Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dgideon
Raymond, ME

June 2, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #3565551

I planted some nasturtium seeds (from 2006 seeds) last week. The package doesn't give any germination info. So does anyone know how long germination takes for these flowers? I've had good luck in the past starting seeds from leftover seeds but I'm getting worried that nothing has shown up yet. I planted them a week ago Thursday.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2007
3:01 PM

Post #3565566

Make sure you keep the soil moist and don't let it dry out. I started some on my back porch in the shade and they are about 10 inches tall/long. Good luck!

Susan
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #3565690

It seems to me that mine took about 10-12 days to show up. Hang in there.

Karen
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3567649

Hi Dgidion, Raggedyann is right, you need to waite a bit longer AND keep the soil moist, these seeds are as tough as old boots but have a hard shell so they need the moisture to get germination going, after that, they grow like toppsy, so as long as you kept the seeds dry and cool in storage, then they will be sprouting in about another week. good luck, WeeNel.
gkmbray
Smelterville, ID

June 3, 2007
3:45 AM

Post #3568114

Hello, I have found if I soak the seeds in a cup of water for 2 days before planting they come up fast! I did this again this year and they were poking out in 7 days!
paulabyers
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2007
2:59 PM

Post #3569257

i grow nasturtium seeds in a pot - planting in the fall due to the hot summers here. I do soak them and them put a plastic bag over the pot - with some samll bamboo stakes to hold plastic away from pot. takes a week or ten day to sprout. had some come back from reseeding ... my grandson thinks it is great fun that you can eat them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 3, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #3569527

Good to know that someone is teaching the next generation where food really comes from and the dangers of eating what you dont know about, growing in the garden, you can also eat the flowers and leaves in a mixed sallad, the flowers look so prety when mixed with the green sallad leaves, the Nasturtium leavs have a little nip to the taste buds though, any seeds that have a hard shell are faster to germinate if soaked in some warm water as it helps break down the shell quicker, things like sweet peas and veg peas pluss many others. If the seeds dont sink to the bottom of the water in a few hours, get rid, as they never will germinate. Happy gardening to you all, WeeNel

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America