-
AuthorContent
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3554631

Hello everyone, it's taken a bit of time, but I think I understand how winter sowing is accomplished and why. I would like to give it a try this winter. The thing that puts me off the idea is saving, cutting, taping and moving around jugs. Do the same principles apply using a cold frame.

Can I just sow in regular pots and put in the cold frame? I've never used one and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to build.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #3554785

kqcrna posted this excerpt last year:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3210098

I think it's from this site, under the seed sowing tab:

http://theseedsite.co.uk/index.html

Some people just put old windows over a square of straw bales
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3558848

WS in vented containers is very much the same principle as using a cold frame, but you'll have to do your own watering in a cold frame (rain usually provides enough water for WS containers, at least until it starts heating up). Just as people talk about increasing the size of the vents or taking tops off WS containers as it gets warm, you'll want to be able to prop up an end up your cold frame cover for ventilation so it doesn't get broiling hot on sunny, warmer days.

You could also consider getting some clear plastic storage containers, putting holes in the top for ventilation and holes in the bottom for drainage, and then putting pots of seeds inside... I can't remember offhand who did this (very successfully) last year, but I thought it was a good idea.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #3561074

Since this will be my first year to try WS, I may use the hay bale or large clear container, both great ideas. As I put together my seed list this Summer I'm sure to have lots of questions. Thank you so much for the info.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America