fish has actually just taken a bite of dinner - but, doesn't it look like he's smiling????

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3599475

Yeah, he does look like he is smiling.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3603159

Hey Y'all ... What a Wonderful Forum this is! I remember a month or so ago reading somewhere on DG where folks were asking for a separate forum for "Tropical Gardening". I had no idea that it would be Underwater Gardens! I Love It! What a wonderful thread ... Beautiful Photo's! I have really enjoyed the chatter and pic's! I am not a diver but my hubby is and dearly loves it. He always tells me about the Beauty under the sea! This is about as close to "Beneath the Sea" as I get: Hubby has a 150 gal Marine Aquarium in our living room. I know it's not quite the same as being totally immersed in the sea with the creatures ...

Thumbnail by plantladylin

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 11, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #3603205

Nice aquarium!! Are you stocking it with anything local???? Not sure if it is legal to remove fish from the ocean in your location...Is it fresh or salt??? We can NOT collect or take anything from the sea here as it is in a lot of locations...just curious

john
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3603264

It is a Marine/Salt Water tank. We don't stock it with anything from our local area. The few fish and living corals came from a local aquarium shop. I'm not sure (without looking at a book) what area of the world these fish come from. We have a Maroon Clownfish, Naso Tang, Foxface (Rabbitfish) , some kind of Blenny (can't remember which one) and a Little Blue Damselfish. The corals are Leather Corals. And, there are a few saltwater snails ... maybe a few little red legged crabs (can't remember if he still keeps those in there). I am not the expert on these aquariums ... that's hubby's department. All I do is feed them once a day!

My husband doesn't want to put anything caught locally into the tank, because of possible contamination. There is one aquarium shop in town that the owner collects all of his salt water right here in our area, at Ponce De Leon Inlet, to use in the tanks in his store.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #3603304

If we are going to show our landlocked tropics...well, here is my itty, bitty, teeny, weeny pond that I have been assembling for the past week. Bought a larger filter/fountain today but don't have it hooked up yet. Also, several tropical plants to go into the ground to try and camoflauge the tub a little more. Have 5 2" koi, and 3 Plet...somethings (bottom suckers for the algae). In the middle of Texas...what else can u do?

Still envy the courage you have to send us back such wonderful pictures of your adventures.

LouC

Thumbnail by LouC

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3603467

That is Lovely Lou ... I have been wanting a pond in the yard and a fountain or waterfall ... some sort of water feature for a long time ... someday I will get it!

The fish you are referring to sounds like an algae eating fish named Plecotamus (not sure of spelling)... at least I rember a name sounding something like that from many years ago when we had Aquariums in the house with Fresh Water Fish! Neat fish! But, you probably won't see much of them in the pond ... they feed on the algae on the sides and bottom. Your Koi will probably grow pretty fast! Hope you don't get Heron's and Egrets around ... I've heard of folks having their pond fish become fish dinners for Birds of the Heron family! And ... sometimes Raccoons like a "Free" Meal too!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #3603817

Dont be envious, move to where the ocean is!!!! Seriously though, I absolutely love the trough/pond...the water lillies look healthy and happy, need to add, you garden is alot prettier than mine...thanks for sharing...going to be MIA for a while...look after this great underwater thread!!!

last image posted here, appropriately named, "Duelling Seahorses"

aurabest,
john and katie

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3603868

Love that seahorse!!

John, don't be gone too long!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3603903

Beautiful little creatures, the Seahorse. I remember a few years ago we had our boat over on the West Coast of Florida on vacation and we were anchored out in Sarasota Bay, in the water just enjoying the day. Another boat anchored nearby ( a family vacationing from N.Y.) they got in the water with the kids and one of them found a little Seahorse floating with it's tail twined around a piece of Seaweed. They said they were going to take it home with them and put it in the aquarium with their Goldfish! I tried to explain that it was best to leave it in it's natural home of Sarasota Bay, that it would not survive the trip to N.Y. and would die in a fresh water aquarium. I don't know if they took the little guy or not, as we pulled anchor and left the area.

I'm sure enjoying all of these photo's y'all are posting from your Lovely Islands!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3604091

look closely folks,,,seahorse(s)...there are two in the image...back to back,,,hence the name,,,dueling seahorses...

????
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3604104

I see it now!! Boy, he really blends in!!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2007

Post #3604105

bye for now
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3604109

Oh and I thought you said you would be MIA for awhile. Yet here you are. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #3604918

John - Hope all is okay with you and Katie...please come back soon!

Never did I expect this thread to generate so much interest! And fun! I love it that so many are posting pics. As Carol said somewhere... Tropical is a state of mind! I love seeing all the water features - from a tiny fountain to a trough pond to aquariums...All represent an appreciation of the beauty that results from a little H2O!

