Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poppies: 2nd year failure in a row - Unable to grow

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 8, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sublimaze1
Frisco, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3557973

I have tried to grow poppies two years in a row.

The first year, I fall sowed. I had some leafy growth, but I think the birds or bunnies ate them in the end of the 2005 calendar year.

This past year, I winter sowed - and (again) had some growth. I put them in the back of my garden (fenced and chicken wired) but they still failed.

This winter, I am thinking about indoor sowing them, but would like to know what things I should be doing, or not be doing.

I am frustrated, but not out of the game - yet! It is now a quest.

I also am not too happy to buy seedlings and transplant ... that takes the challenge out of it.

Thanks in advance.
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

May 31, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3558249

I, like you, have had no success at growing poppies. I love them, but just can't get them to grow. I've tried both transplants and seed.
sublimaze1
Frisco, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3558252

Okay, so now we have moved from a question to a plea

How do I get them to grow ??????
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3558278

First step: Find out which poppies are suitable for your zone and perhaps microclimate.

Second: Fall sow AND Spring sow. With 23 genera and some 250species something will hit.

Don't know anything about the Texas growing conditions but there are some varieties of
poppies which grow in arid regions. Don't give up, just keep trying new varieties.

good luck.
sublimaze1
Frisco, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3558963

Fall sow and spring sow?

Should I do this in a terrarium, or outside?
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3559174

I'd just sow where you want them to grow.Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Meconopsis are supposed to grow well in our area and I've seen beautiful plants in the nurseries and 'farmer's markets' but have never been able to grow them from seed, much less overwinter them, so I just quit and went to other varieties. Some battles are just not worth winning. Be sure to keep us up to date with your success.
sublimaze1
Frisco, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3559476

balvenie,

Thanks for the support. And here's the deal - I have been a proponent of the Papaver somniferum poppy. It has a little to do with my profession.

Anyway, that is the Genus/species that I am interested in growing.

What I may do is get some seeds, from like eight million cultivars (he he) and plant one set in an indoor terrarium, one set in pots outside, and one in the beds. I will dance to the poppy faries on a routine basis during these seasons, and sacrifice a bunny in the interim (note: sacrificing a chicken will not equate to the suffering I have endured, but the rabbit will certainly make me feel like I have obtained a small amount of revenge).

However, in any case, I will keep you all posted.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3559801

That is the problem!!! Don't sacrifice, toast. Of course, my choice would be a good old Single Malt Scotch, however a pepsi with the proper intonation would also suffice. Cheers.
sublimaze1
Frisco, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #3560582

He he he (LOL) balvenie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America