Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Cyclemen: Will it grow?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 30, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
12:46 PM

Post #3565190

My son bought me a beautiful Cyclemen from a floral shop and it was doing very well on my kitchen window sill. Well one day I found it upside down in a pot that I had used to make a potroast, I didn't know what to do so I just put it back on the sill. It started to wilt. I freaked out cause my son was so proud that he bought me some thing with his own money.

I decided to cut all the leaves off and washed off all the roots with Palmolive and put it in the ground. Everyday we sit there watching the ground looking for life. What are the chances that it will survive? My son asks me everyday and I don't know what to tell him.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3565534

Unfortunately cutting off all the leaves was not a good thing to do, it needs its leaves to do photosynthesis and without any leaves you've definitely decreased the chances that it will come back. I would give it some time and see what happens, but it's tough for a plant to come back from that.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3565679

:( :( I am so dishearted about this. If it does show signs of life I will post it...Thanks so much for the info
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3565698

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Don't give up hope, some plants can come back from damage like that (it's similar to a case in the garden where the bunnies come along and chew off all the leaves on something). I don't grow cyclamen so I don't know how resilient they are, some plants may come back from something like this but some won't.
shanie8

June 2, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3566155

Don't worry

Just add some nutritions and take care of it
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3566166

Hello,
I am sorry about the plant! Maybe you can find one like it, I see them all the time at Wal-Mart and replace it. I am a Mama so I know what it means to the kido and you!

I had on once in a north facing window in my kitchen as well, it loved it there. I kept it deadheaded and it looked great for a very long time! But once the window got cracked open and it fell upside down on the floor that was it!

I know they are a bulb, or at least the one I had looked that way, so maybe it will come back after it sleeps for a while.

I don't know about washing it with soap. I have never heard about that, but I would not think that would be good for the roots. But like I said I have never heard of washing roots so...

I would run a search on them, I think there is a forum on this site about them, you may go there and get more info. They are a really pretty plant, and mine was very harty! I have actually been thinking of getting another one!

I hope it comes back of you can find something out that helps and conforts you and your kido! If anything you can use it as a growing and teaching expireance!! Maybe you can get some seed and grow a new one together or just find a new one and swap it out!

I presonaly have done that before and just acted really excited and said look it grow back!! Just like magic! LOL The "magic" fairs used to come and clean her room too!! Anyway she is 6 so...
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #3566380

Thank you everyone for the tips and encouragement. I know washing the roots with Palmolive was a little extreme but it had all that oil on it, but we wash our cars with it and the sides of the drive way is florishing. We had a family run Body Shop and that is what we used on the cars and we did that for 40 years and we had some really big tomatoe plants growing along the sides along the chain link fence.

I wish I could replace the plant and surprise my son but he is watching the place that I planted it like a hawk and wants HIS plant to come back. My son is 19 but because of a birth defect he's like a 5 year old innocent child. It's very hard to reason with him and explain concepts. I am just happy that he has come this far, he's going to college and even with failure we still encourage him to just try his best(even tho I cry at night cause I wish I could do more fto help him). I guess that's why I am so stressed about this situation.

Thank you so much for your help and letting me vent.
RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #3566896

Don't give up on it! Plants can really amaze you with their will to live!

Unless you used really hot water, I don't think washing it with soap will hurt it either. I wash my African Violet leaves with soap and water when they get so much dog hair on them that I can't just wipe it off, and I've washed the roots with it, too when I was repotting and couldn't get all the nursery soil off. I think it's fairly common to wash some plants with mild dish soap when they have pest problems, so don't worry about that too much.

It's always best to leave some leaves on a plant, but even still, if it was healthy before all this happened, it may have the energy left to push out some new leaves. I can help but think of all the plants that got hit with that last hard freeze we had. They lost all their leaves and didn't come back for several weeks, but almost all of them are leafing back out now. How long ago did you plant it outside?

What a special child you've been blessed with! You know, I think as parents, all we can ever really do is encourage our children to do their best. Skills and abilities aside, if they do that, what more could we ask for?

Hugs to both of you!
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
10:53 PM

Post #3567003

I planted it about a week ago in a semi shaded area. It's in a raised bed that surrounds the front door porch. I planted it where my son and I could sit and watch it. I don't know if it was a good idea that it is surrounded by Hostas. I am not knowledgeable about Mainland plants and found out hostas can get BIG.