Its not courage...honestly, the hard part is not spending every possible moment under there. It is so beautiful and peaceful - no politics - no squabbles - no spoiled heiresses (ooops I didn't say that!!!!) You can see a whole society in a small piece of coral, or a dugong (like a manatee) that just wants his tummy scratched. Nope - no courage necessary.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3606008

LOL Islandshari! Maybe I should get over my fear and panic of the water and take up diving if it means no politics, no squabbles, or spoiled heiresses! (You said it first!) I know my husband tells me it's a whole nother' world under the sea! I sure do appreciate y'all posting your beautiful photo's ... maybe there will come a day when I don't panic in water over my head, but since I'm already getting old, I doubt I will ever see the underwater beauty from any other perspective other than the great photo's! So, do y'all see many Manatees in your area of the world? We have a subspecies the West Indian Manatee here in Florida! They are Awesome creatures! When we are out in the intracoastal waterway in our boat we see them ocassionally! Neat Critters! In Florida you are not allowed to interact with or touch them because their numbers are dwindling. They are still a protected species ... same goes for the Dolphin/Porpoise! Years ago we were in our boat in Sarasota Bay when a Dolphin came right up to the boat and let me pet it! There had been a restaurant on the Bay that had a Dolphin penned up behind the facility, for the Tourists to see!!??!! Laws were passed, thank Goodness and they had to release it back to the wild! Hopefully it learned to fish and feed itself. I don't know if it had been hand fed while in captivity.

Here in Florida, for many years now, there has been a problem with folks buying baby Pythons and other snakes, Iguanas and Monitor Lizards for Pets. Now, those creatures are roaming free and causing problems in some areas of the state! There have been 3 of those huge (one 6' long) Monitor Lizards captured in the Orlando area the past couple of years! Some folks end up losing their small pets to these Exotic's! When will people learn to leave certain things in the wild? I guess they seem so cute (to some folks) when they are small baby animals ... but they get big quick!

Well ... I'm getting off my soapbox now! Have a great day everyone!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3606352

AMEN! and AMEN! Couldn't agree more.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 12, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3607454

ME TOO!!!! I love it when someone else climbs on my soapbox, so I don't always have to be the "irate" one. Thank you Lin! If these people could just see what the animals look like in the wild - so free and joyous - you would think they would leave them alone...but no, they don't. Another one of the many reasons I love it out here. We have the world's largest lagoon, and virtually no tourism. No one fishes too much in the lagoon (fish eat coral - bad for humans), they fish oceanside. So our lagoon is just such an incredible place to observe nature. The critters are so used to us, that they aren't afraid, and come right up and say howdy! We are just weird looking fish to most of them...never gonna get a Moray to say howdy! And we work hard to keep it that way...the Scuba Club, school, other clubs and private citizens keep the lagoon clean - repair damage - remove dangerous predators (like the dreaded "crown of thorns"...I feel so very lucky to experience this...okay, now I'll climb down. NEXT?...
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3607548

Islandshari: You Go Girl! Your Island Paradise sounds like Heaven!

I often think it would be so wonderful to visit an area such as where you live but I am not much of a Traveler even though hubby has been a Professor of Aviation for 32 years! I would rather fly than drive but I have never been a plane longer than 2 hours at a stretch! I've had a few chances to go to Europe as well as to Hawaii but couldn't bring myself to be on an airplane for that long. :( I love to travel if I can be in the air for an hour or two and then on the ground for a bit, then get back on a plane ... unfortunately one cannot get to Europe, Hawaii, or any Pacific Island without being on an Airplane for quite a few hours! I have a thing about being on a boat in the Ocean too! I've never been on a Cruise. We have a 24' boat and I will go in the intracoastal waterways but I don't want to be off shore! Hubby goes 12 miles off shore to dive and has taken our little boat from the Fort Lauderdale area over to the Bahama Islands! I fly over and meet him. We plan on another trip to the Bahamas next summer. He, my Brother In Law and another friend will take the boat ... the ladies will fly over. We rent a house for a week and the guys go diving, some like to fish and us ladies like to shop and lay on the beach! Lots of fun! No comparison to the Islands of the Pacific though!

Back to the subject at hand. I think it's wrong to remove any native species of plants/animals from their areas just on a whim. Granted, my husband has his Salt Water Aquarium with fish that are not from our part of the world, but he would never, ever consider releasing them into the waters here. They would probably not survive, but there have been so many cases where non natives have taken over and displaced native species. We have Cuban Tree Frogs here in Florida now ... slowly making their way North and have even been reported in areas of Georgia! These Tree Frogs are eating the native frogs & lizards. We used to have hundreds of those little green anole lizards (chameleons) and the little green tree frogs. About a year ago, I noticed we didn't have many around ... then I found one of those Cuban Tree Frogs in my screened pool enclosure one day. He was actually residing in one of my decorative bird houses and would come out at night or on cloudy days. I did some research and found an article on the University of Florida website on how to humanely euthanize the critters ... felt bad about doing it and found it dead in the pool before I had a chance. Last week I found another one in my backyard in a hanging basket plant ... it jumped out and I didn't catch it. I will be on the lookout though. I want my little lizards and little tree frogs back. The Cuban Tree Frog is pretty big for a tree frog!

... Just realized I'm getting off topic and rambling here! I will stop now!

Shari, I admire you and everyone in your community who do so much for your little piece of paradise on earth! We humans have trashed our planet ... we need to all do our part to clean up our mess so future generations will have clean air and water to enjoy.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 13, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3608765

Well, as you can see by the title of this thread - I consider this place, and I'm sure John considers his - our underwater gardens. Just as I pick up trash that has been thoughtlessly tossed into my yard, we pick up trash thoughtlessly thrown into the lagoon. And enough about that!

Lin - if you are going to the Bahamas, you should consider the Caymans, and let John show you around! I empathize with your struggle with the tree frog...here the interloper is snakes from Guam. So far, so good, but we are all watchful.

