Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Need datura suggestions - desert!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I live in a very hot, dry climate (S. California high desert) and would like to get a datura of some kind for a northern exposure. Can they take my searing heat of up to 112F in summer without shade? The later afternoon sun concerns me the most - it seems to get the hottest here around 4pm, and this area gets sun until dark (8:30pm right now). Also, about four hours of morning sun.

What I'm looking for is a small, compact plant (up to about 3 ft) with blooms other than white. Will I have to figure out a way to shade it, or can any of this description tolerate my sun? I also like the double and triple blooms a LOT but hear they tend to prefer shade, more or less. Any suggestions?

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!