Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Sheri...your wierd fruit....

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #3555993

I started a new thread because I am so confused these days ... I need BIG numbers and simple instructions... yuk yuk...

If your fruit tree blooms a beautiful magenta/brilliant pink on the trunk and the fruit is ...well...underwhelming in flavor but very crisp...

It is called here a Mountain Apple..or...Syzygium malaccense.

Does this help?
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
10:10 AM

Post #3556279

I will look those up...don't know about the fruit other than the pic...didn't try any - they were in a private yard. I did notice that the immature fruits look like lychees - that is what I thought they were until I saw the larger ones on the tree. The larger ones were about the size of a small pear, yes, very pink/magenta. Ever try one?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #3557602

Yes...we have two trees... I was/am totally UNDERwhelmed. Crisp, yes...sweet, maybe, flavorful, no. Rather bland... The tree is gorgeous when it blooms, tho. Will try to get some photos.

Carol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

May 31, 2007
8:27 PM

Post #3558341

Thanks for the info - I hate wondering about something i think I should know. And its always fun to find something you haven't seen before. Have a good day!

Shari
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3567958

Here on the petals on the Monstera leaf under it...

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3567962

And here they are on some small Neos (bromiliads) growing on the trunk...YES...totally buried!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
3:24 AM

Post #3568049

Wow - are those just dropped petals? And they keep that color???? I sure hope that's not a problem for you because its beautiful!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #3568275

I was just re-reading some posts, and I noticed that Lily said Durian fruits were very large - like jackfruit. There was this thing called a "sour sop" on Pohnpei...wish I had thought to take a picture. The fruit was used in drinks - which I thought tasted mostly like pineapple, but others were saying tasted like green onions. It was used in a dessert ice/sorbet, that several people liked very much, but I didn't taste it. Cowboy took me back into the kitchen and I saw one cut open...It was about the size of a small watermelon, but very green and dangerous looking on the outside...white fruit that had a consistency between a pineapple and a peach...small black seeds in a few lines down the middle. Does this sound familiar to anyone...Carol, John? Lily?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
5:29 AM

Post #3568424

We grow Jackfruit...they get HUGE!!! I don't much care for the consistency of the flesh...if I were starving I might make a smoothie out of it!!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #3568461

Okay - since you know durani and jackfruit...do you think my description might fit one of them? I'm gonna google "sour sop" and see what I can find. Carol - Go lay down! That's an order!!!!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3569513

...here I am...

Soursop is different from both of them... The Soursop I know has a thinner skin, is smaller and delicious!!!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 3, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #3570375

Well okay then! I learn something new everyday on this site. Thanks for the info!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America