Here is a pic of various forms of coral and a feather anemone all living together nicely...see, it can be done!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3610082

Would love to someday go to the Caymans ... when hubby retires in another 7 years he plans on a trawler to travel the waterways! I know the Caymans is one location he wants to visit ... I would fly over and meet him there! Only reason he goes to the Bahamas is because those Islands are so close to Florida. We usually go to the Abaco's ... him with the boat, me on an airplane! I would love to visit the Cayman Islands some day ... I've only seen pictures and it is a beautiful area.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3610309

ladylin,
I love the way you describe your trips...you in a plane and DH in the boat. lol Would make a fabulous Lucy episode. You're great.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3610378

LOL. Never thought of that ... been married for almost 38 years and never thought about our lives being like Lucy & Desi ... Yep! That's us sometimes!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 13, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #3611144

Its not the getting there - its the time spent enjoying each other once you reach your destination! In this day and age, the old adage about "its not the destination, its the journey" just no longer applies. At lease not when it comes to actual travel. In a more metaphysical sense - it probably is still quite valid, but that's a whole other thread...
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3611181

:) Yep ... sometimes it is the destination and not the journey!

But, when my husband retires we plan on selling the house, and buying a trawler but also having a townhouse. He's talking about an @ 46 foot boat, but that still won't be quite enough space for me ... hee hee ... I know I will need to get away to the townhouse and let him stay on the boat once in awhile! Too much togetherness in such close quarters of a boat for a long length of time, I'm afraid, would just be too much for me! I need my space!

:)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 13, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3611244

We know so many people who own boats (well, I DO live on an island!) - and the general consensus seems to be that the boats own them! They all seem to spend more time and money repairing the darn things than actually going anywhere in them! So be careful what you buy! But if you do buy one - maybe you can come visit!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3611267

We have a motorhome and that is our story. It is currently on the market. We have rv'd since 1966 and I want someone else to make the beds, cook, and clean the dishes. I enjoyed every single minute but my time is over. Too much work and always, always something broken that winds up costing at least $1,000. Someone told me when we bought our first MH, just think what it takes to maintain a house...now put it on wheels and hurl it down the highway at 70 mph, then add the cost of the auto...with gas at $3+...well, you get the picture. We used to pull a boat...talk about something ALWAYS BEING BROKEN. (sorry, I'm not hollering at you)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2007
8:48 PM

Post #3611338

hee hee ... I do understand! We have a 24' boat ... hubby takes good care of it and maintains it well, so we don't have any repair bills. He's had three boats since we've been married, and they get a bit larger with each "new" one. But, yes ... just like anything, all machines get old and need repairs (sorta like people)! I know it can get expensive! We have friends who've been retired for years and they have one of those really huge motor homes (like a bus size) ... really beautiful. They just took a trip this summer and broke down on their way home ... $1700 later, they made it back home. They've had numerous Motor Homes over the years too. Hubby has spoken about that as something he would like to do "after" he tires of boating! Our friends have gone all the way from Florida to Alaska and back a couple of times! With the price of fuel nowadays, it gets real tough to travel. We are going to have our boat in the Bahamas next summer and fuel over there is way higher than stateside! Hopefully it will come down a lot before too long. (Fat chance, huh?)

My dream is to retire with a little cabin in the Mountains of North Carolina in the summer and a small home here in Florida in the winter! I am hoping my "other" half will get tired of the boating thing real quick after retiring!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 14, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3612505

I don't know...I guess one could get tired of boating, but I don't think I could ever get tired of the sea!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 14, 2007

Post #3612523

Well, that was dumb...forgot the pic!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3612529

Nice ... is that a Butterfly Fish? I've lived on the coast my entire life and love looking at the sand and sea, but have the fear of being in water over my head, so I have to enjoy the view on top ... not much to view though. I guess I will just have to keep enjoying my husband telling me about reef diving and the beauty and the photo's of the underwater garden of life! And ... it is a beautiful garden!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 14, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #3612657

Lin...you can snorkel!!!! can see so much that way too! I don't dive anymore cuz of my ears, but I still enjoy the water.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #3616973

Hi again...could not stay mia for very long as I missed you guys alot...we are busy here...getting ready for my Mom to visit...having a big birthday party for her and been trying to make the place presentable...raining for the past few days and the yard is going mad...long weekend coming up so we might be able to get some fresh u/w images to share...

This Spotted Eagle Ray has had his tail biten off by something...probably a guy in a gray suit...however, still just as graceful and beautiful as ever in my opinion...

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #3616990

For those that might not know, this is a guy in a gray suit..Got an arms length before turning away from me...I think he could see himself in my dome port and wanted to check his look!!

john

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
4:51 AM

Post #3617100

We have many "men in gray suits"...but these are much more dangerous to the reef...do you have these Crown of Thorn starfish in the Caymans John? They do sooooo much damage! When we find them, we turn them over and put rocks on them. Its the only way to get rid of them - the other fish then can come and eat them.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
11:31 AM

Post #3617434

It's a shame that they do so much damage to the reef as they are pretty cool looking!!! We don't have anything like those here, what does the most damage to the reef here are people! The Cruise Ship business is very big here. Some people who take a resort course to experience scuba while on their cruise, have no idea what harm they do while standing on the coral for a snapshot with their friends...This just p*^*'s me off to see them...But what to do...Tourism accounts for a big portion of the revenue here, alot of folks count on them for earning a living...When I teach a resort course, I try my best to ensure the best buoyancy for my students to prevent any damage to the reef.

