Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Transplanting bridal wreath

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 8, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #3563183

Someone has offered bridal wreath shrub. It is currently in bloom and know now is definitely not time to transplant but was wondering when is and any tips for doing that?
Also same person offered shrub rose only know was told is old fashioned kind. Both are very overgrown. Would also like to know when best time to transplant and any tips. Thanks for any advice!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 2, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3563722

Hi 81302, great that someone wants to pass on plants that someone else might like, the best time to do transplant is either when the foliage has died down for the season, or when they just start to show in early spring, both times will give you time to prepare both plants for the move. First your rose, do make sure that it is not deseased in any way before you take it to your garden as you may transfere this and introduce desease you dont have, next, you must prune the rose end of season OR it will be too large and go into shock trying to retain it's energy while it tries to settle into new home, the OLD fashioned shrub roses are very beautiful and have a wonderfull perfume, treat like any other rose as regards pruneing etc, when you get it into your garden, give it a lot of new compost and rose food mixed in and spread the roots out in the hole also, if any roots look broken, dead or unhealthy, snip them off as they will let desease in and effect the new re growth or cause die back at the roots.
The Bridal Wreath, is this the plant called Gypsophelia ??? if yes, then this has long tap roots normally, and likes a really rich manured/compost, damp but easy draining soil in sun, it is great for cutting and taking indoors with roses for a delicate display in a vase
try to keep as much soil around the roots as pos when you dig them both out, as the Bridal Wreath, really dont like being disturbed.
Good luck, hope you enjoy both for many years. WeeNel.
PS, why not try to take cuttings from the rose when you prune it, autumn best time, cut the woody stems into peaces about a foot long, (make sure you know the top from the bottom buy cutting the bottom on a slant and the top, straight accross, then cut a slit into a spare bit of ground, add some sand into the slit, then put the cuttings into this about 6 inch appart and 3/4 inch above ground, firm them in, by spring you should see some new buds comming on the wood, and the following year they should have enough roots so you cant transplant them, prune them and this will make the buds grow new stems, you could end up with a few free roses, Patience is required, Good luck, WeeNel.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3563878

Since it's a shrub I was assuming it's bridal wreath Spiraea. For any sort of shrub, whether it's the rose or the spiraea, my guess in your zone is that the best time to transplant is in the spring as soon as the ground's un-frozen but hopefully while the plants are still dormant. Now is not a good time as you are heading into the hot months of summer and transplanting will stress the plant, you throw hot sun on top of that and they may not survive (or at the very least they'll require a LOT of babying). The most important thing when transplanting, especially if the shrubs are somewhat large, is to dig up as much of the root ball as possible, that will ease the shock of transplanting and the plants will recover quicker. Since you mention that both are very overgrown, you might consider pruning them back now (or wait until after it stops blooming if you want), then transplant them next year in early spring.
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3565141

Thanks WeeNel! You are a mountain of fantastic and helpful information! I greatly appreciate when people pass on plants. Only draw back is that some of givers don't know much about them and bit tricky to research when only know what it is in general terms but well worth it.

ecrane3-Yes I think the bridal wreath is a spiraea now that you mention it.
Thanks for your suggestions as well!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #3567685

Hi 81302, your very welcome, if you dont ask, you dont learn, thats how I did it and also read many books, but some of them are too tech for me, I dont really want to know how Darwin found the plants< I just want to know how, where and when to grow them, so asking is good and everyone has different ways of doing things, but all roads lead to Rome as they say, so we end up getting there in the end, we sometimes just need to adapt to what suits you, good luck, hope all goes well. it is worht a try anywy. WeeNel.
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 3, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #3568969

Hi WeeNel,
Love your comments about all roads leading to Rome and not needing to know how Darwin discovered plants:-) Those are my sentiments as well. I like to be adventuresome so frequently try plants haven't grown before either because love the look or someone offered for free am often foraging for information. Most of the people I know stick with a few favorites so often have no local source to ask.

I have read and continue to read many books too. My philosophy is can't have too many good gardening books and my collection is forever growing just like my gardens:-)
I particularly like your idea of taking cuttings of the rose bush and your method. Could I also do that with the bridal wreath spiraea? It is a huge shrub and I think taking a cutting would be far easier than the digging or is that one that can bend like canes on some roses and bury the bend to root a new one?
Thanks again for any input!
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

June 5, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3578612

Spirea can be grown from cuttings, but the easiest way is as you mentioned - layering - bending one of those arching branches down and burying it at the bend to form new roots. I'm picturing it being as huge and old as my grandmother's, so layering may be much easier than worrying about needing to rent a tree spade truck to dig out the whole root mass!
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2007
5:04 PM

Post #3578657

Thanks ever so much for the information wildgardengirl! You are right on with the way you are picturing the spiraea and I was so hoping that layering would work.
Big, big relief!!!!
wildgardengirl
Gregory, MI

June 6, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3582390

Glad to help - good luck with your shrub!!
I'm trying to get some for myself from grandma's. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America