Thank you for the hugs, my son will love them..lol..
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 2, 2007
11:53 PM

Post #3567212

Hi Lesnow, Really so sorry about you cyclemen, they are lovely little plants, I dont hold up much hope for your plant, but as everyone knows, nature has a way of proving us all wrong, these plants are normally corms, and it needed the leaves to die down naturely as this helps put some energy back into it as food so it will grow and flower again next year, also being from a florist shop, I am not confident that it will survrive your winter outdoors. Have you somewhere inside that you could place it back in a pot and keep it to grow again next year, they like shade from hot sun and a lite well drained soil, just keep the soil damp, not wet, it may sprout from the corm next spring, but dont think it will within this season, could you poss buy another plant from the florist, pop it in the garden where the dead one is, and as soon as your son spots it, tell him you want to bring it back inside so you can admire it (dont placed where it will get damaged again and away from the window as it will be too bright and dry. Remeber to tell him that after flowering, the plant needs to go to sleep so it can sprout into new growth for the next year, thats how nature works, talking of nature, look at the progress your son has made, bet your all real proud of him, hope he enjoys collage and with the care, love, help and attention you are able to offer him, he already is a success, no matter what the results of collage is, you will make a fine gardener, you have learned patience, gentleness, care and above all a great love, you cant buy that, I am the grandmother of a handsome boy who is Autistic, and believe me, I know what being unjudgemental is, what true unquestionable love is and riches beyond wealth, also sadness, worry, ignorance, and feelings of utter helplesness, but the that special love makes up for all the twists and turns the road ahead throws at you, be happy for your son and all he achieves and be happy that you were part of it all because you ARE that achievement, good luck and many more wonderful surprises for the future. WeeNel. Scotland Uk.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3567662

Oh Gosh WeeNel, your post touched my heart so deeply. Thank you so much for taking the time. As for my plant? He knows it's there and checks it 10 times a day. I'm praying that it atleast pops up a leaf...for his sake.

Loren
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3569306

Ok LeSnow, plan 2, honesty, I now know your son can comunicate in some ways, SO, would it be a better Idea to tell him that his silly MUM, in her rush to have dinner ready in time, knocked this very special plant over and you are trying your very best to get it to grow again, but it needs to rest and build up strength again like any sick thing does, BUT, the lady in the flower shop said that he could go choose a new plant for you ALL to care for, till the other one gets better, only a thought and just maybe he will understand that sometimes we do have accidents and it helps if we can All work it out together, because it is better than keeping it all inside, Well, I am trying, good luck, thinking about you both, WeeNel.
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #3569726

I totaly understand LeSnow and WeeNeel's post about made ME cry!! How Sweet! You son will do awesome! Just give him lost of love that is the most important thing besides hugs and kisses!

Having a 6 almost 7 year old, and trust me being a single Mama I TOTALY understand! I am having to come up with new ways to gt around things or explan things all the time! LOL

I also TOTALY get that you want to show your son that HIS plant it ok and is growing again, so here is what I thought about last night! LOL

Maybe you could find a smaller one of the same color (I would make sure that it had some blooms on it even if they where dying off! That way you don't get the wrong one! What a mess that would be! LOL)

Then after your son has gone to bed and you KNOW he is asleep cut the flowers off and some of the leaves and plant it!! Then the next morning or when ever he looks then "Magically" it has grown and is alive and all ok!

Then you can dig it up and bring it inside before the Hostas take over, and you can dig the "new one" that it "grow" i.e. the old one, and tell him that it is still a baby and babys need lots of sleep to grow strong, then he will have two plants he gave you from one!!

Anyway just a thought!

Hope that helps!

And keep you head up! The most important thing to your son is that you are proud of him and incourage him!! Lots of loven, hugs and kiss! It is amazing the power of praise, and the sparkle in your parents eyes to a child no matter what the age!!