We just have to get over and dive in your pool!! You guys have some cool stuff and I would love to experience them...don't think it would hurt my portfolio either!!!

aurabest,
john

p.s. thanks for...well, you know...

this should get them wondering!!! LOL!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3617870

When you are "at arms length" are you not just terrified?
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
2:20 PM

Post #3617914

It all depends on their posture...fins pointing down, arched back, time to worry!!! As you see in the photo, this one's fins are almost straight out...not much you can do if they want a taste...back up against something if possible and sacrifice the camera if you need to...wasn't the case here at all, my wife and I had a wonderful experience with these guys...7 different ones on this particular dive...

john
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3617933

As I have said before Courage, Courage, Courage. I stand in awe of both of you and also Islandshari. Thank you for sharing a part of our planet that only a select few in the world will ever see up close and personal. God Bless you all.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 15, 2007
2:30 PM

Post #3617953

Thanks for that!!! We just love it!! Diving changed my life and I am thankful for the beauty we are surrounded with...Slowing down a bit now, have yard chores to tend and that is cutting into the dive time but still manage to get out on the weekends...the sea is close...we can be in the water in less than 5 minutes...no excuse for not going!!!

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3619885

I doubt I will ever get to dive so I am enjoying all the pictures you guys post. The pictures are great!!! And it's great hearing about your experiences down there too.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3620433

Hey everyone!! Hope this finds you well and enjoying the weekend...some still have a Friday night ahead and some have Saturday starring at them...I can't resist any longer...Katie and I have some favorite dive sites and some of the images I have posted are from those sites but I have not mentioned them...The Duelling Seahorses are from one of the favorites...Orange Canyon is another...but this place, Babylon, is a premier site on the North Wall that is magical...most people access the site via boat but we normally do it as a shore dive...a long kick on the surface, rough entry, but so worth the effort once we descend on the site...Pictured is the cut in the wall, with massive tube sponges and black coral, yeah, the stuff that black jewelry is made of...with artificial light put on it, black coral actually looks like dead Christmas trees to me, but knowing that it is a living animal just is magnificent!!! Haven't done the site in a while...maybe it's time to head out there again...

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2007
5:35 AM

Post #3620999

Hi everyone! I have felt terrible all day...have a miserable cold or something and had to work in a freezing warehouse marking handicrafts all day long! DH is at a meeting, planning the next dive trip, so I thought I'd see what is going on in DG. I went back to look at what I have posted so far, because this last shot of John's is heavenly, and I didn't want to post any repeats...pretty soon I started singing "Under the Sea...under the sea" like Janet! And I feel better! Thank you guys!!! Oh and John, uh...my pleasure...(they will definately be wonderin now!). I just love that picture!!!!!
Here is some bubble coral for your viewing pleasure...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2007
5:50 AM

Post #3621032

Lovely photos John! I only snorkle so I am very impressed with anyone who dives! Keep 'em comming!

Sorry you are feeling poorly Shari - hope you feel well soon, not good to be in airconditioning if you have a cold. We had to run an ac most of the year in Phoenix and I hated it - most people like to have it on artic temps. A hot rum toddy might make you feel better!

Jenny
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2007
5:56 AM

Post #3621038

Boy - that sounds good! I may just have one! I am going to finish up some paperwork, and then curl up and sniff while watching Grey's Anatomy. I had a ton of compost delivered this am, so that's what I'll be working with tomorrow...tonight I ain't doin nuttin!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 18, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3628797

Hey everyone!! Hope the weekend was good for all, and the Father's Day celebrations hasn't left any upset bellies this fine day...we have a public holiday today so no work for me!!! YEAH!!! Have tons of things to do here today, getting ready for Mom flying in tomorrow...big birthday party here next weekend for mom...

we removed a bunch more pandanas yesterday and the yard looks alot bigger today...they were loaded on a truck and replanted somewhere in East End...at least they are not going to the landfill like some of others I have plucked from the ground with the 4 wheel drive...anyway, that's what up here...just checking in...Katie swam the mile sea swim on Saturday, was a good work out and a great turn out this year...546 swimmers and alot of donations for various charities on island...Katie finished ahead of 110 others...not bad for a geezer she says...LOL...hard to compete against 17-18 year olds but she got 'er done!!!

A shot of Katie in a more relaxed state...

aurabest,
john

Thumbnail by caribblue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3631145

Do you realize that the coral looks like a hand? In the thumbnail it looks like it is gonna attack Katie. LOL.

Father's Day went well. Ate burnt ribs. LOL.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3631425

Hey everyone! Glad to hear that the weekends went well for everyone...uh Pep - burnt ribs? Katie girl...! You ROCK! Show them youngsters what they have to look forward to!! John - methinks your bride is part mermaid! Jenny - thanks for the good thoughts, I'm feeling fine now! Ready to rocknroll! So, what's everyone's pleasure for today?? I will post a pretty pair of racoon butterflyfish...I'm with John...if there is something that someone want's to see, or or the other of us can probably oblige...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #3631430

That fish reminds me of all the dead racoons I saw on the road yesterday. Very pretty too.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #3631448

Beautiful Butterfly Fish! We had a long nosed B'Fly Fish in our Aquarium years ago.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3631459

the dead racoons were pretty???

mad sick, head no good.

lol

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3631462

Pepper - you crack me up! They are very pretty - but they remind you of roadkill???????

