-
AuthorContent
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3579125

Saturday we ended the day by making homemade chicken and shrimp egg rolls. We bought the wrappers but the filling was homemade, they were great. I looked at filling recipes online, then made up my own. The recipes called for cutting up Napa Cabbage, carrots, fresh mushrooms, green onions, plus a lot of other stuff. Lots of preparation which I didn't have the time or patience for doing.

I used a package of slaw mix, canned mushrooms, sweet vidalia onions, stirred fried lightly, seasoned with a slight amount soy sauce, chicken bullion, fish bullion, salad shrimp and frozen chopped chicken. This was a whole lot less trouble. I put a small amount of the stir fry in a bowl and just experimented with seasonings until I got the taste I wanted, then seasoned the whole pan, it had to cool anyway before we could wrap.

If you haven't tried making them, don't put if off because they are so much better than store bought frozen or restaurant made. Bob rolled them up and sealed them with a corn starch paste mix while I deep fried them. The leftovers we put in the refrigerate in a zip loc bad with a couple of paper towels to absorb the moisture. When we got ready to eat these I just heated up the grease and popped them in for 2 minutes. This made them a bit greasier than I wanted so I'll have to experiment with ways to reheat but keeping them crisp.

... can you give me any ideas???

Judy

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 2:52 PM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Click the image for an enlarged view.

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2007
12:05 PM

Post #3597554

we made up another batch of Egg Rolls at Noon Friday because I had
leftover filling from Saturday that I needed to use before it went bad. Merely rolling them up and cooking them in the fryer was really easy and they were even better than the first ones because the filling had more time to soak up the seasonings.

I tried reheating them in the fryer but they were too greasy, next I tried reheating under the broiler, better but a tad too dried out. I'll find a way yet.

Judy
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 10, 2007
5:33 PM

Post #3598624

I've never made them at home, but the takeout ones don't reheat well either. Try heating the oven and placing them on a cookie sheet. I was going to suggest making your filling in advance and just frying them up fresh each time as an alternative.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #3598814

andidandi

If you really like egg rolls, cheating/cutting down of the prep time as I did above makes it really easy and does not alter the taste as far as I could tell.

I put the last three in a no-stick skillet with a lid, fire on high, tuned after a couple of minutes and they heated up well, best so far.

Judy

kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

June 15, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3618491

The frozen ones do well in a microwave.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 15, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #3619682

You could try buying something that comes with one of those foil boxes for the microwave (like a pizza pocket) and then try reusing it. I don't know how those foil things hold up on reuse.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3619740

kyjoy - I tried the microwave first and it made them "limp" instead of crunchy, but they still tasted good. The frozen ones are made of sterner stuff than the wrappers we bought at Kroger. lol lol

andidandi - an idea I haven't tried, thanks for the posting.

Judy

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3620031

Judy,

when i fry eggrolls, i have a strainer over a bowl so excess oil in the eggroll will drip down to the bowl [eggroll should be standing in vertical position. i also have a rectangular pan {bread pan} lined with paper towel to transfer some of eggroll from the strainer] to allow excess oil or juice to drip. always try to have ur eggroll in vertical position so the excess oil will drip out or u will have one soggy eggroll from too much accumulation of oil or liquid w/in the eggroll... these way too, ur eggroll will be cruncher longer.

when i want to reheat eggrolls, i preheat the oven for 15 mins. at 300 deg. F. allow eggroll to reheat between 10 - 20 mins. also in vertical position, depending on how cold the eggroll is or the oven calibration. u should know ur own oven calibration, so watch those eggrolls being reheated.

eggroll should always be in vertical position or any oil or liquid in the eggroll will make them soggy. these is the reason why i never have soft or soggy eggrolls. when i make them they are alway crunchy.

eggroll crunchiness depends on the eggroll wrapper u use too. i use the super thin eggroll or lumpia wrapper, available only in oriental stores. u will know the difference as u broaden ur experiments in making eggrolls. here is a link for u to see the different types of eggroll wrappers is different from pot sticker wrappers and wonton wrappers.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Wrappers.html#rice%20paper

eggroll or lumpia wrappers are made to be thin to achieve crunchy eggroll skin.

pot sticker and wonton wrappers are made to be thick to with stand the way they are cook.

pot stickers are fried then little amount of water added to achieve the gooey nature of pot stickers

whereas wonton wrappers are more thicker in nature cause the wonton are cook longer either steamed or in soup.

the above explanation should clarify some mistakes in making eggrolls. as in nature different plants have different purposes like the herbs. Italian parsley is used in making Italian dishes, whereas cilantro is used in Chinese or Mexican cooking. in cooking the right ingredients always come to play in making the "right" dish. hth
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2007
6:38 AM

Post #3621072

MaVie,

How wonderful to hear from you!!! Your insight into cooking amazes me.

Thank you so very much my friend.

