Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: How to Prune Tomatoes?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #3571353

I have some Ace 55, Beefmaster, and cherry tomatoes(that's all the info on what kind of cherry tomatoes they are). I read a book that says, "cut all non-flowering stems that grow between the main stem and the leaf crotches". As easy as it sounds, I'm not really sure what they mean. Isn't any stem off the main stem creating a "leaf crotch"? And, how am I supposed to know if its going to be a non-flowering stem? Sure, it may not have a flower now, but it could...I think...according to the book you prune once a week starting a week after you plant the tomatoes...so, they're starting out small, how am I supposed to know what's non-flowering and what's not? lol...someday I'll figure this all out...any explanations would be helpful...thanks!

Kristie
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3572557

Kristie. To prune or not to prune is an ongoing debate among tomato growers. I am a non-pruner myself. Pruners usually prune back to a single stem and stake that stem. or to two stems. Nonpruners will use cages or the sprawl method. All the side branches will flower at some time. Pruning works best on the tall indeterminate plants.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00031.asp
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_july_1b_tomato.asp http://www.howtodothings.com/home-and-garden/a2947-how-to-prune-tomatoes.html
http://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/veggie/tomatoes_care/365

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #3574153

I just prune if a branch gets in my way or grows in an unhandy direction. I do take off all branches up to about 18" on the taller varieties. Keeps the foliage off the ground and away from soil borne diseases.

Folks say that you'll get bigger tomatoes by pruning...well, they won't be that much bigger, and you'll be taking off potential fruiting branches...thus fewer tomatoes.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 7, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3584617

I have used both these methods, ie nipped out the tiny side shoots between the stems/leaves, supposed to help get the friut to set and I have stopped the leader by cutting it off after 5 sets of flowers have come, got great results and loads of fruit, then in my absence, no one bothered to do this for me the following year, and there was no difference in the amount of fruit, the taste or the size. all I would say is that here in the UK, most gardeners have to grow their tomatoes cucumbers etc in the greenhouse because of the shorter growing season, so to cut down on space, I prefere to take off the side shoots, IF, I remember while in the greenhouse,BUT, if they get too big, then I leave them on, my fruits rippen quicker if I take the shoots off as they get more light/heat, so as stated before I joined in, it is a matter of preference rather than a must do, if the plants get too bushy, I just start to remove a few leaves, that seems to work for me, thought I would let you guy's know.
Good luck and happy gardening to you all. WeeNel.
gn63
Banks, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3584894

Hi there. I grow tomatoes. I have mine in buckets this year since I am unable to do much gardening anymore. I do take some of the shoots off as they grow but usually I do not . I like to see them grow and I just keep them watered and fed. I have several different kinds and my bush early girl has the most tomatoes on it. Take care...gn

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3585914

Here in the south, we need as much foliage as possible to keep tomatoes from sunscald.

Champaign is about 5 1/2 hours due north of me on the interstate...considerably further north...but tomatoes will still sunscald. Just make sure that you leave enough foliage on to cover your fruits some. You'll get patches of a semi-transparent type...sort of yellowish. Your tomatoes are cooking from the inside out.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3586513

Thanks guys for all the help! I'll probably only do some pruning if they get too big...I've never pruned before and did fine. This year though, I've tried the raised bed method and have planted the tomatoes a little closer together: 15 inches. So, I thought I should prune because of room. Thanks guys!

Kristie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America