Hey there Lin!!!! How's by you??
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3631471

LOL!!! I just reread what I wrote. I meant the fish were pretty and yes they look like racoons and it reminded me we had a lot of dead ones on the roads yesterday. LOL
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3631478

who wants to see fish, well, uh, makin it???
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3631482

Nice rebound! Was beginning to worry bout you!

I hate it when I resize for posting here and I lose part of the pic...there were originally two...very pretty together.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3631485

JOHN!!!!! THIS IS A FAMILY FORUM!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3631488

LOL!!!! John, behave!!! :~p
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3631504

oh, sorry...but the images are sized small...actually it is an amazing courtship...the window of opportunity to view Hamlets spawning is about 20 minutes...it happens at dusk and at no other time. i have a number of different Hamlet species in their spawning ritual...really quite fascinating...I could bore you with more details like gender and all that but maybe this is not the place...

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007

Post #3631518

LOL. Actually it sounds interesting but right now I am so tired and numb that my eyes would galze over before I even get half-way thru.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3631536

John, you just have too much knowledge in yo' head! Not boring at all, to me anyway. You know I was just pulling your chain, don't cha? Now, don't pull Mr. Sensitive again, or I'll sick my friend Katie on ya! Show Us!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007

Post #3631546

You better listen to her otherwise she might come after you.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3631565

Okay...don't want that to happen...the first pair are my favorite Hamlets as they are the most attractive to me, the Indigo Hamlets...

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007

Post #3631598

another view of the Indigo Hamlet pair

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007

Post #3631624

Incredible pictures, John! And your timing had to be so exact! Truly amazing my friend!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3631640

Thanks Shari!! Yeah, one of the cooler things I have witnessed underwater...okay, this next pair of Hamlets are called "Barred Hamlets" the last one for tonight...tomorrow i will post the "shy" hamlets...good to catch up kids, have a good night...

Thumbnail by caribblue

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007

Post #3631643

I haven't quite got the hang of this "chat room" type of conversation...I have to go get some work done, but I feel like I'm being rude...just walking away from my computer is like walking away from all of you without saying bye...I know that's what's done, but I just feel weird. So, I'm gonna say bye for now...again, marvelous pictures John.

Later everyone!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3631823

Voyeurism under the sea ... ?

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3632116

Awesome photos! All of them! WOW John. Those last mating fish were exquisite in color and looked so sensuous. Beautiful timing you have there. Thank you so much for sharing your photos.

Janet
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3632524

ditto Janet. :~)
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
11:24 AM

Post #3632570

Good morning! I am glad to see that some of you are enjoying these Hamlet shots. As mentioned, the window for shots is about 20 minutes and the time that they are wrapped around each other is about 1.5 seconds. I don't have all the Hamlet species in their spawn ritual but am working on it...for now, here is the next pair, known as "SHY" hamlets...

have a good day all..look for you kids later...

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #3632600

Please tell me National Geograpic or someone is paying you for these amazing shots. Gotta go to work today. See you later.

Christi
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3632624

I wish I could tell you that...I have been published 11 times but can't quit my day job yet...Competition is tough and I'm not sure how to do it...stay tuned though, you never know...for now I will just keep on shootin'

off to work myself

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 19, 2007

Post #3634739

But when you get rich and famous...don't forget we knew you when...
Just breathtaking John what else can I say.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
11:53 PM

Post #3635054

Yep, Shari said it best. lol.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #3635238

Gosh! They're all so vivid!!!

Janet
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3635333

I feel funny posting anything after seeing these incredible pictures of John's...but we can't all be photographic genius's. So I guess I'll go ahead and post another of my little pictures. These are Reticulated Dascyllus enjoying life amongst the bubble coral:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007

Post #3635342

Not ever gonna happen..how could I forget all of you. you folks have made my life so pleasant to live...I look forward to seeing each and everyone of you on a daily basis!!!! I am a professional mechanic for a living and can only aspire to get more of my stuff published and out in front of folks...thanks for taking the time for looking at my work...i can promise something new every day, i wont run out of images anytime soon...here is tonight's addition, getting off the voyeurism motif...hangin' out with mom...el pollo soon ready...watchin for y'all

j

Thumbnail by caribblue

caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3635361

Shari, those guys look related to Sargeant Majors or possibly Pirahhnas...they look about the size of a black crappie...pepper knows what those are...great on the grille with some friends around!!!

you keep on postin kid!!! as said, this is not a contest,,,just sharing our backyards with each other!!!

j
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3635368

Both of those are beautiful Shari and John. Shari, don't cut yourself short sweetie. Your photos are stunning. You guys bring the sea to the air and I thank you both. :-) You all really do have an underwater garden! HAHAHAHA

Something I just noticed (slapping my forehead for being so non-observant) Shari's water is green and John's is blue. In the recesses of my mind, I saw Islands and thought you all were close to each other (like neighbors). It's Cowboy that's Shari's neighbor. Right? Speaking of Cowboy, where is that rascal from Texas?