Judy
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2007
7:27 AM

Post #3621091

u're very welcome Judy. those insights were results from cooking experiments that failed and improved thru the years of cooking, all based on common sense and practicality. it is always nice to share these info with friends.

when i mentioned using STRAINER, i am referring to a big one about 10 inches in diameter by 5 inches deep. there are some cheap one u can get at the 99 cents store. using the strainer is a good way of saving some of the oil in the bowl and not in ur mouth as u bite into the eggroll.

next time u go into the city or visit an oriental store, check the freezer section. check the different wrappers available... u will notice the different thickness of those wrappers.

looking at the eggroll photo u have on the 1st thread, u used wonton wrapper - is not and will not be as crunchy as the thin lumpia wrapper. in the orient, we never use wonton wrappers for eggrolls cuz the finished product tend to be floury and soggy.

edited to add... no offense intended, merely trying to clarify use of right ingredient will make a great difference in cooking food from a different background.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2007 7:38 PM
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3653810

MaVieRose,

Thank you so much my friend for the helpful suggestion of "always try to have ur eggroll in vertical position" This afternoon I cooked about a dozen or so eggroll and they were so much better than my first batch.

Judy
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 24, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #3653879

I'm curious, what are you frying these up in, and what oil are you using? A deep fryer? Now that I think of it, it could be one the items that would be easy to do for vegetarians if you fried the veggie ones first, and then the meat. Good info from Ma Vie as always. Thanks!

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #3653906

The fryer is "Rival" bought at Sam's and just the neatest thing!!! We use peanut oil. I can cook 3 eggrolls at a time in it, probably could go 4 but ...

I'm not a meat person, for some reason just don't like it, so mine are mostly veggies, however I do add a little chicken and shrimp for the DH.

Judy
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3654288

it is always a pleasure to give helping hand to friends.

Andi, i used to use peanut oil, but now changed to regular Olive oil. i use a regular casserole or any heavy duty pot to fry egg rolls.

when i make egg rolls, i make a big batch. i either freeze more than half of the batch or partially fry the veggie egg roll prior to freezing.

meat egg roll, i used powder mash potato to "extend" the meat, instead of bread crumbs. this method, i do not have to use so much meat. u can either use ground beef, pork,, chicken or turkey.

Judy i do not know what veggie combo u use to make the egg rolls. sauté ground turkey or chicken with cabbage, green beans, bean sprouts and sweet potato. . as the egg roll will be wrap, add a pinch of glass noodles [pre-soak in hot water] in the egg roll. will give u another texture and flavor in the egg rolls venture. u can also add crush dry roasted peanuts, if u wish.

in the Phils., using the lumpia wrapper, the sautéed veggies is wrap and eaten as is. they call this fresh lumpia. my preference if i am too lazy to wrap the egg roll, i use lettuce leafs in place of lumpia wrapper. that is just me. i do not know if others do it.

in the orient,fried egg roll is dip in combination of 1 fresh garlic clove [crushed in salt with aid of fork to attain fine garlic.] added to vinegar. used this to dip the fried egg roll. don't shun until u try it.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3656393

I just watched some guy on Food Network make eggrolls which he dipped in and egg wash before frying. I think that may be what some of the local places do to get that crust coat on the outside of their eggrolls.

Great tips and information on the cooking and wrappers:)
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #3656516

egg roll making or cooking has been done by family members since time in memorial - numerous generations! recipes were pass on, but none of the above mentioned info has been heard off. why complicate a very simple recipe/technique?

fyi, lumpia wrapper is only made from flour and water, and cooked like crepe style - super thin, hardly thick at all... which is why the wrapper get crunchy after it is fried. as i have said, the only reason why the wrapper can be soggy is due to the wrong wrapper used and if fried lumpia is laid horizontally, the oil and juices from the inside content will saturate the wrapper to make it soggy!

no pun or offense intended, but experience has taught better lessons. have u tried making egg rolls urself?
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 25, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3656761

I didn't realize that you could deep-fry food in olive oil. I thought the smoking temperature was too low.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #3656860

i do it for health reason. so far, i have not burnt anything yet, using regular Olive oil for frying. sometimes, i do use EVOO in sautéing veggies, depending on the recipe of course.

if u go beyond 370 deg. F, definitely any oil for that matter will burn. lol.

just found this, perhaps give u an idea http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_oil_smoke_point.htm 'tis true what they say, every day we live, we learn .
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #3658094

MaVie,

Interesting information on that link. Thanks for posting you use olive oil, I'm going to try that next.

Judy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3658124

You can also fill the wrappers with pie filling and cook them the same as the egg rolls. They come out similar to the little fried pies at McD's only much better!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3658229

psychw2

You have hit on something I love fried pies and I hadn't thought to cook them in the fryer. Thanks for the info.

Judy
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3658307

oh there are many uses for Olive oil. the past 40 yrs. i use olive oil as skin moisturizer too. no! it is not oily at all - the skin absorb the oil as u rub or massage it on ur skin immediately after a shower. if u begin from ur face down to ur feet. by the time u reach ur feet, everything rub from above down will already be dry or absorb by the skin. what the olive oil does is seal ur pores to retain the moisture from ur shower. after all, what can be more organic for ur skin, or food u consume than Olive Oil! http://beauty.suite101.com/article.cfm/home_remedies_from_olive_oil , http://www.care2.com/greenliving/choose-the-best-cosmetic-ingredient.html

Judy, i hope u also have read about flavoring Olive oil on the link above prior to this post.

edited to add more link http://www.healthmad.com/Beauty/Olive-Oil-for-Your-Skin.24801 , http://www.skin-care-recipes-and-remedies.com/moisturizer.html

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 7:46 PM
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #3659244

I'll check out the links in the morning, I'm up with "puppies", so thought I would check in at DG.

I so appreciate you taking the time to post your personal expeience, plus the links.

Judy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America