Photo by Melody

Daturas: Need datura suggestions - desert!

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seaechoorchids
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3553547

I live in a very hot, dry climate (S. California high desert) and would like to get a datura of some kind for a northern exposure. Can they take my searing heat of up to 112F in summer without shade? The later afternoon sun concerns me the most - it seems to get the hottest here around 4pm, and this area gets sun until dark (8:30pm right now). Also, about four hours of morning sun.

What I'm looking for is a small, compact plant (up to about 3 ft) with blooms other than white. Will I have to figure out a way to shade it, or can any of this description tolerate my sun? I also like the double and triple blooms a LOT but hear they tend to prefer shade, more or less. Any suggestions?

Randi
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3555796

Hi Randi,

Datura can take the heat with no problem. They do wilt with intense direct sun (mine wilt from about noon to 3 dst, and have a southern exposure but bounce right back once the sun moves on a bit). If you can shade them they would do best. You would also have to provide lots n lots of water. A double or triple yellow would probably be the one you want. I'd stay away from the purples since dark colors tend to absorb light and heat.

I'd also plant them in a soiless, peat based potting mix like ProMix BX and add some water retaining crystals to it.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #3556389

A triple yellow????? Who would have one of those, 24 yr. old son is still up for grabs. lol

Anne
seaechoorchids
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #3561900

Thank you! What a pretty little plant you have, and I love that yellow bloom! Well, now I'll have to figure out a way to shade it, my dwarf periwinkle and plumbago, since they also do best in part shade. The problem is providing shade without it making my yard look "trashy," if you know what I mean. Can't think of anything that would look halfway decent. Oh, what we do for our plants!

Randi
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #3561920

seaechoorchids A lot of us grow them here in the desert and our temps get near 120!!
This plant survives like a champ!!
seaechoorchids
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3564251

How about Ballerina yellow? Remember, I'm in the Calif. high desert, not Az. So we do get snow at times (only an inch or so) and the temp can occasionally go as low as 20 in winter. Marie, do you grow yours in full sun, or part shade? I'm tempted to try one!

Randi

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America