Janet
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007

Post #3635403

Shari is located in the South Pacific, off the NorthEast corner of New Zealand...is that right Miss Shari??? I am in the Cayman Islands...situated due south of Cuba, West of Jamaica, and smack dab in the middle of the Western Caribbean...the cruise ship and hurricane path...google both locations...as far as the different colors in the images..alot has to do with lighting...i shoot with 2 strobes, 16 AA batteries for both...there is a need to artificially light things underwater as water absorbs so much light in even shallow water...the color red disappears to the naked eye in 15 feet of water...

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3635443

Love all the pictures. Too bad we can't take pictures in our lakes around here. lol. Too murky.

Yeah, where did Cowboy disappear to?
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3635457

You must have an incredible camera to go along with your amazing photography skills. Thank you so much for the geography lesson. That wasn't one of my stronger subjects. My teacher slept through the class. HAHAHAHA

Edited to add: He was at least 103 years old. ROFL. Actually he was probably closer to 65. He needed his nap after lunch.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2007 8:44 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2007

Post #3635467

LOL Janet!!! And I want a camera that can cut thru the murk up here. LOL. Just kidding. I don't want to dive up here. Ugh.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3635563

Actually, if you found New Zealand on a globe or map, and went straight up to the equator, you might see us. Another way...(people seeing this for the 2nd or 3rd time can move ahead) picture a triangle between Darwin, Tokyo and Honolulu...we would be right in the middle. John is much closer to civilization than I am. Last time I talked to Cowboy he said he was resizing his pics...he is also a very busy man. Working, fishing, President of the Kwaj Scuba Club; (my dearly beloved is VP), and taking care of all the folks on Kwaj that he has adopted over the years. Spending some quality time with Ms Lexy...guess he just hasn't had a chance to get back to us. I'll put a bug in his ear next chance I get.

John - those two RD's are about the size of an adult hand. And it is definately no competition...I would know much better than to even try! I just like sharing the wonder of the sea with my DG friends.
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
2:28 AM

Post #3635673

That's what I thought looking at the RD's ...a sargeant major is about the same size and has what looks like identical shape...katie and i want to come there and have cowboy and your's show us the stuff!!!! are you guys going to be there for the next year???? and of course, I too just enjoy sharing with people that appreciate Nature and at closer look, people will soon see a real difference in our local fisheries, even though they share common water over the globe...lot's of ocean between us...thank God for Daves that brings us into each others world on a daily basis...

clown fish are something that i lack in my portfolio and you have them in abundance it seems...keep shooting them and sharing them with us...and, i am NOT apposed to begging...puleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase,

j
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3635768

Okay...I'm looking for some more Clowns...in the meantime, check this out. Ever feel like you are butting your head against a wall...I spose we all have at one time or another...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3635781

Oh Man! That poor thing probably got a killer headache from that rude awakening!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #3635793

Janet, this is what I look at when I think I'm having a bad day...could be worse!

John...do you only want to see Clown's - or are you interested in other Triggerfish as well...I have pics of Scythe, Titan (massive), and when JB gets home, I'll find the others.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3635801

BTW - John, I'm having some trouble with Messenger...did you get garbled message yesterday??
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3635889

LOL!!! Yes I did ...i thought it was some kind of Marshall Island code for "What the heck are you doing"...i thought maybe you have a foreign language keyboard and forgot to switch on the English button...LOL...the following messages came right through...then i thought,,,maybe the capt. came for a visit and your fingers moved up a notch without you noticing...just the same, always my treat to hear from you in whatever language!!!

No, not just the clowns...the triggers too and anything else we don't have...happy to see whatever you post!!! you make me and so many others smile on a daily basis...don't stop!! I wont if you wont!!!

off to horizontal...busy days ahead...goodnight friends!!

aurabest,
john
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 20, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #3636061

Good dreams of fish and flowers my friend. Island hugs to your Mom...and dear Katie. More pics tomorrow.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2007
7:13 AM

Post #3636222

Glurk... Gllurk...ggglurk... Lurker coming up for air. :~) Now if you will excuse me I think I'm goin back under to take a second look see at some of these amazing pictures,
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2007
11:00 AM

Post #3636367

LOL Zany!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3639045

Shari,

working 12 hours a day + commute but just have to check in on this thread to see what fantastic pics have been posted. The turtle is priceless and I can so relate to his condition. May I have permission to download and print just for my personal enjoyment? Would love to have this in a frame on my desk because it represents the reality of most days. Fully understand copyright and would not in the least be offended if you said no. Keep thoses pictures coming girls and boys...there is nothing to compare.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3639170

Lou...be my guest! Enjoy it - I know I do! My computer and phone was down all morning - not just mine, island-wide. Now that I am back up I want to post some clowns for John and all. But first, someone check on Zany and make sure we don't have a drowning incident here...that would be bad for DG and for us...all her other friends would come after us! And now without further ado...Clown Triggerfish:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007

Post #3639175

I would call that the polka-dot fish.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3639224

Nope - these Clown's are world famous. Triggerfish are very territorial, and can get mean when they are nesting. They have some very wicked teeth, and there are many variety's. The Clown is DH's favorite - mine is the Picasso - which I don't have a picture of. Here is another shot of a Clown:

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007

Post #3639319

Ah, now I see all the other markings. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3639372

I've got one more here...: Actually I have several more - but John must be busy with Mom's visit so that's enough of that...

