Hi everyone

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm so excited to have found this forum. I have been trying to garden for years now, but not very successfully. I'm hoping joining this group will help. My dad is an avid gardener, mostly vegetables, while I'm crazy about flowers. I've been through this forum and am so jealous of all of your arrangements, esp the fact that you get it from your own gardens. I do a lot of arrangements, but I buy all my flowers. There's a certain quality I love in your arrangements from the garden. It must be something that is really meaningful for you. Anyway, I will be starting a cut flower garden with my dad, and am totally open to suggestions. I can't wait!! Thanks in advance!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

A garden dedicated to cut flowers is my dream . . . alas, DH is not inclined to sacrifice even more of his lawn at this time . . . lol

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My grandmother (and I am 65) always told me one can't live without a cutting garden and I do agree with her................the very best of all worlds.....

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I am working on DH. Last year he sacrificed almost 1/3 of the lawn to put in a fragrance garden for me :-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Why do men love grass so much.....we ladies are the ones who mow anyway?????

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm lucky my dad could care less about grass. DH is in school so he could care less about it either. Fragrance garden sounds nice.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, when we bought the house in 2002 the entire yard had been neglected for about 40 years. DH rototilled all of it, hand sowed the lawn, and babied it along - fighting Japanese beetles, etc along the way. For me to brazenly ask him to tear up all that work - well, let's just say he is a really sweet guy.

eventually, I will get a cut garden - I just have to get the timing right. Right now, it is important to show that I can handle the gardens I have - which are being overrun with weeds!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

weeding is a never ending proposition.....Preen really helps me......after the plants are in you can use these granules....it is a pre-emergence and also feeds your plants....

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Seandor, DH sounds like a really sweet guy. I hate that my DH can do in an hour's work what I struggle to do in a whole day, but can't seem to tear him away from his long list of MANLY duties.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Right now the gardens are slowly being overwhelmed by weeds - and I cannot work outside in heat and humidity - everything must be done basically before 8 am, unless the day is cool and overcast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.