As for the soap thing, I guess it was not that bad of an idea it the other plants grow so well!! I probably would have doen the save thing if it had oil on the root!! LOL

It will all work out just wait and see! And we are all here to help ya! Or at least try! LOL

Email me some time if you need to vent! LOL
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3569831

thank you for all the heartfelt posts..He is a very special person. Luckily he is the youngest and the only one still home. I can devote all my time for him.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3570291

That a girl LeSnow, your his mum, you'll work your way around this, Mum's do somehow, just remember, that even though he is the only one still at home, that can be even tougher for you, so give him all your attention, care and love, BUT, dont forget to be kind to yourself, you sure deserve it, do I ever know that one, we just forget that we, as the carers need some love and attention too, good luck. mail me also if you need to sound off, I may not understant you wonderful sons problems, but I sure will understand yours. be good and take care. WeeNel.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3570360

Thank you so much txflower and WeeNel, I just may take you up on that. I try to be tough, but, there are sometimes I am so down and discouraged I just breakdown and cry cause there are somethings that I can't help him with.

Loren
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #3573804

There is a peeper! It's just breaking the surface. Had to put my glasses on to really make sure it was, but, it's there!!!! :) :)

I can't wait. Im not going to tell him. When we go together to check it I will let him discover it...I am so HAPPY.

Loren
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #3574172

WOOOOOO WOOOOOO!!! ALRIGHT!!!!!! I am so glad!! He is going to get SOOOOOOO excited!!!! YAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

Congrates!!
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3574241

Thanks sooooo much txflower. I can't wait to see his face. I think I'm going to cry. Got this warm, fuzzy feeling now, hope I don't cry when he sees it.

Loren
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #3574261

That's great, so happy to hear it's coming back for you!
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3574287

Now you are going to make me cry!! I totaly understand! LOL You should VERY carefully dust some dirt away so you can see it clearly and get a pic with it and him!
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
6:55 PM

Post #3574288

Thank ecrane3. I am so giddy today. Can't seem to feel the ground, just too happy.

Loren
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 4, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #3575256

Well, well, well, Nature sure is wonderfull, I have just read the news LeSnow, and was so thrilled, I had to pull My husband over to the screen to read all of this, even he was so excited, (believe me that dont happen too often) you have had Txflower, Ecrane, Shanie, RainGazer
and myself, willing this little cyclemen plant to grow for your son, I feel exhausted just worrying all weekend about you both, what a great day for us all (I feel I can say that on behalf of them too, I hope) wish I could have been a fly on the wall just to see his lit up face, bet he had more confidence than all of us eh, is'nt being an inocent child just wonderful, we should all take a leaf out of their book, sally through life just knowing everything will be OK, I am so happy for you both, NOW DONT YOU DARE PUT THAT PLANT ANYWHERE NEER A ROAST, Ha, Ha, Ha, I know what this meens to you, my Autistic grandson just tugs at my heart strings also, you want to cocoon them from the world, yet, you know you have to let them take steps for themselves, but, boy, oh boy, are'nt these steps just so fantastic, too hard to discrib, but never forgotten, your just a wondrful Mum and he knows that, even if he cant show it, next step collage, he'll do it, he has someone like you going every step of the way with him, be good to yourself also, have a wonderful day, be thinking about you both, good luck. WeeNel.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3575312

Thank you, all of you that held my hand during this touchie time with my cyclamen. My son is elated and has his silly smile stuck on his face. God Bless you all. When it's big enough to pose I will take a picture of it and post it...

Always, Loren
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 5, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3576305

Phew !!!!!!! Loren, what a day eh, good night, I feel I will sleep well now, it's way past my bedtime, you have pleasant dreams too, after all you've been through. take good care, WeeNel.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2007
3:49 PM

Post #3582440

Here's a picture I took this morning. My son was counting the leaves, lol. He asked about the growth that's coming up on the top side of the leaves. He hopes it a bud.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 9:51 AM

Thumbnail by LeSnow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3653325

Well I have been out of it for the last few weeks! But I am SOOO glad it worked out!!
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3653586

Thank you txflower: the plant has six leaves so far...Thank goodness...my son looks at it everyday to make sure it's still there...lol
txflower
Canyon, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #3653603

That is SOOO neat! Oh as for the picture the thing on the top right is a new leaf! Maybe you have two now!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #3664279

Just read the story- I'm glad you have a happy ending! It sounds like it is in a good spot. and has a good mom and big brother.
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3664480

Well? I think my son has gotten the gardening bug...LOL. We went to Home Depot and he picked out some tomatoe and watermelon plants. He's now got his own little spot in the yard, I just hope he doesn't drown them. Oh gosh, I just thought about something...got to go check if he planted them pot and all.

Loren

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America