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3639385

Cool fish Shari! What in the world is that hat looking thing to the SW of your last shot? Looks almost like a turtle shell covered in styrofoam nodules.

Janet
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #3639602

Its a table coral...just a very small one. these can get to be 20 feet in diameter around here, and I have heard that they get much larger in other places. It looks like a mushroom to me at this stage. Just a very big mushroom. This is a picture of a juvenile Peacock Razorfish...how would you like to have to carry that thing around on your head day in and day out???

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3639612

Not me!!!! Wicked looking, fer sure!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2007
5:14 AM

Post #3640113

Nope, not drowned yet but getting a bit water logged and wrinkled...But then at my age the wrinkles are there wet or dry.. Cyber swimming is pretty cool though. No air tanks, snorkels or fins and no need for an anchor to keep this Lil' ole fat broad, from floating to the surface. But if you see a pink whale hanging around the reef please stop by and say hello.

I sure am enjoying the tropics. Think I'll pick up some guavas, papaya and pineapple and mix up some tropical punch, BBQ some of those big shrimp they have on sale and plant a palm tree (plastic) on the patio. That way when the neighbors 3 parrots start squawking I can just think of it as jungle back ground sounds...Then I can just pretend that the wee little feeder fish in the pond are exotic clowns. Could be the most relaxing vacation ever and the price is so affordable.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 21, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3642550

There ya go Zany! Sounds perfect! Can you believe, some people out here actually have the plastic palms with lights on them????? I just can not figure that one out! This is a picture of the ilsand right across the lagoon from us, "Carlos". As you can see - it doesn't look anything at all like the one that popped out by Tonga, nor does it have a lack of palm trees! Our island is a bit bigger, and just as palm crowded. Go figure!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3643084

I absolutely adore all of the photo's y'all are posting! Thank you so much for sharing the Beauty of your Underwater Gardens!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3643285

Yeah, don't stop posting!!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2007
6:52 AM

Post #3644292

I could go and trim all the branches off the lower 300 ft or so of a redwood and just pretend it was a palm...but one of those hokey plastic ones with the lights would be fun. But to put one up in those surroundings seems downright silly!

Hmmm, now I need to select a bunch of these lovely pictures for my desktop program...
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #3644487

Is it a publishing program? Personally, I don't mind folks using some of my pictures as desktop wallpaper, screensavers, etc...I do wish that these images are not used for making prints, post cards and any other copyright infringements. Please respect the photographer's copyrights by not reproducing these images in any media. If images are to be used for any other purpose, legally you have to obtain permission from the copyright holder to use the images in any form. Just for the record. You can always contact the photographer via dmail and make requests, permissions, etc.

Respectfully,
John Ferguson

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 5:56 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2007
11:17 AM

Post #3644553

John,
Fully respect the copyright law and especially in regard to these pictures.
I really hope that you are able very soon to have a published portfolio.
The turtle that Shari posted is just so symbolic of many things in my life at this moment...butting my head against a stone wall. I would not take it to work as this is a temp job. It is for my desk here by my computer.
I asked Shari for permission as you will note in a previous post., she said "yes". If you think it would not be a good idea to set a precedent I will most certainly follow your suggestions. Thank you very much for the reminder of the copyright infringement. Well, it's off to see the Wizard.
Have a blessed day.

Christi
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #3644679

and you Christi! You did it right by asking Shari permission, and it was granted. Thank you for being the first person to ask, so many times people don't. That is the risk we take as photographers. I know alot of people that watermark the images so they can't be used but they aren't very pretty to look at...very low resolution and small in actual size. I could post smaller images too but they just don't look very nice. Thank you for asking permission publicly. Shari was more than happy to oblige!!

aurabest,
john
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3645753

Oh dear, I should have explained! Yes it is just the windows screen saver and even though it is just on my personal desk top I will ask permission when I figure out which pictures I want permission to use. I like them with the watermarks because it tells me which of my cyber friends took each one.

I would not use them for anything else without permission ever! LOL besides, anyone who knows me would know immediately that I didnt take them...the deepest water this gal gets into is the bathtub ... unless you count the hot water I get myself into occasionally ;~)
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #3645808

Thanks for that...no, you are not in hot water with me, I just wanted to clarify it as I have been "Pinched" before...not here on Daves but another time. As I have stated in the past, I try to post a large enough image for a wallpaper for anyone that wants one. If anyone would want a high resolution print of one, then that would be worked out between the person and myself, and NOT through DG's.

We are always in hot water in Cayman...sea temp is 85F now...wonderful!!!

Thanks for the post Zany and enjoy the pix!!!!

aurabest,
john
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3646037

85F is the water temp? That is awesome. Glad I'm not in hot water with you though cause I'd hate to be exiled from the tropics forums!
caribblue
West Bay
Cayman Islands
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3646161

You know, we even have those kinds of temps at depth too...meaning 100 feet deep, still right around 83-84 degrees!!!! Sometimes the temps around the sand bar and sting ray city reach almost 90...i am absolutely a warm water diver!!!

j
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3647294

I prefer warm water too. I hate it when the water is cold and I wanna be in it. I can take cold weather but not cold water. lol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3647326

Same water temps here...love that warm water! howdy folks! Our computer service has been quite erratic lately, so please don't think I'm holding on on anyone. Hiya John! How's the visit going?? Having lots of fun I hope!

All this talk about copyrights reminded me of some problems that were being had earlier on in DG...I guess some folks were reprinting pics from DG and offering the plants for sale on Ebay! Some savvy DGers' saw the pics - recognized them and got the whole scam stopped. What a great bunch here huh? I don't think we will have any problems along that score.

I thought I had started another thread on this topic...it seems like this one was getting intimidatingly long, but now I can't find it. What do you think...should we try for Nature's U/W Gardens II?

Here is a school of Bluntheaded Wrasse, and some more of the table coral - see Janet - it gets bigger and flatter.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3647360

We need a #2. I usually have no problem loading long pages but this one my computer is crying about. lol. Actually with all the problems it has been giving me, forget that and keep this one going so I can torture my computer with it.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2007

Post #3647367

I'm all for a Nature's Underwater Gardens II ... more pic's, more pic's! Please?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3647383

Ok, i'm up for it now. LOL!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3647423

WOW! You weren't kidding Shari! I'm all for #2.

I have this sound machine with nature sounds like rain forest, thunder, summer night, rain and waterfall. And then there's Ocean! Sometimes I bring the grandbabies in to sit on my lap with the ocean going and start going through this thread, telling them about the underwater world. Unfortunately, they get bored easily and fall asleep. Doggone it! HAHAHAHA That's the purpose. But subliminally, I hope they enjoy it so much they will want to dive when they are older. They are 1,2, and 3 now. :-)

Little Jolie's eyes light up when she hears the sound because she knows she will get to see the photos here.

Would you all mind if I save them to make a screen saver from for my own personal use, of course? It would sure be easier than holding and clicking to open the photos.

Janet
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3647488

You are more than welcome to use any photo I post. But in return I want one of your scuptures. LOL. Just kidding.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3647520

Bwahahahahahahahahhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh Pepper, I just sprayed iced tea all over my monitor!

As soon as Connie and I EACH have one of them, we'll be happy to make one for you! As many as we've made, neither of us has any for ourselves, but Aunt Grace, Aunt Eltie (those are special because they were the first ones) and Ms. Morphetta Nymph.

We're working on another dragonfly at this time. We're bound and determined to make OURS soon!

Janet

Poor Ms. Morphetta is being walked over by a lizard! She's watching my butterfly garden for me. The slacker! I bet that lizard ate something he shouldn't have! HAHAHAHA

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3647541

Funny you should mention iced tea. That's what I'm drinking!! LOL. Go slap the lizard. No jaywalking is allowed on Ms. Morphetta. LOL
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3647542

Fine with me...I'm flattered...but wait til John says Okay for his...he is a MUCH better photographer than my DH and I (hope my dearly beloved never reads this!), and I'm sure you will want more of his than mine.

My GD Tali is out here with her folks, she's three. LOVES the water! Her first day here, the clothes were off and she was in the water! The little waves would knock her down, and she just laughed and got right back up...never been to a beach before! Likes to help "Grumpy" find the pictures of the fish in the books to mark his photos...never seen a kid take to the oceanlife as quickly as she did.

Here is an unknown spieces of featherstar on some red coral...for more go to NUWG II !

Thumbnail by Islandshari

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #3647813

Thanks Shari. I appreciate it. The photos in here are so wonderful. ALL OF THEM!!! And to hear the stories that go along with them from all of the underwaterphotographers is just wonderful. Best of all, I'm getting educated every time I open this thread. I've nominated (in my mind) this thread as my learning "thing" of the day each day ... since we're supposed to learn something new each day. :-)
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3647863

What a nice thing to say! And John actually wondered if anyone would be interested in our little underwater gardens! I love it that we have different things in our respective ponds...that way we each get to see new things as well as all the rest. I'm so pleased that our pics are being enjoyed by others, really makes my day. Thank you for enjoying our enjoyment!!

Yokwe yuk,
Shari
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #3647893

Good Lord! You all started #2 without me!!!! I feel so "left behind"! HAHAHAHA

For those still watching THIS thread... Here's a link to #2

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/738546/
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
4:18 AM

Post #3647909

Just goes to show...you need to read the posts! Ha Ha...mentioned it up above.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3648678

Janet, you are losing it. LOL
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
3:03 PM

Post #3648714

Haven't you figured out yet Pepper that *I lost it* many years ago! HAHAHAHA
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007

Post #3649971

LOL. I lose it everyday!!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #4068781

bump
velveteena
Seattle, WA

October 16, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #4090274

Thanks to all of you for sharing all your u/w photos from paradise. Some of us know very well we were meant to stay on dry land for the most part, but still appreciate the glories that are below. I know that YOU know how privileged you are to see these creatures first-hand, and to live immersed in beauty as you are. DG has educated me more in just a few hours than I have been in all the many decades since my science classes!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

October 16, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4090314

Velveteena - I am so pleased that you enjoyed the photos...there are 5 more threads of them in this Forum...so take your time, and enjoy them at your leisure...we get off-topic a lot, but we have a lot of fun.

Yes DG is a wonderful education...I am constantly learning new things here...some I ask for, some things I just luck into. It's a fantastic experience.

Have fun!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4090681

So glad to have you join us landlocked folks that are in love with the sea,velveteena. Love your screen name. As Shari, says there are 6 threads in all. Last week I bumped them up because I was afraid new viewers would not see them. Each one is equally good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America